A DC pulp universe?  I am there!

A sneak peak I managed to stumble upon.

--RTT

deano_ue

why is batman using guns???

murs47

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on October 25, 2009, 06:53:12 PM

I think it's a different universe. So different take on the character I suppose. Anyway, this has definitely grabbed my interest.

RTTingle

Quote from: murs47 on October 25, 2009, 07:36:59 PM
Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on October 25, 2009, 06:53:12 PM

I think it's a different universe. So different take on the character I suppose. Anyway, this has definitely grabbed my interest.

In the first few comics, Batman did use a gun.  It's part of his early history.  Knowing that, I'm not shocked and it only draws my interest more into this pulp DC universe. 

I'm anxious to see the Sandman, Question and quite a few others make their appearances.

RTT

GhostMachine

Definitely going to have to pick that Batman/Doc Savage special up. The art looks great, and I like both characters.

steamteck

It looks very cool but I've really really hated everything Brian Azzarello has written and I have never frogiven him for the Superman story "For Tomorrow".. He seems like a guy who completely would not understand pulp. Maybe I'm wrong and he's good with his pulp hat on.

I am a huge huge Doc Savage fan so I will have to check it out.

lugaru

With all this noir I was wondering where the pulp was at, re-reading planetary really wet my chops. Also what most people dont get about characters like Wolvie, the punisher and so on is that they are not trendy anti heroes so much as pulp heroes... you know... exotic locations, killing henchmen by the dozen, crazy looking villains. I'm glad DC is doing this and I hope they throw the ball pretty far, like "batman with guns" is already worth the price of entrance in terms of being different enough. I think Wonder woman could make an amazing pulp hero if made more of a two fisted jungle explorer type with guns and a propensity to wrestle dangerous animals and gigantic, muscular henchmen.

BlueBard

Sure, now they say "no superpowers".  I predict that the line separating the non-super from the super will grow very, very thin.  Because the line got pretty thin with some of the old-time pulps as well, and why should this be any different?
STO/CO: @bluegeek

daglob

The few pulp characters that had a "super" power usually had just one. Granted, The Green Lama crossed over into comics and became a precurser to Dr. Strange, but that was not common. I don't know if you would call The Black Bat's enhanced senses one power or five, and how you would define The Spider's ability to take more damage than a bull elephant, but still... most pulp mystery men had no super powers. Then again, neither does Batman...

RTTingle

Finally picked up the Batman/Doc Savage one shot special...

... really enjoyed it.  Story was decent and I like the world that it opens up --- not sure how to pin it down exactly yet, but it seems to be a something stuck int he pulp time, but with some modern advances.  Best to just say its just --- "Another time, another place..."  Excited about some of the characters they are bringing in... like the Avenger! 

Congrats DC... first time I think I'll ever subscribe to a comic.

RTT