Artemis' Skins: Let's pretend it's on a model... 26/06/2010

Started by Artemis, August 08, 2009, 04:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenolith

Good luck, and farewell is not fogotten.

Outcast

Sorry to see you go but i wish you good luck with the Uni thing. :mellow:

Artemis

wow, 8 years of freedom force and I have only just gotten started with a base skin that I didn't immediately hate within the 1st 30mins.

Of course, it's a female base - I rarely skin male heros and if I do there are many fine bases out there, and I mean no offense to the current female base skins when I post this; it's just I would like my work to be a little but more *MY* work, I think that makes sense?
I'm not finished totally, there are some alignment issues, I need to do some eyes, I also need to work out how to get a convincing flesh tone in photoshop so any help would be greatly appreciated with that. And the lower abdomen REALLY need to be re-worked, she looks slightly flabby  :unsure: ....

Spoiler

laughing paradox

Welcome back, Artemis, and good work so far on the skin base. You're right about the bottom half of the tummy, but I'm sure you'll get it going. Looking forward to the final base. No clue how to make flesh tones from a desaturated base, unfortunately. I thought most base skins started as flesh tones and then you could desaturate, accordingly.

Podmark

That's a nice base Artemis, I always have a lot of respect for people who make their own base.
I'd work a bit on the point where the torso and lower half match up. They don't really flow right now. Otherwise really nice.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

That is looking very good. One way to get a flesh tone pick a flesh color and open up the hue/saturation box and check the "colorize" box. Then play with the sliders to get something you want. You may have to do some more editing outside of that like levels adjustments and such.

Podmark

Quote from: murs47 on May 26, 2010, 06:09:41 PM
That is looking very good. One way to get a flesh tone pick a flesh color and open up the hue/saturation box and check the "colorize" box. Then play with the sliders to get something you want. You may have to do some more editing outside of that like levels adjustments and such.

That's a good trick, I didn't know that.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Artemis

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, they really helped me in creating a nice base colour (I used levels, vibrancy/saturation, brightness/contrast and a bit of overpainting) , but theres still a little bit more colour adjusting to go before it's done....and then i still need to work out some of the alignment issues but no charcter tool or nifskope is making it VERY difficult. SO I've been working on skins just trying to get ideas down, working flat and praying that it will all fit together nicely when I finally see it in CT. But I'm not going to show you that...I've been working on some faces, trying to create something distinctively me....I'm quite happy with the result. Can you guess which Marvel characters I tried to capture? (you really shouldn't struggle with the second face)

Artemis

Just adjusted some things and thought about some lenses for the Black cat mask -I may do a two pack,

ANd I think elektra looks SO much prettier with some stylized eyeshadow - no more crazy MAN eyes.

I realise I gave away who they were meant to be - but, no one guessed! But I have a third WIP face here - who could she be? (again, marvel....and she could be described as similar to both BC and Elektra in that she was also the love interest of a street level hero.)

murs47

Nice improvement on the eyes. I really like the brown-eyed version. Good job on the Black Cat's facemask. My guess for the new face is Black Widow.

laughing paradox

Those are good faces... your style reminds me a little of Revenant, which is very cool.

I actually thought the mask was meant for Ms. Marvel at first! I like how that mask came out.. did you use the Plastic Wrap filter or just add the white seams on your own? The eyes look really nice on all of them.

Artemis

@ LP: Thanks, Revenant is one of my favourite skinners, I love his style but I never set out to copy it - but looking at the facial work on his skins I do see a sense of similarity - although, I wish i could get mine up to his incredible standard.

@ Murs: Right mr! Black widow it is! very good!

Okay, I've been skinning quite alot...only - no characater tool still. :(

But, i plan on getting something to view all my work properly but for now i wanted to show how I've grown....here is my 3rd? avatar skin done way back in 2003/4, using a C6 base...I joined a group of skinners which included Figurefan, Spring Heeled Jack, Supercracker and more in the Valiant - we made costumes with a silver age inspired feel...

Spoiler

And here is my re-working. 5/6 years later, with my own base skin.

Spoiler

Stilla  WIP but very nearly done, I want to make the soles of the boots look a bit more utility boot like. and other little finnishings.

Any thoughts?

murs47

One heck of an improvement! I like the design change to the mask a lot.

Artemis

Thanks Murs, I need to say THANK YOU for those amazing tutorials, they gave me some great insight into skinning and help with this skin!

Ewzzy

Artemis

@Ewzzy : I have no idea...I need to get a pc to use character tool - my mac wont run it unfortunately :(

electro

You can look at meshes in nifskope - It helps to view your skin on the mesh because some meshes morph certain areas of the body - I like what i'm seeing so far from you :blink:

Figure Fan

These faces look amazing! I love the costume on the new version of your avatar :-)

Those were certainly the days when we had our Valiant costumes and such. :-)

Cyber Burn

Your newwer avatar shows a lot of improvement, my only suggestion would be to look at the difference between the arm/leg patterns (fire motif?), and the torso/face patterns (almost looks leafy/branchy?). But otherwise, everything looks really good. The imprint on the ponytail is really cool as well.