DC Is Animating Dark Knight Returns

Started by JeyNyce, May 23, 2012, 08:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeyNyce

No matter how you feel about Miller, at least give this movie a fair shot.  I'm not saying go out and buy it, but rent it or wait for it to go on Netflix.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BentonGrey

Quote from: John Jr. on September 24, 2012, 10:38:12 PM
I agree with DM about how we need to get back on topic, so I'll try be short:
- I really liked Miller's Daredevil and Batman Year One (but I agree 100% with Tomato about Miller's take on Catwoman).
-Again I agree 100% with Tomato about Miller's take on the Superman/Batman characterization.

And talking about Miller and movies...
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/24/what-would-be-your-reaction-to-frank-millers-justice-league/

That was a fascinating and incredibly depressing story.  Seriously?  Freaking suits.  Pick up some comic books, invest in the characters, and figure it out.  It isn't rocket science.  And yes, for the love of all that is good and holy, look at Marvel.

As for the matter at hand, though....I can CERTAINLY understand the distaste that Miller has left in y'all's mouths.  I feel pretty much the same way...and I think it says a lot that I thought Dark Knight Returns was about the height of comics-as-literature when I discovered it at around 18 or so.  The tale resonates with that angry teenage demographic, and there's no doubt.  It's certainly a skewed take on Batman, and I agree, one of the problems with Miller is that his Batman is ALWAYS that Batman, etc.  Still, I do have a soft spot for DKR.  It's a pretty good book, taken as an elseworlds tale.  It isn't Batman, it isn't Superman, but just a neat pretend story.  I enjoy it that way...though, I do have to say, I don't think that the Batman portrayal in that book, (and let's be specific here, because there are miles and miles of differences between DKR I and DKR II and All-Star Batman) is really that far off base. 

It's got its weaknesses, especially when viewed against the backdrop of Miller's later body of work, but by itself, its' a darn good Batman story.  At least, I've always found it so.  Bruce is a good man, and some of that is probably lost in Miller's 'dirty world' version, but he's also a man with incredible will.  When he brings Gotham back from the brink of annihilation, literally riding in on a horse to save the day...I don't know, that's always just worked for me. 

Anyway, I'm curious about this movie version, as it is likely the only way my wife will ever experience this incredibly seminal comic story, and I'd like her to have a better understanding of the mythos at play in our world, comics-speaking.

Clark's portrayal is less appealing, I'll happily grant that.  I much prefer the idea put forward in Cooke's New Frontier, that Bruce and Clark staged their fight so no-one would bother to send Supes after him.  Batman and Superman are friends, they are and they should be, and 'Mato expressed that concept well, so I won't try to gild the lily. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Spe-Dog

So...did anyone actually see the movie besides me?  I really enjoyed it as it was more faithful than most of these to the source material.  I find that some of these animated films make needless changes and cuts to the source and here it was mainly retained. Weller as Batman was great and I really loved the movie and animation as it was fairly close to Miller's original art.

Though I do agree about the Superman/Batman dynamic, I think that their approaches to justice are different and though it may start out as a grudging respect it would become friendship/allies over time.

That being said, you can appreciate this book, and movie, as an alternate take on the relationship dynamic.  After all this is Miller's vision, not DC canon.
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker

Reepicheep

I don't know how I feel about Frank Miller. I'm a fan of Sin City, though I am guilty of being a movie first, comics later fellow. I feel that within his own rules, world and boundaries he actually produces good work. I feel this, because I don't need to feel like I have to trust him. Now if he is stepping into the Justice League - its a world created by others, and others have set the rules. I don't think Miller is very good at staying within those rules. I don't want to have to trust him.

I caught this the other day, and I really really enjoyed it. I didn't actually feel Batman or the entire plot was particularly uncharacteristic - at least, less so than I expected. But I'll leave it to others to judge properly.

Don't avoid it just because it has Miller's name attached. It was a good watch.

Cyber Burn

Glad it's getting good reviews, I was planning on picking it up today.  :thumbup:

Cyber Burn

Definitely a good watch, Peter Weller did a good job as Batman, can't wait for part 2.

kaflinkle_rises

I saw it and loved it. I admit I've never read the comic though. It was more violent than I was expecting but overall a good story and good animation, Gotham really looked gloomy and depressing (even more than usual) and the main characters looked tired and world-weary.

I personally am looking forward to part 2.

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!