• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

The odd and curious CoX journey of AncientSpirit ...

Started by AncientSpirit, December 08, 2008, 09:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AncientSpirit

The wise and unknowable AncientSpirit began his long and fateful journey right here in the pages of this forum.

For it was here that I read of a SG on the Pinnacle that was a copyright violation tribute group to the most famous DC characters of all time.  Each and every member had to assume the identity of a DC character, but none could repeat one already taken.

Being ancient, I reached back into my memory and pulled out Tommy Tomorrow - a space cop from the silver age - and probably the ONLY DC toon never to be "brought back" into modern continuity.   

Lt. Tomorrow grouped with Superman, Batman, Hawkman, Powergirl, Deadman, Flash and many many different incarnations of Green Lantern, from Hal to Kyle to Guy.   All characters had "secret identity" clothes to be worn in public, lest the devs grow wise.

However, there was a disgruntled child in their midsts - Batman - who had a plan to take down every superhero, just like he once did in the comics.   And I witnessed the whole scale GEN-ing of not only virtually all the characters in the group ... but the very name of the SG itself.     Amazingly, Lt. Tomorrow was one of the few toons spared although his costume and name were direct copyright violations.   Seemingly, none of the devs were old enough to recognize poor Tommy as even being a DC character.

Then, I watched this SG try to rebuild their tribute club to copyright violation.   But my heart wasn't in it any more.   For the name of the GEN-ED SG - "SG Gen001"-  told me that this was the first and only SG to be so honored.

Instead, I turned my attention Redside - where I had created my own tiny VG, a tribute to Bizzaro World.   Here, I could create my versions of bizarro JLA characters without violating any ethics ... for who knew that Yellow Feather, dressed in yellow rather than green, and who was a cowardly MM archer who needed street thug bodyguards to protect him, was my bizarro version of Green Arrow.  Or that my giant Brute "IttyBittyMonicule" was really the Bizarro Atom?  These characters gave me the opportunity to try to build a VG, my first SG of any kind.   I belonged to SGs  - NRF and FR - but never was involved with building anything, finding tp beacons - so it was a great experiene that opened up a whole other part of CoX to me, a part I recommend to all others.

AncientSpirit tried to replicate the SG experience on the Champion server.  But he immediately ran into two overwhelming problems.   1) Heroside, he found himself trying to recreate the heroes he had already brought to 50 on the Freedom server; and 2) other servers were not as "crowded" as the Freedom server.   One cannot log onto the Freedom server without getting a million tells to join a group.  Other servers were as dead as poor Marley's ghost. 

So yesterday, AncientSpirit began a small SG on Freedom called "Spirits of Ancient Heroes" - and began dusting off his old toons and playing them again. Almost immediately, he hooked up with Eph and God's Gift, and was in the thick of the ITF, which we finished in near-record time (45 minutes) - and AS earned his first reward merits, under the new system.

I had always heard that one got out of SG mode at about level 35.  But now, at level 50, with no need for experience, AncientSpirit re-entered SG mode and looked to gain prestige points rather than anything else. 

But the SG experience is slow Blueside.  Unlike Redside, there are so many more places to tp too, and a One-Man SG takes so long to build prestige in.

SO IF YOU CAN MAKE ALLIANCES FOR YOUR SG ON THE FREEDOM SERVER, PLEASE REACH OUT TO ANCIENTSPIRIT and form a coalition with him or one of his many alts.

For with your help, the unpredictable and unknowable AncientSpirit's odd journey through the lands of CoX will ... continue.

If you dont mind having another person in the SG i could help earn prestige? ill hit you up in game.

BlueBard

A) I have empty slots on Freedom.  (I mostly play on Virtue but Freedom's fine if it's not laggy.)

B) I haven't seriously tried levelling up an alt with shields yet.

C) I wouldn't mind joining an SG.  (Is this intended for 'tribute' heroes, or open to others?)

Figure Fan

So you're thinking of doing a tribute SG for villains? Or..what?

I'd be interested in joining.

AncientSpirit

No, blueside is no tribute SG.   I learned from that "tribute" group on Pinnicle that one person risks getting the entire SG gen-ed - and it ain't pretty.   Right now, blueside has no amenities ... no sick bay, no teleporters, etc.  Just saving up prestige for those things.   (SO IF ANYONE CAN SET UP A COALITON WITH ME, THAT WOULD REALLY BE APPRECIATED.)

Redside, my VG on the Pinnacle Server IS a tribute group - but not really.   Since the idea is to be bizarro versions of the JLA, I have toons like the Yellow Arrow (MM who needs a group of thugs to protect him) ... to the Sp-Sp-Speedster who is a stuttering Stone Brute, who is as slow as the Flash is fast ... to White Thunderstorm who is a twisted Black Lightning.  And "My Favorite Martian" is more Ray Walstan than Martian Manhunter.  In other words, the only copyright violations are in my own mind.   :)

Figure Fan

Oh cool!

I'll have to see what I can come up with. I've never played on Pinnacle. Yay!

MJB

Figure Fan

CRAP! I keep misreading AncientSpirit's post! :angry:

AncientSpirit

Thanks you, "Pharoah Flame" for joining my little group -- and congratulations to your little Grinch, who not only stole Xmas, but walked away with 10 MILLION influence seconds later in the CC in Atlas!