• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

stumbling blocks

Started by bearded, December 05, 2008, 01:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearded

i'm trying to make a comeback, but every time i try merging meshes, or sometimes even if i'm simply loading a complicated work such as spiral into max, it crashes.  maybe it has something to do with handles, or nodes?
however i'm also noticing sometimes the keyframes don't export properly and i have to re export them.
so...
my plans are:
1.  finish liberty lady and silver
2.  uncle marvel
3.  witch woman
4.  claw for bentongrey
am i forgetting anything?

oh, and a neat trick.  those of you with max, try this:  take a mesh and move the whole thing, bounding boxes and all 3 grid boxes to the left.  export it like this, and make 2 different characters with it.  put them in the danger room or something to fight each other and watch what happens!  this should work excellently with a motercycle mesh, but i haven't tried that yet.

tommyboy

It might be teaching grandma to suck eggs, but when 'merging' meshes are you remembering to delete the biped from the 'donor' mesh first? Because unless I do that, I get a crash every time I try to merge any mesh that has physiqued parts in it.
And as for spiral, dunno, either your pc is messed up, or your Max is, or the spiral file is, I'd guess.
If you can load other files but not her, it suggest to me perhaps that file is corrupt, or from a later version of max or some such.

bearded

aha!  i had forgotten how to suck eggs.  thanks for the update.
another thing i've forgotten is how to fix the darkened mesh problem i used to have on my old meshes.  my medusa mesh is dark.  anyone remember the hex settings?  or is there a way to use nifskope to set it up?  also, i seem to recall ppl saying nifskope could add effects to a mesh, glow, refl, all that.
5.  also working on herby for daglob (does he ever say 'it's globbering time!'?) but i've lost the max for it.  did i share it with anyone?
can nifskope be used to view core start and end fx?  can fx be altered thereby?
why does ice grow with the size of the target, and how can i get other fx to do that?
6.  oh!  and working on a sheild fx for usagent.  if i animate an fx rotating, will it perform all animations?  is there a difference for animating fx for projectiles?

UnkoMan

Hey Bearded... By Herbie do you mean the Fat Fury mesh you did?
I think I have that mesh somewhere at home. I was going to skin it but got caught up in other stuff (also it was missing the head plunger). If I find it and my home internet is working I'll send it to you.

Unless you mean Herbie the love bug... then I've got nothing.

bearded

that would be good.  do you have the max for it?  otherwise, maybe i could make the plunger and export it and use the magic of nifskope to put it in place.

BentonGrey

Glad to hear you're working on Claw Bearded, I can't wait to see that murderous machine!  In the meantime, I think I can help you with one of your questions.  I encountered that darkened mesh thing a lot with the DCUG, and it has a simple fix.  Open the nif in nifskope and find the actual mesh node, male_basic or whatever.  Open its sub groups and find the one with the painters palette next to it.  Click on the palette icon (one click does it) and you'll open a screen with four colored triangles.  The bottom right says "Emissive Color," which controls how bright it is.  Move the little circle at the bottom of the triangle from left to right.  Somewhere about the middle is usually about where you want it, depending on just how dark the mesh is.  I hope that helps!

UnkoMan

I'm fairly certain I don't have the max, but I am 100% certain I don't have the internet at home. If anybody else can help you before I get it back up then hooray! If not, then you'll have to wait a bit. That is, assuming I can find the mesh.

(oh man, this is getting bleaker and bleaker... but he's so cool! I want a Fat Fury!)

bearded

thank you bentongrey.
the biggest block i have right now none of you can help me with.  i have about an hour a day for  :ff: .  i spend about 20 minutes installing new skins and meshes, 20 minutes playing, and any time left over for meshing.
7.  an idea for a hang glider nif.  i'm wondering if it could be use as flight fx.
8.  scuba steve.  male basic with scuba gear and swimming keyframes.  in case anyone wants to visit bentongreys aquaman.