• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Eureka

Started by Ares_God_of_War, August 19, 2008, 07:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ares_God_of_War

So who else likes this series? I was a little sad with today's episode.

GhostMachine

Glad I saw this thread in time and there were no spoilers, because I forgot to watch it earlier and the re-run will be on in a few minutes.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Love this series, although I have to watch it on Hulu.  Today's episode should be up there some time tomorrow.

EDIT:  Saw it now, very sad alright, but very well done at the same time.

[spoiler]Probably one of the best send-offs for a character.  Normally they just feel like excuses to get rid of character of a departing actor.  While that may have been the case here, it doesn't FEEL that way somehow.  It works.[/spoiler]

Ares_God_of_War

[spoiler]Yeah Stark was definately one of my favorite characters.[/spoiler]

I believe there is only maybe 1 or 2 episodes left in the season. I really hope there is a new season because I don't think the story lines will be able to be tied up to well

Ajax

There is more than that Ares. The average Eureka season is 12 episodes at least. We're only on what? Episode 4?

[edit] did a quick search. If there are only 8 episodes, which the internet seems to be saying, I'm going to be upset.

Ares_God_of_War

its the whole writers strike deal that caused this. I ddint think there would be 8 I thought it was less. It affected a few series like southpark this season was only 7 when it is usually more.

Ahhh I found the episode # so we are now half way through

Ajax

They said something about still filming during Comic-Con so maybe they have episodes they haven't announced yet. Hopefully. Maybe. Eureka is one of the few shows I look forward to every year, to have it cut short would suck. Heck I consider my summer TV schedule better than the fall/spring series. Burn Notice, Monk, Psych, and Eureka. Stupid writers. And from what I've heard from some of the vets, they didn't even get that good of a deal out of the strike. So I suffer for naught! >.<

Ares_God_of_War

yeah I heard the same. I know Battlestar Galactica will finish up next year instead of this one due to the strike. I hope they have more episodes this season to flesh out the new villian.

catwhowalksbyhimself

The writer's strike did effect this season, but in the opposite way you think.  There will be a grand total of 21 episodes this season.

Glitch Girl

Re: "I Do Over"

Is it just me or are the Degree product placements getting REALLY annoying?

Moving on (spoiler to follow)

[spoiler]I'll be honest, after last week's episode where Henry was going to tell Carter "later" about the work he did for Thorne, that he was going to be the one to bite it (even after it took a few episodes to bring him back).  I'm glad they didn't go the obvious route.

I like most of the cast and wouldn't be too enthused to lose any of them.  I will miss Stark, but I thought they handled it well, and considering this is a) a science fiction show, and b) a death involing a tear in time/space, there's a slim possibility we may see him again someday.  Though I kinda hope not.  I'd like to see a show stick to it's guns whgen it does something drastic like this.[/spoiler]

AncientSpirit

I also enjoy Eureka - but wasn't saddened at all at the character who was lost.   The guy was such a pain in the butt, I had trouble ever buying into the fact that he commanded the attentions of the leading lady. 

But then again, I also had problems with the CEO of this super smart organization sitting on his lap in a public place in the last episode.  I've known a lot of lady CEOs in my time, and not one has ever acted so inappropriately when in the company of her colleagues and subordinates.

(Um ...despite how that sounded, I really really really LIKE this show.)

Ares_God_of_War

I liked him because the character was a pain in the arse.

I can also understand your position but I think we would lose a little emotional attackment if those characters acted super profesional unless we got more shots of them in private then we have been.

Also Cat where did you hear about the season #? and will it basically keep going or will there be some downtime?

GhostMachine

They could conceivably bring him back, but I hope if they do so its not until late next season, or preferrably the one after.

[spoiler]They could say that he was actually thrown forward in time, and it was more or less an....after-image....we saw disintegrate.

Truthfully, I wish they had killed off Fargo instead, but I'm just glad it wasn't Henry who bit the dust.[/spoiler]

Ares_God_of_War

I agree with your assesment there GM. I actually had a brief glimmer of hope when he volunteered. If they do I definately dont want it to happen this season even if this season is as large as Cat says

Ajax

The degree product placements can be seen in two ways. One shameless product placements. Or as a clever way of tying real life commericals into the over arching theme of this season. Since it seems to be "how to fit science into a society of consumers". Reason why I think it might be the latter (to some degree :D) is the lack of this kind of product placement in previous seasons. Yes they had cisco but it wasn't this blatant. Plus the Eureka themed Degree commercials and as mentioned before, it does kinda tie into the overarching theme. Though that doesn't stop them from being annoying. What this season needs is more Taggart!

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteAlso Cat where did you hear about the season #? and will it basically keep going or will there be some downtime?

Check out the show's wikipedia article, which include references and links to full announcements. 

GhostMachine

The fake product infomerical bits could be worse: they could have Billy Mays in them!

(Dude is doing a commercial for insurance now!)

Ares_God_of_War

Well, it says that the next episode is the season Finale which I still think is too short. So I am assuming the 21 episode season will next season

catwhowalksbyhimself

Nope.  This season.  They ran out of scripts because of the writers strike and have to pause a while.  From an article about it from ign

QuoteOne of the biggest changes for Season 3 is the fact that Eureka will be doing 21 episodes, as opposed to the regular 13 they did in the first two seasons. Craig explains that they were "rewarded by being given a 21-episode order, but we wanted to get as many episodes on during the summer, which is our normal cycle, as possible, and because of the strike eight was the number that we could actually physically have scripts ready to shoot to ration beyond. We are going to make those eight and going to shut down production while we frantically try to write and then come back and make an additional 13 episodes which will air whenever the network deems fit."

Ares_God_of_War

yeah I saw that too. I either must have heard it wrong on the episode the first time or they changed the wording of the commercial. I probably missheard cause now it says "mid season finale"

catwhowalksbyhimself

Easy enough to miss the word "mid."

GhostMachine

Ookay, the stuff with Degree is going too darned far. The stuff they used to survive the second sun that was created was pretty much a super-deodorant and they had metal cases with the Degree logo branded on them stacked up in one scene in GD.

So I think I've figured out what Thorne is after in that bunker:

[spoiler]The original formula for Degree, which was somehow lost and had to be recreated, but is nowhere near as powerful as the original formula which would actually let someone survive a nuclear blast at Ground Zero!  ;) :P :lol: [/spoiler]

(I posted that idea a day or two ago on the Sci-Fi forums)

Seriously, though, anyone else think Eva Thorne and Lexi suck and need to go, and that Zane kind of sucks but has potential?

Camma

Jeez GM were you in our house the other night when we watched the show?  You just totally sumed up everything we were talking about.

And Ares, i only caught the "mid" part of the season finale announcement cuz i had to rewind the tivo for my wife, it was barely audible.

Ares_God_of_War

I think thorne has a personal stake like it was her husband or something. I agree on the characters too. thorne I understand because she is the current villian. Lexxi is filler. Zane I am going to assume will fill the void left by stark in the carter/henry/stark triangle

Ajax

I like Lexi and Thorne. Thorne because I was tired of the artifact storyline and Lexi cause she and carter make me laugh. Zane has been a non-entity this season so I can't really say how I feel about him. Though I miss Kali from last season. Her and Carter were good together.