• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Shi Shi Mai

Started by Mowgli, August 14, 2008, 09:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mowgli

Hey there! I started this drawing back in January after returning from Tokyo. I just got back to it and inked it. I was taught about Shi Shi Mai, or protective lion spirits while I was there. I was "bitten" by one at a festival, which is supposed to be good luck. Then I went to an actual Kabuki preformance at the National Kabuki theater and part of the story was about a father shi shi teaching his son. As the story goes, these legendary spirits are often antagonized by playful butterflies. Hearing that, I got this image in my head and had to put it down on paper. I hope you like it! =)

I also updated this and some other new work to my web site, so stop by if you have the time! Thanks!  :)

Uncle Yuan

Ah yes, those pesky, pesky butterflies!!

That is a great pic, Mowgli, but it's just screaming for some ink . . .

Mowgli

...?

Um, it is inked?  :huh:

captainspud

It's awful! LEARN TO DRAW, NO-DRAWING-CAPABILITY!

AND GET OFF THE STAGE!

*lobs a beer bottle*

zuludelta

It looks great, and is by far, my favourite of all the illustrations you've posted in the forums (and you've posted some great images through the years).

Mowgli

Spud: Thanks man! Coming from you that's a compliment. (At least I wasn't impaled by a rusty meat hook.)

Zuludelta: Really? That's cool. I'm glad you like the image. It's been swirling around in my head for a while. I imagine it with vivid colors, especially in the designs on the butterfly. Alas, I suck at coloring. But thatnks for the reply man! BTW, how is Seniority coming? Any news?

zuludelta

Quote from: Mowgli on August 14, 2008, 04:23:45 PMZuludelta: Really? That's cool. I'm glad you like the image. It's been swirling around in my head for a while. I imagine it with vivid colors, especially in the designs on the butterfly. Alas, I suck at coloring. But thatnks for the reply man! BTW, how is Seniority coming? Any news?

It would look great as a full-back tattoo, especially with the red-green palette that's prevalent in much of East Asian iconography. I might try my hand at colouring it when I have the time.

As for Seniority... well between Tort and myself, we've had a fairly eventful past several months to say the least, and it's slipped down the priority order somewhat, but rest assured that we haven't forgotten about it (I was just talking to him about it yesterday).

MJB

This style seems to suit you. I like it a lot. Keep 'em coming!

-MJB

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on August 14, 2008, 11:27:51 AM
Ah yes, those pesky, pesky butterflies!!

That is a great pic, Mowgli, but it's just screaming for some ink . . .

Sorry, pardon my incorrect usage of terms.  :doh:   I meant to say coloring.  Of course it's inked.  Any fool can see that it is inked . . .

Glitch Girl

I agree with Yaun (after his correction of course) This pieces looks beautiful but would absolutely rock in color.  I love the face. 

UnkoMan

You might "suck" (probably not) but you should give a shot a colouring it anyhow. This picture is beggin' for some.

But yeah, awesome job.

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: zuludelta on August 14, 2008, 06:00:07 PM
It would look great as a full-back tattoo, especially with the red-green palette that's prevalent in much of East Asian iconography.

I would also say, "It would look great as an illustration in a children's book".  Allow me to add my voice to the others by mentioning that I can imagine a coloured version of this piece would prove to be a true treat for your students, Mowgli, not to mention the rest of your admirers here.  Excellent work!  :thumbup:

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Fop o' th' Morning