• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Started by Previsionary, July 19, 2008, 06:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Previsionary

I don't know how many people here watch it, but the finale just aired. I must say that season 3 is probably my favorite season of the show and when it first came out, I thought I'd hate it. It's amazing to see some of the tactics the heroes and villains used in battles and it's a refreshing change from all the cliche plans and strategies other heroes/elementals pull off on tv and in comics. I'm also amazed at the amount of violence that happened this season. The 2 hour finale had some nice animations/visuals and that's shocking for a Nickelodeon show. Heck, even the themes this year are something I wouldn't expect from a Nick cartoon (Death, revenge, war, figuring out a way to stop a major enemy without killing him, etc.).

So, anyone else seen it and have some opinions to share?

Glitch Girl

I missed the episodes leading up to the finale, so I'm a little behind, but not too far behind to enjoy the finale.  It's surprisingly dark for a "Nicktoon" but... dang that was a great way to end the series.

I have been enjoying Avatar from the begining.  I love how they used eastern philosophy and martial arts styles in the bending and whoever choeographs the fight scenes does a beautiful job.  It's been very solidly written (can only think of two or three weak episodes in the whole run), had very good story development, and was very well animated. 

Overall, highly recommended.

JeyNyce

What was the season finale called?  I may have seen it online already?

Previsionary

Quote from: JeyNyce on July 19, 2008, 07:10:47 PM
What was the season finale called?  I may have seen it online already?

I don't think it's online yet, unless Nick streamed it at the same time it aired on tv, but the episodes where combined together in a tv movie named: "Avatar: Sozin's Comet".

The individual episodes are:

• Sozin's Comet, Part 1: The Phoenix King
  • Sozin's Comet, Part 2: The Old Masters
  • Sozin's Comet, Part 3: Into the Inferno
  • Sozin's Comet, Part 4: Avatar Aang

Blkcasanova247

I loved the series finale....and hated the fact that it was the series finale. I thought  there was so much more story that could have been told. Left me a little luke warm.

Podmark

Really looking forward to this.

JeyNyce

finally saw it and I'm glad that it ended the way it did.  Too bad that's it for the show  :(

JeyNyce

After watching the ending, I just couldn't get it out of my head.  It's over, that's it, no more  :(  I'm going to have to buy the DVDs when they all come out and on sale.

Now that it's over, is anybody looking forward to the live action movie?

Xorn

I'm certainly looking forward to the live action movie... The plan is a trilogy of movies... I really enjoyed the finale.... And even my wife who has barely seen one episode of the show saw the ending and loved it so much she can't wait for the live action movie... go figure...

zuludelta

I have to say that Avatar is far and away the best made-for-TV cartoon series I've seen in terms of plotting and writing and is certainly in my top 10 for technical 2D animation (for the show to put so much quality in a weekly series is insane... Marvel/Lions Gate Studios should be ashamed with the supposed "feature-quality" stuff they're trying to pass off with their direct-to-DVD stuff).

I love how the writers managed to espouse non-violence and pacifism while still managing to work in enough physical conflict to keep things at a brisk pace.

The martial arts choreography is the best I've seen as far as portraying traditional Chinese arts in animation... authentic enough that the distinct styles are identifiable, but souped up enough that they really look devastating and otherwordly when used as bending techniques.

I had a feeling that the final episodes were written with somewhat darker outcomes in mind, though. But I was happy with how the series ended just the same. Definitely getting the DVDs when they come out.