• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Animated Iron Man Trailer...

Started by crimsonquill, July 15, 2008, 06:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crimsonquill

Well, most of us have been waiting for it... some feared it because it was about "teen" Stark..

Here it is: Click Here!

Watch and discuss...

- CrimsonQuill

Glitch Girl

The CG animation is very... bleah.  The toon shading just looks flat and dull and even cheap.  The bar's already been raised way above this level for syndicated animation. 

Teen Stark... left me meh.  Same with the rest of the Iron Gang introudced here.  Maybe it works better in an actual episode, but here, no. 

In short, trailer leaves me very VERY unimpressed.

BlueBard

Ugh.

Horrid animation.  The characters and visual style are too anime-looking.  The armor is completely blah.  And the kid Iron Man angle sucks.  I find the whole premise laughable.

MJB

The kid angle would probably be cool if I were a child. The animation looks awful. Very, VERY amateur looking. I had to double check that I wasn't looking at a fan trailer.

-MJB

billdamn22

Uhhh.......what the heck was that? :huh:

zuludelta

Looks like it was developed by the same guys who made Skyland, Le Nouveau Monde (France's Method Films studio). The Tony Stark model looks like a straight re-use of the model for Skyland's Mahad character, right down to the colour-scheme and the cowlick.

I would have preferred an updated re-telling of core Iron Man story concepts (similar to the successful Spectacular Spider-Man series' refreshing take on classic Spidey tales) , but I'll hold off on my nay-saying until I see the first few episodes (I don't have a lot of hope for "Teen Tony Stark" though... it was horrid when they did it in the comics back in the 1990s). 

Sevenforce

Previsionary

I don't have an opinion on this because A) I've yet to watch the trailer in full and B) The teen thing has been pulled off successfully before with the X-men though...a good deal of them started off as teens. :P

Anyway, here's a link expanding on the decision to make Tony a teen (until age is give, i'll assume 18/19 which isn't too bad). Like usual, it's a market/relatability issue. But yeah, when the show was announced for the nicktoons network, I pretty much assumed either the characters would be stripped of most of their defining characteristics and remodeled, so to speak, or it'd be at or just below the 90s iron man toon...season 1. *nods wisely*

I just wish the generic outline didn't sound so Batman related. Grah.

Glitch Girl

Quote from: Previsionary on July 16, 2008, 04:39:03 AM
But yeah, when the show was announced for the nicktoons network, I pretty much assumed either the characters would be stripped of most of their defining characteristics and remodeled, so to speak, or it'd be at or just below the 90s iron man toon...season 1. *nods wisely*
Ew ew ew ew...

I caught an episode or two when ToonDisney started reairing the Iron Man episodes.  The first one I caught was from season 2, and it was okay, but I couldn't remember why I thought it was so much better at the time. 

Then I saw a season 1 episode and remembered how BAD a superhero cartoon could be. (shudder)

PLEASE let it be a few notches above that at the very least.

JeyNyce

It looks like a wanna be Spidey cartoon, they didn't get the rights so they put Iron Man in instead.  The kid even sounds like Peter Parker.

Alaric

Quote from: Previsionary on July 16, 2008, 04:39:03 AM
I don't have an opinion on this because A) I've yet to watch the trailer in full and B) The teen thing has been pulled off successfully before with the X-men though...a good deal of them started off as teens. :P

But, in the comics, the X-Men actually started out as a teen team, which means, despite the changing membership, the idea is still buried somewhere in the team's underlying concept.

(Note- I haven't seen this trailer yet, just wanted to explain why, in my opinion, a teen Iron Man show is less likely to work than a teen X-Men show.)

Previsionary

you'll note that I pointed that out in the same sentence you quoted..........

And Ironman/boy/lad....and Tony has teen implanted in his history as well, iirc, during the 90s. Yes, I know...everyone wants to ignore it.

Podmark

Well that was....wholly underwhelming. But I'll give it a chance, there's always a chance it'll surprise.

Viking

Help, help!  I'm being forced to watch a badly re-imagined animated superhero that's trying to relate to me!

BWPS

The animation reminds me of the graphics in Pendulo's Runaway adventure games for PC... in that it's awful and makes me hate it.

As far as him being a kid... WHY? I can't ever remember watching a hero cartoon as a child and thinking "I'd relate better to this if the character was closer to my age, but still a good deal older." Because I know this isn't geared toward the high school aged... I didn't see one mention of "texting" OR "dude" in the trailers.

It's all about making a good show. When I was 8, I liked watching Peter Parker in college, and now that I'm 20, I like watching him in high school.

Glitch Girl

Quote from: Viking on July 16, 2008, 05:37:56 PM
Help, help!  I'm being forced to watch a badly re-imagined animated superhero that's trying to relate to me!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well put.

Frodo58

What happened to the awesome animated movies like, Ultimate Avengers 1 & 2, Dr. Strange, and the other Iron man? We seem to be stuck with lame ones like, Hulk vs Wolverine, Next avengers - Heroes of tomorrow, and this.... thing?
:thumbdown::thumbdown:

Talavar

Quote from: Frodo58 on July 20, 2008, 07:11:47 PM
What happened to the awesome animated movies like, Ultimate Avengers 1 & 2, Dr. Strange, and the other Iron man? We seem to be stuck with lame ones like, Hulk vs Wolverine, Next avengers - Heroes of tomorrow, and this.... thing?
:thumbdown::thumbdown:

Those were awesome?  I would have said mediocre at best.

crimsonquill

And things on the animated Iron Man front get alot stranger.... because while they showed the new trailer at SDCC they also had a slide show revealing some of the newer takes on Stark's villian roster. Take a look...

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0807/27/mandarin.jpg

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0807/27/whiplash.jpg

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0807/27/blizzard.jpg

Something tells me the designers/animators on this show are a tad too much manga obsessed?  :blink:

- CrimsonQuill

Renegade

Yuck. That's boring to watch.

And what's this now, the third variation of Iron Man's origin we've gotten in a two year span in "media other than comics"? Fourth if you count Ultimate Avengers?

Who needs it?

Failed_Hero

When will marvel learn that making movies based on horribly unpopular era's of comic book history does not sell. Teen stark among other horrid choices is part of the reason Marvel is in the mess it is in now.