• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

story teaser and a request

Started by Lord Elcorion, July 10, 2008, 08:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Elcorion

okies.. i've been working on a bit of a story for the last year or so, with a vaugh intention to hopefully see it become a novel some day. it's not exactlly superhero related, instead it's based on D&D style fantasy gaming, but then again, aren't Adventurers in those games just superheros who don't wear spandex underwear outside their pants? in any case, here's the story teaser, and my request will follow at the end.

Lynnaria's Tale
Or
The Legend of the Silverheart Sorceress

Prologue

The grizzled veteran pulled his cloak tighter against the chill wind of the upper mountain passes, cursing the stiffening joints that marked his rapidly approaching retirement. Artrus was a skilled scout, and well honored for his experience. He was also one of the only members of the Watch who knew the tongue of Dragons, which was why he had been chosen for this mission. His lord, The High Archmage Elcorion, wished to consult with the dragons to see what they knew of the movements of the olgresh raiders through the mountains.

The Olgresh were a vicious but cowardly race, and the number of raids recently suggested that a strong force was motivating them to greater activity. Such a force could only mean ill omens, and Elcorion feared that it was a foreshadowing of another assault from his old foes in the Blackened Lands, the Dread Lord En'Drakus, called The Knightmare, and his dark lady known only as The Mistress of the Dead.

Such thoughts were far from the mind of Artrus, however, as he climbed the passes of the Cragspire, seeking the lair of a dragon he knew was in the area. As he approached the cave however, Artrus paused, his scout's instincts warning him of trouble. It was to quiet.

There, a flash of movement, a crow taking wing, cawing loudly, breaking the silence. As Artrus neared the cave, his caught the foul stench of burnt olgresh flesh. He hurried forward, and when he reached the cave entrance, he stopped short, almost retching. There before him was a terrible scene, like a charnel house after an inferno. Dead olgresh were strewn about, torn and scorched, in numbers greater than any mere raiding party.

Artrus moved further into the cave, and the trail of death grew thicker, blood coating the floor. The bodies had been dead for some time, the foul black blood of the olgresh soaked into the dirt and dried. Fearing the worst, Artrus moved into the central cavern, and was confronted by the sight he was dreading. There, in the middle of the cavern, was the torn and bloodied remains of the dragon he had come to see.

The Dragon's horde was gone, taken no doubt by the surviving olgresh, and her body had be thoroughly desecrated, her argent scales, horns and claws crudely hewn from her body, taken no doubt as grisly trophies by the leader of this group. As Artrus moved through the cavern, he heard a scratching noise nearby, and overturning a few rocks, discovered a silver dragon egg.

"So, she was trying to protect her clutch. She must have only had time to hide the one. Poor girl."

As Artrus moved to pick up the egg, he saw it rock, and the scratching noise became louder. He quickly took it up and bundled it in his cloak, hurrying out of the cave.

"Not yet little one, no youngling should be born in a death pit."

Once he was well away from the cave, he stopped, setting the egg down. The shell had already started to crack, and as Artrus watched, it broke full open. What he saw inside surprised him greatly.

"By the gods. I had heard stories, but never thought to see them first hand. So she had a human lover, eh?"

As he thought on this, Artrus bundled the newborn hatchling in his cloak. It resembled a human infant girl, but her skin had an argent sheen, and she struggled to stretch tiny, wet wings on her back, while a slender tail curled around taloned feet that were more reptilian than human.

"You'll need a name, little one. I'll call you... Lynnaria."

On hearing her new name, the half dragon girl cooed happily, curling into Artrus's arms as he fed her some milk he had brought for making stew.

"Best get you back to the city. It's not safe here, and Elcorion will want to know what happened. He'll be very interested in you. I think you've got a big destiny ahead, little one. A legend fit for the bards to sing for ages."

end prolouge

ok, there's the teaser, now for the request. i happen to have a terrible time building and plotting out conversations when i'm writeing, and i find that it's easier if i have someone else to bounce ideas off of, basiclly taking the role of one of the charecters while i work the other, much like a regular roleplaying game. so, basiclly, i'm wondering if anyone here is interested enough and would be willing to help me out with this?

thanks in advance,
Lord E.