• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Get Smart: Would you believe ...

Started by AncientSpirit, June 22, 2008, 08:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AncientSpirit

... it was so humorous that our jam-packed audience gave it a standing ovation? 

Would you believe belly laughs?

Would you believe a snicker from an old lady in a wheelchair?

Well, no matter what you believe this was one funny movie.  I must admit that I didn't have high hopes.  I loved the original Get Smart with Don Adams and Barbara Feldon and figured that this would be a pale imitation.

Instead what I got was 3 dimensional characters that stood on the shoulders of the 2 dimensional giants that came before them, adding more humanity and credibility to two great characters, 86 and 99.

No spoilers here.  Just to expect plenty of nods to the original and to laugh out loud.

Great, great comedy ... even for those, like my daughter and her husband , who had no idea who the original 86 and 99 were.

:thumbup:    :thumbup:    :thumbup:   :thumbup:

Protomorph

Just got back from seeing it. I liked it. Stellar cast, and action all around. I was a fan of the original, and I must say, this was a worthy revamp.

BlueBard

Really?  I got the impression it was going to be a turkey.  I may need to re-evaluate.

AncientSpirit

Quote from: BlueBard on June 23, 2008, 01:48:21 PM
Really?  I got the impression it was going to be a turkey.  I may need to re-evaluate.

I found it interesting that on Yahoo, they had 14 critics who gave it an average of c+  (the only one I every really follow is Roger Egbert who gave it an A-)

On the other hand, 1500 people who went to see it gave it an average rating of B+.

The critics, I think, expected Steve and Ann to do Don and Barbara imitations.   They didn't.   They kept all the fun (and I loved the series) but gave it real humanity and, would you believe, CREDIBILITY. 

I kid you not.