• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Tablet advice

Started by zuludelta, June 03, 2008, 06:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zuludelta

Hey guys... I've been looking to get a new tablet. I've used a tablet before (an early low-end WACOM model... I think it was a Graphire or something like that) but I could never get used to it (I kept looking at the tablet's "writing" surface instead of the screen), and the lack of sensitivity (256 levels of pressure sensitivity!) was a real problem when it came to doing any actual graphics work that involved more than just simple linework and colour and texture fills, so I ended up just reverting to drawing with a mouse or alternatively, drawing on paper and then scanning it in.

The whole draw-then-scan process just isn't very time-efficient though, and drawing with a mouse doesn't provide me with the same tactile feedback I derive from drawing/painting with "analog" tools like pencils, pens, and brushes. I've looked at reviews and such and it seems like the best fit for me would be Wacom's Intuos line of tablets (1024 levels of sensitivity and writing angle detection) but I was wondering if anybody out there has real-world working experience with other, possibly cheaper, brands that offer similar features (rough year for me on the job front, so I don't exactly have a lot of money laying around to spend on stuff).

captainspud

I've been using a Graphire (512 levels), and I have no complaints about the pressure sensitivity; it's plenty enough to let me paint in Photoshop. It's also just a much sturdier tablet than most of the others I've used, and the proprietary Wacom thing that lets the pen recharge through induction from the tablet itself (which means no replacing batteries) is a HUGE help, because you never get in that trap where you're not sure if your tablet's dying, or you're just low on batteries. The pen always stays charged. The one I'm using is pretty small (4x5), but I've always used tiny tablets, so I don't find it cramped like some people do if they're used to the massive foot-wide tablets.

I'm actually looking to upgrade to the low-end Cintiq (the 12", which is about $1000), though I've been a bit delayed in executing that plan because my clutch died last month and needed to be replaced. At this rate, I'll probably snag one at the end of the summer.

zuludelta

Thanks for the response spud.

The thing that has me leaning towards the Intuos is the tilt detection, not so much the levels of sensitivity, since I do more line work and vector graphics than digital painting or advanced photo manipulation (where I can see pressure nuance being more important).

I keep hearing good things about the Aiptek brand of mid-range tablets which have a similar feature set to the Intuos at a significantly lower price, but I don't know anybody who uses them and I'm wary about the reliability/support.

captainspud

What exactly does tilt detection do? Line width, calligraphy-style?

daglob

I have both and old Artpad and an old Graphire, and have no complaints with either. Most new versions of Photoshop have adjustment where you can alter the way the pen pressure is percieved. I believe that there is something in there about the tilt, also, and, as always, you can change the shape of your "brush" to be like a calligraphic pen point.

Now what I drool over is that new tablet Wacom has with the LCD screen...

UnfluffyBunny

personally I use a Trust TB-4200, it's 9"x12" (a4) and 512 levels, I find it very smooth, it's great to have all the space so I dont have to zoom in to stupid levels to work on tiny detail and it works as well if not better than a wacom I used to own which cost nearly twice as much.
it also has 24 programable touch buttons which save a crapload of time, I mean I know it's not alot of effort to hit for example, ctrl+j, but tapping a box on your tablet is even faster.

(oh and a 3 buttoned stylus is strangely more usefull than you'd think :P)

zuludelta

Quote from: captainspud on June 03, 2008, 08:29:38 PM
What exactly does tilt detection do? Line width, calligraphy-style?

That's what I assume it does, in combination with the different shaped nibs that come with the pen, at least that's what I'm getting from the various forums and reviews I've been reading.

Quote from: daglob on June 03, 2008, 10:50:06 PM
I have both and old Artpad and an old Graphire, and have no complaints with either. Most new versions of Photoshop have adjustment where you can alter the way the pen pressure is percieved. I believe that there is something in there about the tilt, also, and, as always, you can change the shape of your "brush" to be like a calligraphic pen point.

Yeah, but going into the "Brushes" submenu just to change the angle and shape setting (which is what I used to do when drawing with a mouse) seems too disruptive of the stroke-making process (for me, at least... it seems you've adapted well enough to it), and sort of takes away from why I would go with a tablet in the first place, as opposed to just drawing/painting everything on paper and scanning it in.

Quote from: UnfluffyBunny on June 04, 2008, 12:21:21 AM
personally I use a Trust TB-4200, it's 9"x12" (a4) and 512 levels, I find it very smooth, it's great to have all the space so I dont have to zoom in to stupid levels to work on tiny detail and it works as well if not better than a wacom I used to own which cost nearly twice as much.

I'll have to look that model up. I haven't come across it in the digital art forums and PC hardware review sites I've been browsing through.

Quote from: UnfluffyBunny on June 04, 2008, 12:21:21 AM
(oh and a 3 buttoned stylus is strangely more usefull than you'd think :P)

I'm almost afraid to ask what extra functionality one can get from the 3 buttons  :lol:

Gymdawg

I'm too cheap to go buy a tablet, but I've been dying to test out Johnny Lee's tutorial for using a Wiimote to create a psuedo-tablet.
Unfortunately, the last two Bluetooth readers I've bought haven't worked with the Wiimotes.

zuludelta

Finally bought one. An Intuos3 with a 4 x 6 writing surface (C$ 229). I'm pleased so far, although it does take some getting used to. I'll probably spend the rest of the evening adjusting the sensitivities so that it feels more like how I work on paper. A quick self-sketch: