• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Heroes Season 3

Started by Glitch Girl, May 09, 2008, 06:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

bredon7777

cat-

[spoiler]
No. They never could've sold it, because they could never sell Sylar as a good guy.  Even Zachary Quinto's talent never made it belivable, especially since they never addressed him killing a bunch of people while he was powerless in Season 2.

I'm glad that particular storyline is over, so I can stop throwing things at the tv, but I'm ticked it came at the expense of Kristen Bell.  Especially since Sylar shouldve died, or gone into hiding at the end of season one.

[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

bredon:

[spoiler]
There's a huge difference between selling him becoming a good guy, which I agree with you is full of holes to begin with, and selling him becoming a bad guy again.  The latter they could have done a very solid job with.
[/spoiler]

Ajax

Saw this in the Diamondback today, which is University of Marylands student paper. Heroes needs a savior.
Villains," the third volume of the NBC sci-fi drama, Heroes, is hurtling toward a stunning conclusion. In just five days, we will finally learn whether anyone can thwart the evil Arthur Petrelli (Robert Forster) and save the world from his grasp.

It's all very exciting - or it would be, if the show was still worth watching.

For the rest of the article click on the link. Agree? Disagree?

Podmark

An EW article has confirmed:
[spoiler]Elle is dead, and not coming back. Kristen Bell was never going to be on long term.

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2008/12/ask-ausiello-sp.html?iid=top25[/spoiler]

Gave the article a quick read. I agree with all but one thing:
"Nowadays, only three things have made it worth flipping to NBC on Monday nights at 9 p.m.: Hayden Panettierre, Brea Grant and Bell."
It's missing Masi Oka and James Kyson Lee. If Hiro was killed off I'd be gone probably. Also I don't really like Claire that much.

Now while I agree the series has serious problems, that doesn't mean I don't like it. Smallville has historically been a terribly plotted show, but I've always enjoyed it.

thalaw2

[spoiler]Am I the only one who is happy Elle is out?  I never liked her.  I don't like Daphne either.  Something about the acting of the actresses just makes them tedious for me.  I was happy when their scenes were over.  However, I like Claire and Mrs. Bennett.  I wish Ma Bennett had a larger role.[/spoiler]

stumpy

[spoiler]I liked Elle enough as a pseudo-villain trying to please her father and then trying to go straight. And, I respect Kristen Bell enough to think that the shortcomings in the character on screen are the fault of the writers, which is in line with how I look at most of the parts of the show that aren't up to snuff.

Daphne I generally like as well, but I was disappointed in the last episode's depiction of her as someone who apparently grew up with a disability but just fell apart when it came back. "I didn't want you to see me like this." What the heck? I've known some people with physical disabilities and I don't think any of them are ashamed of who they are. It might be more believable if she had never been that way before, but she clearly had. It just seemed like it was written from the perspective of a kid who didn't know anything about people with disabilities.

I also kind of wonder if that's supposed to be the whole hold that Poptrelli has on her; that he can take away her power and she'll need braces again. Is that it? If so, I am not really buying that. Before he got Peter's powers, she probably could have pretty easily escaped from him. Probably still could, if she were willing to go underground. And, before he got the healing ability, she could have killed him before anyone knew it.

BTW, wasn't it shown earlier that she had won track trophies (the one Hiro threatened to take)? I am not sure if her timeline is supposed to be that she was a track star, then she was crippled, then she got her powers; or if she was crippled, then she got her powers, then she became a track star.

Also, in an unrelated note, I really wish the show hadn't gone there with the "eclipse temporarily removes the special's powers" gimmick. We try to ignore common sense science as much as possible in the show, but making such a big deal out of the eclipse is just begging those questions. There really isn't anything special about an eclipse except that it's dark in some parts of the Earth and we see the characters using their powers at night all the time. Would Daphne have lost her powers if she had run to Alaska (where the eclipse would have been far less than total) instead of Kansas? Hiro can teleport anywhere on Earth (and presumably that includes off planet), so would he have been affected if he were elsewhere?

At least they were sort of careful in showing the power loss in people who were in the continental US and Haiti, who might (stretching things) all experience a mostly-total eclipse within the same several hour period. But, the idea that lack of sunlight has that effect on the specials is really weak. And, I know there are ways to claim silliness like gravitational alignment (which is similarly weak) or that the moon blocks certain non-visible light not blocked at night (which is nonsense). Whatever. As I've said before, I never expect the science to be rock solid; it's not going to be. But the pseudo-science ought be consistent and withstand common sense. Oh well. I just wish they had come up with a better gimmick if they needed to turn everyone's powers off for a while.[/spoiler]

thalaw2

I really want to like Heroes and that's what keeps me watching.  It's just that all the inconsistencies make it hard to like it as much as I would like to. 

When there was a Paradox in Star Trek it was cool and interesting, but the ones in Heroes are...not so much so.

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: stumpy on December 04, 2008, 02:49:38 PM
[spoiler]
Daphne I generally like as well, but I was disappointed in the last episode's depiction of her as someone who apparently grew up with a disability but just fell apart when it came back. "I didn't want you to see me like this." What the heck? I've known some people with physical disabilities and I don't think any of them are ashamed of who they are. It might be more believable if she had never been that way before, but she clearly had. It just seemed like it was written from the perspective of a kid who didn't know anything about people with disabilities.

I also kind of wonder if that's supposed to be the whole hold that Poptrelli has on her; that he can take away her power and she'll need braces again. Is that it? If so, I am not really buying that. Before he got Peter's powers, she probably could have pretty easily escaped from him. Probably still could, if she were willing to go underground. And, before he got the healing ability, she could have killed him before anyone knew it.

BTW, wasn't it shown earlier that she had won track trophies (the one Hiro threatened to take)? I am not sure if her timeline is supposed to be that she was a track star, then she was crippled, then she got her powers; or if she was crippled, then she got her powers, then she became a track star.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The Daphne thing was briefly explained in the episode (like mentioned in one line) and further mentioned in the online comic.  It doesn't make a lot of sense, though.  When her powers first manifested, she could walk then she could run.  This doesn't make a lot of sense given the amount that all of this was suppose to have occurred in but that's the going story for now.

As for Daphne's reaction, its not common but its something that does occur in rare circumstances.  Especially if the person is able to hide their disability under most circumstances.  A very famous case of this was President Franklin D. Roosevelt.  There were great lengths taken at times to downplay and even cover up the extent to which he had polio when he first took office. 
[/spoiler]

Kholdstare89

[spoiler]Now that's my Sylar!  I'm in love with him all over again![/spoiler]

MJB

:angry:[spoiler]I've tried to be the objective viewer. I've attempted to defend this show. When my comic book impaired Girlfriend and I watched the latest episode we both threw our hands up and cursed about 1 thing...

How in the world did Arthur Petrelli know where in time Hiro & Claire was? Out of the XXX million years of history and the XXX millions of days how did he predict what one Hiro & Claire would be at? To top it all off how did Arthur know what country/state/town/building he was in/on? HUGE plot hole or "dues ex machina". You decide.  :thumbdown:
[/spoiler]

-MJB

catwhowalksbyhimself

Don't forget:

[spoiler]
Poptrelli's been using Isaac's powers extensively.  In addition, Hiro's already demonstrated that seeing the place and time, even in an illusration, is enough to pinpoint the time and place.  Even if poptrelli just had the same comic pic Hiro say, he'd be able to track them easily enough.
[/spoiler]

House Quake

Quote from: MJB on December 08, 2008, 11:52:57 PM
:angry:[spoiler]I've tried to be the objective viewer. I've attempted to defend this show. When my comic book impaired Girlfriend and I watched the latest episode we both threw our hands up and cursed about 1 thing...

How in the world did Arthur Petrelli know where in time Hiro & Claire was? Out of the XXX million years of history and the XXX millions of days how did he predict what one Hiro & Claire would be at? To top it all off how did Arthur know what country/state/town/building he was in/on? HUGE plot hole or "dues ex machina". You decide.  :thumbdown:
[/spoiler]

-MJB

[spoiler]Remember Pop-trelli 'had' the precog powers of Isaac and/or the African.  Just as Matt, Daphne and Ando was able to see Hiro trapped in the past based on old drawings from Isaac... Pop very likely used the power to try and figure out where Claire had gone.  And thus new exactly where and when to find Hiro and Claire.  And he probably saw Hiro receive the catalyst.

But eve though I am over all enjoying the show still... there has been some bad writing.  I'm not surprised that a couple of the writers are gone.  They have built up to man situations this season which basically ended in.. 'what was the point'

What was the point of making Claire the catalyst or giving it to Hiro...?  If all Arthur would do is pop in and take it from whom ever? 

There have been a few to many 'pointless' sub plots going on.  i hope when the show comes back ain February after the next episode, the writing improves and all of the plots with out purpose cease. [/spoiler]

MJB

According to the rumors I've heard, firing the executive producers will not yield any changes until the late 2009 (volume 5) season of Heroes.

-MJB

thalaw2

[spoiler]So...why doesn't Poptrelli heal and get up off the floor?  It doesn't make sense that being shot in the brain killed him since Clair had a branch stuck in her brain and didn't die...maybe Sylar got his "Wanted" on and bent the bullet to hit a crucial part of the brain? 

Why didn't Sylar want the Haitian's powers?  Perhaps, deep down he knows there needs to be a way to stop him.
[/spoiler]

bredon7777

[spoiler]

Claire didn't come alive again until the branch was removed, remember?  As long as the bullet is lodged in that "special place", Poptrelli is SOL.
[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Heroes is also regaining the writers it lost to Pushing Daisies, which should hopefully make a big difference.

House Quake

Quote from: MJB on December 09, 2008, 03:10:17 AM
According to the rumors I've heard, firing the executive producers will not yield any changes until the late 2009 (volume 5) season of Heroes.

-MJB

They are getting new (or old.. depending on how you look at it) writers for the upcoming sequence in Feb.

House Quake

Quote from: thalaw2 on December 09, 2008, 03:45:40 AM
[spoiler]So...why doesn't Poptrelli heal and get up off the floor?  It doesn't make sense that being shot in the brain killed him since Clair had a branch stuck in her brain and didn't die...maybe Sylar got his "Wanted" on and bent the bullet to hit a crucial part of the brain? 

Why didn't Sylar want the Haitian's powers?  Perhaps, deep down he knows there needs to be a way to stop him.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Both Claire( tree branch) and Peter (shard of glass)... have demonstrated that they will not heal if the obstruction to the brain is not removed.   They didn't heal until after some one removed the object from their heads.  As long as no one removes the bullet from Arthur's head.. he should stay dead.  How long they can remain like that...???

As far as Sylar and the Haitian... how could he get them?  The Haitian was using all of his power to control Arthur.  Sylar knew there was no way to kill Arthur if the Haitian released control.  And he wasn't going to risk the Haitian blocking his own powers by making any move against him.  The risk of Arthur being released was too great to try any funny biz.   And as soon as Arthur was down... Sylar got out of there rather than wait for the Haitian to block his powers and blow his head off with a gun.[/spoiler]

Podmark

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm liking what Fuller has to say.  Here's hoping the show can revive for season 4.  It seems likely that they show will get a season 4, at any rate.

Jakew

I thought Season 4 was already being filmed???  :huh:

Podmark

Quote from: Jakew on December 10, 2008, 11:03:15 PM
I thought Season 4 was already being filmed???  :huh:

No the second half of season 3 is being filmed right now. Each volume doesn't correspond to a new season, they just break up storylines.

House Quake

Sounds like he has a good grasp of what has been going wrong with the writing.

[spoiler]In the episode where Hiro and Ando were in Africa and they were shown the 'faces' of the Villians painting... I had identified Arthur, fear boy and fire guy... but never could make a connection to who the fourth was.

If it turns out to be Sylar's father... that would fit.[/spoiler]

BWPS

I love Sylar. He was all like, "Cake?". Hilarious!

bredon7777

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on December 10, 2008, 08:59:14 PM
I'm liking what Fuller has to say.  Here's hoping the show can revive for season 4.  It seems likely that they show will get a season 4, at any rate.

Still not worth losing Pushing Daises for, IMO

catwhowalksbyhimself

Nobody said it was.  Apparently you're the only one thinking that way.

Pushing Daisies or no Pushing Daisies, him returning to the show is a good thing.  Whatever happened to the other show has nothing to do with Heroes, other than the fact the Fuller needed something else to do.

MJB

Spoilers!

Here are some minor spoilers about Monday's Volume 3 finale. Courtesy of Comic Book Resources.

Click here for the article with short video snippet links.

[EDIT]
Removed 2 links due to double posting.
[/EDIT]

-MJB

Podmark

lol MJB I posted those first two links above.

MJB

Well the last one was new. :P

-MJB

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, it was a decent ending after all.

Also, Star Trek actor #3!
[spoiler]
It does look like Claire has become similar to her future self, if still a good guy so far.

I figured Peter would be re-powered sooner or later, and it does look like he has his original ability, although whether he regained all the abilities has had before is up in the air.  He has two abilities at least, and should have no trouble picking up Claire's again.

The ending surprised me.  Nathan does seem to have made an about face far more than I think quite believable at this point.
[/spoiler]

|