• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Heroes Season 3

Started by Glitch Girl, May 09, 2008, 06:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteAnd do you know what I'd like to see? A flashback to when the "original" team was together.

If you mean the Company founders, that was part of the canceled Volume, and the writers pretty much said it is never going to happen now.

The Hitman

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 18, 2008, 09:13:28 PM
QuoteAnd do you know what I'd like to see? A flashback to when the "original" team was together.

If you mean the Company founders, that was part of the canceled Volume, and the writers pretty much said it is never going to happen now.

Well, that's a bummer.

bredon7777

Someone want to have a go at fanwaking Poptrellis motivations in the last episode?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Nothing shocking this episode, but interesting.

[spoiler]
Somebody wondered about invulnerability as a power, now we find out about The Hatian's brother, who has that exact power.  Well, invulnerable skin, anyways.

HRG teaching Claire was good.  10-year-old Hiro is still a hoot.  I also really loved that scene in the comic book store.  I have to wonder where all these new issues are coming from, though.  We know Isaac had some done before his death, but they would have likely all been out by now, at least, I would think they would.

Anyway, my bit of speculation: when the eclipse effect is over, Peter's powers will reset, allowing him to absorb abilities over again.
[/spoiler]

MJB

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 18, 2008, 09:13:28 PM

From this week's 'Behind the Eclipse'...

Quote"Will we ever get to actually see the stories you guys had intended for Season 2, like the '1977' episode you guys keep mentioning?"

Not this season. But, there is a chance that we will see it after the "Fugitives" arc. In the Meantime, please direct all letters to Michael Green, c/o "Kings."

For those who are confused, the proposed "1977" would have been about the Company founders.

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 25, 2008, 07:31:31 AM
[spoiler]Anyway, my bit of speculation: when the eclipse effect is over, Peter's powers will reset, allowing him to absorb abilities over again.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The only problem I have with that is that Peter showed some powers in the future that he had absorbed from currently dead characters. If they hit the 'reset' button he won't have those powers any longer. Aside from re-introducing all new characters with the exact same powers I don't know how they'll fill that gap. That being said this wouldn't be the first time the Heroes writers left a loop hole.[/spoiler]

-MJB

Mr. Hamrick

Actually, it would not be a loophole.

[spoiler]It's been said that "everything has changed" since Peter came back and altered things.  Angela has mentioned this, Arthur has and Peter has.  My guess is that Peter will get his base power back but not until "The Fugitives" storyarc and not simply as a result of the Eclipse having passed. [/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

I agree with Hamrick

[spoiler]Any inconsistencies between the future timeline and the current one can simply be assumed to be the Butterfly Effect in action.  I. E.  You change one thing, you change everything.  So just assume in the original future timeline, Peter did not have all his abilities stolen by Pop.

Also, consider that if Peter does regain his original abilities, he may be able to re-absorb all the powers he once had from Pop.[/spoiler]

Dr.Volt

[spoiler]I rather hope that after the eclipse clear that there are some significant differences that occur.  For example, it would be nice to see Sylar's powers, for example altered significantly and not be so uber powerful.  He served the role of the arch baddy...but now that they are changing his role in the story it seems fitting to alter his powers as well.  And it would be nice if Saresh would just disappear all together!  Ha!

Oh, btw, the best line from the week before last's episode was:

Hiro: Captain America died! Spider-Man revealed his secret identity! And the Hulk is red!?[/spoiler]

Btw, do we know what happened to the girl with muscle memory powers from New Orleans???  Last I remember she was in a scrape with some gang toughs...and then....I just don't remember.  I liked the concept for her character.  Just seemed like she had potential.

Oh...has anyone watched the Santiago storyline (y'know the hero created with audience input) on the Heroes web page?  Is it any good?  Yay or nay?

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteBtw, do we know what happened to the girl with muscle memory powers from New Orleans???  Last I remember she was in a scrape with some gang toughs...and then....I just don't remember.  I liked the concept for her character.  Just seemed like she had potential.

After spending an entire season doing absolutely nothing useful, Niki pulls her out of a fire, and she presumably is taking care of Micah.  Her powers have potential, but the character just did not.  Maybe she'll come back at a later time.

Quotey'know the hero created with audience input

You mean a couple of really vague options to choose from that are so vague that the writers can still make the character whatever they want no matter what choices were made?  Yeah, some input.

Dr.Volt

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 25, 2008, 02:45:15 PM
QuoteBtw, do we know what happened to the girl with muscle memory powers from New Orleans???  Last I remember she was in a scrape with some gang toughs...and then....I just don't remember.  I liked the concept for her character.  Just seemed like she had potential.

After spending an entire season doing absolutely nothing useful, Niki pulls her out of a fire, and she presumably is taking care of Micah.  Her powers have potential, but the character just did not.  Maybe she'll come back at a later time.

Quotey'know the hero created with audience input

You mean a couple of really vague options to choose from that are so vague that the writers can still make the character whatever they want no matter what choices were made?  Yeah, some input.

LOL!  That's kind of what I thought!  Thanks for reply Cat!

House Quake

I am still very much liking this show.  But from the interviews in 'Behind the Eclipse' am I the only one here who noticed...
[spoiler]
When someone asked them about what Arthur brain wiping Hiro...
"It was not Arthur's intent to turn Hiro into a 10-year-old. Arthur was in the process of using the Haitian's ability to mind-wipe all the things Hiro learned from his spirit walk in the "Villains" episode."

Ummm... if Arthur was using the Haitian's ability... and we know for the most part... the Haitian still has his abilities... wouldn't that indicate that Arthur's absorption power isn't permanent?  The powers can be returned somehow?

Or that he maybe using another power to suppress the abilities which can be undone?  Maybe a power similar to the Haitians which requires touch?

Arthur is certainly worried about the Haitian and has shown no signs of having the Haitian's 'null power' field.  i know for certain the Haitian's original power was the memory manipulation... he had that as a kid.  This is probably when Arthur absorbed his powers... ie before he developed the power null thing.[/spoiler]

The_Baroness

or got it from peter.... like isaac's painting....

thalaw2

Quote from: House Quake on November 26, 2008, 02:10:04 AM
I am still very much liking this show.  But from the interviews in 'Behind the Eclipse' am I the only one here who noticed...
[spoiler]
When someone asked them about what Arthur brain wiping Hiro...
"It was not Arthur's intent to turn Hiro into a 10-year-old. Arthur was in the process of using the Haitian's ability to mind-wipe all the things Hiro learned from his spirit walk in the "Villains" episode."

Ummm... if Arthur was using the Haitian's ability... and we know for the most part... the Haitian still has his abilities... wouldn't that indicate that Arthur's absorption power isn't permanent?  The powers can be returned somehow?

Or that he maybe using another power to suppress the abilities which can be undone?  Maybe a power similar to the Haitians which requires touch?

Arthur is certainly worried about the Haitian and has shown no signs of having the Haitian's 'null power' field.  i know for certain the Haitian's original power was the memory manipulation... he had that as a kid.  This is probably when Arthur absorbed his powers... ie before he developed the power null thing.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]There are many ways for this to happen.... Arthur could have traveled back in time to a point when the Haitian wasn't using his abilities, then used Peter's ability to get the power just be being around the guy....then travel back to the present to mind wipe Hiro.   Likewise he could have traveled to the future to do the same thing.

Let's see what the writers go with.  I hope it's not too lame.
[/spoiler]

This last episode is saving the season for me.

House Quake

Quote from: thalaw2 on November 26, 2008, 05:33:20 AM
[spoiler]There are many ways for this to happen.... Arthur could have traveled back in time to a point when the Haitian wasn't using his abilities, then used Peter's ability to get the power just be being around the guy....then travel back to the present to mind wipe Hiro.   Likewise he could have traveled to the future to do the same thing.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
As far as how he got the Haitians power to mind wipe... I'm just going to assume the easiest route that we know of which was that the Haitian had been with the company since he was a boy and the mind wiping was his original ability which Arthur somehow got then.

Baroness... i'm pretty positive that Arhtur isn't using Isaac's power but rather the African's.

Also... as far as Arthur, Gabriel and Peter goes... I appears that when they absorb/mimic another person abilities... they only gain the ability at its base level.  ie they don;t automatically gain control of the ability to the level that some of the people have developed thiers.

ex
Peter reads minds like matt... but that's it.  Peter practiced how to use Hiro's powers of time travel after doing it initially on accident.  Arthur may have Hiro's power via Peter... but apparently he can't time travel else it would have made more sense for him to go to the future and see what would happen first hand rather than draw it out with premonition.  And I say may have.. because we know he teleported.. but its not a certainty where the teleportation came from.[/spoiler]

thalaw2

Quote from: House Quake on November 27, 2008, 12:19:00 AM
Quote from: thalaw2 on November 26, 2008, 05:33:20 AM

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

As far as how he got the Haitians power to mind wipe... I'm just going to assume the easiest route that we know of which was that the Haitian had been with the company since he was a boy and the mind wiping was his original ability which Arthur somehow got then.

Baroness... i'm pretty positive that Arhtur isn't using Isaac's power but rather the African's.

Also... as far as Arthur, Gabriel and Peter goes... I appears that when they absorb/mimic another person abilities... they only gain the ability at its base level.  ie they don;t automatically gain control of the ability to the level that some of the people have developed thiers.

ex
Peter reads minds like matt... but that's it.  Peter practiced how to use Hiro's powers of time travel after doing it initially on accident.  Arthur may have Hiro's power via Peter... but apparently he can't time travel else it would have made more sense for him to go to the future and see what would happen first hand rather than draw it out with premonition.  And I say may have.. because we know he teleported.. but its not a certainty where the teleportation came from.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Which then begs the question, why didn't he just absorb Hiro's powers?  Why leave a guy who can time travel and teleport intact and behead a precog.?[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

[spoiler]
We know that the ten year old thing was apparently an accident.  Also, Poptrelli may not have been aware of Hiro's intention to act as a mole.  He may have  been intending to still use Hiro as one of his agents, after removing the information he didn't want Hiro to know.  The precog, on the other hand, was acting as a mastermind against him and was clearly influencing Hiro, giving other characters knowledge he didn't want them to have.  He was entirely unusable.
[/spoiler]

stumpy

[spoiler]I tend to agree that Poptrelli wasn't trying to drain Hiro, since he already had Hiro's power through Peter. (In addition, Poptrelli should now have Peter's primary ability to absorb powers at a distance, though presumably not to drain them.)

If, as noted, Poptrelli was using the Haitian's ability to erase Hiro's memories, then we know that the Haitian's ability can be absorbed, by some means. Of course, there is the question of where Poptrelli got it. If it can be copied, I don't think we knew that before, since Peter never used it. Kind of too bad, really. I would prefer that some characters not be copyable and the Haitian's would be a good candidate for that.

Having seen the end of tonight's episode, Nathan is sort of a dope. There are a few powers that may be a straightforward boon to humanity if everyone had them, like healing or invulnerability. But it seems like people having basically random powers as they do in the show, and often offensive random powers like lightning bolts, flame projection, etc., would lead to lots of potential problems that someone with any brains would hesitate to want on the loose. And, any significant fraction of the population with Hiro's power and you'd have utter chaos.

HRG is sort of a voyeur. He ha a clear shot at Sylar and Elle when they first kissed and waited until they... umm... "finished kissing" before firing a shot...

If it turns out that Sylar isn't really part of the Petrelli clan, it's interesting that both Momtrelli and Poptrelli used the same psychological tack to manipulate him.

Assuming that Isaac is still dead, who is publishing 9th Wonders? There would have to be an awful lot of posthumous issues to get us this far along in the storyline. Not completely outside of possibility, but it had me groaning a little.

At least we can kind of infer that the comic is pretty popular, since it was on sale in both Japan and Nebraska and Oz and his buddy were following along. And, that's sort of the only way it would be published like that is if it had a pretty strong following.

It gets a little surreal with Hiro and Ando reading 9th Wonders to find out what to do next. I mean, at the very least, just finish reading up through the present issues. Isn't that pretty much the first thing anyone would do if they knew the comics were predictive?

Anyway, the whole eclipse device was sort of holding pattern material. I loved regressed Hiro. But, we are basically covering old ground with Sylar and Maya. We are getting yet another repeat of the Claire and HRG dynamic, though there is a possibility that she will actually learn something from her 16-years-ago trip. We'll have to see how that goes. And, we have kind of a repeat of Sylar deciding to be a villain again. If, as it seemed, Sylar was killing Elle at the end, then the Hunger can't really just be about gaining powers.

Also, I will be watching for what Hiro does with his father. It seems hard to believe that someone with an age-ten mind could know how and basically when his father was going to die and not try to go back in time to prevent it or warn him. Remember that Young Hiro doesn't have Hiro's experience with the dangers of trying to alter the past...[/spoiler]

Anyway, some ups and some downs, but I am still watching.

Dr.Volt

Ok small rant:

[spoiler]It does appear that Sylar killed Elle.  I liked her character and am pretty ticked.  Yeah silly...I know.  And I guess it's not much that she died or even was murdered...but it's the way in which she was murdered.  Not new for Sylar.  Not new the show.  It just offended me.  I'll probably keep watching though as I still really like the over all story and some of the other characters like Matt and Hiro and Peter.  Just some times honestly the violence get's a little too much for me.[/spoiler]

thanoson

[spoiler]Ok, but was that really violent? They really didn't show us the killing.[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Um, this show started off with a teenager purposely killing herself, then as the show went for the next couple of episodes, she was cut open at one point, while we kept seeing people lying bleeding with heads cut open.  How was this any more violent than any of that?  This show has ALWAYS been like that.  Sheesh.

[spoiler]
The parts with Hatian, Peter, and Nathan were all pretty good, I thought.  Nathan's reasons for switching sides weren't that unplausible.  Somewhat flawed, but still.

The scenes at the comic book shop were just pure awesomeness.  What comic book fan wouldn't like to have their favorite character walk right in on them?  Also, we now know what the deal with the posthumous issues is, and that this is the last one.  I also like how Isaac's handing off of his sketchbook in Season 1 is now a major plot point.

Hiro also proves just how powerful he is.  In my own mind, I group the more powerful characters in Giant and Titan status.  Titan is only reserved for power collectors like Sylar, Peter, and Poptrelli, but Hiro definitely is a Giant, as he proves in this episode.

The Gabriel suddenly snapping back into Sylar thing I don't find believable though.  The whole possibly being lied to by everone thing was a good reason for it to happen, but not so suddenly. Give him an episode to wonder and try to find out, then have him snap back into his Sylar persona when he discovers that Bennet is right.  Not just suddenly for such a stupid reason as I got my powers back and know who I really am.  Sheesh.
[/spoiler]

Mr. Hamrick

[spoiler]

I don't think Gabriel reverting to Sylar was too "quick" per se.  The previous episode set up the reversion with Elle's conversation to him about how they can be normal.  It continued it with both HRG's comment about "Gabriel isn't special anymore" and Elle's talk about how both of them have changed.  With the "revelation" that Sylar is not a Petrelli, one that I doubt HRG would know from the file (will explain why below) then the only thing holding Gabriel back is . . . nothing.   Gabriel's attempt to move away from being "Sylar" was prompted by the revelation that he was one of the Petrelli family to begin with. 

Now with regards to rather or not HRG was lying about Sylar not being a Petrelli.  I think HRG was blowing smoke out his tail.  The information would not have been in the file.  Why?  The file was compiled based on the knowledge readily available on "Gabriel Gray" aka "Sylar".  Any information about him being a part of the Petrelli family would not have been in there more than likely as it didn't seem to be "public knowledge".   HRG seemed to be trying to turn Sylar against Poptrelli or simply gain a measure of revenge on him.  I came away from this episode and last episode with a little less respect for HRG.  He has been becoming slightly more reckless this season and has managed to endanger Claire, nearly get Claire killed, endanger his wife, cost his side an ally in Sylar (arguably) and get Elle killed just in the past two episodes alone.

Regarding Daphne, I am really enjoying her character and how it has developed over the course of the season.  Has a few of the second season characters been developed that well then they would probably still be around. 

As for the 9th Wonders thing, it was very clearly stated in the issue that the present issue (the one Hiro and Ando got from Seth and Brecken) was the last issue.  They used it as the building point for the plot point about the sketchbook.

Hiro and Claire go back in time . . . this could be interesting.  Hiro and Claire have not been on screen much together nor have they interacted much during the course of the series. 

Of course Nathan's reasons for switching were flawed.  Most of Nathan's motivations have been flawed throughout the whole series.  His character and Peter's both have similar flaws.  They both have good intentions but the execution of their intentions don't always result in the best success. 

Remember Peter's good intentions created some of this whole mess.  His heart is in the right place but he doesn't realize the way other events might be affected by his actions.

Nathan's intentions are noble but he doesn't think about the ramifications of his actions.  Last season, he was out to reveal the existence of their powers and got shot.  Now, by supporting his father's goal of giving everyone powers, who knows what catastrophe he will cause.  He thinks about stuff more than Peter but his thinking is often short sighted.

Yep, plenty of flaws for both characters.

[/spoiler]

Podmark

[spoiler]Well I predicted it a while ago. Elle is dead. That leaves Maya of the remaining season 2 characters right? She'll be gone soon enough.
Disappointed they killed Elle, I liked her.

Otherwise a decent episode. Nathan is probably an idiot though.
[/spoiler]

Adamence

[spoiler]I really hope hope Elle isn't dead.  I mean, we didn't see her clearly die, and it looked to me as if Sylar stopped before he finished the job, so I'm definitely holding out hope.  She was without a doubt one of my favourite characters, and not just because she was being played by Kristen Bell.  She was introduced last season, and since then, through this season and the flashbacks from this season, we've seen so much character growth from her, if they just killed her off like that then I'm definitely ticked.  The way the writers just off characters really annoys me, and it would be especially annoying here, given how powerful Elle has proven to be (ie: when she stopped Sylar's attack in the cell block.)  So, again, here's hoping...if not...I'm pretty sure it'll be the last straw for me and this show...which sucks because...

Other than that, I really enjoyed the episode.  Hiro and Ando at the comic book store was just hilarious, especially with Hiro "not wanting to grow up" and just wanting to eat junk food and read comics.[/spoiler]

BentonGrey

Hey man, I just want to eat junk food and read comic books....don't we all?

Dr.Volt

[spoiler]I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm primarily ticked that it appears that they have offed Elle. Period.  And I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one.  I do hope that she's not dead.  And as an optimist I'll go ahead and say that it's possible.  Not probable...but there is a chance.  I hould say though that overall I did like this episode.  In fact, if it weren't for the last like 5 minutes of the show (yes, the scene with Elle's inferred murder) I would have thought the show rocked.  The scenes with a 10 year old minded Hiro were indeed really fun.  And I love the way that he pops in and teleports a super nasty like Sylar out of the scene like he's nothing.[/spoiler]

Here's to comic books and junk food!

captmorgan72

[spoiler]I just read in the newest tv guide that Elle does in fact die in the Dec 8th episode. This sucks, I really loved the fact that they had  Gabriel redeem himself with Elle. Now they are going to make him evil again? This might make me stop watching it.[/spoiler]

detourne_me

I think Dr. Volt is referring more to violence against women... from a trusted partner... Completely agree with you there doc.

Dr.Volt

Quote from: detourne_me on December 03, 2008, 05:22:03 AM
I think Dr. Volt is referring more to violence against women... from a trusted partner... Completely agree with you there doc.

Thanks for the great summary, Detour_me. 

Cap, yeah I'm with you...
[spoiler]That is, having trouble with this side flipping Sylar.  You can't just build the guy up as an ultra-nasty serial killer, try to sell him as a good guy, and then flip him back.  It doesn't wash.  [/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

[spoiler]
They could have sold it, I think, if they had taken some time, built up Sylar as feeling betrayed by all those who had swayed him to the good, or at least non serial killerish, side as having lied and manipulated him, thus convincing him that there are no such things as heroes and he might as well destroy them for the good of everyone.
[/spoiler]

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on December 03, 2008, 06:54:56 AM
[spoiler]
They could have sold it, I think, if they had taken some time, built up Sylar as feeling betrayed by all those who had swayed him to the good, or at least non serial killerish, side as having lied and manipulated him, thus convincing him that there are no such things as heroes and he might as well destroy them for the good of everyone.
[/spoiler]

I agree and believe that's the way it should've been done.  Even if it was built up in the remaining two episodes of the "volume"/"season", it would've played out better than that.

|