• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Heroes Season 3

Started by Glitch Girl, May 09, 2008, 06:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

thalaw2

Quote from: MJB on October 29, 2008, 02:56:47 PM
Perhaps this is just a case of the writers changing how things work 2 years later? I dunno.

-MJB

That's exactly the problem with the show...the powers aren't consistent.  [spoiler]Why did Pophave to touch Maya to take her power...if has Peter's powers couldn't he have done it just by being in her vicinity?  [/spoiler]

I find that I'm enjoying Knight Rider more than Heroes now....

Gremlin

Quote from: thalaw2 on October 29, 2008, 05:51:55 PM
Quote from: MJB on October 29, 2008, 02:56:47 PM
Perhaps this is just a case of the writers changing how things work 2 years later? I dunno.

-MJB

That's exactly the problem with the show...the powers aren't consistent.  [spoiler]Why did Pophave to touch Maya to take her power...if has Peter's powers couldn't he have done it just by being in her vicinity?  [/spoiler]

[spoiler]He can mimic her powers by being near her, but he can't remove the powers from her unless he touches her. Which is what he wanted.[/spoiler]

House Quake

Quote from: Talavar on October 29, 2008, 11:11:49 AM
When Nathan flew away from the Haitian he may just have been out of range - we don't have firm evidence of how far is power extends or can extend out from him.

The Haitian was standing right in front of him then..whoosh.

House Quake

Quote from: thalaw2 on October 29, 2008, 05:51:55 PM

[spoiler]Its how his powers work specifically.  He touches and apparently absorbs them... completely.  Not just mimc like Peter.   The point at the time was to absorb them in order to sway Molhinder to stay and help.

Also we still don't know the full extent of how his powers work.  Assuming we ever will.[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

As to The Hatian, we've already seen several characters be able, with enough effort, to break through his or other forms of power blocking, the only exception being the virus, which was the whole point of having it.

Nathan, in an extreme moment of stress, may just have broken through the blocking.  It would have only taken a second for him to get out of range anyway.

thanoson

So, why are the Pettrelli boys so impatient and headstrong? Seriously, Nathans gonna go busting down the door?

thalaw2

Maybe the Haitian can't block synthetic powers?

House Quake

Quote from: thanoson on October 30, 2008, 04:22:02 AM
So, why are the Pettrelli boys so impatient and headstrong? Seriously, Nathans gonna go busting down the door?

Look at thier mama and daddy.  :cool:

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Podmark on October 28, 2008, 10:18:36 PM
Actually mentioning the brain makes me wonder, what is the source of these powers? Is it blood brain, or what? I'm not too worried about it but it's just a curiosity.

According to the Heroes Alternate Reality Game it's the adrenal glands. This was stated in a recent feature, Mohinder's Journal,  that was added to coincide with the recent episodes.

Conduit

As far as the Haitian goes, I believe that it works like this: his "power supression field" is on by default, but he can turn it off if he wants, or even allow certain abilities while blocking others (see FYG from season 1, where he keeps Hiro from teleporting but allows Matt to read his mind).  So it's sort of both passive and active.  When Nathan flew away in his presence in Season 1, the Haitian may have let Nathan go out of loyalty to Angela Petrelli.  Or it could have been part of the plan (Linderman was running the Company at that point, and the attempted kidnapping might have been to confirm his ability had manifested, or just get him out of the room, or something).

Of course, I doubt the writers are thinking about these things in this kind of detail, but it's fun to try to figure out how things work.

Podmark

bredon7777

I'll reserve judgment until I see who replaces them, but my first reaction is "uh-oh".

catwhowalksbyhimself

The series is in trouble, and this is NBC's attempt to try to fix what used to be their greatest success and cash cow in many years.

Ratings for the third season are at an all-time low, and apparently fans are still whining about the direction of the show.  I think they'll whine anyways.  Season 2 was too similar to 1 and 3 is too different, so they just can't win.  In any case NBC is not happy with the way the show is going, so they suits are getting rid of these folks in an attempt to salvage the show.  They've already finished work on Volume 3, however, so don't expect any changes until volume 4 in January.

thalaw2

I was sitting in my favorite thinking room....taking care of bidness...when something crossed my mind.  If Poptrelli can drain powers then use them as his own then why would he be able to drain the same power twice?  [spoiler]For example, if he got healing from Adam why would he also take it from Peter?  Likewise, if he has Peter's ability to mimic powers in the vicinity then how could he "re-acquire" Maya's power? [/spoiler]

stumpy

[spoiler]Maybe he can still use his draining power on characters with powers he already has, but he still only gets the power once, or maybe it enhances it for him in some way.

I mean, we really know next to nothing about the details of Poptrelli's power. On top of the earlier discussion of whether he can also drain more general life force as well as specific powers, he may even be able to drain a power without absorbing it himself.

BTW, that's something I would like to see explored with the character as he is eventually defeated. I mean, we haven't seen too many yet, but it's certainly possible that someone could have a power that would be a huge disadvantage. The good guys, if they ever start acting the part, could trick Poptrelli into absorbing a disadvantageous power that he can't turn off. Maybe the power makes the character a ghost, or makes everyone in the room (including allies) hate him, or makes him vulnerable to air, or whatever.[/spoiler]

Sgt. Friday

Something that just hit me the other day....

[spoiler]
Whatever happened to that Muscle Memory girl from Vol. 2? Last I remember, she was tied up in a basement on fire.
I kinda liked her, and thought that she could have had some really good potential as a character, at very minimum, being one of the few characters who actually "liked" have powers (ok, Hiro does, but most of the other characters either hate their power, or just don't seem to care).[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

[spoiler]
Niki died pulling her out at the end of Season 2.  Presumably she's still alive and taking care of Micah.
[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

So basically, this whole episode was one giant retcon.  Not that I particularly mind.

One thing I didn't like, though

[spoiler]They killed Africa Isaac!  Noooooo![/spoiler]

thalaw2

A good episode that left a lot of questions....as always for me. 

BWPS

[spoiler]I wondered where they were going with all that background information. I still don't really know how much of it was necessary or relevant, except of course the stuff about Pops' story. I already felt bad for Sylar. And I'm not really worried about anyone's powers. They'll all get them back somehow or there's no show. I'm looking forward to a showdown between Nathan and Father (I can't remember his name!), I hope its not disappointing. [/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

One possible implication of this episode:

[spoiler]
The powers he uses in the flashback are identical to Matt and his father. (possibly the Hatian too) This may indicate that the power loss caused by his taking powers is only temporary. Of course, he may have just stolen from someone similar to Maury.
[/spoiler]

Mystik

also to note

[spoiler]Sylars powers were described by HRG as the ability to transfer powers from one vessel to another[/spoiler]

Podmark

Quote from: Mystik on November 12, 2008, 09:36:48 PM
also to note

[spoiler]Sylars powers were described by HRG as the ability to transfer powers from one vessel to another[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I think he was saying that in more general terms. He knew Sylar had stolen powers from someone else but not how, so he was currently assuming that was what his power was. It's still the ability to understand how things work. I do think it is very possible for him to give others powers just as he does himself though. [/spoiler]

The Hitman

Not much time for a synopsis of tonight's episode, but I will say that, if I didn't know better, it looks like they're trying to wrap up the series.

Podmark

Quote from: The Hitman on November 17, 2008, 08:09:30 PM
Not much time for a synopsis of tonight's episode, but I will say that, if I didn't know better, it looks like they're trying to wrap up the series.

I doubt it. These episodes would have been filmed a while ago and after firing Loeb and Alexander I expect they're planning to retool and give the show one last shot.

It wouldn't make sense to fire two core writers if you were just going to wrap things up shortly anyways.

catwhowalksbyhimself

No, they definitely want to save the show if they can.  It was too popular season one. It actually managed to beat the 24 premiere that year.

So, yeah, worth saving, if they can.

GhostMachine

I think I'm kind of over Heroes. I saw all of season one and missed maybe two episodes of season two, but this season I've more or less quit watching. Missed the one where future Peter took Peter into the future, only saw the last ten minutes or so of last week's, and didn't bother watching this week's episode and have no plans to catch the re-run on G4.

The writing has gotten a bit stupid - Mohinder's behavior regarding wanting powers made no sense, and now I guess he's a rip-off of the Fly - and I hope the cannings lead to vast improvements.

The Hitman

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 17, 2008, 09:54:31 PM
No, they definitely want to save the show if they can.  It was too popular season one. It actually managed to beat the 24 premiere that year.

So, yeah, worth saving, if they can.

Oh, I know. I just meant that if I were a casual viewer, with little to no comic book background, the low ratings, the writer layoffs, and the way the story is progressing (no spoilers), I'd start to suspect the show is headding for the chopping block.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, I'm still enjoying the show at least.

[spoiler]
Any thoughts on Gabriel's new way of taking powers?  His real power is kind of vaguely defined anyway, and since it is figuring out how something works and fixing things, I guess I can see the whole empathy thing.  It's just a different way of figuring out how it's working.

The two sides are drawn, which I like.  We now have our two parallel teams, with child Hiro out of the game for now.  The actor said another version of Future Hiro would appear, so I'm wondering if he'll come along to help his younger self.  What I don't get is why Papa didn't take Hiro's powers away.  He may already have them through Peter, but making sure Hiro can't intervene wouldn't be a bad thing.  Even being rendered childlike isn't a real solution, and Matt could potentially fix that anyway.

Is it me, or is depowered Peter doing a Batman thing now?[/spoiler]

The Hitman

I'm enjoying it too. What I gave was actually my dad's take on the series right now.

[spoiler]
I kind of like Gabe's new way of using his ability. I'd wager a bet that Poptrelli's was at one time more similar to Gabe's "hunger" than Pete's "just think about the person that uses the power," if that makes any sense.

I like the way the teams are split no as well. But where does HRG and... I can't think of her name, the fire lady, fit? What about Claude? He has to show up at some point. And Micah et al in Louisiana? Hiro being regressed to a kid is hilarious.

And do you know what I'd like to see? A flashback to when the "original" team was together. Or at least see Richard Roundtree come back for n episode.
[/spoiler]

|