• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Heroes Season 3

Started by Glitch Girl, May 09, 2008, 06:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

catwhowalksbyhimself

Okay, lots of confusion here. I may be able to help you guys out a bit.

[spoiler]
Quote- Well for those of us who don't follow all the extras out side of the show... the suspicions that the big baddie was papa Petrelli is good to know.

Actually, it wasn't a suspicion, since he is quite clearly shown to be the one in the bed at the end of the show, that is, within the show itself.  No outside extras needed.

Quote- There was always speculation about how the company knew that Claire (and a couple others) would develop powers before they did makes sense now.  I'm also pretty sure that in one of the episodes this season that the future conflict between the 'supers' was divided between the ones who were natural and the ones who were made.  So I'm going to assume everyone who was on the side of Claire and speed girl were all 'made'.  Also... any one who Petrelli goes after as well.  As it seams that he may have been the main person behind the experiments in the first place.

Again, it's quite clear that the formula has been put away for many years.  I am fairly confident that it has been locked away since long before Claire was born.  The conversation with Mrs. Petrelli seems to indicate that they didn't use it for very long.

QuoteI always suspected Papa was alive so it wasn't a huge surprise because he's mentioned too much to not be added into the story.  However, the way his powers seem to work could mean that Parkman is the 4th brother or at least a cousin..sigh!

That wasn't Papa doing that, did you miss Maury Parkman sneaking around and reporting to Papa Petrelli?  Maury's the one doing everything right now and he clearly stated that he produced the Linderman illusions.

[/spoiler]

Adamence

Quote from: MJB on October 17, 2008, 12:54:13 AM
Was anyone else ticked off at the fact that NBC ruined the shock ending of last weeks episode with their promos?

-MJB

There's a reason I don't watch the promos for the following week...my roommate laughs when I immediately change the channel going la-la-la-la-la... but I like not knowing.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Even during season 1, they had a bad habit of putting major spoilers in the promo--or putting in scenes that wouldn't appear for weeks, or sometimes not at all.   At least they seemed to have dropped the last two.

Podmark

All I want to say is:

[spoiler]Yay for Hiro! Was very concerned about Hiro 'killing' Ando, but it turned out it was awesome.
Also seeing Hiro get hit by a shovel twice was funny.

Also papa Patrelli he's got another variation of Peter and Sylar's powers. Kinda like it, but kinda hate it. [/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well:

[spoiler]
All I have to say about Hiro and Ando is
:lol:
Well, not all I have to say.  The whole fake killing was well handled, which I was skeptical they could pull of well.  The highlight of the show, though, was Hiro going back in time only to get hit with the shovel again.  I couldn't stop laughing!
I still think Mr. Africa Isaac is quite cool.

Now on to other things

It looks like I wasn't the only one who thought it wasn't good to have two titans of the Heroes world on the same side, 'cause we just lost one of them.  Well, we don't know if Papa stole Peter's original absorption power or just the ones he aquired.   This also means the who hunger thing is a non issue, hopefully, because Papa should have it now.

I was kinda sorry to see Adam go, though.  I thought he made a good villain and I think it's a shame for him to be gone like this.  Oh well.

Even though Peter vs Gabriel was short, I thought it was well done, and at least Peter actually won this time.
[/spoiler]

thanoson

what happened to Adam? I missed the 1st 5 mins.

The Hitman

[spoiler]
Mr. Petrelli mind- forced Adam to grab his hand. Petrelli stole Adam's healing power, and since it was the only thing keeping him alive, Adam crumbled into 400- year- old dust.
[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Missing part of your spoiler tag buddy.

Anyhow, I was wondering the difference between him and the other guy, but that explanation works.

Conduit

This is the first episode of this season that I've seen.  I missed the first few episodes, and I wasn't interested in what I had heard about them.  All the confusing time travel, revelations that didn't make much sense, and weird characterization.  But this episode was pretty good.  It didn't make a whole lot of sense, but it was pretty entertaining.  I might stick around a little longer.

[spoiler]
Hiro's encounter with African Isaac was great.  Everything from "They all look alike to me.  That's racist." to, of course, Hiro travelling back in time only to get whacked over the head again.

Claire's storyline with the pupper master guy was really good and intense.  I was honestly a little tense in the Russian Roulette scene.

I don't like how they killed off Adam.  Especially since I've heard that they only brought him back one or two episodes ago.  The major villain of last season, has a good amount of unused potential, then he's dug up only to turn him to dust one episode later.  Not that he should have been kept on forever like Sylar, but I would have liked to see him get a little more to do this season.

So Papa Petrelli is the major villain this season?  This could be interesting.

To those who have seen the previous episodes, have they ever explained what happened to Caitlyn from last season, or even mentioned her?  How about the last scene of Volume 2, which implied that Angela was involved with Nathan's shooting or at least knew about it?
[/spoiler]

The Hitman

[spoiler]
Caitlyn is trapped in an alternate future. The end. I think it would be a mistake to bring in the notion of parallel worlds. It's too much for the casual watcher. Plus, as good looking as she is, she did nothing for the story.

I'm sure Momtrelli knew about the shooting, with her prophetic dreams and such. I'd like to believe that, since it was obvious she didn't know who the shooter was, she believed that Bob sent the guy. What it probably was, the writers decided to go in a different direction between the end of season 2 and the beginning of season 3.

And about the Adam thing, if they really want him back, they could by explaining that if Poptrelli is killed, which I bet he is by the end of the season, all of the stolen powers will go back to their original owners, so Adam's dust would re- congeal and poof- Adam's back
[/spoiler]

Hey, I remembered the Spoiler Tags this time!  :thumbup:

catwhowalksbyhimself

[spoiler]
Caitlyn's storyline was part of the original Volume 3, which no longer exists, won't be filmed ever, which pretty much means she's gone.

QuoteHow about the last scene of Volume 2, which implied that Angela was involved with Nathan's shooting or at least knew about it?
Well, she did tell Future Peter that she knew about him because of her dreaming ability.  Even if she didn't know exactly who was responsible, she may have dreamed it happening.
[/spoiler]

thanoson

So, is anybody else getting tired of Peter doing stupid stuff? Man, he's the cause of almost 3 disatrous events in the world.

stumpy

[spoiler]
Quote from: The Hitman on October 21, 2008, 09:44:30 AM
And about the Adam thing, if they really want him back, they could by explaining that if Poptrelli is killed, which I bet he is by the end of the season, all of the stolen powers will go back to their original owners, so Adam's dust would re- congeal and poof- Adam's back

Also, a variation is that Poptrelli absorbs powers and then they slowly fade from him. That's something that occurred to me when wondering how he ended up with almost no powers in that bed, particularly since he would likely have been the most powerful of the "parent generation" heroes.

As an aside, Adam's death was sort of unecessary, plot-wise, since Poptrelli could have tricked Peter into touching him even in bed and he would have gotten Peter's Claire-derived healing power that way.[/spoiler]

Quote from: thanoson on October 21, 2008, 11:59:14 AMSo, is anybody else getting tired of Peter doing stupid stuff? Man, he's the cause of almost 3 disatrous events in the world.

I tend to agree that people in the show do lots of dumb things that aren't really congruent with normal (Peter) or exceptional (Mohinder) intelligence.
[spoiler]BTW, is the premise that the reason Mohinder is kidnapping an increasing number of people (specials and non-specials) that he needs them for his powering/depowering research? Or is it that he also has some uncontrollable urge that he is satisfying by trapping them? It just seems stupid because most of those people (Maya, Nathan, Tracy) would have given him blood/tissue samples if he just asked.

Meanwhile, he knew that Tracy could freeze things, but he kept her "secured" with cuffs that normal strength could break when embrittled by cold? Yeesh. Of course, they coul be playing pretty fast and loose with the physics there...[/spoiler]

stumpy

BTW, I did get a good chuckle out of
[spoiler]Daphne's "This is getting kind of stalky..." line at the airport when Matt was telling her how he knew about a future together with her. I mean, look at what she's doing and she calls him "stalky"? Helloooo. Irony much?  :lol:[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Oh, there were some great lines.  Actually, there was a lot of humor in this episode, even with a couple of more intense things going on.  Really well balanced.

[spoiler]And the puppeteer is so far the creepiest of the villains.  Even though I knew exactly what would happen once the Russian roulette thing started, it was a still a very well done part of the episode.[/spoiler]

BWPS

Daphne = :thumbdown:
[spoiler]Daphne has already used the terms "precog" and "speedster", which totally don't belong in this show. I hate her. Also she wears too much makeup, which is hard to do on TV because everyone wears a lot of makeup, even men. [/spoiler]
This show is so great to me. I'm so willing to suspend my disbelief of  and the fact that Peter and Mohinder seem to be playing Idiot Ball catch while they're both Too Dumb To Live. Rule of Cool in action! And I just wasted another 30 minutes of my life on TV tropes. DAMMIT!

bredon7777

BWPS-
[spoiler]
Why don't precog and speedster belong in the show? It's been well established that comic books exist in the show, I can only assume that sci-fi literature does as well. Those are fairly common terms in the genre, and its likely that anyone who is well read would know them, so Im not sure aht your objection is

[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

And even in real life, when something similar to something fictional becomes reality, it simply takes on the name given to it in fiction.  There's no reason why superhero terms and power titles wouldn't be passed on to people who really had them.  It only makes sense, actually.

Sevenforce

Psst...sarcasm. His posts are laced with it like sarcasmite  :P

BWPS

They don't belong in comic books either. They just sound so stupid to me to have little nicknames for different powers. Its ok for people who are talking about comic books or shows, but I don't like when the characters actually use them. I think it's because it takes away the coolness of the power. "He's one of probably 3 known people who have ever been able to actually see the future, yknow, just one of those precogs!" It seems like they're saying it to be cool and appeal to comic book geeks, but it sounds stupid to me because I'm painfully aware of that. It's almost as bad as the Product Placement Precog - "I'm painting the future, Mr. Pacman, it's a message: be... sure... to... drink... your... ovaltine..."

catwhowalksbyhimself

But people DO come up with nicknames for everything.  It's in our nature.  The fact is, they DO belong in comic books, you DO need a name for common powers, and people WILL give names for everything whether you like it or not.

thanoson

Yep, people call some magic users mentalist, hypnotist, etc.... As soon as we saw her use super speed, we all called her speedster. Why wouldn't she? SHe's got to be at least as hip as some of us. However, there is one flaw to her I don't like. Why does she use super speed when in a full room where everyone can see? Wouldn't that cause suspicion on her part?

BWPS

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on October 22, 2008, 07:30:08 AM
But people DO come up with nicknames for everything.  It's in our nature.  The fact is, they DO belong in comic books, you DO need a name for common powers, and people WILL give names for everything whether you like it or not.
I know this. I'm just saying I really don't like it. It annoys me and she annoys me. If I'm the only one who is annoyed by it, that's a good thing. I really don't expect them to change anything.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteHowever, there is one flaw to her I don't like. Why does she use super speed when in a full room where everyone can see? Wouldn't that cause suspicion on her part?

She doesn't seem the type to really care, especially as she goes to places so far away from where she actually lives.  In addition, it has been shown that she moves so fast that normal people can't even see her, just notice an usual gust of wind.  Even when someone does see her, they probably have no idea what happened, and just brush it off as something wierd.

USAgent

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on October 22, 2008, 10:18:02 AM
  Even when someone does see her, they probably have no idea what happened, and just brush it off as something wierd.

And that is exactly what you saw people in the background at the airport terminal doing, they gave a quick sideways glance when she bolted, then shrugged it off.  (And after what she saw happen at the end of the show, ya just know it is going to be her turning point into a hero)

thalaw2

[spoiler]Sucks the way Adam died.  Why put in all that back story to kill him off like that?  It doesn't even make sense.  If he just had his powers removed wouldn't he just become mortal?  Maybe this whole thing was done because the writers knoew they'd written themselves into a trap with the who "hunger" thing and they didn't want to go back to using "the healing blood"[/spoiler]

stumpy

[EDIT: Haha. While I went back to slow-mo that scene a few times, thalaw2 made the point for me. Great minds... :)]

Another thing on Adam
[spoiler]
Quote from: The Hitman on October 21, 2008, 09:11:23 AMMr. Petrelli mind- forced Adam to grab his hand. Petrelli stole Adam's healing power, and since it was the only thing keeping him alive, Adam crumbled into 400- year- old dust.

When I saw that scene, it wasn't what I thought had happened, though now I agree that is probably what they meant.

[nitpick]
This goes back to one of my peeves about how rapid aging is depicted. I don't think it makes much sense that Adam's power was actively keeping him from experiencing 400 years of decay. After all, it's a power that heals him by repairing cell damage and such, not a power that stops time just for him (otherwise it wouldn't heal macroscopic damage, nevermind issues with the time-stopping itself). Once his power was removed, he should have aged at a one physiological year per one temporal year rate. Otherwise, if removing his power undoes all its past effects, he should have died instantly of myriad sword wounds, oxygen deprivation while entombed, falling off buildings, and who knows what all else instead of visibly decaying while basically alive over the course of several seconds.

And, once again, hair. Adam's hair was shown turning gray in that scene. I've said this in another thread, but hair itself is dead and doesn't change color because the hair outside the follicle changes color, but because the follicle loses the ability to add pigment as the hair grows. So, if Adam's follicles were aging, his visible hair would stay the same color because it had pigment when it left his scalp.
[/nitpick]

BTW, if Adam's power really was holding back 400 years of aging instead of just regenerating him to yesterday's age every day, then Adam would have died if he ever had his power nulled (not even stolen) for a minute, for instance by someone like the Haitian.
[/spoiler]

MJB

[spoiler]
Quote from: stumpy on October 23, 2008, 12:17:14 AMBTW, if Adam's power really was holding back 400 years of aging instead of just regenerating him to yesterday's age every day, then Adam would have died if he ever had his power nulled (not even stolen) for a minute, for instance by someone like the Haitian.
[/spoiler]

I have a theory...

[spoiler]Perhaps the Haitian's power only suspends the owners use of said power. This would explain why the Haitian could suspend the use and Poptrelli can take them permanently.[/spoiler]

-MJB

Conduit

[spoiler]
I've heard some theories that the Haitian can only prevent the use of active powers.  So, for instance, he can stop Elle from shooting out lightning or Sylar from using telekinesis, but he can't stop Ted when he's losing control (see Company Man from season 1).  I have no idea how well that theory has held up, but it would at least explain why Adam didn't lose his regeneration and die whenever he got close to the Haitian.
[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

[spoiler]
Except he did block Peter's regeneration in the future, but Peter is a little different.  Or rather, was.
[/spoiler]

|