• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Luck of Heroes: Twilight *Open thread*

Started by Uncle Yuan, November 30, 2007, 08:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Yuan

Things have gotten a little quiet in her RPG-wise and I've been seriously thinking about starting up a new PbP.  Those of you who've been around may be familiar with the Luck of Heroes that I ran.  Unfortunately, like most games it petered out, although that was somewhat influenced by a couple of board outtages.

My current plan is to try and construct something similar - longer post, collaborative story telling type things - but design it to be much more episodic/serial rather than epic.  This would allow for roster changes with minimal impact or even allow players to play different characters in each episode.  The setting would be super heroic, likely taking place in my Luck of Heroes universe.  Conflict resolution (what little I tend to feel is necessary) would be loosely based on the FUDGE system.  (You can download a free pdf of the game book at the link).  The characters would be fairly specifically defined, but in more narrative terms rather than stat centered.  Posting expectations would be on the order of 2-3 times per week, mostly becuase I hope that eacher player's post will be on the order of several paragraphs.

I'm hoping to get 3-4 strong players to start.  Beginning RPGers are encouraged to apply, but I reserve the right to request PM pre-post outlines, at least until we all get comfortable with the collaborative storytelling aspects.  Uber just reaaly, really especially sucks in this format.

So, give a shout if you think you'd be interested.  Ask any questions you might have.  Grill me on mechanics.  What have you.

BlueBard

My advice?  Wait until after the holidays to start.

RP Posting Games historically slow to a crawl until sometime in January, I've noticed.  The Paranoia game is on life support and not expected to emerge from its' coma until after the holiday, if ever.

Lord Elcorion

i'd be willing to play. heck, i recall practically calling dibs on a spot in the next game you ran after LoH wrapped up. so i'm here to claim my dibs, sir. --presents a claim check that reads 'good for dibs on one spot in the next uncle yuan-run RPG'-- i still remember the charecter concept i wanted to use, too.

kkhohoho

I'm interested, and I won't be slowing to a crawl during the Holiday Season. :P

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: BlueBard on November 30, 2007, 01:22:16 PM
My advice?  Wait until after the holidays to start.

RP Posting Games historically slow to a crawl until sometime in January, I've noticed.  The Paranoia game is on life support and not expected to emerge from its' coma until after the holiday, if ever.

I almost certainly won't be starting anything until after the holidays, but I did want to get a head start on character creation and maybe some introductory solo play for those who can/want.

Uncle Yuan

Wow, this whole forum is really quiet!  Nobody has posted anything in a week!

As of right now, I have interest from three players, and that's enough for me to get something started.  I have an exam tomorrow and a busy weekend ahead, so I hope to get the ball rolling by early next week.

If any one else is interested go ahead and speak up. Even once the game is running, I hope to have points to introduce new characters on a fairly regular basis.

bredon7777

I'll give it a try; and I actually have more free time over the holidays given that I will be off a great deal, while Mrs. bredon, who works retail, will not.

Lord Elcorion

hmmmm.. ok, i dunno how it happened, but somehow a PM reply i made to UY got misdirected into kkhohoho's box.. if anyone else in the game somehow got this message, please disregard it. UY, please let me know if it actually got to you, it was my charecter bio stuff.. i have a copy i can e-mail to you if you'd like.

Uncle Yuan

At this point I have only received one solid reply from the four who expressed interest in the game.  And no reply at all from two who have.   I know the holidays are busy, so as we move out of the holiday season I'm hoping I can get his rolling soon.   If I don't get something more by the weekend from the yet-to-respond contingent (even a 'I'm working on it' PM would be appreciated) I'm going to table this for the time being.

And as always, I am willing to accept all takers, so give a holler if you're interested.

kkhohoho

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on January 01, 2008, 06:57:45 AM
At this point I have only received one solid reply from the four who expressed interest in the game.  And no reply at all from two who have.   I know the holidays are busy, so as we move out of the holiday season I'm hoping I can get his rolling soon.   If I don't get something more by the weekend from the yet-to-respond contingent (even a 'I'm working on it' PM would be appreciated) I'm going to table this for the time being.

And as always, I am willing to accept all takers, so give a holler if you're interested.

I just sent you my character's bio.

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: kkhohoho on January 01, 2008, 10:26:21 AM
Quote from: Uncle Yuan on January 01, 2008, 06:57:45 AM

I just sent you my character's bio.

Excellent.  Received!

bredon7777

Sorry. Old computer died, been getting and setting up a new one. I did send an email requesting at least some sort of broad guidelines as to the type of world were playing in so I can figure out what kind of character to create. So I'm guessing you never got it?

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: bredon7777 on January 07, 2008, 03:59:44 AM
Sorry. Old computer died, been getting and setting up a new one. I did send an email requesting at least some sort of broad guidelines as to the type of world were playing in so I can figure out what kind of character to create. So I'm guessing you never got it?

Nope, never did.  Check PM.

Uncle Yuan

I've retitled this thread and am maintaining it for open comments and questions about the "Luck of Heroes: Twilight" PBP.  Players and readers are welcome to post at any time - I'm reserving the other thread for game posts only.

If you are interested in joining the game once it is underway give a shout here and I'll be in touch.

Lord Elcorion

just sent in Danny's C-sheet, following the guidelines you sent us. looking forward to getting this underway

bredon7777

Just emailed you two pages of text with my guys bio.

Uncle Yuan

Aaand we're rolling.

New post up featuring a special NPC appearance of a former PC.  I take all credit for significant life changes that have occurred.  Who knows, it might even prompt the original author to get his electronic but back here once in a while.

Lord Elcorion

we can hope, Grendal was an excellent writer. and i know you said in the PM to keep things short, but i started typing and got on a bit of a roll..

Uncle Yuan

I had hoped to get the next post up this last Sunday, but between the car accident, getting back to school for a couple of days and getting ready for my trip, it hasn't happened.  I hope to have something before I go.  *crosses fingers*  I also have been told that I should have pretty reliable internet connection while there, so I hope to be able to keep things running while I'm gone.

We'll see!  :D

Lord Elcorion

lets hope the Luck of Heros will be with you from now on.

Uncle Yuan

Sorry - travel and so forth has allowed a serious mistake to be perpetrated in the game thread -

Quote from: kkhohoho on January 31, 2008, 07:29:56 PM
Ed looked at his surroundings.  Hm....That guy over there looks like an average Joe...and the other one looks like he's ready for a ballroom competition.  Then there's this guy who looks like the old man from The Karate Kid.  And either I'm dreaming, or THIS is what I got for being too trusting.

There is no Asian guy in the room.  Your door opens, two other doors open - 3 PCs in the room.  I do apologise - in rereading my post I saw that it was not clear who entered the room besides yourself, although I thought it would be obvious that three PCs entered and no one else.

So . . . how to fix?  Luckily it hasn't come up yet in subsiquent posts, so I think it would be easiest if those who mentioned said non-existent character simply removed said references from their posts.

Otherwise I'm quite pleased with everything else.  Carry on!  If you feel like you've said all you can/care to, I'll jump in and introduce the next twist.

On a practical level - I have access only to an old computer with dail-up.  The keyboard and mouse are very tempremental (you know how frutrating that can make things) and I have have to pay for the internet - which comes out to 75% time paying for pages to load.  So, I will be checking in maybe twice a week while I'm away.  Sorry it couldn't be more, but after I return I promise to get things going!

bredon7777

I've decided to pepper David's dialog with quotes from comic books (no, nothing TOO obscure). I've done it twice already.  Just curious to see if anyone can a)identify the quotes and b) where they came from.

Lord Elcorion

sorry man.. i'm not actually a big comic book reader.

kkhohoho

I've made a mistake.  I meant to ask the guy in the wheelchair if he had a letter, not David.  I thought David was the name of the guy in the wheelchair. Will you guys allow me to fix it, or do you not want to edit your posts?

Uncle Yuan

David is the guy in the wheel chair.  It is also, alas, the Immortal's given name.  From my reading I think Dracon is adressing "my" David the last posts.  Can we agree that when they're on scene together that we reserve David for my NPC and have Bredon's character stick with the Imoortal?

Lord Elcorion

acctually i was speaking to both, though my last posts were directed to be in answer of immortals questions and concerns.

bredon7777

Sorry. The wife and I have been ping-ponging a cold back and forth.  I'll try to have my bit up tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest.

Lord Elcorion

sorry for delays in posting, it's been kinda crazy round here the last few days. UY, i sent my post draft to ya just now, so just waiting for you to get back to me on it.

bredon7777

I got Rick Rolled into a system crash, so its gonna take another day or so to recreate what I had done.

Sorry

bredon7777

Should have my next bit mailed to Unka within the hour