• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

alert init renderer

Started by thehod, November 17, 2007, 07:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehod

Right, I've installed FF (again) and downloaded and installed patch 1.3, so why am I still getting an alert init renderer message when I try to run the game.

It used to work on my vista laptop, but its now decided it doesn't want to play ball.

I think its something to do with directx 10 and its total inability to be backwards compatible.

any ideas?

stumpy

I get that same thing with FF. For me, rebooting always fixes it, though it can be a pain.

BTW, it doesn't happen all of the time. Sometimes I can start up FF fine and keep it running or quit and restart with no trouble. But, I have noticed that some other programs seem to cause that error to come up (and require a reboot if I want to play FF). My guess is that those programs change a graphics setting or initialize some feature in the card or in DirectX that is not compatible with FF. It would be nice if I knew how to reset the card without rebooting the PC.

Anyway, the program I have most noticed that seems to cause trouble is the Adobe Flash plug-in. That is, displaying a webpage with Flash content seems to result in the init renderer error the next time I try to start FF. I didn't notice this at first because I deliberately keep Flash totally disabled in my main browser. But, once it a while I will open a page that has Flash content and that seems to fargle FF.

thehod

Rebooting doesn't change the situation. Damn message still pops up.

stumpy

We're outside of my experience with this now, but I have heard others talk about updating video drivers and even rolling back drivers to previous versions. Maybe someone else will have a different suggestion.

Epimethee

Stumpy, the Flash in browser thing is very weird, since Flash player, post-install, shouldn't have access to either directX or your driver, AFAIK. I'm curious... Does it happen in both IE (where Flash is an ActiveX control) and in Firefox/Mozilla/Opera/Safari (where it's a Netscape-compatible plugin)?