• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

A new look for Captain America? How would you do it?

Started by Outcast, October 13, 2007, 12:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outcast

Calling all artists and critics alike. :)

If given the opportunity, how would you design it? What would it look like?  :cool:

I'm sure everyone's got their own version and interpretation they would like to share. :P

Who wants to take the challenge?  ^_^

MJB

daglob

I would make him look exactly the same. There was nothing wrong with the previous costume; it was intended as a symbol not a fashion statement.

Courtnall6

Why mess with perfection!?

I'll give it a shot though...

Outcast

Quote from: daglob on October 13, 2007, 05:36:20 AM
I would make him look exactly the same. There was nothing wrong with the previous costume; it was intended as a symbol not a fashion statement.

I agree. ^_^ I also like Captain America's original costume. But it seems, Marvel comics wants to try something new. Though i am not ruling out the possibility that this is all just a phase and they will eventually bring back Cap and his old costume. So this is just a what if scenario. As of the moment, Marvel wants a new look for Cap. So, i was just wondering, how the people here would like their new Captain America to look like if ever. :P

Quote from: MJB on October 13, 2007, 02:56:02 AM
I'm half tempted to give this a shot...

-MJB

Give in to your temptation. You know you want it.  :twisted:

Quote from: Courtnall6 on October 13, 2007, 05:59:11 AM
Why mess with perfection!?

I'll give it a shot though...

Can't wait to see it.  :thumbup:

zuludelta

I echo the others' sentiments... I don't think you could significantly improve on the original costume... not saying that the original was perfect, but a replacement costume would have to be pretty outstanding to make people forget a design that's been constant for almost seven decades. As far as making the costume more utilitarian and "soldier-y," we already have Ultimate Captain America for that.

Personally, if they weren't going to stick with the old costume, I'd rather they just updated Winter Soldier's costume to reflect his past as Bucky instead of have him wear that Ross-designed monstrosity (assuming that it is Bucky in the new Cap costume). He doesn't have to take the Captain America identity if all he wants to do is track down Tony Stark and give him his comeuppance. Everybody knows that they'll be going back to a more traditional-looking variant of the original costume at some point in the future anyway (maybe in a few months, maybe in a few years). Just look at guys like Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, Wolverine, Colossus, Dr. Strange, etc. they've all worn all sorts of costumes throughout their existence but they eventually return to wearing some recognizable variant of the original.

Anyways, here's my take on Winter Soldier reprising his Bucky role:

+      =      

Courtnall6

Nice concept zulu. It blends the two designs very well. :cool:

Personally, I never liked the "Cable" arm and would have hid it under synth-flesh or something.

Outcast

Interesting design Zulu.  :)  Why the head microphone though?  ^_^

And i see you used the short red gloves, the new Captain America is wearing. Though, this time the boots match the color of the gloves.  :P Does this mean you're already convinced, that this new Cap is Bucky?  ^_^

zuludelta

Quote from: Courtnall6 on October 13, 2007, 10:04:35 AM
Nice concept zulu. It blends the two designs very well. :cool:

Thanks!

Quote from: Courtnall6 on October 13, 2007, 10:04:35 AM
Personally, I never liked the "Cable" arm and would have hid it under synth-flesh or something.

Yeah, "Cable arms" (where the rest of the person's body is patently non-robotic) are something of a pet peeve of mine as well. They don't really look good outside of a few exceptions (Tetsuo in Akira is the first that springs to mind), and they just tend to make things look more cluttered than they should be. Still, it's probably the most distinct aspect of Winter Soldier's "look" apart from the fashion model hair.

Quote from: Outcast on October 13, 2007, 10:58:58 AM
Interesting design Zulu.  :)  Why the head microphone though?  ^_^

I dunno... I wasn't really giving it much thought and just adding things without thinking too much about them. I just didn't feel like drawing ears, I guess  :lol:

Quote from: Outcast on October 13, 2007, 10:58:58 AMAnd i see you used the short red gloves, the new Captain America is wearing. Though, this time the boots match the color of the gloves.

Actually, the short gloves were taken from Winter Soldier's outfit. As I mentioned, the design isn't mean to be an updated Captain America design... it's Winter Soldier as Bucky. I didn't really want to use any real Captain America elements, since if somebody's costume was going to be updated, I'd rather they just "Bucky-fied" the Winter Soldier costume instead. 

Quote from: Outcast on October 13, 2007, 10:58:58 AM:P Does this mean you're already convinced, that this new Cap is Bucky?  ^_^

Well, if they're intent on having a new person in the Captain America suit, yeah, I'd rather it was Bucky, or even Jack Monroe, the second "Bucky"/Nomad (if, you know, he wasn't busy being dead). 

GhostMachine

Like your design, ZD, but wouldn't it look better with the collar being red, like on the Bucky outfit? Just doesn't look right to me with the only red being a glove and the boots.

detourne_me

Really like your design ZD.   one thing i'd try to add is to the chest,  kind of like USAgent's chest design.  That way Bucky's still wearing the flag,  even if it's not Steve's flag.

yeah the cable arm kinda sucks...

RTTingle

I so wish I was an artist.

I'll try to do something a lil later with templates, and all --- but for now, I'll just give you my best descriptions.

Now, about Ross' costume redesign and why I don't like it.

1 - Ross has case of Liefield-itis.  It seems this is pretty much the same design for the new Cap as he did for the spider-man movie. 
http://www.alexrossart.com/artforsale.asp?sc=ARSP1

2 - Too much black.  I'm cool with black, really - I am.  I even think some black on this costume is a nice idea.  But over 50% of the costume is black and from the waist down - it's the only color.

3 - I think its interesting how they're trying to mix some older and elseworld elements into this costume.  I support the idea, but not its execution.  The Golden Age, wartime/soldier, serial, Bucky elements need better themeing, placement.  This doesn't come off looking like wartime Cap as much as it does Cap doing Marvel's Union Jack.

So.  What would I do?

1 - Stick with the old design and change just a few elements.  Cap still looks like Cap with the redesign, but it looks like Batman from the waist down.  I'd use the same colors, but a fade into dark shades.  Give Cap his pants and belt back!  It's just plain awkward and the pouches out of nowhere is just silly looking.

2 - Keep the black, but cut it back - alot and use sparingly.

3 - A) For the wartime elements, unless there is an actual war going on - DROP THEM.  I don't like the gun --- plain and simple it's not Cap, unless its Wartime.  The knife I may let slide, if it was on the side of the boots.  The canteen... yer' kidding --- right?  DROP IT.  If Cap is doing missions in the Middle East or something, I can understand.  But being a crime fighting hero?  No. 
     B) For Bucky/Winter Soldier element, I always dug the button up front design, that would be incorporated into the new costume.  The patch up front would be the original colors, but as it wrapped around the shades would darken to black.   The eyes around the original mask would be dark as well, like an outline of Bucky/Winter Soldier's mask.
         As for the gun, ditch the lethality.  I have nothing against gun toting heroes.  Everyone knows I love The Shadow, Crimson Avenger and the Phantom.  But we're talking Cap here and unless there is a war going on and Cap is on that battlefield --- guns are out.  UNLESS... Stark has a new taser/gadget gun designed for Cap.  That I'm cool with.  But ditch the bullets.  No bullets - of any kind.  No matter who is inside that costume --- the fact of the matter is, it is always supposed to be Captain America on the outside.  Someone said it best, when they said, Captain America is a representation of an ideal of what America should be --- not what it is.

C) I was always a sucker for the old shield and played the GA Cap in FF all the time with that old shield.  I like the old shield incorporated, just not as a costume element. Make it the shield again, kind of.  Use the circular shield, but the old shield is the main symbol and the rest of the shield has a black background.   

Ok, 'Phins as usual stunk up the field.... here's my very poor interpretation of how I'd like to see the new costume.

The Costume.

The Shield.

RTT

Zippo

Wow, RTTingle, that's actually a pretty kick-butt design! I really dig the button-up front.

Cardmaster

Quote from: RTTingle on October 14, 2007, 11:42:00 AM
1 - Ross has case of Liefield-itis.  It seems this is pretty much the same design for the new Cap as he did for the spider-man movie. 
http://www.alexrossart.com/artforsale.asp?sc=ARSP1

Holy crap Tingle! I thought the same exact thing when I saw that black with the triangle!  :lol: :lol:

-CM

Courtnall6

Here are some concepts I made for a new look Cap. :cool:

These 3 were my initial designs...

Then this design. I liked this one and tried it with a new shield.

Here's a quick drawing and colouring of my new look Cap with classic shield. I didn't stray too far from the original design.

zuludelta

I like the minor changes on your re-design C6 and I can understand why you didn't really go with any real alterations... as I've mentioned before, it's pretty hard to do a more "military" looking Captain America without straying into Ultimate Captain America territory (even RTTingle's design, which I admit looks pretty good, is practically the same as the World War II Ultimate Captain America, complete with the classic shield).

Podmark

I have costume designs for Falcon and Justice if they were to become Captain America in my head. The Falcon design doesn't stray much from Caps look but adds some Falconish features, the Justice one combines his costume with Caps. I've been tempted to skin them but maybe I'll try a drawing, finally show off my somewhat limited artistic skills. We'll see...

RTTingle

Snazzy stuff C6!

I like the design you colored as tops... you took Ross' design with the triangle --- changed it up just a bit, made it nice and took away the whole "look at my crotch!" issue.  No belt???  No problem!  Works just fine without it.  I especially like the mask, how you opened the nose and pointed the eyes, making it almost like Bucky's old mask.  Well done!!!

The first sketch I really like because of the simple idea of switching the A down to the striped part of the costume and the star on the head.  Very unique and a bit hard to work, but I really like it.

The second sketch is a cool design, but for some reason the horizontal stripes throw me off of it, I don't know why, because I really like how you worked it in as a nod to "The Captain"/US Agent costumes.

The third sketch tickles me pink because of the dated button up look, yet still very stylish with the modern design on it.

Great stuff all around C6.  :)

Awesome link you posted ZD.  Never paid attention to the Ultimates line and haven't seen much in the way of toys lately.  I am so going have to pick up that toy ---- I love it!

RTT

Mowgli

I really like the subtle changes C6. I think that's the way to go when redesigning sucha well known character. Good ideas.

Mine is similar to RTTingle's design. I think we are on the same page. I drew this at a faculty meeting before I looked at his design. the  colors would be the same as the regular cap outfit, with no white on the sleeves. The pants are matching blue fatigues, like army pants.

I like a more army look, I guess that's why the pants aren't spandex. The combat boots would be red, like Cap's regular boots. The mask changed a little too. Hope you like it.

Courtnall6

Looks good Mowgli :cool:

A bit too real looking for my tastes and Cap is not Cap without headwings! :P

XPTO

juancho

Here is my go at the new design for Steve
Actually design 1 was made for a Project i was going to work on called Avengers Generation, where the new team was leaded by Elijah Bradley himself (Patriot from Young Avengers) but decided to use this look for a new cap, cause i am loving how this thread is turning out.
I included 3 shields, clasoc, Modern & the one designed by c6 with a minor modification.

I hope you like them

Constructive critisism is always wellcomed :P

Blkcasanova247

Nice work as usual my boy! Second outfit with the round shield with the small star...definitely!

UnfluffyBunny

ooooh, juancho's second there is really cool, you can see it incorperates alot of the different aspects, but it remains true to cap and looks very modern :thumbup:

bat1987

I agree, Juancho`s second looks really cool but still recognizable!

Outcast

Hey! Those are some cool new designs everyone!  :thumbup:

I think Juancho's third shield could really cut someone up if Cap throws it at them really fast.  :P

Tomato

Juanco's second cap is probably my favorite sofar, though I think I'd be happy if any of these designs were used compared to the Alex Ross cap  :angry:

BentonGrey

Man, I LOVE C6's third design, it looks like a great fusion between Bucky and Cap, and I think it just looks fantastic. 

murs47

Those are all amazing designs.....all of them. Someone should point Marvel execs in the direction of this thread.

I actually want to skin some of these designs. :)

Haljack

Quote from: juancho on October 21, 2007, 06:29:52 PM
Here is my go at the new design for Steve
Actually design 1 was made for a Project i was going to work on called Avengers Generation, where the new team was leaded by Elijah Bradley himself (Patriot from Young Avengers) but decided to use this look for a new cap, cause i am loving how this thread is turning out.
I included 3 shields, clasoc, Modern & the one designed by c6 with a minor modification.

I hope you like them

Constructive critisism is always wellcomed :P

Love that 2nd design