Outcast

Just wondering, how many base skins were made out there?  :huh:

Presently, I only know these:

Gryphon base skinss

Zed's base skins

C6 base skins

:unsure:

Carravaggio

also look for Paradox, IPS and Valander base skins (im presuming "Zed" is Zuludelta, if not, he made a few as well). Also Alycat made a reange of base skins and material bases. Most of them are likely to be available at NPI.

NomadX

Podmark

Quote from: Carravaggio on October 05, 2007, 11:58:33 PM
also look for Paradox, IPS and Valander base skins (im presuming "Zed" is Zuludelta, if not, he made a few as well). Also Alycat made a reange of base skins and material bases. Most of them are likely to be available at NPI.

Zed was a old school FF creator, even I barely remembered him.

Outcast

Thanks for the help and reply guys! If there is any additional information or update as with regards to this,please feel free to add it here. Hoping this thread becomes a useful reference for other people who wish to create their own skins.  ;)

Hiroki8

is using a base skin made by others to make a new skin stealing?

Lionheart

Quote from: Hiroki8 on November 06, 2007, 09:06:36 AM
is using a base skin made by others to make a new skin stealing?

No. The "nude" or basic base skins were released by the original creators so that others could use them to make their own characters.

For example, the new avatar I made for myself back in February was done using Gryphon's base. My previous av used one of C6's. It is customary that if you use someone's base to create your own character and release it, that you include credit for the base skin in a readme file, though.

Basically, the bases provide a starting point. We make our own costumes, effects, etc., to create our own characters.

The community at large is very grateful to the artists who created and released the base skins.  :)

Hiroki8

oh ok thanks... I was afraid to share what I made because I thought it might be stealing (or is it kitbashing? not very familiar with the term) since I didn't actually make the base myself

Carravaggio

If everyone had to make their own base before they skinned i think there would only be about eight skinners ever :D

GogglesPizanno

There was also base skins made by trainwreck which included clothing "shapes" already pre-mapped out so you could isolate say the shirt area or a glove area really easily.

I found that taking all the base skins and creating a single photoshop/paintshop/gimp file with them all as individual layers made trying stuff out faster and easier, especially for switching out different bases.

UnfluffyBunny

Quote from: Carravaggio on November 06, 2007, 06:07:35 PM
If everyone had to make their own base before they skinned i think there would only be about eight skinners ever :D

I can think of 15 off the top of my head  :wacko:

C6
gryphon
paradox
figurefan
kommando
zuludelta
Valandar
aly cat
stragefate
darkjared
zed
ewzzy (never released his final base skin tho)
googleplex
qwazy
myself

the_ultimate_evil

i did a male_suit

*crawls back into the shadow*

Figure Fan

Wow, someone remembered my base skin..

Haha! I need to skin again..

Tomato

I did a few, but they're just designed for my personal use. I tend to do most of my muscle definition with highlights anyway, so all they are is just a bunch of blurry grey blobs where muscles might be.

UE, speaking of your male-suit... where is it actually? I was looking for it awhile back (I was looking at several suit references for my Sylar) but I couldn't find it.

FF... he's not the only one, I used your base several times before I made my own.

Hiroki8

one more question about this..if you used a part of a skin somebody else made is that stealing?..like using one of the patterns in one costume (like arrows or something) and adding it to another..  :unsure:

Podmark

Quote from: Hiroki8 on December 10, 2007, 06:10:28 PM
one more question about this..if you used a part of a skin somebody else made is that stealing?..like using one of the patterns in one costume (like arrows or something) and adding it to another..  :unsure:

Assuming I'm reading you right that would be the definition of kitbashing, and not allowed without permission.

Hiroki8

oh ok..even if you make the pattern yourself based on it?

GGiant

I think if you used you just didn't tamper with anybody's skins it isn't kitbashing.

Hiroki8

so kitbashing is modifying someone else's skins and claiming them as your own? but taking part of one skin to put on a totally different skin is not? :mellow:

GGiant

Quote from: Hiroki8 on December 11, 2007, 04:47:12 AM
so kitbashing is modifying someone else's skins and claiming them as your own? but taking part of one skin to put on a totally different skin is not? :mellow:
taking part means copy pasting right, so another way to tamper skins.

UnfluffyBunny

if you take -any- part of anyone elses TGA and put it on another TGA it's kitbashing.
even if for example, I took a green arrow skin, and wanted to move it to another mesh, if I arranged the extras from the skin to fit the wireframe of the new mesh, that's still kitbashing.

the ONLY exception to this rule is base skins, unless explicit permission is given, IE. Valandar has commented previously that the standard skins for his unusual meshes, for example his transformers, may be used as base skins

Podmark

Quote from: Hiroki8 on December 11, 2007, 02:51:09 AM
oh ok..even if you make the pattern yourself based on it?

Ok if I'm following you here, you mean using someone else's work as reference for a design that you yourself create without actually using part of another's skin. I've never seen anyone complain about this, but it might be best to ask about it. I've done it before because it saves time figuring out mapping.

Tomato

I think it depends on the situation... For instance, when I did my Ultimate spider-man skin, I looked at the webbing from other spidey skins just to give me a rough idea on how I wanted to place mine (it had more to do with where to cross seems, but I ended up doing that on my own) but I didn't duplicate or trace anything so I don't really consider it kittbashing.

I would say duplicating an exact shape (eithor by selecting that area or tracing it) falls under kittbashing, but using it as a guideline just depends on how you set it up.

UnkoMan

Tomato (and anyone)... Are you still looking for TUE's base skin? I'm pretty sure I still have it, although I ended up just making my own suit base. I never released that though (but once I skin that thing for you, you'll have it mostly anyhow).

EDIT:
Turns out I totally lost this! Oh no!

GGiant

BTW, Is using a base skin to make a base skin legal?

AfghanAnt

Quote from: GGiant on December 26, 2007, 11:12:04 PM
BTW, Is using a base skin to make a base skin legal?

Though it seems like a grey area, it really isn't different from creating a skin and allowing others to kitbash the skin. So I would go with yes as long as you credited the original skinner as well.