**UPDATE 1/26/08**
Mappack 2.0 is released:

http://freedomreborn.net/archive/index.php?topic=45970.0

---------------------------

**UPDATE 9/5/07**
The first Beta is released:

http://freedomreborn.net/archive/index.php?topic=44168.msg611791#msg611791

---------------------------

So I'm throwing this out there for feedback...
I know there is interest, and Im not commiting myself to anything until I work out some of the issues.

But Since I had done a lot of conversion work on maps and objects from my own "Play FF1 in FFvTR" before Alex took up the mantle (and freed me to get caught up on my stargate DVD's), it seemed like a waste for some of that work to go to waste (especially the infamous "Enterprise Map") so I was contemplating putting together an "enhanced" distribution of FFX3.2 with the maps and objects from FF1 set up and ready to use. Unlike Alex's FF1 mod this would be pretty stripped down with just maps and objects from FF1...nothing else, no sounds, missions, FX, characters etc....

So From the community at large, I am soliciting some feedback on a couple of things

1. My plan was to do it as a standalone mod. Basically an FFX3.2 based mod with new maps and objects. This seemed to me to be the method least likely to mess up installs or get things confused. Anyone have other thoughts on a better way to do it?

2. Would you want the standard generic EZScript markers included, or do people prefer to add them themselves. This would probably increase the time it would take to get it done.

3. Is this is a ridiculously dumb idea when all this stuff is being released with the FF1 mod anyway...Should I just go back to watching my Stargate DVD's?

Clowns Welcome...
Thank you, Drive through....

Epimethee

I think you should give away these Stargate DVDs – you've got important work to do, young man! ;)

1. Seems like the best way to go. In fact, speaking only for myself, but maybe this could become part of the default FFX distro?

2. Ideally, it would include markers; the goal of EZScript, after all, is to make modding much simpler. But then again, you have to feel like doing it... better to see a release without markers than no release.

3. What, you're speaking as if ridiculously dumb ideas were something pejorative, by Jove! Personally, I couldn't live without them... Stargate DVDs, though, these you can live without.

Lunarman

Hmm, if your talking about FF1 in FFVTTR then you shouldn't need to do any new scripting. All the original python script should just transfer in without any changes, so long as you didn't delete markers or characters on the maps.

GogglesPizanno

QuoteHmm, if your talking about FF1 in FFVTTR...

Initially I was (and you are about 99% right about the scripting), but since Alex beat me to the punch on that one, I passed off what knowledge I had gleaned to him and he is carrying that torch (hence leaving me time for my Stargate DVD's)

What I am talking about is basically adding the FF1 maps and objects to FFX so that people can play Rumble Room, EZScript etc... with the FF1 maps as well as have access to the FF1 objects for map editing, but without all the other stuff that the full FF1 conversion would have.

QuoteI think you should give away these Stargate DVDs – you've got important work to do, young man!

But..... I haven't had the sci fi channel in years and thanks to Netflix, I am now close to finally finishing off the series... even though all the episodes are pretty much the same... Im somehow enthralled by it all. It's a sickness, I know.

tommyboy

Bear in mind I didnt convert ALL the FF objects in Alex's FF for FFV3R mod, if you (or anyone else did) then releasing them could only help.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteIm somehow enthralled by it all. It's a sickness, I know.

That is blasmphemy!  Hallowed are the Ori!

(Yeah, I'm a geeky Stargate fan too)

back to the main topic:

Quote1. Seems like the best way to go. In fact, speaking only for myself, but maybe this could become part of the default FFX distro?

I would rather it not, just because of the extra install size.  No reason it couldn't be an official add-on, however.  In fact, feel free to set it up as an addon to FFX rather than a separate mod.

detourne_me

yes!  plaese as an extra add-on for the standard FFX!
you know what would also be hella cool.  (but would be a LOT of work)  build it as "Old Patriot City" and add it onto Joe Mama's and M25's Patriot World,
i.e. build all the maps into a freeroam campaign map that extends behind the Freedom Force Hall of justice map from Patriot world.
but yeah, an insane amount of work.

I'd be soo happy with the whole thing being turned into rumble room maps!   (especially if you got Dana (Cmdr. Koening) on board for converting his maps too.)

BentonGrey

Yes!  This is a great idea!  I've been going around this half heartedly so that I could have more map making options, so I'm afraid I've created rather a mess of things on my end.  I don't really have the time to do a good job of it, and this would be a great boost as part of FFX!  Since once I finish adding characters in I'm going to have to start working on the 'comics' and maps are the biggest part of that, this will be a huge help!

catwhowalksbyhimself

Oh, and I forgot to mention that if you are willing to make it an official FFX add-on, then you can host it at the FFX website.  Let me know if you're interested, and I'll pm you the FTP access information.

HumanTon

Sounds like a fine idea, Goggles!

Feel free to include my FF1-to-Rumble-Room conversions as well as my original FF1 maps made with 100% FF1 objects (see the link in my sig.) It'd be a kick to see people playing on the Midtown Mayhem or Neighborhood maps in FFVTR....

Boalt92

Quotei downloaded alex's beta mission1 of FF and played it yesterday and found there was some map problems with it

Do you mean the discoloration (is that a word) on some of the textures?

I reduced some of this on another map by alpha'ing some of the _crud files.  I can't remember exactly how I did it, and I know it wasn't foolproof, but it did smooth some rough spots.

I'll try to take another look and see if I can figure it out....in the meantime, is this just a compatibility issue or is there a better solution?

B92

Cyjack

Is there an official testing thread for Alex's "FF in FFvTTR" mod?  My inability to install the original game led me to downloading and checking this out...been really impressed on how much seems to work so far.  However, I am stuck at the point in the second mission where Mentor is supposed to interrogate the thug.  The red exclamation point prompt is up, and minute man gets the interrogate option, but Mentor does not.

Boalt92

Quotei just notice stuff like this by habit because i'm an art director in real life.

That's why I'm not an art director....I didn't even notice half that stuff until you mentioned it!  :P

Cy --
I think this is the official thread:

http://freedomreborn.net/archive/index.php?topic=43881.0

and, if I'm not mistaken, this is a known bug and as far as you can get for now.

B92

GogglesPizanno

QuoteI didn't even notice half that stuff until you mentioned it!

And thanks to it being pointed out... you will never again NOT see it  :D

Previsionary

yes, that's the official thread and technically, you can go further than that scene as I and a few others have been able to.

Anyway, to get back on topic, a map pack would be a pretty cool idea.

GogglesPizanno

UPDATE:
I got sidelined this weekend due to house guests, but I have almost half the stock FF1 maps set up and working* ... My goal is to try and get through a few each night after work and have some kind of Beta-esque test release in the next week or two assuming all goes well.

*they work for me. Actual mileage will vary once people start trying them out  ;)

GogglesPizanno

So I finished converting the last of the stock FF1 maps tonight (along with a couple of HumanTon's simpler maps since he gave permission to do so - a big thanks to him)

• The placement of spawn points and EZScript markers are bit haphazard (more about testing the maps functionality over subtleties of villain spawning)
  • There are a few issues remaining with some bounding boxes (Every time I think I got them all, something slips by)
  • Other little things.

But its about 98% done. All the maps Ive tested thus far in the rumble room load up and you can play them just fine (both regular battles and ezscript missions).

The templates for the FF1 buildings are a bit less in health than in FFvTR, as a result, the FF1 maps see a lot more destruction. I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing..  :)

I'm gonna look at a few more little changes and clean up, and then shoot for this weekend to get a "beta" version out for people to try and give me feedback.

BentonGrey

Awesome!  I'm really looking forward to this!

yell0w_lantern

These would be usable to make a campaign too, right?

GogglesPizanno

QuoteThese would be usable to make a campaign too, right?

Yep, they are just like any other maps.

Revenant

GogglesPizanno

So Question.

I realized that the Map Names for FF1 maps are hardly the most descriptive things (some downright cryptic).
Ive played with a few naming conventions, but Im not happy with any of them.

Would people prefer Descriptive names?
Names that Reference the original Level?
Name them after the various Members of the X-Men?
Call them all "Bob" and let the level you get be a mystery?

Thoughts?
Opinions?

Epimethee

Personally, I'd think naming them for their mission folder ought to be fine, e.g. "04c_winter_thepier".

Epimethee

Quote from: ips on August 30, 2007, 08:50:39 PM
i'd prefer something less cryptic... level 1 mission 2 may be turned into "L1M2 The Pier" or something that takes similar amount of brain power to recognize! =P
Strictly personally, I find this more cryptic than using the existing name; "04c_winter_thepier": Mission 4 (Nuclear Winter), part c (The Pier). Beside the existing name gives a reference in itself, if only by using FFEdit. YMMV.

BentonGrey

Yeah, I definitely want something that describes the level, but a combination of level and mission, as in the previous two options, would be good.  I could get behind either.

Boalt92

My .02:

add "FF1" to Epi's idea.  I.E. "FF1_04c_winter_thepier".  It's a bit longer, but keeps all the FF1 maps together in FFedit and in the Rumble Room.

B92

GogglesPizanno

OK, for now (this may change as everyone looks at them and goes "Thats dumb, what were you thinking??") the naming goes something like this:

FF02 - Warehouse - Tip Off A

So that all the FF1 maps are lumped with an FF prefix and mission number
There is a description of what the map is (ala Warehouse, Underground, Factory, Pans Lair etc...)
Then a reference to the Mission name itself.

Given the character limit, I had to get a little creative sometimes...
But I figure this gives the most complete kind of overview as to what it is.

yell0w_lantern

GogglesPizanno

So thanks to catwhowalksbyhimself for the web hosting, the first *BETA* release of the FF1 mappack for FFvTR is now available.
It includes all the maps from FF1 as well as a handful of maps done by HumanTon.
The .rar file contains the mod folder, a read me and a shortcut.

I'll work on getting some kind of actual pages up in the next day or two, but for now you can download the mod here:

http://gpwarehouse.freedomforceforever.com/ffx3_Mappack.rar

From my read me:

These are the converted maps from FF1 to be used in FFvTR
In order to test this "beta" version, it has been created as a standalone FFX3.2 based mod.
As a result, it should not screw up any game settings, or overwrite any existing data.

You will need to run the ffxedit2.exe to initialize you hero files for use in the mod. Any FFX customizations you have previously done will also need to be copied over from your standard FFX install to the mod -- though since its a Beta, not that big a deal, just wanna get feedback as to how the maps work.

To Install:

1. Extract the rar file into your FFvTR directory. There should now be a directory called "ffx3_Mappack." You can extract it to a different location and copy it over manually if you want to be extra cautious.

2. Run the FFX control center on the "ffx3_Mappack" folder to initialize the hero files
2b. (optional) Copy over any hero customizations you have done from your regular ffx3 directory

3. Use the included shortcut to start the game (if you have the game installed somewhere other than "C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich" you will need to edit it accordingly.)

Hopefully that should be it.

I'm all but certain there will be things that I missed, or things I thought were done, that weren't etc...
Let me know of any problems or issues and hopefully I can track them down.

Lunarman

wow, Excellent!

I'll be using these all the time, hooray :)

|