• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

dude no way, totally bogus

Started by the_ultimate_evil, July 14, 2007, 01:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_ultimate_evil

QuoteBill and Ted adapt to 2007
The 1980s cult classic is being revisited for a straight-to-DVD release. Will their innocence become a casualty?
By Jay A. Fernandez, Special to The Times
July 11, 2007

Original
Original
click to enlarge
Related Stories
-    Scriptland
Dude, did you hear Bill and Ted are climbing back into the time machine?

No way!

Yes way.

MGM is developing a straight-to-DVD revisiting of the late-'80s cult classic "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" for producer Frank Mancuso Jr. at 360 Pictures. Although their deal is still being worked out, writers Gabe Grifoni and Suzanne Francis ("Wieners") have already turned in an outline for an updated take on San Dimas' most excellent native sons.

(Insert air guitar trill here.)

But is there still an audience for Bill and Ted's pre-culture-of-irony straightforwardness and unshakable positivity in a world that has since given us "Wayne's World," "Dumb and Dumber," "Dude, Where's My Car?" and "South Park"? Or will the boys be Stiflerized for today's market?

Several attempts at a spinoff TV series in the early '90s, one animated and one live action, misread the boys' appeal — no matter what your memory tells you, they weren't actually stoners, surfers or Valley dudes — and sparked cries of betrayal from devoted fans who felt that the sensibility of the original films' writers, Ed Solomon ("Levity") and Chris Matheson ("Mr. Wrong"), had been corrupted.

While in UCLA's film school 20 years ago, Solomon and Matheson would rent a stage on Sunset Boulevard for $20 and crack each other up by improvising the two lovable doofuses. The two "Bill & Ted" films — the sequel was "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey" in 1991 — then became their first feature credits.

More than a decade later, they actually tried to get a third "Bill & Ted" feature made, with the idea of checking in with the guys as middle-aged men. Actors Keanu Reeves (Ted "Theodore" Logan) and Alex Winter (Bill S. Preston, Esq.), now both in their 40s, were reportedly game until Reeves' manager advised his client, by then a major movie star (although still on-screen climbing in and out of phone booths), against revisiting the material.

Solomon and Matheson, who have only recently re-teamed for the comedy "NowhereLand," now in pre-production at Paramount, were not asked to participate in the new film.

"We loved Bill and Ted," says Solomon. "They were created out of complete innocence. We had a lot of fun with them, and we wish them well."

Let's hope they retain that innocence. As the boys would say: Be excellent to each other.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-scriptland11jul11,0,3466786.story?coll=la-headlines-calendar

ahh come on seriously why :(

vamp

I getting sick of remakes. There never the same .
And you can't spell Dude dood :P

Protomorph

Ares_God_of_War

of all the things to release why this? The only thing that would make me watch this is if they got Reeves, Winter, and Carlin back in the movie which would never happen. I really dislike sequels and prequels that do not have the original actors unless there is a vast age difference of the character between the movies.

bredon7777

Not just no, HELL NO!

Grr.

This totally ruined my Potter high. :(

captainspud

RTTingle

Never been a big fan of the whole Bill & Ted thing...

... gotta say though, the Halloween shows of Bill & Ted at Universal CRACK ME UP!

YouTube'em for some seriously funstuff.

RTT