• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Anybody know where I can get a version of 3dMax???

Started by MACH 3, July 10, 2007, 08:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MACH 3

I'm gonna try out this "meshing" thing for a bit....anybody know where I can find 3dMax?

Thanks.

Indigo

You can get the legally free, toned down version of 3ds Max here

Valandar

BUT, at this time, GMax is not capable of meshing for Freedom Force.

Currently, as far as I know, the versions of 3DS max that can mesh for Freedom Force are not legally available anymore. Until the Nifskope project is complete, only versions 3, 4, and 5 can mesh for Freedom Force, and currently the legally available version is version 9.

MACH 3

Nifscope project? Are they making Nifscope and 3dMax as one, or at least compatible?

Podmark

Quote from: MACH 3 on July 10, 2007, 08:56:18 PM
Nifscope project? Are they making Nifscope and 3dMax as one, or at least compatible?

Part of the nifskope project is creating proper exporters for the different versions of Max including Gmax (which I'm really looking forward to). Someone with a little more meshing knowledge can give you more specific (and accurate) information.

Revenant

I am also seriously looking forward to a Gmax exporter for FF.

But at this time, is it not possible to make simple geometries in Gmax, and then send them to a partner who does have 3dMax to be properly exported?

yell0w_lantern

Why don't you try it free by ordering the book, 3DS Max 5 for Dummies. There's a shareware version on the cd.

MACH 3

Good idea, YL. BTW, totally LOVED the golden-age Batman you did. (Hands down, best idle animation.....EVER!)

GogglesPizanno

QuoteBut at this time, is it not possible to make simple geometries in Gmax, and then send them to a partner who does have 3dMax to be properly exported?

According to what has been said, the latest exporters do support Gmax, so you could do static objects and buildings and what not that way already (I haven't tried them personally so this is based on what Ive read).

The exporters for Blender have also worked for static objects for some time(though you have to overcome blenders interface and quirks)

The few objects and models that I have done, Ive just used Nifskope in conjunction some any 3D program that can export .obj files (Ive been using "Art of Illusion" for the modeling).

Podmark

I've been thinking mostly about trying to recreate some static objects, like perhaps a sword, that no existing meshes can really recreate for Nifskoping. I've never tried modelling before so I have no idea how difficult that would be. I think I'd like to learn how to do stuff like that.

GogglesPizanno

QuoteI've been thinking mostly about trying to recreate some static objects, like perhaps a sword, that no existing meshes can really recreate for Nifskoping

I started playing around for similar reasons. I wanted to try doing some new buildings and what not.
I am by no means a 3D guy at all, but after a bit of fiddling around, I am able to create some basic stuff that I am happy with, so I think its definitely worth pursuing if you have an interest.

I find UVMapping to be the biggest confusion when making a model, but I use this old freeware program called LithUnwrap that lets you unwrap and modify the mapping on an .obj file pretty easily.

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: Podmark on July 11, 2007, 08:08:30 PM
I've been thinking mostly about trying to recreate some static objects, like perhaps a sword, that no existing meshes can really recreate for Nifskoping. I've never tried modelling before so I have no idea how difficult that would be. I think I'd like to learn how to do stuff like that.
A demonstration that is by no means a great work of art (done for time efficiency):

Sword modelled in gmax: 6 minutes.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sword UVmapped in gmax: 30 seconds.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sword textured, exported, and NIFSkope-ready: 3 minutes.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Total meshing/texturing time: under 10 minutes.

My point?  One could crack the NIFSkoping possibilities wide open quickly and easily with these tools to supplement the extant body of legally NIFSkopable meshes.  In fact, I foresee that there would be less scavenging and grafting and more original content (created cost-free!) imported into character meshes via NIFSkope and gmax.

Aye, I still need to do the grand tutorial I promised.  The month of July is looking bleak, so August is looking better...:oops:

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and The Prat in the Hat

Podmark

wow, ow_tiobe_sb, very impressive. I'm really going to have to give this a try sometime soon. I've got a few characters I'd really like to do that have parts that can't be easily recreated using existing parts.

The only issue is whether Gmax will run on my busted old computer.

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: Podmark on July 11, 2007, 10:27:53 PM
The only issue is whether Gmax will run on my busted old computer.
Here are the system requirements listed on TurboSquid's gmax download site:

* [Windows® XP or] Windows® 2000 or Windows® 98
* Intel or AMD processor at 300 MHz or better
* 128MB RAM and 300MB swap space
* Graphics card supporting 1024 x 768 x 16 bit color
* OpenGL and Direct 3D/Direct X hardware acceleration
* Windows-compliant mouse

With NIFTools as your only plugin, gmax should probably work fairly well with a little more than these minimum system requirements.  Of course, gmax performance does vary depending on the level of detail (e.g. polygon count) that you bring to your meshes.  By way of comparison, on my system (Intel Pentium 4 3.01 GHz with 1 GB RAM and a 256 MB nVidia GeForce graphics card), I can run gmax (or 3ds max with plugins), Photoshop, and CTool or NIFSkope simultaneously.

I hope this helps.

ow_tiobe_sb

Podmark

Yeah i actually took a look at that last night, and it's nowhere near as bad as I assumed it would be. The download was much smaller too. For some reason I assumed a 3D modeler would be this huge powerful program, but seems I was wrong.

Hopefully I'll sit down one day soon and see what I can do.

the_ultimate_evil

N-Lightner

Could someone please help? I went to the link and d/led G-Max but, when I attempt to run it and get a link to a site to obtain a registration code and i think they want money. I was under the impression thee program was free.

ow_tiobe_sb

Your hunch is incorrect, N-Lightner.  Visit this link.  If you have not completed the free user registration, you will need to do so before proceeding.  Once you have done so, you may proceed to request a gmax Registered User Identifcation Code.  It should be e-mailed to you and will susquently be availalble to you on the website when you revisit this link and login in the future.  Copy the code and paste it into the authorization request when you start-up gmax.  There is no fee whatsoever for the use of gmax.  Good luck! :)

ow_tiobe_sb

GogglesPizanno

I had this issue too in that I was never actually sent an email.
But like ow_tiobe_sb said, once you've registered you can go back to that page to get the code online.

N-Lightner

All is well. An oversight was made on my part. Thanks for the help, comrade.

N

Podmark

I should probably post on the support forums but I'll ask here first.

I installed Gmax but when it first started it asked me to set the 3D drivers or something to that extent. It was a small dialog box with some radial boxes. I didn't know what to select so I just hit ok, I figured I could set it correctly later, but now the program won't start and says "Fatal Error, Interactive 3D Renderer initialization failed. Please check your device setting by using the -H command line option."

Any ideas. I'm not really sure what it means by the command line option.

tommyboy

Quote from: Podmark on July 16, 2007, 11:36:19 PM
I should probably post on the support forums but I'll ask here first.

I installed Gmax but when it first started it asked me to set the 3D drivers or something to that extent. It was a small dialog box with some radial boxes. I didn't know what to select so I just hit ok, I figured I could set it correctly later, but now the program won't start and says "Fatal Error, Interactive 3D Renderer initialization failed. Please check your device setting by using the -H command line option."

Any ideas. I'm not really sure what it means by the command line option.

Right click on the shortcut or the programme itself. A menu comes up, select "properties" (at the bottom) in which is a command line option (though it may be called "target" depending on your operating system).
This is standard stuff for getting FF Mods to run as well..take a look at some of the FF Mod desktop shortcuts

ow_tiobe_sb

CROSSPOST: I have posted a link to a simplistic gmax meshing tutorial here.

Enjoy!

ow_tiobe_sb

GogglesPizanno

QuoteI installed Gmax but when it first started it asked me to set the 3D drivers or something to that extent. It was a small dialog box with some radial boxes. I didn't know what to select so I just hit ok, I figured I could set it correctly later, but now the program won't start and says "Fatal Error, Interactive 3D Renderer initialization failed. Please check your device setting by using the -H command line option."

If you installed the Niftools Gmax Plugin, it also includes a special loader application called something like "nifgmax.exe" -- You need to run this in order for the application to load properly and not error out.

If you try and run Gmax with the normal shortcut or application icon after installing the nif plug-ins, it will give you an error. Im not sure if this is the error you are getting, but I know without running the modified exe, an error does pop up.

Podmark

Nope that wasn't the problem I was having, but thanks for letting me know.

Valandar

What you need to do is choose what display drivers Gmax will use for the active display.

Right now, the only way for you to do that is open up properties for the shortcut to Gmax, add a space and "-H" to the line showing the shortcut where the program executable is.

THIS time, when you run Gmax, DON'T just click "OK", choose a driver (either Direct X or Software Renderer would be best).

THEN open up the properties for the shortcut again, and remove the " -H"

ow_tiobe_sb

Would an uninstall-reinstall be in order?  I'm not positive that this method will fix yer problem, Podmark, but, knowing Windows, it might be worth giving it a go.  I hope you work out the kinks soon. :)

ow_tiobe_sb

Podmark

Thanks to Tommy and Valandar. I've gotten it working now. The options I had were OpenGL and Direct3D, I chose Direct 3D and the program now opens. I'm not that well versed in drivers so I thought I'd set the right one later, didn't realize I'd have to do the -H setting.

I doubt I'll be doing much of significance with Gmax anytime soon. Just want to give it a try, see what modelling is like.