• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Shazam's mod in development.

Started by Shazam, July 08, 2007, 02:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shazam

Hi all,

A while ago I posted pics of a mod that I was making. Now I can't find the thread, so I'm assuming it's lost.
I started making the mod last year, and I had alot of help from prem/prev (thanks prem).
Unfortunately the mod never got finished for a number of reasons, the main reason being, i just didn't have the time.
The other reason was lack of custom content. Since I'm from England, I wanted the story to be set in England and I wanted skins etc to reflect that. Syn very kindly made a punk mesh and skin that is used in the mod, but he had too many other commitments at the time to make any more.
There were other skins that people were going to make, Ally cat made a skin (where are you Ally?). I myself can skin, but it was too big a job as I'm not the best coder in the world, and prem will confirm I'm very slooooowww.

This mod is based in the NPI universe. Why? Well some may remember a board member named Voltimax. Well Voltimax is a member of NPI and he also happens to be me. I won't go into the reasons of a dual identity as many others have done this before sufice to say, he's my creation. I don't know whats happened to NPI, not sure if it's dead or just in a state of limbo.

Getting back to the point of this thread. Does anyone want to help with this mod?
What I'm looking for is some people to skin while I continue to finish the code. I may even be interested in putting some voice talent in it. Here are some pics:

The Aliens you see in the above pics, are the standard FF aliens. I wanted however to use different ones. I had thought of using the Kree mesh with different uniforms for different ranks. Would anyone be interested in skinning these?
Also I would like to use other minions aside from the basic FF thugs, these also would need to be skinned.

Well if anyone is interested, please let me know. It would be nice to have something to release to the community.

Premonitioner

I think you know where i stand on the mod issue, shaz. I would love if a new mod was released by a new coder, ya know. Unfortunately, I don't skin anymore so I can't help ya there...and even if I could, I wouldn't be able to because you've surpassed my skill level and I'd be too busy. :D

But, what I can do is try to keep you motivated and at least bump this thread a bit so people take notice. Custom avatar mods are so rarely made that yours would be a change in scenery...if ya catch my drift.

Cyber Burn

Probably not my place to put any input, but I'd like to see it finished.   Not that I really have the skill to do much, but I could at least keep the thread alive.

Arlecchino

Ok so what if there was a list of what skins still needed to be done and this became a community effort with one person picking up one of the skins. The work load for the skins gets spread out so its not a ton of work for one or two people and we all get to enjoy a new mod.
I have skinned a little here and there (just for myself) and I am not a great skinner by any stretch but I would be willing to take a shot at one if it helped the mod get done.

Shazam

Thanks for the replies (your money is in the post prem  :P)
First thing is first. I don't care who has a crack at skinning, anyone that wants ago can have ago. I don't care if the skins are not up to C6 level, thats not what this is about. I could probably do all the skinning myself, but it's too big a task for me.

As for a list of skins? Well, I need thugs/Henchmen, I've used the basic FF thugs, but it would be nice to have some new ones, prehaps on different meshes.
The main skins I need are alien skins. It was never my intention to use the FF aliens. I wanted to use something more humanoid than those, again It can be anything that a skinner with some imagination can conjuer up. Thus far I only have one custom villian that I made myself, so if anyone has others that they would like to use, that would be great.
As I said in the first post, Syn made a punk mesh for this mod, he also did a basic skin for it. I'll post a pic of it later, if anyone would like to make some alternate skins, that would be great.

If anyone is really interested then PM me and we can chat further.
Oh and prem, expect me to be picking at ya brain some more  ^_^

Arlecchino

Shazam, Id be willing to take a stab at the thug/henchmen skins. I will take a look around to see if I can find some diffrent meshes for thugs/henchmen, unless you have something in mind.
I'll send you a PM.
Anyone else up for this. It would be cool if this was a community effort.

Shazam

Carravaggio

You know i'm in for whatever you need, buddy. My time might be a bit limited at the moment (and for the foreseeable future) but if you need me, you got me! :)
Also with nifskope we could make a whole buncha variations on that thug mesh...

Alphanaut

I'd be interested in doing this actually! I could do the alien skins/hexes/skopes for you. Couple of questions though:

* How many ranks?
* Are they more melee or ranged attackers?

Actually any sort of back story would help.

Shazam

Thanks for the interest Alphanaut.
Ranks: As many as anyone wants to make really. There would need to be alien scientists also, I don't want to give too much of the story away, but the hero has been abducted and experimented on and the aliens want him back. Nuff said  ;)

Originally I had given Carravaggio a basic concept, I'll give it again. When I had the idea of using aliens in the story, i had been watching a re-run of Buck Rogers in the 25th century. On this episode there was a guy with red skin. I liked the idea of this, but to look more menacing, thats why I want them to be close to human, but obviously alien.

Alphanaut

Thanks for the guidelines. I'll get to work on that.
By the way, if you want any new thugs, I have a skope of Valandar's Male_knife_fighter which uses pulp_versatile parts.

The skin isn't mine, but I haven't altered it in any way.
EDIT: Actually, scratch that. Just remembered PV was made by Texas Jack.

Shazam

Yeah thats an appropiate mesh. Arlecchino has found a good mesh also, I'm not opposed to multiple meshes, in fact I'd welcome them.

Premonitioner

So, how's the mod going? I'd hate for this mod to fall by the wayside after all this interest was shown and nothing was backed up by it. Hopefully, everything is just being kept 'hush hush' and not just extremely quiet because all the interest suddenly disappeared.

Shazam

Slow prev, very slow. As for interest? Well thus far there isn't alot.

chuckles

Hey Shazam, I'll help. I can't do much, but I'm really good at it when I get started.

Shazam

Ahh Chuck!
Long time no see.
Bless you Chuck.

Cyber Burn

Not that I could do much, but I was wondering what you still needed as far as 'skopes/skins, and such?  I'm still trying to learn nifskope and various paint programs, but I do have .psp files from FLASH_22798 that I have permission to alter and use however I want.   Not that I'm the fastest person in the world, but I'd be willing to help with what I can.

Shazam

Cyber Burn, all help is welcome my friend. I don't care what level peeps are at with their skill in skinning, skoping etc. Hell I'm a total novice at modding, but I'm giving it a go, ask prev, I'm well slow  :lol:.

Thus far no one has submitted any skins. Some mesh possibilities have been put forward. Mainly what I'm after is some bad guys and aliens. Currently I'm usuing the FF aliens and FF bad guy's. It would be nice to have something different and maybe with a British feel, since thats where the story is based. I have skinned all the heroes and one bad guy, but more bad guy's would be welcome. I had an idea for aliens. I was watching an old 80's Buck Rogers re-run. There was a red skinned alien (guy painted red, lol), I thought of something similar only more menacing. I'd like the aliens to look as humanoid as possible. Carravaggio did make a WIP for one with some nice protruding veins on the face.

So once again I'll put it out to folk. Anyone that wants to give it a shot step forward. Full credits will be given to those that contribute all novice skinners welcome. Oh before I forget, hero files would be good too, I suck at those, lol.

Previsionary

Quote from: Shazam on August 07, 2007, 08:34:49 AM
....ask prev, I'm well slow  :lol:.

Sir, you are slow...when you compare yourself to me! *ego ego* :P

Cyber Burn

Quick question though, is this for  :ff: or  :ffvstr:?

Premonitioner

Quote from: Cyber Burn on August 07, 2007, 04:46:29 PM
Quick question though, is this for  :ff: or  :ffvstr:?

The mod is for FFVTTR.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quotebut I'm giving it a go, ask prev, I'm well slow

Just compare yourself to me then.  I make all the other modders look lightning fast.

UnkoMan

Did you ever get those alien skins?

If not, I am thinking of using the Black Jack mesh for soldiers and Charles Wilson for scientists.

chuckles

Well, I still have a bit of work to do on it.

This is on Ren's Parasite mesh.

Shazam

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on August 07, 2007, 05:05:02 PM

Just compare yourself to me then.  I make all the other modders look lightning fast.

Thats because you have so much on your plate, lol

Quote from: UnkoMan on August 07, 2007, 09:39:51 PM
Did you ever get those alien skins?

If not, I am thinking of using the Black Jack mesh for soldiers and Charles Wilson for scientists.

Well looks like Chuck is having a go at an alien skin, however I'd welcome some alien scientists Unko. Those meshes would be good as my comp suffers from mesh ghosting, so true FFVT3R meshes are good.

Quote from: chuckles on August 08, 2007, 12:07:10 AM
Well, I still have a bit of work to do on it.

This is on Ren's Parasite mesh.

Looking good Chuck.

Cyber Burn, just to confirm prev, yes it's for FFVT3R

UnkoMan

Alright. Blackjack forgotten, Wilson in go mode. That reminds me... I was suppose to be doing a human scientist for Benton, too...

Anyhow, I can take design ideas from Chuckles here. That weird little chin, and the head thing. Wait, do you want them able to fight? Maybe I should use Blitzkrieg, and then they'd have elongated heads, too.

Shazam

Unko: Yeah, the mission in which they appear, they do try to fight, lol

PreRaphaelite

Wow. This looks great Shazam. I didn't Know Shazam Modded.  :rolleyes:

Carravaggio

Quote from: PreRaphaelite on August 11, 2007, 06:02:01 AM
Wow. This looks great Shazam. I didn't Know Shazam Modded.  :rolleyes:

Quote from: Shazam on July 09, 2007, 10:56:37 AM
I could probably do all the skinning myself,

And i didn't know he skinned... :P sorry buddy had to do it. Blame Raffi, I do...but not just for this, for everything  :lol:

Good luck with the mod

Cyber Burn

This is a 'skope of valandar's male knife fighter mesh for a thug type character, currently I have five skin variations for it.  If you want it, let me know where to send it.  Also, what other character types do you want?  Unfortunately 'm still only working with male basic type skins, but I'll try what I can to help.