• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Spectacular Spider-man

Started by Previsionary, June 07, 2007, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMarvell

but Disney, like any other business, is all about making money (hence why the last Gargoyles set isn't being released). Therefore, doesn't it make more sense for Disney to release the more popular cartoons like Spider-Man and X-Men on DVD to make more money? Especially when they easily could have cashed in on both franchises movie releases?

It's not 100% clear if Disney owns the rights anymore or not, or if they owned 100% of either. But if they did, they're morons for missing out on an added profit boost from the movies.

crimsonquill

Today was the premiere of Specular Spider-Man on WBKids! at 10:00 AM... Two episodes aired: The Origin Of Vulture and The Origin Of Electro... I watched both with my wife and son. The animation was good but left me feeling that I was watching something on Nickelodeon then a state of the art superhero cartoon but the Spider-Man action scenes were animated well even with that style fighting against the high rate of movement. My son loved the show and definitly will be planning on watching more episodes while my wife was wondering what happened to the classic theme song for the opening.

I have to say that this show is definitly taking elements from all kinds of versions of Spider-Man and taking a new direction with it but still keeping him in high school struggling with social issues of being a hero at the same time. Flash makes his appearance with his jock and cheerleader friends (one of which looks like Kenny from Ultimate Spider-Man), Harry Osbourne is Peter's best friend at school, and Eddie Brock works as a lab assistant at ESU and knows Peter's family.

And the slightly new takes on Vulture and Electro are definitly amusing...

[spoiler]Vulture - Adrian Toomes is introduced an inventor who was working at Oscorp along with Norman but his plans for the flying technology he was developing were mysteriously stolen just before he is fired.  Tooms of course belives that Norman was responsible for it and decides to dust off one of his prototype suits to seek revenge. (Note: A liked they kept the simple design of his comic book costume but added some armor elements including boots which had claw-like grapplers on them so he could pick up things and people with them while still keeping his arms busy guiding his wings).

Electro - Maxwell Dillon worked as an electrician and was doing maintence in Doctor Conner's lab on a new experiment using a new source of power derived from Electric Eels. Maxwell has an accident that causes him to be caught in a short circuit between the generator and a chemical bath that the Eels are stored it. He ends up in the hospital overloaded with electrical power and finds himself forced to wear a containment suit to keep the electricity his body keeps absorbing in check. Being unable to control his power enough to live a normal life again he decides that he might as well use his newly found ability and take what he is owed. (Note: I actually love his new look since his containment suit has a unique look with those tubes coming from the front of the suit into what a assume is a storage/battery unit on his back. It has a mask (no mouth and only googles which his glowing eyes can be seen thru) and gloves which he can put on to to better hide his unusual appearance.) [/spoiler]

I know that I will definitly keep watching this show for the remaining 11 episodes on KidsWB! because while the animation is more simplistic the voice acting has definitly been interesting (especially Robert "Freddy" Englund as Vulture - that man can really chew on the scenery even while doing an animated character).

- CrimsonQuill

bredon7777

Wow, that was just...bad (Note, that was bad,as opposed to BAD, which would've been good)

Bad designs(Vulture was just so -so, but Electro was an abomination), bad animation, bad continuity (I really, really hate the fact that a huge chunk of the bad guys origins are now tied together), bad plotting (Spidey calls Aunt May DURING a fight? Seriously? :roll:) bad dialog, bad theme song..the list goes on and on.

I mean seriously, "The Batman" is a Timm level show, compared to this.

That said I'll probably see a few more episode cause I like to have the tv on in the background, but I'm not going out of my way to tape this unless it improves 400-500%.

Previsionary

Quote from: bredon7777 on March 08, 2008, 11:31:53 AM
Wow, that was just...bad (Note, that was bad,as opposed to BAD, which would've been good)

Bad designs(Vulture was just so -so, but Electro was an abomination), bad animation, bad continuity (I really, really hate the fact that a huge chunk of the bad guys origins are now tied together), bad plotting (Spidey calls Aunt May DURING a fight? Seriously? :roll:) bad dialog, bad theme song..the list goes on and on.

I mean seriously, "The Batman" is a Timm level show, compared to this.

That said I'll probably see a few more episode cause I like to have the tv on in the background, but I'm not going out of my way to tape this unless it improves 400-500%.

Bad continuity? It's only been 2 episodes...it can't have bad continuity yet. That's ridiculers. Anyway, I watched the two episodes today and it was ok, for what it's worth. There are certain things I definitely don't like, but I'll give it a chance to grow on me.

Things me no likey:

1. Theme song...seriously? Even worse, I could sort of imagine it as an "Invincible Ironman" song and I dont like Ironman.

2. Not big on the animation. The heads and facial features of some characters were jarring me out of the cartoon like nobody's business.

3. They changed a few characters around and introduced quite a few of them in 2 episodes. Not really a problem, I'll just need to adjust.

4. Harry seems to have a geekier/younger voice than Peter...I thought Harry was the popular, cool kid?

5. Gwen would make a nice Deb Whitman

6. Electro's design was...not very good. He also seemed to learn control over his powers fairly fast.
---------------

Speaking of Aunt May...I think I actually remember saying she reminded me of a hippie or free spirit. I'm not sure why, but it did. The phone thing isn't really bad plotting, it fits right in with something Peter would have to deal with if cell phones were around during his teenaged years. I believe it was even done (not with aunt may) during the MTV series. *shrugs* I wouldn't even be surprised if Peter just randomly revealed he didn't always wear underwear in costume just to make a BND reference. :P

BentonGrey

Man, I don't understand the hostile reactions.  I watched both episodes this morning, although I missed parts of both, and I was thoroughly entertained.  I would prefer to be watching the classic 90's Spidey, but this was far from bad.  I like the Vulture's redesign, at least he's till an OLD guy, unlike the aforementioned TAS.  Electro......yeah, I don't particularly care for the redesign, but for what it was, the design wasn't necessarily BAD (unlike most of The Batman's redesigns).  His story was told decently well, and I like that he's somewhat sympathetic.  That's how I like my villains, (and it gives them more depth) but before I really settle on what to think about him I want to see his next appearance.  I REALLY liked the Vulture's origin.  He's more interesting now, and I liked the angle with Pete not wanting Harry to lose his father.

I'll tell you what I LOVED though, and that's the inclusion of the Enforcers, classic Spidey villains, but I didn't care for the character-less costumes.  They weren't bad, but I would have enjoyed a LITTLE more of their original look to seep through, even if it was just in a little nod in each character.  Still, them showing up was a thrill for me.  I cheered when the name "Fancy Dan" was uttered.  Haha, so goofy, but they worked pretty well.

I could have done without the return to nerdy Harry (which is accurate to the comics somewhat) but it didn't bother me.  Gwen being a student with him?  Eh, I'd prefer they go ahead and play up the Betty Brant relationship instead, and use the cheerleader as what's her name from the original comics and a constant on/off gal pal of Pete's adding fuel to the fire with Flash Thompson (which they hinted at in the second episode).  I thought the plotting was pretty decent, and the cell phone bit made me laugh, because that is CLASSIC Spidey bad luck, just with new technology.  I thoroughly enjoyed the kid who did Spidey's voice, he did an excellent job.  I found his dialog well written and snappy, just like Spidey should be. 

The art was so-so.  It did the job, and while I'm not terribly fond of the lackluster faces, it portrayed the action decently well.  I thoroughly looking forward to this replacing The Batman.........although I'm still holding out hope for a Green Arrow, Green Lantern, or Aquaman spin-off. ^_^

Talavar

Yeah, I've only seen the first episode, but it was much better than _The_ Batman, particularly than _The_ Batman's first episode, which I think classified as a hate crime.  Sure, it's a new take on the Spider-man continuity, in that it's not the original comics, ultimate version or film setting, though there were elements from all three - but has any superhero cartoon been a note for note translation from the comic or film that spawned it?  And nothing was actively against what Spider-man is all about.  Gwen Stacy (who I was surprised they used in this way) basically got the same treatment as MJ did for Ultimate Spider-man, in that she's Peter's somewhat nerdy female friend, rather than purely a love interest.

I think some people are confusing animation with character designs.  I didn't love any of the character designs, but the animation was fluid and very smooth.  The person who voiced Peter was good, but some of the other dialogue & voice-acting definitely has room to improve.

So, overall I think the first episode was okay, but not great.  With a little improvement it could turn into a really nice Spider-man cartoon.  Here's hoping.

Glitch Girl

First impressions:

Lots and LOTS of groundwork laid for future conflicts & characters.  I suspect there will be ongoing continuity, let's see how well they adhere to it.

Some nice voice casting on Vulture and the unseen character I can only asume is Kingpin, plus a pretty solid cast overall.

Character style is a bit overly simplistic for my tastes.  Everything is very soft, and I wish it could have a few edges and more detail occasionally.  Movement is good though - no low frame rate jitters or weirdness.  Some nice directing also. 

Some interesting takes on the characters.  I like what they did with Vulture, though Electro didn't work for me quite as well (his motivation to start rampaging felt a little too forced)  I'm not sure about Eddie Brock yet, gonna have to wait and see how they develop him.  Don't like how they handled Harry and Gwen to a lesser degree. 

Writing was actually pretty decent so far, which is pretty good for the start of a series (usually the writing improves as the writers get more "into the groove")   

Overall, I like it.  It isn't perfect, and it could use a few tweaks here and there, but I quite enjoyed it and see a lot of potential.

Talavar

Glitch Girl reminded me: it was great to hear Keith David as the presumable Kingpin.  That man has an awesome voice!

Cardmaster

More character design pictures including Sandman, Shocker, Green Goblin and Venom:
Click me!

BentonGrey

Most of the other characters look down right accurate to the comics.  I wonder why they changed Electro, but none of the others (besides Vulture who's change was an unadulterated improvement).  Still, they all look good.

billdamn22

Quote from: Talavar on March 10, 2008, 10:20:08 AM
Glitch Girl reminded me: it was great to hear Keith David as the presumable Kingpin.  That man has an awesome voice!
I don't think he is Kingpin. Wasn't Big Man the leader of the Enforcers?

TheMarvell

I've only seen a couple clips of the show on YouTube. From what I saw, it seemed ok, for a kid's show that is. Spider-Man 90's TAS was technically for kids too, but there was no doubt it had some very adult themes and undertones beneath it, even from its first episode. This new one is definitely lacking that though. I like Vulture's new design as well, but I don't care for the art style. I don't understand why it seems like all the new American made cartoons these days want to look like Samurai Jack. And Electro looks like he's wearing some kind of wet suit...

like I said, looks good for kids. Maybe once it's developed its characters and stories more it'll be alot better.

thalaw2

I'm watching the first 2 epis. on youtube now and I think the show is cool.  Yes it's a kids show but I think i'm gonna watch it.  It's not bad at all.  I don't like all of the character designs but it's not too distracting for me and I think the voice acting is good.  I also like the fight scenes.  I'm liking the way they are linking characters together.  I give it a thumbs way up.

Shazam

I disliked the cartoons that came out of the 90's and beyond.
I'm an 80's guy and loved the cartoons from that era.

spider-man
The Incredible Hulk
spider-man and his amazing friends
The X-men one off - Pryde of the X-men.
Plasticman
Ulysses 31
He-man and the masters of the Universe
The original Transformers
Superman (1988)

I'm sure there are those that will say they're rubbish or worse, but I have fond memories.

Ahhh the 80's :wub: Wish I was back there.

GogglesPizanno

I thought the show was just sorta meh....
I liked that they highlighted the joking sorta fun-loving cockiness of Peter when fighting the villains.
However, the constant inner monologuing explaining what was going on was driving me nuts.

The character designs were pretty blah, and the eyes... they bothered me.
I can see how this would be a good cartoon for the younger set, but as been mentioned above, its not one I'm gonna go out of my way to watch. Just didn't really grab me.

MJB

Spectacular Spider-Man from the perspective of an 8 year old:

I had the pleasure of watching the premier episodes of the latest Spider-Man animated series with my son.

The theme song literally had my son wiggling his head and humming it after word. He loved the song and the visuals. He was picking out characters from the opening and guessing what they were doing.

Once the show started my son was loving every minute of it. He picked up on all the little cameos and pointed out who they were going to be later in the series.

When Spidey did his swinging though the city shtick MJB_jr thought it looked cool. When the Vulture showed himself in full costume my son was confused, he didn't understand why he wasn't green and had a lot of red in his suit. The character stayed true to the comics in actions but failed in the looks.

Next episode, my son LOVED the new Electro. Hell, he was begging for a toy featuring that look seconds after the episode ended.

All in all I think you all are looking at this series in the wrong light. You are all looking at it and judging it from your points of view. The real truth is that they rarely make a cartoon show for people in your age groups. The real people they aim for are the kids like my son. My son watched the toon and loved it. He told me that he will try his best to watch the series every Saturday morning. From my view that is a win.

-MJB

Talavar

So a few more episodes have aired, and I've got to say that I'm really starting to like this show.  They're building up their own little continuity, largely a mix of Ultimate & regular Spidey.  I particularly liked Peter running out to fight the Lizard made him look like a jerk to his friends, and the Aunt May trying to set him up with Mrs. Watson's daughter, who has a "nice personality."  The animation has remained fluid and energetic (particularly the Sandman episode), though I still don't love the character designs.  I think it's shaping up to be a winner.

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Glitch Girl on March 10, 2008, 08:28:22 AM
First impressions:

Lots and LOTS of groundwork laid for future conflicts & characters.  I suspect there will be ongoing continuity, let's see how well they adhere to it.

Havn't seen it yet, but with Greg Weisman involved in the making of this show, I think it will play around with continuity a lot. That was one of the really great things about Gargoyles.

detourne_me

Has anybody been watching this?
I've seen the first five episodes and they just keep getting better,  I'd say storywise it's already leaps and bounds beyond what The Batman and Legion of Superheroes accomplished in their first seasons.
It's developed it own continuity, and has pretty much foreshadowed every event since the first episode (with a LOT more to come). It's kind of a treat seeing how the  new treatments of the characters that I already know so much about. 

crimsonquill

Yeah, I've been watching and enjoying the ride thus far... as much as I had reservations about the animation style.. it's really building up a momentum and sucking me into their storyline.

[spoiler]And I soooo didn't see Tombstone coming at all.. while I understand they needed a crime boss and Kingpin being unavailable since he was licensed as a package deal with Daredevil - it was a nice surprise.[/spoiler]

- CrimsonQuill

Talavar

I'm enjoying this show more and more as it progresses.  The Big Man being Tombstone surprised me, but I was a little sad that Keith David, who voiced Big Man in his first appearance on the show didn't reprise the role in the more recent episode.

docdelorean88

I find the animation style specificly cool. love doc ocs tentecles and how their all black and blue. but there are other things that are bugging me, no punn intended. The whole inter-related origins could bite them in the but later on in the plot. Other than that i think this series has a very good future. Did anyone catch the hidden goblin mask in Norman Osbornes office/study? i'm not sure wich episode it was on, but Norman is talking to somebody while walking down a staircase and once he stops at the bottom there is a wall behind him filled with trible masks, one very close to the bottom is a goblin mask. Sneaky producers, yes,I found your little easter egg! :D

Glitch Girl

I have to say I've been very impressed with it thus far.  At first I wasn't too keen on the character designs, but the animation is very VERY solid and so is the writing, building up some nice framework and continity.  And I gotta say I LOVE their take on Tombstone.  Wow.  Even the theme song is growing on me (though I have to admit, I never really minded it much in the first place)

Though having the Green Goblin have an Irish accent (at least that's how it sounded in the preview last saturday) makes me scratch my head a bit.  We'll see how the handle it in a real episode.

Quote from: Silver Shocker on April 01, 2008, 03:52:51 PM
Havn't seen it yet, but with Greg Weisman involved in the making of this show, I think it will play around with continuity a lot. That was one of the really great things about Gargoyles.
Didn't know he was involved in this.  I LOVED seasons 1-2 of Gargoyles, so if he puts that kind of effort into this...  well, that's something to look forward to.

docdelorean88

I would love to see them(at some point in the future) Show other marvel characters like the x-men/spider-man episodes, or the secret war episodes of the old fox kids animated series. Specificly the Fantastic Four, the designs would be so cool!

crimsonquill

Quote from: docdelorean88 on April 24, 2008, 05:10:00 PM
I would love to see them(at some point in the future) Show other marvel characters like the x-men/spider-man episodes, or the secret war episodes of the old fox kids animated series. Specificly the Fantastic Four, the designs would be so cool!

Not really possible I'm afraid.. Fox has locked the animated rights for the characters they own which is why Kingpin was not able to be used in the series to begin with. I'm pretty sure that the X-Men (even including Iceman) and Fantastic Four will probably rarely have cameos in this version of the spiderverse. Which would really suck because an "Amazing Friends" tribute or Johnny Storm hanging around the school for a few shows would be great. The writer of the show implied in a recent interview that he had to really beg Fox for Human Torch to even be considered appearing in a one episode cameo in the second season and Columbia/Fox needed that much time to work out the shared rights.

- CrimsonQuill

Previsionary

Quote from: crimsonquill on April 24, 2008, 06:18:51 PM
Quote from: docdelorean88 on April 24, 2008, 05:10:00 PM

Not really possible I'm afraid.. Fox has locked the animated rights for the characters they own which is why Kingpin was not able to be used in the series to begin with. I'm pretty sure that the X-Men (even including Iceman) and Fantastic Four will probably rarely have cameos in this version of the spiderverse. Which would really suck because an "Amazing Friends" tribute or Johnny Storm hanging around the school for a few shows would be great. The writer of the show implied in a recent interview that he had to really beg Fox for Human Torch to even be considered appearing in a one episode cameo in the second season and Columbia/Fox needed that much time to work out the shared rights.

- CrimsonQuill

which is odd since peter parker (note: not spider-man, just peter) appeared in fantastic four (2006) as a photographer that followed Johnny around.

crimsonquill

Quote from: Previsionary on April 24, 2008, 06:23:37 PM
which is odd since peter parker (note: not spider-man, just peter) appeared in fantastic four (2006) as a photographer that followed Johnny around.

Yeah, I can't explain the arrangement that series had since they had Hulk, Iron Man, Ant-Man, and Submariner all appear as well... either it has to do with Paramount/Marvel's new production deal or they had set the character appearance rights beforehand. *shrug*

- CrimsonQuill

docdelorean88

Well all of that legal mumbo jumbo sucks! I love crossover episodes, always have always will. Not sure why, just like the concept of interaction between  frequent apearences and guest stars.

docdelorean88

Saw the goblin episode! I am actually impressed. finally a goblin without a highpitched voice! And i love the glider!!!

crimsonquill

Quote from: docdelorean88 on April 28, 2008, 12:02:09 PM
Saw the goblin episode! I am actually impressed. finally a goblin without a highpitched voice! And i love the gider!!!

Yeah, I second that opinion... Green Goblin finally has a pretty simple costume and glider design that isn't a power rangers knock-off or looks like he stepped out of a Lord Of The Rings novel either. However someone said earlier that he had an Irish accent.. I didn't hear it but wouldn't surprise me that a redheaded family might have some Irish buried in them somewhere that might surface if an alternate personality took over.

- CrimsonQuill

|