• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

25 mm miniatures

Started by Tommy Troy, May 28, 2007, 01:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy Troy

Here's some of the mini's I've painted up, bravely defending my backyard from evildoers!  :lol:

It's been awhile, hope that y'all have been OK.  Any rumors about new FF-like games in the works?

Thunder

Welcome back Tommy!   It's been a while.

MJB

Nice painting guy.

Welcome back Tommy. It's been ages.

-MJB

GrizzlyBearTalon

Nice painting indeed, one question... does Thor have a mustache?

Welcome Back! *Click Here*

Glitch Girl

Hey Tommy, nice to see you're still doing the artsy thing.  :) Nice work on those paints. 

Figure Fan

Those are SO small. I could never paint like that on such a small figurine.

Nice work!

captainspud

Where are the figures from?

I used to collect Warhammer dudes, I was TERRIBLE at painting them. I have really shaky hands. I loved doing conversions (sculpting them to look different), but the painting part was always smudgy and gross.

Tommy Troy

Thanks, lads and lassie!  It's really great to type at you all again after so long.  I never did buy the 3rd Reich sequel because I sorta suspected that large chunks of the plot and character ideas had been ripped off from the ideas we were all batting around in Volt's Electric Freedom forums -  :huh: - especially that flying guy with the star insignia!  Oh, well.  We had a lot of fun.

I still do some 3D when the fit strikes me, and I skin a little for the WWII flight sim IL2/1946.  I learned a lot from y'all and I can almost use my tools now!

Spud, the figures are from 1985 or so - the Marvel ones were made by TSR and the DC fig was part of a set released by Grenadier about the same time.  The rest of the sets have been in my closet for the past twenty-odd years, but I swear I'll paint 'em all someday.  :unsure:  Or maybe I'll pass them on to Tater Tot - I'm getting pretty old, in the single-digits of years to retirement.   :(  I do hope that someone will make one more superhero game for us to skin and play before it's time to prearrange!   :o

Panther_Gunn

Oh yeah, I remember those mini's.  And the reason I didn't buy them back then was those horrible sculpts!  Ben looks like he just got done rolling a strike.  The Grenadier ones were marginally better, but still nowhere close to iconic.  Very nice paint job on less-than-inspiring models!  :thumbup:

yell0w_lantern

So you are THE Tommy Troy!

I'm still using some of your skins. The "Manhunter from Mars" skin is one I particularly like.
You should try FF vs the 3rd Reich it's only 5 or 10 dollars and with Freedom Force X 3 it's a new experience.

psychopanda

Nice to hear from you TT. :)

I agree with PG, those miniatures looked rather bad sculpt-wise but in the hands of a talented painter like yourself. They can come out looking very cool.

Have you ever tried painting the Villains & Vigilantes rpg minis? They were so small, and hard to make out the details.

Tommy Troy

Yep, they are pretty bad sculpts but I thought I'd better buy 'em while they were available, and this selection turned out better than I expected they would.  A few of the figures from those sets have been painted but banished to the "failure" bin - :huh:- I won't ever use or display them but I don't have the heart to throw them away.  I haven't seen the "Villains and Vigilantes" figs but I'll check the web and take a look.  Thanks for the compliments on the painting - really, everyone here is so talented that it means a lot to me.

@ YL - Yow!  Someone still using my skins!   :thumbup: I bet you like the Silver Age style as much as I do.  I thought that the Manhunter from Mars and Dick Sprang-style Batman looked pretty good in game.  :)

Revenant

Hiya Tommy Troy, I used to paint miniatures for years growing up, and i know how tiny the little buggers are..

:thumbup:

Your precision is astounding!  I like the highlight on The Thing's texture, nice gloss to it, too.  Spider-Man just... boggles my mind, the texture must have taken such a steady hand.  The colors, esp. vivid reds and blues are so bright and look just like the comics.  Nice Work!

yell0w_lantern

Quote from: Tommy Troy on May 30, 2007, 04:43:15 PM
@ YL - Yow!  Someone still using my skins!   :thumbup: I bet you like the Silver Age style as much as I do.  I thought that the Manhunter from Mars and Dick Sprang-style Batman looked pretty good in game.  :)
I do like the Silver Age quite a bit. Check out my Batman mesh at the website below for proof.  :thumbup:
http://www.freedom-asylum.co.uk/

And speaking of Batman, you don't happen to have a copy of your Batman anywhere? I lost a lot of stuff in a hard drive crash a few years ago.

Cheers!

Tommy Troy

Great mesh - I need to reinstall the game so I can watch it in action!

I do still have the Sprang Batman tga's - let me know by PM where to send it.  :)