• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Alpha question.

Started by UnkoMan, May 20, 2007, 08:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnkoMan

Here's the thing. I am going to be doing some female civilian skins for a project. I'd like to keep them all on one mesh, but I'd also like them to have different hairstyles and whatnot. I believe Rev and detourne_me did the sort of thing I am looking to do with their Wonder Woman, if people recall that.

Basically I am thinking; if I take a bunch of hairstyles, put them on one mesh and set them to be all different skin textures, then alpha enable them, will this allow me to have one mesh with multiple hairstyles that can show up, based purely on the skins.

Also... heh, I am actually unsure about how to alpha enable, so if anybody can tell me or point me to a tutorial...

Thanks for looking.

Tomato

Meh, given the poularity of nifskope and the fact that alphas do not work on certain people's computers *points at self* I'd just turn them off rather then having them all aphaed. Worst case, just put a link in the FAQ so anyone needing help can just post in the request board.

However, if you're dead set on alphas... It seems like I saw a tutorial on here, but if nothing else I'll type a quick one up for you.

UnkoMan

The reason is, as a civilian skin, this allows for the civilian to be set to one single mesh, with the skin set to random. That's the reason I am trying to do it. So if it doesn't work, I'll just end up giving them all the same hairstyle. I wouldn't want to be using multiple meshes.

White Knight

First make sure that the object's texture is set up with an alpha channel.  Then, in NifSkope, open the object that you want add the Alpha property to.  Right click on NiTriShape, then Node, then Attach Property, then NiAlphaProperty.  A NiAlphaProperty will appear under NiTriShape.  Right click on NiAlphaProperty, then Flags.  In the box that opens make sure;

Enable Blending is checked
Source Blend Mode=Src Alpha
Destination Blend Mode=Inv Src Alpha
Enable Testing is checked
Alpha Test Function=Greater
Alpha Test Threshold=125
Sort Triangles is not checked

(other values will work, this is what I've been using)

Save the mesh, and that should be it.  Hope this helps.

UnkoMan

Thank you very much. I will give this a shot soon.