• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Incredible Hulk

Started by Xorn, May 10, 2007, 10:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

steamteck

Saw it. Loved it. Good hard hitting tight story and great action. All the actors did great jobs. Lots of little great touches also.

TheMarvell

I saw the film and liked it as well. Highly entertaining, and I loved all the nods. Better than the first one? Even as a fan of the first one, yeah, I'd say so. Hulk really is more about the action, which this version had plenty, but I still appreciate the 2003 version for what it is and that it bucked the trend of summer action movies by actually making it more intelligent. In terms of overall reception though, at rotten tomatoes, this version is only doing about 3% better, but I think the general public is enjoying this version more.

But in both cases, I didn't care for the endings. This movie's ending would have been perfect after the Banner yoga scene. I did NOT like the Robert Downey Jr. scene tacked on. That really did feel like an after-the-credits bonus scene, not a way to end the actual movie.

the only real complaint besides the tacked on cameo ending though is the special effects. A lot of times, it looked like a really good video game FMV cut scene. The 2003 version I thought had better visuals, but only slightly.

with all that said, this is easily one of the better movies I've seen this summer. I didn't walk out of the theater feeling frustrated or disappointed like I did with Indiana Jones 4, The Happening, and Narnia. Out of the summer movie season so far, Iron Man and Hulk are easily the best films to come out.

...and there's 70 minutes of extra footage?! good LORD that's a lot to cut! why the hell did they cut out so much?! I heard Edward Norton isn't doing anything to promote the movie because of this too.

stumpy

Saw it. Liked it. I enjoyed the bone-tossing: the Bill Bixby scene, the Lou F. cameo, the TV Hulk "music to thumb a ride by" music, and even the use of Danny from The Score as Stanley.

Oh, and the "You won't like me when I'm hungry!" scene was hilarious.  :lol:

As someone who essentially liked the 2003 movie but who thinks it was not cerebral, just poorly paced (and those aren't the same thing), I thought this was much better.

I don't have much new to add, besides maybe
[spoiler]If Edward Norton is refusing to promote the movie because of the cut footage, that's very unprofessional. I could see if it the lost scenes really ruined the movie and turned something good into something he was ashamed of. But, the movie that hit the theaters was quite good and people who want to see the lost footage will get to see it on the DVD's anyway. So, if he is being annoying, I thinks he needs to accept that the movie was already two hours long and deal with it.

BTW, I liked his acting. And, I liked Liv Tyler as Betty Ross. The latter was a little odd for me because, while she is very pretty, I haven't really been able to buy her as a love interest since Armageddon.

I know they were trying to get the whole "potential Hulk cure" scene in there (which went basically nowhere), but it struck me as odd that the government could get a whole extraction team down to Brazil in seemingly no time flat, but they let all sorts of shenanigans go on at Sterns' lab before they try and capture Banner. I didn't buy the way that was set up.

FWIW, I can buy that Stark would approach Gen. Scott in recruiting the Hulk for the Avengers. What I can't buy is that, given what's been seen of the Hulk by this point, anyone would want him on the team.[/spoiler]

House Quake

Saw it.  Liked it.  Saw it again.  Big improvement from the first movie... which disappointed me to no end.
[spoiler]
One tidbit I haven't seen anyone mention was the set-up for the sequels big baddy... The Leader.  He's got a lot of replicated gamma irradiated blood to create a host of gamma induced lackies.  Also in the opening sequence... Rick Jones was listed as one of his known associates.  I wonder if any scenes with him ended up in the 70 minutes cut? [/spoiler]

JeyNyce

I hope they don't put Rick in the movie.  It's better to have Banner by himself for now.

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: stumpy on June 18, 2008, 12:08:09 AM
[spoiler]
FWIW, I can buy that Stark would approach Gen. Scott in recruiting the Hulk for the Avengers. What I can't buy is that, given what's been seen of the Hulk by this point, anyone would want him on the team.[/spoiler]

My take on this scene is that
[spoiler]Project Avenger's first objective will be to track down and take down The Hulk, who will subsequently (and perhaps out of necessity if that film's villain proves to be, e.g., Ultron or another evil powerhouse) join the team.  I did not get the sense that Stark wanted to recruit The Hulk but that he was informing Gen. Ross that Project Avenger is going forward and that it may prove more effective at apprehending Banner/The Hulk than the revived Super Soldier programme was.[/spoiler]

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Fop o' th' Morning

BlueBard

That could be, OTS.  I think it makes more sense than if Banner was directly approached about joining the Avengers.

Hulk has both been a part of the Avengers and has also fought them, so it could go either way (or both!).

My take on the final scene with Banner:

[spoiler]The director said they left that scene ambiguous on purpose, so that future movies could take the character in any direction.  I'll accept that.

But from a fan's point of view, I'd say that Banner wanted to know that he could induce the Hulk on purpose in case Abomination or any other threat needed to be dealt with.  In some of the earlier comics material he did just that, before the whole split-personality thing really kicked in.

There are at least a couple of threats that Banner would have wanted to deal with: all of that Hulk blood that Stearns synthesized (not yet being aware of Stearns as The Leader) and Gen. Ross's Super Soldier program.  Banner wouldn't be able to destroy those threats, but that kind of destruction comes natural to the Hulk.

Also, he learned that Hulk is more than just a beast.  He rescued Betty on several occasions.  He could have (maybe) killed Abomination, but Betty was able to stop him.  He may have felt that by inducing Hulk on purpose he could avoid the more violent expression of his anger.  And he learned that Hulk could at least be "aimed" in the right direction. 

Some of the stuff Hulk does shows definite signs of Banner's intelligence peering though the rage.  Using armor plating to try to shield himself from the sonic cannons.  Jumping out of the waveform generated by the sonic cannons (I cheered at that one!).  Using a hand clap to extinguish the flames around the copter.  Hulk isn't going to win any Nobel prizes, but he's not entirely stupid.

Finally, it could be that his attempt to control the Hulk actually begins the process of fragmenting his personality, as that side of him resists being controlled or suppressed.[/spoiler]

One thing I will say... I really hope that they don't try to 'tame' the Hulk just to be able to put him in a movie with the Avengers.  That would really be a tragedy.

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: BlueBard on June 18, 2008, 08:43:07 AM
One thing I will say... I really hope that they don't try to 'tame' the Hulk just to be able to put him in a movie with the Avengers.  That would really be a tragedy.

I couldn't agree more.  'Twould be in the writer's/director's best interests to keep The Hulk on unsteady ground with The Avengers, for doing so would give the relationships between Earth's Mightiest Heroes more ambivalence and uncertainty.  I think we can expect some tension between Iron Man and The Hulk, and I would not be surprised if Captain America differs with Stark on a number of policies.  And, of course, Nick Fury is likely to ruffle some superpowered feathers as well in his Samuel L. Jackson incarnation.

ow_tiobe_sb

thanoson

Ok, saw it on tuesday. Cgi aside, I thought it was done really well. Though, Emil's sudden turn to bad guy was a bit much. My gf pointed out this to me. When they were in the front of the Appollo theater, she wanted to yell out, "It's showtime at the Apollo. Hulk Smash!" Then he did his jazz hands thing.

Ares_God_of_War

well I rented it and it did not have the deleted scene that was promised by the director so I was a little dissapointed

crimsonquill

Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on October 21, 2008, 09:33:08 PM
well I rented it and it did not have the deleted scene that was promised by the director so I was a little dissapointed

The alternate beginning and the chat between Banner and Doc Samson is on the Special Features disc of the 3 DVD set (feature film disc, bonus features disc, and digital PC version) apparently which most rental places or vending machines don't carry. It's the same thing with Indiana Jones 4 which is being pimped out everywhere as a single disc but also has a 2- Disc Special Edition available but only at some stores.

However, If you have Netflix then you can get the Special Features disc there.. as I checked just a few minutes before I saw your post.

- CQ

bat1987

So, has anyone seen the scene with Cap?

herodad1

i saw an article with arrows/pictures were he's suppose to be but still saw nothing.now ive got to re-watch ironman to see the shield on tony's work bench.

the_ultimate_evil

i'm holding off for the moment the uk only got a single or 2 disc set, so i'll import the 3 disc one after a while

JeyNyce

Quote from: bat1987 on October 22, 2008, 03:57:47 AM
So, has anyone seen the scene with Cap?

It's up on youtube.  You really don't see Cap himself, you'll see a shadow on the ground and part of his shield.  It's not really clear so I understand why it wasn't in the movie.

the_ultimate_evil

Uncle Yuan

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on October 23, 2008, 04:52:15 PM
Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on October 22, 2008, 02:04:24 PM
got a link to it

Don't know what happened to the link - but here's one I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSzhxllE0RM

Erm, thanks for the link, UY.  *chuckle*

ow_tiobe_sb

Ares_God_of_War

lol and I have been on my best behaviour not to post links like that in the forums, lol

qazwsx

If it's a rickroll, you're very original.

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: qazwsx on October 24, 2008, 04:36:52 PM
If it's a rickroll, you're very original.

[spoiler]Originality is so very, very not the point of rickrolling.[/spoiler]

|