• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Thrilling Adventure Tales- Chapter 1: Murder in New York!

Started by Alaric, May 07, 2007, 03:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Glitch Girl

OOG: What kind of music is Envoy playing on the harmonica and how would you describe his playing ability: awful, fair, good, great, or amazing?

Spam

OOG: He's playin' the blues, and I would say that he's good at it. No great or amazing, but fairly, pretty good like. He'll, of course, get better at it as we move along.  ^_^

Alaric

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 23, 2007, 11:44:33 AM
OOG: What kind of music is Envoy playing on the harmonica and how would you describe his playing ability: awful, fair, good, great, or amazing?

(OOG- Yes, he's playing blues... and pretty well, too.)

Glitch Girl

Lizzie

If I know the song that the harmonica player is playing, I'll hum along for a moment.  Reminds me of New Orleans a bit.  Nice town.

I glance over at Ashi.  "You doin' okay kiddo?"

Viking

Patch leans against a wall as he takes in the group.

"So - how did you all meet the good doctor?" he inquires.

"Me, I'm a private investigator.  I'd just started on a new case when I heard on the police band about Dr. Hertziwits being mugged.  My friends here are assisting with the investigation.  It's a weird case, and since the mugging wasn't all that far from the crime scene, I thought I'd follow up to see if the two were related.  Speaking of which..."

Patch pauses, frowning slightly.

"The report said that the good doctor was assisted by a 'scary-looking' fella.  From what I can see, nobody like that is here now.  Could one of you tell me if you know the guy, or where I might find him?"

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on May 23, 2007, 10:50:28 AM
Frank:

Quote from: BlueBard on May 23, 2007, 08:42:20 AM

"Oh-okay.  I luh-look," I reply.  I start sifting through trash, looking under things, moving trash cans, looking in dumpsters, all while trying to keep an eye on the other guy without being too obvious about it.  If I find anything unusual, I don't say anything... I just keep on searching as if nothing happened.  I'm hoping that if I find something I can come back for it later without this guy around.  I'm also hoping that if I keep quiet the guy will start talking and maybe let something slip that will clue me in on what's going on.

The guy in question doesn't seem to have any intention of talking to you- in fact, you get the distinct impression that he doesn't exactly enjoy your company, even as far away as he is. You're somewhat used to that, though...

Hmm. That's interesting... That trash can is knocked over, with a dent in it on this side... Something about it draws your attention.

Frank's Story:

I'll take a casual peek at it, if I can do so without being obvious.

Otherwise, I'll pass by as if I don't notice a thing.

Panther_Gunn

Ray's Story:

Quote from: Viking on May 23, 2007, 06:47:37 AMPatch raises his eyebrows in recognition of Dr. Ray Kostanzis' name.  "Pleased to meet you, Doc," he greets affably, offering his hand for a handshake.

"I was wondering if we'd meet one of these days.  I'd certainly welcome your perspective on recent events."

Ray's 'brow also raises a bit at the introductions, and seems to be a little surprised to be recognized.  "Pleased to meet you, Mr. Briarson.  Your name is known to me, as well.  I have a feeling we may have some common interests."

Leaving the pleasantries to that, he'll continue into the building, and back in to the examination room with his original "companions".

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 23, 2007, 06:19:27 AMI make my way across the waiting room to the examining area he indicated.  I don't go all the way in, but casually lean on the doorframe since I have a feeling this room is going to get crowded fast. 

If the exam room has a door (and not just a seperating curtain), he'll make a move to close it, preferably with Lizzie on the inside.  "Pardon me, miss.  I have a feeling we're going to want a little bit of privacy for this.  I don't know enough about our new company to feel comfortable enough to say what I have to say in front of them."

Assuming Lizzie joins us in the room, Ray will hand out the coffees to everyone, including Ashi (taking the expected raised eyebrows & verbal objections in stride).  Taking a quick sip of his, if just to steady his nerves, he addresses the group: "Unless I'm mistaken, our "young" friend here has quite a story to share with us.  Try to keep an open mind."  Looking in Ashi's direction, "Would you mind telling us about your unfortunate circumstances, ...." (looking slightly at a loss for the proper title of address) " Mr. Ashikyo?"

[EDIT: wow, *6* ninjas!  Sorry, Viking, I was under the impression we went into a completely different room.

correction:  only 1 ninja....I just didn't read the entire next page!  :doh:]

Glitch Girl

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on May 23, 2007, 01:26:10 PM

If the exam room has a door (and not just a seperating curtain), he'll make a move to close it, preferably with Lizzie on the inside.  "Pardon me, miss.  I have a feeling we're going to want a little bit of privacy for this.  I don't know enough about our new company to feel comfortable enough to say what I have to say in front of them."

"Why of course, sir,  Why we've known each other a whole, what... twenty minutes?" I joke, but I let him close the door.  One of my hands drifts casually toward the pocket with the revolver just in case though. 

QuoteRay will hand out the coffees to everyone, including Ashi (taking the expected raised eyebrows & verbal objections in stride).

I only sip the coffee since I already had some breakfast.  Strange fella, I think as I watch him bustle around the room.

QuoteTaking a quick sip of his, if just to steady his nerves, he addresses the group: "Unless I'm mistaken, our "young" friend here has quite a story to share with us.  Try to keep an open mind."  Looking in Ashi's direction, "Would you mind telling us about your unfortunate circumstances, ...." (looking slightly at a loss for the proper title of address) " Mr. Ashikyo?"

Mister?  This gets a raised eyebrow or two from Lizzie.  I say nothing for the moment.

Viking

(OOG: Whoops!  You're completely right, Panther_Gunn.  This time, I was the one who didn't read things closely enough.  Going back over previous posts, it's clear that Dr. Hertziwits ushered your group into a separate, private room.  Out of respect for Alaric's rules, I'm not going to edit my prior post.  Shouldn't be too much of an issue in any case - the characters can react as if Patch gave that little introduction before or after they entered Hertzy's office.)

kkhohoho

Quote from: Viking on May 23, 2007, 06:47:37 AM
Assuming Lizzie joins us in the room, Ray will hand out the coffees to everyone, including Ashi (taking the expected raised eyebrows & verbal objections in stride).  Taking a quick sip of his, if just to steady his nerves, he addresses the group: "Unless I'm mistaken, our "young" friend here has quite a story to share with us.  Try to keep an open mind."  Looking in Ashi's direction, "Would you mind telling us about your unfortunate circumstances, ...." (looking slightly at a loss for the proper title of address) " Mr. Ashikyo?"

Finally!

"Very well.  I may have told one of you before," I look at Lizzie for less then a second. "but I am not a child.  Mr.Haumoto is who I am, or my first name, Ashikyo.  I was born in Japan.  When I was a child, a demon attacked me.  I knew how to use a sword, so I eventually became a demon slayer.  Yes, demons, monsters, whatever you say they are, exist.  When I was 26 years old, a demon defeated me, and left me in the form of a child for as long as I live.  However, I did get these in return."  I hold out both hands, and create a sword in each.  "It has been 2 years since, but I have continued to be a demon slayer.  Are there any questions?"

Alaric

Frank:

Quote from: BlueBard on May 23, 2007, 01:22:12 PM
Hmm. That's interesting... That trash can is knocked over, with a dent in it on this side... Something about it draws your attention.

Frank's Story:

You realize it's not the trash can itself drawing your attention, so much as an area just beyond it. There's a circular area of the ground that's obviously cleaner than the surrounding area. It fades as it extends outward. In the center is some sort of small metal canister.

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on May 23, 2007, 03:16:15 PM
Frank:

Frank's Story:

You realize it's not the trash can itself drawing your attention, so much as an area just beyond it. There's a circular area of the ground that's obviously cleaner than the surrounding area. It fades as it extends outward. In the center is some sort of small metal canister.

OOC: it's not glowing, is it?

Frank's Story:

I look around to see if the other man is watching me.

If the coast is clear, I shuffle over in that direction, incidentally kicking trash and dirt ahead of me into the clean area.  If it seems possible to hide the canister under some trash or in a trash can without being spotted, I will do that.  My goal is to convince the other man that whatever he is looking for is not here.

If it does not seem possible to do that, I will pick up the canister and examine it casually.  (Assuming it isn't glowing :) )

catwhowalksbyhimself

OOC:  Please note that Hertzy did look at his watch again, and it's very important for his character that this be acknowledged, which it hasn't the last 3 times I tried to have him look at the Watch.

Spam

Envoy's Story

After playing my harmonica for awhile, I never really noticed where everyone else went off to. Turning to Steve, who is presumabely still in the same room I am, I ask...

"Where did everyone else go? It seems to be just the two of us... I wonder if we're missing out on any sort of important conversation."

Uncle Yuan

OOC: Yeah, at this point I'm also pretty confused about who is actually where and doing what.

catwhowalksbyhimself

OOC:  I thought it was pretty clear. . .

Anyway, Patch and his two friends are in the waiting room while Doc, Ashi, Ray, and Lizzie are going into the examining room to find out what the deal is with Ashi.

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: Spam on May 23, 2007, 05:24:51 PM
Envoy's Story

After playing my harmonica for awhile, I never really noticed where everyone else went off to. Turning to Steve, who is presumabely still in the same room I am, I ask...

"Where did everyone else go? It seems to be just the two of us... I wonder if we're missing out on any sort of important conversation."

"Just the three of us, kid."  He looks so odd I really have no idea old he is.  He acts kind of young, though  "I guess we just wait here until they get whatever's going on with that kid straightened out."

I turn to the PI.  "You seemed to recognize that man, Mr Briarson.  Do you know him?"

Glitch Girl

[ooc: holding off until I see Hertzy's reaction to the watch.  Also, do any of the rest of us see what's on the face?]

Alaric

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 23, 2007, 04:12:06 PM
OOC:  Please note that Hertzy did look at his watch again, and it's very important for his character that this be acknowledged, which it hasn't the last 3 times I tried to have him look at the Watch.

OOG: Except that in this case I did in fact tell you in a spoiler what hertzy saw on the watch. You must have missed it, it's near the bottom of the previous page.

Alaric

Frank:

Quote from: BlueBard on May 23, 2007, 04:03:09 PM
Quote from: Alaric on May 23, 2007, 03:16:15 PM
Frank:

Frank's Story:

OOC: it's not glowing, is it?

Frank's Story:

I look around to see if the other man is watching me.

If the coast is clear, I shuffle over in that direction, incidentally kicking trash and dirt ahead of me into the clean area.  If it seems possible to hide the canister under some trash or in a trash can without being spotted, I will do that.  My goal is to convince the other man that whatever he is looking for is not here.

If it does not seem possible to do that, I will pick up the canister and examine it casually.  (Assuming it isn't glowing :) )

No, it's not glowing. For that matter, you don't even know for sure that it's what he's looking for, although it does look very unusual.

It's hard to tell how much you can get away with without being spotted. On the one hand, he's not really looking at you at all. On the other hand, you're very big, and can't be sure that he won't see something especially unusual or obvious that you do out of the corner of his eye or something.

You could, however, dump out a nearby garbage can- there's one still standing next to the one that's toppled over- pretending to see if there's anything in it, but actually burrying the canister in garbage. In fact, that's what you do.

Spam

Envoy's Story

After just noticing Patch after Steve started to talk to him, I get up out of my chair to stretch, breathing a sigh of relief. I then start to sniff, thinking I'm smelling coffee.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteOOG: Except that in this case I did in fact tell you in a spoiler what hertzy saw on the watch. You must have missed it, it's near the bottom of the previous page.

OOC:  Sorry, I somehow missed an entire page.  My bad.

Hertzy's (reluctant) Story

Having been staring at the watch, Hertzy glances up from it to say to Ashi, "That sounds rather absurd son.  Still, I'd be willing to give you a thorough examination to see if I find any non-juvenile characteristic, but if what you're telling us is true, there may be no physical characteristics to draw on.

Very well, here's a mental test.  Adults usually answer once way and children another.  It's not conclusive of course, but is better than nothing.

You have a rope directly behind and above you which you need to pull.  You cannot reach behind, or take any step in any direction.  How do you reach the rope?"

While asking this question Hertzy will lay the Watch down on the examining table.  He will look for any signs of damage and malfuction, and will open it up if necessary, being careful not to actually break anything.

kkhohoho

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 24, 2007, 05:19:02 AM
QuoteOOG: Except that in this case I did in fact tell you in a spoiler what hertzy saw on the watch. You must have missed it, it's near the bottom of the previous page.

OOC:  Sorry, I somehow missed an entire page.  My bad.

Hertzy's (reluctant) Story

Having been staring at the watch, Hertzy glances up from it to say to Ashi, "That sounds rather absurd son.  Still, I'd be willing to give you a thorough examination to see if I find any non-juvenile characteristic, but if what you're telling us is true, there may be no physical characteristics to draw on.

Very well, here's a mental test.  Adults usually answer once way and children another.  It's not conclusive of course, but is better than nothing.

You have a rope directly behind and above you which you need to pull.  You cannot reach behind, or take any step in any direction.  How do you reach the rope?"

"If I cannot walk, then I jump backwards to reach the rope."

Viking

Patch
Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 23, 2007, 07:39:06 PM
I turn to the PI.  "You seemed to recognize that man, Mr Briarson.  Do you know him?"

"Just by name," Patch replies.  "Dr. Ray Kostanzis is some sort of parapsychologist or occult investigator, from what I've heard, and looks into his own share of pretty weird stuff.  When it comes to people who investigate unexplainable events, it's a pretty small world.  Word gets around."

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on May 23, 2007, 08:51:14 PM
Frank:
No, it's not glowing. For that matter, you don't even know for sure that it's what he's looking for, although it does look very unusual.

It's hard to tell how much you can get away with without being spotted. On the one hand, he's not really looking at you at all. On the other hand, you're very big, and can't be sure that he won't see something especially unusual or obvious that you do out of the corner of his eye or something.

You could, however, dump out a nearby garbage can- there's one still standing next to the one that's toppled over- pretending to see if there's anything in it, but actually burrying the canister in garbage. In fact, that's what you do.

Wonderful!  I continue to work my way towards the man, ignoring the canister for now.

When I get close to him, I stand up and scowl at him.  "N-not find it," I rumble.  "Yuh-you find an-anything?"  I growl.  I try to put a note of accusation in my tone, but it may not come across through my speech impediment.  All I can do is my best, though.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote"If I cannot walk, then I jump backwards to reach the rope."

"Correct.  Adults normally cannot figure this out however, as they add their own mental rules.

"This is not always true, so it doesn't prove that you are a child.  It does, however, make it more likely."

Turning to Ray, he adds, "What about you Ray?  You seem to know something, do you believe him?"

Glitch Girl

Lizzie
"Been kinda wondering that myself," I add, taking a sip of coffee. 

This isn't the first time I've seen the sword trick, but for the life of me I can't figure out how he's doing it.  It's got to be a trick of some kind.  Ain't no WAY he's pulling those things out of thin air, but either he's the best slight-of-hand magician I've ever seen or...

Nah, can't be.  That's just too...weird.

Alaric

Frank:

Quote from: BlueBard on May 24, 2007, 06:37:40 AM
Quote from: Alaric on May 23, 2007, 08:51:14 PM
Frank:

Wonderful!  I continue to work my way towards the man, ignoring the canister for now.

When I get close to him, I stand up and scowl at him.  "N-not find it," I rumble.  "Yuh-you find an-anything?"  I growl.  I try to put a note of accusation in my tone, but it may not come across through my speech impediment.  All I can do is my best, though.

He looks starteld for a moment, then gives you an urgent "Shhhhhhhh!" Then, he leans toward you and whispers, "The body was found practically around the corner! There are cops all over the place! You want to call them down on us?! Why didn't they just send me some regular help?" He rolls his eyes. "Now keep looking! We've got to find the thing!"

Alaric

Everyone else:

Just need some clarification: Who's in which room? Have to admit, I'm a little confused, too.

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on May 24, 2007, 09:22:27 AM
Frank:
He looks starteld for a moment, then gives you an urgent "Shhhhhhhh!" Then, he leans toward you and whispers, "The body was found practically around the corner! There are cops all over the place! You want to call them down on us?! Why didn't they just send me some regular help?" He rolls his eyes. "Now keep looking! We've got to find the thing!"

I can't help my eyes widening in surprise when he mentions a body, but I try to cover it by glaring at him.  I hope that my disfigurement will make it harder for him to read my expressions.  I think fast.

"I luh-look all-al-ready," I reply in low tones.  "N-not find.  Th-they n-not happy yuh-you not f-find," I add menacingly, narrowing my eyes.  "Th-they think h-how you can muh-miss the thing?  Sh-should be easy to f-find.  If th-thing n-not here, yuh-you better f-find other place f-fast."

Hopefully, I can bluff the guy into searching somewhere else.  Whatever that canister is, I've got to make sure he doesn't find it.  It's got to be what he's looking for, though I have no clue why.  If he'd found it on his end of the alley, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

|