• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Thrilling Adventure Tales- Chapter 1: Murder in New York!

Started by Alaric, May 07, 2007, 03:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on May 20, 2007, 05:29:02 PM
You're in a narrow alley. There's garbage underfoot, and old movie posters are pealing on the walls. Only one other person is around, a man walking quickly, purposefully, and yet cautiously, almost sneakily, ahead of you, going the same direction you are. your body guard instincts wtell you he's likely up to no good, but you know it's probably not your buisness.

Neither was the last time, I remind myself.  If something bad happens that I could have prevented, I couldn't live with myself.  I follow the man as far back and as quietly as I can until I can figure out what he's up to.

Glitch Girl

Lizzie's Story
Quote from: Alaric on May 20, 2007, 05:24:40 PMAs you're leaving, the man in the trenchcoat approaches you. He asks, "Hey, who was that guy? What's going on?"

Just now noticing the man, Ray responds: "Oh, just a friend, going through some rough times.  Sometimes the pressures of the everyday can make even the most calm person shout in frustration.  Nothing to be concerned about, I assure you."

He will then continue on his (our) way, content that the matter is sufficiently handled, not really wanting someone else to get dragged into all of this.
Lizzie follows closely, taking Hertzy's arm (I assume he's still holding onto Ashi) and witha quick "Shall we go?" start heading for the door.  I avoid eye contact with the guy in the coat, though I do keep watch on him in the Diner window reflection as long as I can. 

If we make it outside, I chance a quick glance back and see if he's following or not.

Viking

Patch's Story
Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 20, 2007, 06:07:17 PM
"Mugged?  I've heard New York is a dangerous town, but good grief!  I'm in town for just a few hours and already two!  First Dr. Holland, then this Dr. Hertziwitz. . . "

I turn to Patch, "You don't suppose this could be connected somehow?"

I give the newspaper guy a nod and a "thanks" as we head across the street to the office.

Patch shrugs in answer to Steve's question.  "I've got a feeling it might.  Nothing I can put my finger on, but I trust my hunches.  C'mon - let's go see if the good doctor is in."

With that, Patch crosses the street, trying the door to the doctor's office.  If it's not plainly open to the public, Patch will knock, ring a doorbell, or whatever standard means of announcing his presence is there.

[spoiler](OOC: Alaric, I've got a slight bit of confusion from your recent post that I wanted to clarify.  In my prior post, I indicated that Patch would buy a paper, and then ask for directions to the doctor's office.  In your response, you had the proprietor answer the question, trail off after a bit, and then ask about buying a paper.  Since I try to be attentive to details, I was just making sure that he wasn't asking me if I wanted to buy a paper, after I had just bought one.  If he was, that would indicate something odd going on.[/spoiler]

Alaric

Quote from: Viking on May 20, 2007, 08:50:41 PM[spoiler](OOC: Alaric, I've got a slight bit of confusion from your recent post that I wanted to clarify.  In my prior post, I indicated that Patch would buy a paper, and then ask for directions to the doctor's office.  In your response, you had the proprietor answer the question, trail off after a bit, and then ask about buying a paper.  Since I try to be attentive to details, I was just making sure that he wasn't asking me if I wanted to buy a paper, after I had just bought one.  If he was, that would indicate something odd going on.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]No, it just indicates that I was responding simultaneously to three different posts, after not having posted in the game for a while, and by the time I got to the end of what I was writing, I had forgotten that you had bought a paper... Need to keep my eyes open...  :doh:[/spoiler]

kkhohoho

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 20, 2007, 07:47:41 PM
Lizzie's Story
Quote from: Alaric on May 20, 2007, 05:24:40 PMAs you're leaving, the man in the trenchcoat approaches you. He asks, "Hey, who was that guy? What's going on?"

Just now noticing the man, Ray responds: "Oh, just a friend, going through some rough times.  Sometimes the pressures of the everyday can make even the most calm person shout in frustration.  Nothing to be concerned about,  I assure you."

He will then continue on his (our) way, content that the matter is sufficiently handled, not really wanting someone else to get dragged into all of this.
Lizzie follows closely, taking Hertzy's arm (I assume he's still holding onto Ashi) and witha quick "Shall we go?" start heading for the door.  I avoid eye contact with the guy in the coat, though I do keep watch on him in the Diner window reflection as long as I can. 

Oh, yes.  Let's go and play with stuffed dolls and crayons.  Yech.  I might as well cut off this old man's arm right here...but no one would beleive that a mere kid could use a sword well, and they'd just pass it off as a result of too much liqour!  I try to make my current facial expression come across as furious, but the best I can manage is slightly annoyed.  I look around, hoping that there's a way to escape.  I try to think of any possible way, since it seems that anything unbelivable I say or do will be considered a trick.

Spam

Envoy's Story

I'll follow Patch and Steve to the Dr.'s office, still playing my harmonica. I start to play a bit more of an upbeat song, a bit more complex to the ear. I start to play a bit more loudly so that some people nearby may be able to hear. I'll stop playing if we enter the doctors office, or if we slip back to a cab.

Panther_Gunn

Ray's Story:

Quote from: kkhohoho on May 20, 2007, 09:07:00 PMI try to make my current facial expression come across as furious, but the best I can manage is slightly annoyed.  I look around, hoping that there's a way to escape.

Once we're outside the diner, preferably with the door between us & others not of our party, Ray will look back at Hertzy & crew, "Please, lead the way, dear Dr.", and allow them to pass him, so he can take up the rear.  Noticing the "fidgetiness" of the smaller one of the group, "Don't worry, Ashi, I'm sure we'll get this all straightened out soon."

catwhowalksbyhimself

"Very well my friends," the doctor says cheerily, "it's just a short distance this way."

Hertzy then leads the group to his office.

OOC:  Hertzy was actually drawing his Watch a while ago and going to show it to Ray, but it doesn't matter so much now. 

If the man follows them and Hertzy notices, he will release Lizzies arm and consult it, then hand it to Ray.  If both do not happen, then he will not do so.

kkhohoho

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on May 20, 2007, 11:11:39 PM
Ray's Story:

Quote from: kkhohoho on May 20, 2007, 09:07:00 PMI try to make my current facial expression come across as furious, but the best I can manage is slightly annoyed.  I look around, hoping that there's a way to escape.

Once we're outside the diner, preferably with the door between us & others not of our party, Ray will look back at Hertzy & crew, "Please, lead the way, dear Dr.", and allow them to pass him, so he can take up the rear.  Noticing the "fidgetiness" of the smaller one of the group, "Don't worry, Ashi, I'm sure we'll get this all straightened out soon."

"Really?", I say as though there were a period instead of a question mark.  "I am sure you will find me a nice playpen to play around in.  Everyone else is trying to.  Everyone thinks I am just a kid."

Glitch Girl

Lizzie

I follow everyone to the offices, but I do occasionally check to see if we're being followed by the guy from the diner, or anyone else for that matter.

BlueBard

Quote from: BlueBard on May 20, 2007, 06:57:54 PM
Quote from: Alaric on May 20, 2007, 05:29:02 PM
You're in a narrow alley. There's garbage underfoot, and old movie posters are pealing on the walls. Only one other person is around, a man walking quickly, purposefully, and yet cautiously, almost sneakily, ahead of you, going the same direction you are. your body guard instincts wtell you he's likely up to no good, but you know it's probably not your buisness.

Neither was the last time, I remind myself.  If something bad happens that I could have prevented, I couldn't live with myself.  I follow the man as far back and as quietly as I can until I can figure out what he's up to.

Where is the man going?

If it looks like he's going to go inside a building, or into gang territory, I don't follow him.  If it looks like he's about to hide in order to mug somebody, I move in on him but play stupid.  If he notices me, I'll start rooting through trash like a bum.

Alaric

(oog- Sorry I didn't keep things going yesterday. I don't have time right now, but I promise I'll update things later today...)

Alaric

Frank:

Quote from: BlueBard on May 22, 2007, 06:55:41 AM

Where is the man going?

If it looks like he's going to go inside a building, or into gang territory, I don't follow him.  If it looks like he's about to hide in order to mug somebody, I move in on him but play stupid.  If he notices me, I'll start rooting through trash like a bum.

Actually, it looks like he's looking for something. He doesn't seem to want to be seen looking for whatever it is, though.

He also looks a little worried.

Alaric

Everyone else:

As Patch reaches for the doorbell and Envoy plays his harmonica, Steve sees Hertzy, Ray, Lizzie and Ashi approaching. Steve may notice that one of the men looks a lot like the description of Dr. hertziwitz, although none of his friends look very scary. The kid seems to be dressed a little oddly, though- traditional Japanese clothing of some sort...

Meanwhile, Hertzy and the rest of the approaching group can see the group at the outside door to the office. You can all check each other's descriptions in the other thread, if you want.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Hertzy's (reluctant) Story
Seeing the men gathered in front of his office door, Hertzy walks up to them and says, "Greetings, I am Doctor Mortimer Hertziwits.  If you gentlemen will wait inside for a few minutes, we have a situation to take care of and then I can see to your need, unless there's a real emergency, of course."

Hertzy will open his office door and invite everyone inside.

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on May 22, 2007, 04:13:20 PM
Frank:

Quote from: BlueBard on May 22, 2007, 06:55:41 AM

Where is the man going?

Actually, it looks like he's looking for something. He doesn't seem to want to be seen looking for whatever it is, though.

He also looks a little worried.

Frank's Story:

Frank decides to shamble into view and play slow-minded.  Before the man can react to him, Frank asks, "Yuh-you n-need h-help?  I huh-help?"

Glitch Girl

Lizzie
I look over the group that's standing outside the doctor's door.

Two average joes and... oh lordy, they're crawling out of the woodwork today I think when I see the hunched man that finishes off the trio.  I try not to let this reaction reach my face though.

Viking

Patch's Story

Patch smiles amiably at Dr. Hertziwits.  "No emergency, doctor.  At least, not a medical emergency.  Patch Briarson, Private Investigator.  I'm investigating a case and heard about your unfortunate run-in earlier today.  As soon as you're done with your 'situation,' I was hoping we could compare notes."

Patch makes a point of holding the door open to the office to let Dr. Hertziwits and his friends through first.  As Lizzie enters, he tips his fedora to her with a polite nod.

Uncle Yuan

Steve's Story

Steve looks looks decidedly perplexed by the large entourage, but he too manages a polite "sirs, madam" to the others before following them in.

Panther_Gunn

Ray's Story:

Ray notes the group long enough before getting close enough to make introductions.  Mary Shelley, indeed. he thinks to himself, raising one eyebrow.    Well, I've turned over stranger things that turned out to be true, so.....

After brief introductions and invitations are made, Ray follows the rest of his companions in, crowding just a little bit closer to them, muttering to himself: "oh, more complications.  I just know this won't turn out well."

Spam

Envoy's Story

I stop playing my harmonica when the other group reaches us, and give hellos to everyone that passes us by. When we all walk into the office, I'll take a seat and continue to play on, but now rather silently, or at least to myself.

Well, let's see here. A vietnamese looking child, a woman with probably nothing to lose, and two very strideful men, one being the man we want to see. Now I just wonder how we'll all get along.

Alaric

Frank:

Quote from: BlueBard on May 22, 2007, 06:39:08 PM
Frank decides to shamble into view and play slow-minded.  Before the man can react to him, Frank asks, "Yuh-you n-need h-help?  I huh-help?"

The man looks startled for a moment- very startled. Then, as he looks at you, something seems to occur to him, and he relaxes- just a little.

"Uh, I get it. They sent you to, uh, help me, right? Yeah, that's it."

He still looks pretty nervous, though.

The man mutters something under his breath, in colorful language, about how much he hates this whole operation. He looks kind of uncomfortable.

"They told you what we're looking for, right?" he says quietly. "I mean, of course YOU'd know. Anyway, I figure this alley's probably the place- or maybe the next street. You look on that side-" he gestures to the end of the alley you came in from, "-and I'll look on the other end. Just- don't attract attention. The cops are still swarming the whole area, and there's some... OTHER stuff going on, too."

He goes back to looking for... whatever it is that he's looking for.

Alaric

Everyone else:

You all get into the office with no trouble.

Ray- [spoiler]You recognize Patch Briarson's name. He's supposed to be some kind of psychic detective- his agency is called something like "The Third Eye", you can't quite remember. You've come across his name in conjunction with some strange goings-on.[/spoiler]

Patch- [spoiler]Dr Hertziwiz is definitely the man you saw in your vision. He doesn't look very dangerous, you note. Also, you note the complete absense of anyone matching the vague discription you had of his "scary" friend.

Also, when Dr. Ray Kostanzis introduces himself, you recognize the name- some sort of parapsychologist or occult investigator, has been involved in some strange goings-on.[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Hertzy's (reluctant) Story

QuotePatch smiles amiably at Dr. Hertziwits.  "No emergency, doctor.  At least, not a medical emergency.  Patch Briarson, Private Investigator.  I'm investigating a case and heard about your unfortunate run-in earlier today.  As soon as you're done with your 'situation,' I was hoping we could compare notes."

"Very well, won't you and your two friends have a seat here in the reception area?"

The reception area is clean and neat, with a desk in the middle and hallway toward the back.  One of the pictures in the wall is off-center slightly, which only serves to draw attention to the fact that the good doctor's own bowtie is also off-center and his suit coat, while clean and wrinkle free, is a worn a bit crooked and lopsided.  In fact his whole demeanor somehow reminds one of an absent-minded professor, although it's obvious that one of his profession cannot be all THAT absent minded.  His overweight belly and while hair and beard causing him to resemble Santa Claus if he weren't wearing a business suit only serve to add to this impression.

The doctor, then motions Lizzie, Ray and Ashi into one of the examining rooms.  With a glance the company, he pulls out the Watch and peers at it intently as he follows.

Glitch Girl

Lizzie

Quote from: Patch on May 22, 2007, 09:06:49 PM
Patch makes a point of holding the door open to the office to let Dr. Hertziwits and his friends through first.  As Lizzie enters, he tips his fedora to her with a polite nod.
"Much obliged," I smile back.  I nod to Steve as well at his greeting.

I look around the office and remark "Nice place ya' got here Doc," as I make my way across the waiting room to the examining area he indicated.  I don't go all the way in, but casually lean on the doorframe since I have a feeling this room is going to get crowded fast. 

Well Lizzie, you seem to have found quite an interesting crowd. And here you thought you were going to be bored between runs.  Heh, not this time.

Viking

Patch

Patch raises his eyebrows in recognition of Dr. Ray Kostanzis' name.  "Pleased to meet you, Doc," he greets affably, offering his hand for a handshake.

"I was wondering if we'd meet one of these days.  I'd certainly welcome your perspective on recent events."

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on May 23, 2007, 05:07:53 AM
Frank:

Quote from: BlueBard on May 22, 2007, 06:39:08 PM

The man looks startled for a moment- very startled. Then, as he looks at you, something seems to occur to him, and he relaxes- just a little.

"Uh, I get it. They sent you to, uh, help me, right? Yeah, that's it."

He still looks pretty nervous, though.

The man mutters something under his breath, in colorful language, about how much he hates this whole operation. He looks kind of uncomfortable.

"They told you what we're looking for, right?" he says quietly. "I mean, of course YOU'd know. Anyway, I figure this alley's probably the place- or maybe the next street. You look on that side-" he gestures to the end of the alley you came in from, "-and I'll look on the other end. Just- don't attract attention. The cops are still swarming the whole area, and there's some... OTHER stuff going on, too."

He goes back to looking for... whatever it is that he's looking for.

"Oh-okay.  I luh-look," I reply.  I start sifting through trash, looking under things, moving trash cans, looking in dumpsters, all while trying to keep an eye on the other guy without being too obvious about it.  If I find anything unusual, I don't say anything... I just keep on searching as if nothing happened.  I'm hoping that if I find something I can come back for it later without this guy around.  I'm also hoping that if I keep quiet the guy will start talking and maybe let something slip that will clue me in on what's going on.

Alaric

Frank:

Quote from: BlueBard on May 23, 2007, 08:42:20 AM

"Oh-okay.  I luh-look," I reply.  I start sifting through trash, looking under things, moving trash cans, looking in dumpsters, all while trying to keep an eye on the other guy without being too obvious about it.  If I find anything unusual, I don't say anything... I just keep on searching as if nothing happened.  I'm hoping that if I find something I can come back for it later without this guy around.  I'm also hoping that if I keep quiet the guy will start talking and maybe let something slip that will clue me in on what's going on.

The guy in question doesn't seem to have any intention of talking to you- in fact, you get the distinct impression that he doesn't exactly enjoy your company, even as far away as he is. You're somewhat used to that, though...

Hmm. That's interesting... That trash can is knocked over, with a dent in it on this side... Something about it draws your attention.

Alaric

Everyone else:

I'm going to let you guys just talk for a while. Feel free to compare notes, give each other more info about yourselves (your characters), come up with theories, and just plain interact with each other.

Hertzy- [spoiler]The watch is blank, but you think you can just see the words occasionally appear for a fraction of a second. You're not sure, though.[/spoiler]

Spam

Envoy's Story

I'll just sit around and play my harmonica like I normally would, hoping anyone would come up and at least give a compliment at my playing. My stomach growls with hunger as I still haven't eaten anything for a long while, but yet I don't want to leave this company, not yet. I carefully examine everybody in the room, and just study them. Look at the way their standing, the expressions on their face, the look in their eyes.

[spoiler]If anyones giving a very worried sort of look, I'll go over and talk, see what the matter is. Maybe even try make them feel better.[/spoiler]

|