• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Thrilling Adventure Tales- Chapter 1: Murder in New York!

Started by Alaric, May 07, 2007, 03:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

kkhohoho

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 16, 2007, 04:44:40 PM
Lizzie
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 16, 2007, 03:18:37 PM
"Now, my dear," he says, addressing Lizzie, "if you would kindly call his parents, we'll see about letting them know what a poorly behaved boy he is.  It's a good thing he's not an adult, or I'd have him arrested for disturbing the peace."
"I wish it were that simple, sir," I reply, "but I don't think that boy has any kin.  I just met him myself this morning, all by himself, looked like he could use a friend.  Kid's got a great imagination, but I'll be honest, I never expected him to do that.  I'm really sorry he upset your uh... friend."

I hold out my hand.  "Y'all can call me Lizzie.  I feel kinda bad about this, so if there's something I can do to help, just say the word."

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 16, 2007, 03:40:06 PM
OOC:  I'll change my post to match once I get back from church.

catwhowalksbyhimself

OOC:  My previous post is changed, but I made sure that Lizzie's response still fits.

Quote"I wish it were that simple, sir," I reply, "but I don't think that boy has any kin.  I just met him myself this morning, all by himself, looked like he could use a friend.  Kid's got a great imagination, but I'll be honest, I never expected him to do that.  I'm really sorry he upset your uh... friend."

I hold out my hand.  "Y'all can call me Lizzie.  I feel kinda bad about this, so if there's something I can do to help, just say the word."

Hertzy takes her hand and speaks quietly so the boy can't overhear. 

[spoiler]"Dr. Mortimer Hertziwits, M.D.  I have a practice around the corner with toys and places for kids to hang out.  He can stay there a while if you want, while I contact the police about finding his parents.  But first of all, I want my coffee and I promised my new friend here some as well.  You are welcome to join me when I leave so we can deposit him safely in my office.  And for goodness sake, don't let him run off."[/spoiler]

Then, turning to Ray, "I believe I still owe you some coffee my good sir.  I am rather curious about what your area of expertise is, as you referred to yourself as a doctor."

Spam

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 16, 2007, 04:31:34 PM
Quote from: Spam on May 16, 2007, 04:21:18 PM
Envoy's Story
"Dr. Holland you say his name is? Hrmm... Never heard of him. What field of medicine was he in?" Sort of replying to what Steven said.

"Physics, actually.  Nobel Prize laureate.  Quite the genius."

"Wow... Quite impressive."

kkhohoho

Quote"I wish it were that simple, sir," I reply, "but I don't think that boy has any kin.  I just met him myself this morning, all by himself, looked like he could use a friend.  Kid's got a great imagination, but I'll be honest, I never expected him to do that.  I'm really sorry he upset your uh... friend."

She's never going to beleive me, is she?  I walk towards the door leading out of the diner.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Hertzy quickly grabs Ashi by the arm.  His grip is surprisingly strong for an overweight, older man.

"Not so quickly boy. You aren't going anywhere until we have a chance to call the police and find your parents."

Glitch Girl

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 16, 2007, 05:39:14 PM
Hertzy takes her hand and speaks quietly so the boy can't overhear. 

[spoiler]"Dr. Mortimer Hertziwits, M.D.  I have a practice around the corner with toys and places for kids to hang out.  He can stay there a while if you want, while I contact the police about finding his parents.  But first of all, I want my coffee and I promised my new friend here some as well.  You are welcome to join me when I leave so we can deposit him safely in my office.  And for goodness sake, don't let him run off."[/spoiler]
"Wish it were that simple Doc, but-"
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimselfHertzy quickly grabs Ashi by the arm.  His grip is surprisingly strong for an overweight, older man.

"Not so quickly boy. You aren't going anywhere until we have a chance to call the police and find your parents."
"-he's a bit of a handful." I finish.  "Frankly he's got more energy than just about anything.  His name's Ashi, but that's about all I can get out of him."

catwhowalksbyhimself

"I am sorry my good man," Hertzy says to Ray, "but I am afraid the coffee will have to wait until later."

"Now, child," Hertzy says to Ashi, "will you come with me quietly to my office, where you can play with toys until we can find you parents, or am I going to have to call the police and hand you over to them right here."

kkhohoho

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 16, 2007, 06:13:15 PM
Hertzy quickly grabs Ashi by the arm.  His grip is surprisingly strong for an overweight, older man.

Not another one...

"My parents are in Japan.  I came here on my own.  I would tell you more, but I do not think you would beleive me."  I look straight at Lizzie for almost a second, giving her an unpleasent look, then turn my eyes away.

Glitch Girl

Lizzie
I shrug.

"He's been takling about monsters and demons and things like that all morning," I tell Hertzy. "It was cute at first, but... well, you saw what happened.  Say, is your big friend going to be okay?"

kkhohoho

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 16, 2007, 09:15:22 PM
Lizzie
I shrug.

"He's been takling about monsters and demons and things like that all morning," I tell Hertzy. "It was cute at first, but... well, you saw what happened.  Say, is your big friend going to be okay?"

"It's all true.", I mutter under my breath in Japanese.

Alaric

(oog- Blows refferee whistle: WHEEEEET!!!!

In an earlier post, I specifically said that it's against the rules of this game to alter a post after any other character has responded to it. I've only glanced quickly at what's happened since my last post, but at least two players have disregarded that rule. If you make a mistake, try to deal with it through playing the game, not by changing the past. Seriously.)

Panther_Gunn

Ray's Story:

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 16, 2007, 06:51:01 PM
"I am sorry my good man," Hertzy says to Ray, "but I am afraid the coffee will have to wait until later."

"That's quite alright, Doctor.  Given the circumstances, I understand completely."

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself
"Now, child," Hertzy says to Ashi, "will you come with me quietly to my office, where you can play with toys until we can find you parents, or am I going to have to call the police and hand you over to them right here."

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 16, 2007, 09:15:22 PM"He's been takling about monsters and demons and things like that all morning," I tell Hertzy. "It was cute at first, but... well, you saw what happened."

At the mention of the "M" and "D" words, Ray's eyebrows shoot up, accompanied by a concerned look on his face.

"Excuse me," he says, directing his comments towards Hertzy & Lizzie, as well as including Ashi in his gaze, "but I think it would be best if we all retired to the good Doctor's office, so this can be gone over in private.  No need to trouble the other patrons with more interruptions than necessary.  And I think we could *all* use some coffee for this....I'll pick up the tab on this one."

Ray proceeds to the register, orders four large coffees to go, and asks the cashier if they could direct their large friend to Dr. Hertziwits' office, should he come back looking for them.

Alaric

(oog- just to clarify my previous post, while I'm a little more awake. It's a good idea to try to avoid cahnging a post after you've posted it, unless, a) you're just correcting typos, b) you've literally just posted it, or c) I've let you know that the post couldn't have happened the way you posted it for one reason or another. If someone else, whether myself or another palyer, has already posted an in-game response to your post, in any way, in this thread, it's absolutely against the rules of the game to change your post in any way except in case "a" and "c" as listed above- and even in case "a", if there was a response that made use of the typo in some way, you can't afterwards change your post (ie- Character 1 posted 'I stand on top of a crate, strike a dramatic pose, and declare "I am the Drak Avgener!"', meaning to type "I am the Dark avenger!" Character 2 posts, in response, 'I hold out my hand and say, "Glad to meet you, Drak Avgener!"' Correcting the original post after this would make nonsense of the response, so it wouldn't be allowed).  Otherwise, changing your post after it has been responded to would essentially be changing the past, even if you try to do it in a way that still makes sense with the response (you don't know that the other player would have responded to the new post the same way, anyway, however much it may make sense to you).

kkhohoho, I know you're trying very hard, and Ashi's an interesting and fun character most of the time. When something like this comes up, though- when you realize, whether on your own or because of somethign someone else has told you, that there was a better response than the one you made, one that would both make more sense and help the story more, try to use that in your continued posting- Ashi, after making that statement about having to "deal' with Frank (I don't remember the exact words) and starting to pursue him, suddenly starts to think about Frank's earlier words, and changes his mind, for example. Think of it like the real world- when you make a mistake, you can't go back and make it un-happen, you can only try to fix it by your present and future actions. Believe me, I've made plenty of mistakes in this game so far, too, but I've resisted the temptation to go back and change things after the fact- "Oh, by the way, that's not actually how Lizzie got involved in all of this, after all- there's another way that makes much more sense." Instead, I try to keep the game moving forward from the point it's already gotten to. I'd also recomend that you look at the other game thread, the "Trhilling Exploits" one- there's a discussion there in part about balancing staying true to your character with moving the story forward. Remember, while your character is part of the story, and you are in a sense helping to write that story, I do have an underlying story worked out for you guys, in a sense. You don't have to create that much additional conflict, there will be plenty coming through- although a certain amount of character-created conflict can be fun... In certain other posting games I've played in, there were times when actual fights broke out among the group, and we still managed to get the story moving again afterwards- not that I'm recomending that you try for that approach. Anyway, just think about that sort of thing, and use your own judgement.

catwhowalksbyhimself- I realize that my original post, a while back, about not changing posts after they've been responded to was specifically adressed to kkhohoho (though it wasn't spoilered), so you may have missed it, but for future reference, if someone else changes their post after you've responded to it, I'd rather that you just pretend the post hasn't been changed. I'm going to go back to the first post in this thread and add a couple of rules I've come up with since the game started as soon as I'm done continuing the game.

Now, we return to our regularly-schedueled game.)

(Edit- Looking back in the thread, I notice that in one case I did change something in a minor way, after the fact. Even there, though, I didn't change the original post- just corrected myself later. Occasionally, if something really didn't make sense and the change is a minor one that doesn't affect the way other people have responded, I may allow someone to make this kind of change- subject to my approval. Even then, please don't change the original post.)

Alaric

Patch, Steve, Envoy:

(Just need a little clarification- are you still standing in front of the police station, are you hailing a cab, or what?)

Alaric

Hertzy, Ray, Lizzie, Ashi:

Needless to say, you're atracting a lot of attention from the other customers- including the man in the trench coat who Lizzie and Ashi met earlier, who is now approaching the group.

Ray- [spoiler]It all clicks- you remember having come across refferences to a Japanese man who had dedicated his life to slaying demons, and who had been cursed by one to live in the body of a child. The child's name... the woman said it was Ashi... Ah! Now you remember... the demon slayer's name was Ashikyo.[/spoiler]

Alaric

Frank:

As you run down the street, you can't help being aware of people cringing and pulling away from you. Relative to the direction the group innitially came from, which way do you go?

catwhowalksbyhimself

catwhowalksbyhimself- I realize that my original post, a while back, about not changing posts after they've been responded to was specifically adressed to kkhohoho (though it wasn't spoilered), so you may have missed it, but for future reference, if someone else changes their post after you've responded to it, I'd rather that you just pretend the post hasn't been changed. I'm going to go back to the first post in this thread and add a couple of rules I've come up with since the game started as soon as I'm done continuing the game.

OOC.  My bad, I did read that somewhere, but forgot about it.  I was just trying to play nice with kkhohoho.  In my case, at least, I warned that the post would be changed.  It will be done correctly from now on.

Hertzy's Story

Quote"He's been takling about monsters and demons and things like that all morning," I tell Hertzy. "It was cute at first, but... well, you saw what happened.  Say, is your big friend going to be okay?"

"I wish I knew.  I could have helped him find a job at least, but now he's worse off than before, I'm afraid."

"Excuse me," he says, directing his comments towards Hertzy & Lizzie, as well as including Ashi in his gaze, "but I think it would be best if we all retired to the good Doctor's office, so this can be gone over in private.  No need to trouble the other patrons with more interruptions than necessary.  And I think we could *all* use some coffee for this....I'll pick up the tab on this one."

Ray proceeds to the register, orders four large coffees to go, and asks the cashier if they could direct their large friend to Dr. Hertziwits' office, should he come back looking for them.

The doctor's a bit confused, but he agrees with the plan, having intended on taking the boy to his office anyway.

"I still have a bit of time left before my next appointment, so you are welcome to come.  It's a very short walk anyway."

QuoteNeedless to say, you're atracting a lot of attention from the other customers- including the man in the trench coat who Lizzie and Ashi met earlier, who is now approaching the group.

Hertzy doesn't notice the man in the trench coat.  At least not yet.

If he does and he looks threatening, Hertzy will consult the Watch and show it to Ray.

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: Alaric on May 17, 2007, 04:08:37 AM
Patch, Steve, Envoy:

(Just need a little clarification- are you still standing in front of the police station, are you hailing a cab, or what?)

OOC: I thought Patch had hailed a cab when we walked out.  This was just before the time re-jigging to get Envoy to us, so maybe it got lost inthe shuffle.

Steve's Story
"Is this place far, Mr. Briarson?  I'm thinking we should also check out Dr. Holland's lab.  If his murder had anything to do with his research, there may be something to learn there."

Alaric

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 17, 2007, 05:28:24 AM
Quote from: Alaric on May 17, 2007, 04:08:37 AM
Patch, Steve, Envoy:

OOC: I thought Patch had hailed a cab when we walked out.  This was just before the time re-jigging to get Envoy to us, so maybe it got lost inthe shuffle.

(oog- There was no time re-jigging. Patch said he planned to hail a cab after seeing if he could get more info from the officer who encountered the others. He got the info, but never posted about actually hailing the cab afterward. At least, that's the way I read it. My comment about time just had to do with fitting Envoy's questioniing into the same time frame as Patch getting the info and talking to you.)

Viking

Patch's Story

Patch hails a cab, inviting Steve and Envoy inside.  He gives the driver the Mulberry Street intersection as the destination.

Glitch Girl

Lizzie
Quote from: PanterGunn

"Why that's very kind of you, sir," I smile.  "Much appreciated."

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 17, 2007, 04:59:48 AM
The doctor's a bit confused, but he agrees with the plan, having intended on taking the boy to his office anyway.

"I still have a bit of time left before my next appointment, so you are welcome to come.  It's a very short walk anyway."

QuoteNeedless to say, you're atracting a lot of attention from the other customers- including the man in the trench coat who Lizzie and Ashi met earlier, who is now approaching the group.

I pretend not to see the man but still try to keep watch on him out of the corner of my eye.  I hope he won't act in a crowd.

"Yes, we've disturbed these poor people's breakfest enough for one morning."  I turn to the room.  "Sorry 'bout that folks. Y'all can go back to your dining.  We'll be out of your way in no time. "

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on May 17, 2007, 04:20:42 AM
Frank:

As you run down the street, you can't help being aware of people cringing and pulling away from you. Relative to the direction the group innitially came from, which way do you go?

The opposite direction.  And I make a left at the first corner.

After a short distance, I slow down.  Not really knowing where to go, I start to wander.

Alaric

Patch, Steve, Envoy:

You hail a cab, and arrive at your destination without incident. The only noteworthy thing in the area is a newstand.

Viking

Patch's Story
Quote from: Alaric on May 17, 2007, 12:03:19 PM
You hail a cab, and arrive at your destination without incident. The only noteworthy thing in the area is a newstand.

Patch saunters over to the newstand, and buys a copy of the current paper.  He asks the owner, conversationally, "Hey pal, could you direct me to the office of Dr. Hertziwits?"

Spam

Envoy's Story

I step out of the cab, and pull my harmonica from my pocket. I start to play my harmonica, trying to maybe keep it to myself. I'll just play until we're done here.

Alaric

Patch, Steve, Envoy:

Quote from: Viking on May 17, 2007, 12:13:59 PM
Patch's Story
Quote from: Alaric on May 17, 2007, 12:03:19 PM

Patch saunters over to the newstand, and buys a copy of the current paper.  He asks the owner, conversationally, "Hey pal, could you direct me to the office of Dr. Hertziwits?"

The man smiles at you. "Hertzy? Of course. Right across the street." He points. You see a "Mortimer Hertziwitz, MD" sign outside a door. "You have an appointment? You'll like Hertzy. I hope he's okay, though, after what happened. I saw it with my own eyes! Two men tried to mug him! Good thing those two other men were around to help. Even if one was..." He trails off.

"Buy a paper?'

Alaric

Hertzy, Ray, Lizzie, Ashi:

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 17, 2007, 07:10:27 AM
Lizzie
Quote from: PanterGunn

"Why that's very kind of you, sir," I smile.  "Much appreciated."

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 17, 2007, 04:59:48 AM

I pretend not to see the man but still try to keep watch on him out of the corner of my eye.  I hope he won't act in a crowd.

"Yes, we've disturbed these poor people's breakfest enough for one morning."  I turn to the room.  "Sorry 'bout that folks. Y'all can go back to your dining.  We'll be out of your way in no time. "

As you're leaving, the man in the trenchcoat approaches you. He asks, "Hey, who was that guy? What's going on?"

Alaric

Frank:

Quote from: BlueBard on May 17, 2007, 09:13:21 AM
Quote from: Alaric on May 17, 2007, 04:20:42 AM
Frank:

The opposite direction.  And I make a left at the first corner.

After a short distance, I slow down.  Not really knowing where to go, I start to wander.

You're in a narrow alley. There's garbage underfoot, and old movie posters are pealing on the walls. Only one other person is around, a man walking quickly, purposefully, and yet cautiously, almost sneakily, ahead of you, going the same direction you are. your body guard instincts wtell you he's likely up to no good, but you know it's probably not your buisness.

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: Alaric on May 20, 2007, 05:19:33 PM
The man smiles at you. "Hertzy? Of course. Right across the street." He points. You see a "Mortimer Hertziwitz, MD" sign outside a door. "You have an appointment? You'll like Hertzy. I hope he's okay, though, after what happened. I saw it with my own eyes! Two men tried to mug him! Good thing those two other men were around to help. Even if one was..." He trails off.

"Buy a paper?'

Steve's Story

"Mugged?  I've heard New York is a dangerous town, but good grief!  I'm in town for just a few hours and already two!  First Dr. Holland, then this Dr. Hertziwitz. . . "

I turn to Patch, "You don't suppose this could be connected somehow?"

I give the newspaper guy a nod and a "thanks" as we head across the street to the office.

Panther_Gunn

oog:  I had to go back quite a ways to see which "man" this was.  ;)

Ray's Story:

Quote from: Alaric on May 20, 2007, 05:24:40 PMAs you're leaving, the man in the trenchcoat approaches you. He asks, "Hey, who was that guy? What's going on?"

Just now noticing the man, Ray responds: "Oh, just a friend, going through some rough times.  Sometimes the pressures of the everyday can make even the most calm person shout in frustration.  Nothing to be concerned about, I assure you."

He will then continue on his (our) way, content that the matter is sufficiently handled, not really wanting someone else to get dragged into all of this.

|