• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Thrilling Adventure Tales- Chapter 1: Murder in New York!

Started by Alaric, May 07, 2007, 03:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

kkhohoho

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 14, 2007, 08:50:32 PM
Lizzie & Ashi
My hand closes on the charm and the frown fades.

Hmmm... what do ya' know...

"You know kid, you are full of surprises," I say and withdraw my hand from my pocket.  In it is a small oriental coin I hold for display.

"Interesting.  I recognize that design.  You must have been in Asia."

Hm...Maby if there arn't many people around, I can do it right here.

I look around to see if there's many people in the diner.

GM
[spoiler] If there's hardly any people around, Ashi holds his sword in front of him for Lizzie to see, makes it dissapear, and then has both swords reappear in each hand.  If not, Ashi motions again for Lizzie to follow him.[/spoiler]

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: Viking on May 14, 2007, 07:54:38 AM
He rubs his chin thoughtfully.  "Of course, figuring out what those connections mean takes a bit of legwork.   I should probably follow up on that guy with the watch and his 'weird-looking' friend.  Did Bill report a location on where he found these guys?"

Steve's Story
"Are you going over there?  Mind if I tag along?  I won't get in the way, I promise.  I'd really like to do whatever I can to help solve his murder.  Besides, IDT technically owns his research, and if somebody killed him for it we'd like to know!"

catwhowalksbyhimself

Herty's Story

Quote"It r-really isn't n-necessary, D-Doctor.  I-I'm just glad to he-help.  I sh-should be going.  I n-need to f-find another j-job."

"Nonsense, my boy, it's the least I can do.  And maybe if I get some further information from you I may be able to find someone in need of your services.  I have plenty of clients in plenty of different fields, and some long-time friends in various professional capacities.  It certainly wouldn't hurt for me to spread the word and give a glowing recommendation as well.  None of which will help you if I don't know how they can contact you.

"Besides, I do have some questions about a few things I noticed looking at you earlier.  Mind you I won't ask them if they make you uncomfortable and I'll pretend that I didn't notice.  It's none of my business after all."

Glitch Girl

Lizzie & Ashi
Quote from: kkhohoho on May 14, 2007, 09:01:22 PM

"A little bit.  I travel all over, though I don't stay long in any one place. Heck, I don't even remember where I got this thing... though I think it might have been that pool hall back in San Fran," she adds smiling faintly.

[EDIT: slight rewording]

Viking

Patch's Story
Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 15, 2007, 05:18:41 AM
"Are you going over there?  Mind if I tag along?  I won't get in the way, I promise.  I'd really like to do whatever I can to help solve his murder.  Besides, IDT technically owns his research, and if somebody killed him for it we'd like to know!"

"Sure thing.  You never know when an extra set of eyes might come in handy."

Patch turns to Detective Bruntman and hands him a Third Eye Detective Agency business card.  "When you're done questioning that Envoy character and give him one of your cards in case he remembers anything else, would you mind giving him mine as well?  Maybe he'll be a little less spooked about talking to somebody that's not a cop.  I'll head down to Mulberry Street and see if I can find any new leads from there."

BlueBard

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 15, 2007, 05:39:42 AM
Herty's Story

Quote"It r-really isn't n-necessary, D-Doctor.  I-I'm just glad to he-help.  I sh-should be going.  I n-need to f-find another j-job."

"Nonsense, my boy, it's the least I can do.  And maybe if I get some further information from you I may be able to find someone in need of your services.  I have plenty of clients in plenty of different fields, and some long-time friends in various professional capacities.  It certainly wouldn't hurt for me to spread the word and give a glowing recommendation as well.  None of which will help you if I don't know how they can contact you.

"Besides, I do have some questions about a few things I noticed looking at you earlier.  Mind you I won't ask them if they make you uncomfortable and I'll pretend that I didn't notice.  It's none of my business after all."

Frank's Story:

Frank looks uncomfortable and anxious, which seems odd for such an imposing figure.

"I-I could use the wuh-work," Frank admits reluctantly.  "Wh-what kind of kuh-qw-qwestions?"

catwhowalksbyhimself

Seeing Frank's discomfort, Hertzy decides to drop the subject.  Frank may later become comfortable enough with with to bring the subject up later, but for now it's not so important.

"Nevermind the questions then, they don't really have to be asked.  Come, join us for coffee or whatever you like and I can get your contact information."

Assuming that Frank is convinced, Hertzy will lead him and Ray to a nearby restaurant or diner.

Alaric

Lizzie, Ashi:

Lizzie & Ashi

"You know kid, you are full of surprises," I say and withdraw my hand from my pocket.  In it is a small oriental coin I hold for display.

GM
[spoiler] If there's hardly any people around, Ashi holds his sword in front of him for Lizzie to see, makes it dissapear, and then has both swords reappear in each hand.  If not, Ashi motions again for Lizzie to follow him.[/spoiler]

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 15, 2007, 06:12:31 AM"A little bit.  I travel all over, though I don't stay long in any one place. Heck, I don't even remember where I got this thing... though I think it might have been that pool hall back in San Fran," she adds smiling faintly.

Note: Interestingly enough, both your lucky coins look... very similar. Do you want to compare them more closely?

Ashi- [spoiler]There are too many people around to do that without being noticed. You might be able to make the sword disappear under the table, and get Lizzie to look, though.[/spoiler]

Alaric

Hertzy, Frank, Ray:

The three of you walk a couple of blocks and turn a corner. It's amazing how, in New York, you can turn a corner and be in a completely different neighborhood... The diner looks a little crowded, but not packed.

Alaric

Patch, Envoy, Steve:

Quote from: Viking on May 15, 2007, 06:51:23 AM
Patch's Story
Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 15, 2007, 05:18:41 AM

"Sure thing.  You never know when an extra set of eyes might come in handy."

Patch turns to Detective Bruntman and hands him a Third Eye Detective Agency business card.  "When you're done questioning that Envoy character and give him one of your cards in case he remembers anything else, would you mind giving him mine as well?  Maybe he'll be a little less spooked about talking to somebody that's not a cop.  I'll head down to Mulberry Street and see if I can find any new leads from there."

"Sure thing."

Envoy is meanwhile being taken to another room for questioning.

Spam

Envoy's Story

I look around the new room they bring me to which is obviously for questioning. I'll sit down in any chair (if they left one out for me, at least), and ask them what they want to know.

[spoiler]This time around, Envoy won't use his ability on the cops, he'll try and be careful.[/spoiler]

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on May 15, 2007, 07:49:08 AM
Hertzy, Frank, Ray:

The three of you walk a couple of blocks and turn a corner. It's amazing how, in New York, you can turn a corner and be in a completely different neighborhood... The diner looks a little crowded, but not packed.

Frank lumbers along behind the other two men, keeping pace with them.  His eyes reflexively sweep the street ahead of them for potential threats.  He meets the eyes of others with his own steely gaze; they instinctively understand this is not a man to trifle with and give him a wide berth.

As they enter the diner, Frank immediately sizes up the patrons in case any of them look like trouble.  As a professional bodyguard, this has become habit for him.

kkhohoho

Quote from: Alaric on May 15, 2007, 07:38:26 AM
Lizzie, Ashi:

Lizzie & Ashi

GM

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 15, 2007, 06:12:31 AM"A little bit.  I travel all over, though I don't stay long in any one place. Heck, I don't even remember where I got this thing... though I think it might have been that pool hall back in San Fran," she adds smiling faintly.

Note: Interestingly enough, both your lucky coins look... very similar. Do you want to compare them more closely?

Ashi- [spoiler]There are too many people around to do that without being noticed. You might be able to make the sword disappear under the table, and get Lizzie to look, though.[/spoiler]

I go up to the table.  I intend to go under the table, but I notice that the coin looks similar to mine.  I put my sword under the table, then inspect the coin closer.  The 2 coins remind me of something I've heard of before, but I can't put my finger on it.  I put the thought aside, hoping it will come to me later, and go under the table where my sword is.

"Lizzie, would you mind looking under the table?"

Panther_Gunn

Ray's Story:

Quote from: Alaric on May 15, 2007, 07:49:08 AMThe three of you walk a couple of blocks and turn a corner. It's amazing how, in New York, you can turn a corner and be in a completely different neighborhood... The diner looks a little crowded, but not packed.

"ummmm, Dr.?  Would you perhaps know of a place that not quite so.....popular?  While I don't generally dislike being around people, I'm not always thrilled when there's too many in one place around me.  Plus, I think our friend here might feel a little more comfortable if there were less eyes to stare at him.  If not, perhaps a secluded corner booth in the back?"

Glitch Girl

Lizzie, Ashi:
Quote from: kkhohoho on May 15, 2007, 09:54:19 AMI go up to the table.  I intend to go under the table, but I notice that the coin looks similar to mine.  I put my sword under the table, then inspect the coin closer.  The 2 coins remind me of something I've heard of before, but I can't put my finger on it.  I put the thought aside, hoping it will come to me later, and go under the table where my sword is.

I slide the coin back into my pocket and sort of peer at Ashi as he crawls under the table.

"You know, if this turns into one of those 'pull my finger' gags..." I warn him, crossing my legs just in case.

Viking

Patch's Story - with Steve!

Quote from: Alaric on May 15, 2007, 07:55:51 AM
"Sure thing."

Envoy is meanwhile being taken to another room for questioning.

Patch plans to catch a cab to the Mulberry Street location, with Steve tagging along.  If he can get any more detailed information from the officer that was on the scene, that would help speed things up a good deal.  (Descriptions of anyone that was with the man with the watch, or any indications of which way they might have gone, etc.)

BlueBard

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on May 15, 2007, 11:28:23 AM
Ray's Story:
"ummmm, Dr.?  Would you perhaps know of a place that not quite so.....popular?  While I don't generally dislike being around people, I'm not always thrilled when there's too many in one place around me.  Plus, I think our friend here might feel a little more comfortable if there were less eyes to stare at him.  If not, perhaps a secluded corner booth in the back?"

Frank's Story:

"No ma-matter where I guh-go, there's alwuh-ways someone s-staring.  He-here or anywh-where, it doesn't m-matter."

kkhohoho

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 15, 2007, 11:52:44 AM
Lizzie, Ashi:
Quote from: kkhohoho on May 15, 2007, 09:54:19 AMI go up to the table.  I intend to go under the table, but I notice that the coin looks similar to mine.  I put my sword under the table, then inspect the coin closer.  The 2 coins remind me of something I've heard of before, but I can't put my finger on it.  I put the thought aside, hoping it will come to me later, and go under the table where my sword is.

I slide the coin back into my pocket and sort of peer at Ashi as he crawls under the table.

"You know, if this turns into one of those 'pull my finger' gags..." I warn him, crossing my legs just in case.

"No, it isn't."

Here we go...

I make my sword dissapear, then have 2 more appear.

"Well?"

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote"ummmm, Dr.?  Would you perhaps know of a place that not quite so.....popular?  While I don't generally dislike being around people, I'm not always thrilled when there's too many in one place around me.  Plus, I think our friend here might feel a little more comfortable if there were less eyes to stare at him.  If not, perhaps a secluded corner booth in the back?"

"My dear boy, places which are less popular tend to be either bad or closed.  I'm sure we can find somewhere near the back though."

Hertzy will look for somewhere more or less secluded with room for the three men.

Alaric

Envoy:

Detective Bruntman comes in and asks you some questions- what you saw, what you were doing there, where you work, where you live, what your real name is, what your real name REALLY is, whether you saw any suspiscious-looking people near the murder scene, whther you knew the murder victim, whether you'd like a doughnut... stuff like that. He seems mildy annoyed, but he conducts the interview in a buisnesslike way.

Assuming you've been reasonably cooperative, and give him some information he can check, such as your place of employment, he ends by giving you two cards- one with a police number, the other a buisness card for the "Third Eye Detective Agency", which he tells you is where the private detective who spoke to you before is from. "Can't hold you any longer without evidence," he says, "but if you suddenly remember anything, call."

And, with that, you're free to go.

Alaric

Patch, Steve:

The officer who told you about the incident gets you through to "Officer Bill", uh, Jones, actually, on the police radio. He's able to tell you that the man with the watch, a Doctor Herziwitz, was attacked by two men who apparently wanted him for something, after they'd seen his watch. The doctor was helped by two citizens, one of whom was "big, and, uh, kinda scary". The man who runs the newstand at the location saw the whole thing, and apparently knows the doctor quite well. That's all the information you can get- they need that radio for other things.

Alaric

Lizzie, Ashi:

Lizzie sees the sword disappear in Ashi's hand, then two swords appear, one in each hand. Pretty impressive trick, especially since they both seem quite real- good thing Ashi manages to avoid slicing Lizzie's legs off.

"Good lord- what's that?' you hear a nearby voice say, quietly. As both of you are intent on looking under the table at the moment, neither of you see who's talking, or about what.

"Stop staring, John- it's embarassing!, That poor man!" says another voice, equally quietly.

Alaric

Hertzy, Frank, Ray:

As you make your way toward a free table you see in the back, people are defintely staring at Frank. You can hear a few of them whispering, too.

Glitch Girl

Lizzie, Ashi:
Quote from: Alaric on May 15, 2007, 06:23:44 PM

Lizzie sees the sword disappear in Ashi's hand, then two swords appear, one in each hand. Pretty impressive trick, especially since they both seem quite real- good thing Ashi manages to avoid slicing Lizzie's legs off.

"Hey! Careful..!  Well... that's a pretty good trick kid. I didn't even see where-"

Quote"Good lord- what's that?' you hear a nearby voice say, quietly. As both of you are intent on looking under the table at the moment, neither of you see who's talking, or about what.

"Stop staring, John- it's embarassing!, That poor man!" says another voice, equally quietly.

I look up as the three men enter.

"Oh my... he's a big fellow," I murmur.  "Might want to hide those swords again kid.  Don't want to provoke anything."   

Spam

Envoy's Story

After a rather engaging interrogation, I finally feel happy, my first time feeling happy in at least 24 hours. I take anything the police may have confiscated, like my harmonica which just so happened to not be in my pocket once I landed in jail. If that goes without a hitch, and if Steve just so happens to arrive, I'll ask him to join me somewhere to eat. If not, I'll eat by myself.

kkhohoho

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 15, 2007, 06:46:21 PM
Lizzie, Ashi:
Quote from: Alaric on May 15, 2007, 06:23:44 PM

"Hey! Careful..!  Well... that's a pretty good trick kid. I didn't even see where-"

Quote"Good lord- what's that?' you hear a nearby voice say, quietly. As both of you are intent on looking under the table at the moment, neither of you see who's talking, or about what.

I look up as the three men enter.

"Oh my... he's a big fellow," I murmur.  "Might want to hide those swords again kid.  Don't want to provoke anything."   

At least I know she won't freak out...

Like Lizzie asked, I put my swords away.  I take a good look at the man.  ...He looks like a type of demon or monster I've seen before.  "Lizzie, I need to ask that man something important."  I walk towards the man.

GM
  [spoiler] If I get to him, I say to him "Sir, may I ask you something?" [/spoiler]

Glitch Girl

Lizzie, Ashi:
Quote from: kkhohoho on May 15, 2007, 08:00:19 PM
"Lizzie, I need to ask that man something important." 
"He a friend of yours kid?  If so, you sure can pick 'em."

kkhohoho

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 15, 2007, 08:47:50 PM
Lizzie, Ashi:
Quote from: kkhohoho on May 15, 2007, 08:00:19 PM
"Lizzie, I need to ask that man something important." 
"He a friend of yours kid?  If so, you sure can pick 'em."

I turn towards her. "You could call him an aquatince of sorts."  Although I don't know him...

I continue to walk towards what seems to be a man.

Glitch Girl

Lizzie, Ashi:
"Oh.  Good."

Figures I think to myself. Kid musta been with the circus.  Explains a lot.  And those trick swords... I've seen some slight of hand before but that was some of the best I've seen.   Can't even see the seams where they fold up.  He'll be a  regular Houdini when he grows up.

At least now someone will take care of him.

Panther_Gunn

Ray's Story:

Quote from: Alaric on May 15, 2007, 06:26:17 PMAs you make your way toward a free table you see in the back, people are defintely staring at Frank. You can hear a few of them whispering, too.

Quote from: Alaric on May 15, 2007, 06:23:44 PM"Good lord- what's that?'

*muttering to himself* "oh, too much attention.  that never turns out good."

Ray glances around nervously, moving just his eyes.  He grips the cane just a little bit tighter.

*speaking low to Hertzy* "Dr., is there some way that our friend could attract less attention in his daily life?  Is there some procedure, or even some simple cosmetics, that would help him to blend in just a little bit?  It must be difficult to live like this.  I know *I* wouldn't be able to take it."

|