• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Thrilling Adventure Tales- Chapter 1: Murder in New York!

Started by Alaric, May 07, 2007, 03:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteA single poilce car, siren blasting and light flashing, comes driving down the street, and pulls to a stop. A poilceman gets out and approaches Frank. "We had a report of a fight breaking out, and some sort of..."

Hertzy puts away his puzzlement of Frank for now, but his curiosity is piqued, and what he sees concerns him enough to want to follow up later.  Still, the fact is that Frank has been nothing but helpful and kind, whatever's going on with him.

Approaching the officer, he puts out a friendly hand.

"Greetings officer, I am Dr. Mortimer Hertziwits, M.d.  I have a practice around the corner.  Been there for over twenty years.  I was walking to get a newpaper when two men accosted me and tried to force me to go somewhere with him.  This gentleman," he said, indicating Frank, "tried to get them to let me go, and fought them on my behalf, which this one," he said, indicating Ray, "pulled me out of danger.  I assure you that there is no longer any danger, and I'm sure there are plenty of witnesses around who can give you a better description of my assailants then I am.  I was to frightened to get much of a good look at them, I'm afraid."

kkhohoho

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 10, 2007, 11:10:50 AM
Lizzie, Ashi:
Quote from: Alaric on May 10, 2007, 10:45:36 AM
At that moment, you hear the sound of approaching sirens. Filcher stops for a moment, seems to consider something, then given a "see you soon" wave, turns, and runs, not too anxiously or quickly, in the opposite direction.
Whew. Crisis averted, for now at least.

Something's going on, and right now, my gut's telling me it's bad.

Then there's that kid...

If Ashi is still on the ground, I crouch by him and say "Look, I don't know what this thing is you're so all-fired up about that you have to do, but right now, I'm offering you a free meal and someone to talk to.  It's your call, you can go if you want, but frankly, my poppa always said never pass up a free meal, espeically if you don't know where your next one is coming from."

"Besides," I add, "if you're good, I might even take you flying with me sometime."

Hmm...That man ran away when hearing the sirens, but not before waving good bye, as if he was going to come back.  Since I don't think he'd want to see me again, I think that this women knows him.  And this man may be on the run from the police.  Hmm...well, I guess I'll stay with her.  Both free food as well as the chance to perhaps have an interesting conversation...

"Allright.  I will go with you."

Uncle Yuan

Steve's Story

I give both detectives, public and private, a smile and a handshake.  "Pleased to meet you Detective Bruntman, detective Briarson.  Steven Littlefield, IDT Enterpirses.  My boss has asked me to do anything I can to help.  I'm terribly sorry to hear about Dr. Holland's, um . . . death.  I am . . . er, I was a big fan of his work.  How is his family doing?"

I spare a quick glance at the odd looking fellow they're talking to.  Ordinarily I wouldn't be too interested in a random man in jail, but if the detectives working on Dr. Holland's murder are talking to him he must be involved somehow . . .

Glitch Girl

Lizzie, Ashi:
Quote from: kkhohoho on May 10, 2007, 01:52:57 PM
"Look, I don't know what this thing is you're so all-fired up about that you have to do, but right now, I'm offering you a free meal and someone to talk to.  It's your call, you can go if you want, but frankly, my poppa always said never pass up a free meal, espeically if you don't know where your next one is coming from."

"Besides," I add, "if you're good, I might even take you flying with me sometime."

"Great, let's go then."

I hope him up and we both head for the diner. 

Provided we get there unmolested, I'm going to try to get a booth near the window if that's possible so I can see what's going on outside. I order coffee for myself and...

"My friend here will have a chocolate milkshake if that's not too much trouble and... what else do you want to eat Ashi?"

kkhohoho

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 10, 2007, 03:51:24 PM
Lizzie, Ashi:
Quote from: kkhohoho on May 10, 2007, 01:52:57 PM
"Look, I don't know what this thing is you're so all-fired up about that you have to do, but right now, I'm offering you a free meal and someone to talk to.  It's your call, you can go if you want, but frankly, my poppa always said never pass up a free meal, espeically if you don't know where your next one is coming from."

"Great, let's go then."

I hope him up and we both head for the diner.

Provided we get there unmolested, I'm going to try to get a booth near the window if that's possible so I can see what's going on outside. I order coffee for myself and...

"My friend here will have a chocolate milkshake if that's not too much trouble and... what else do you want to eat Ashi?"

"If possible, sushi.  If not, egg.  Oh, and some...nevermind.  That will be all."

I keep on forgetting I can't hold my liquor anymore...

Alaric

Hertzy, Frank, Ray:

The policeman seems somewhat reasured by Hertzy's words. He galnces at Frank and says, "Uh, your friend doesn't look so good. Should we get him to a hospital?"

You notice the cop's partner, who had gotten out of the car while hertzy was talking, is talking to the man at the newstand.

Ray- [spoiler]No, you've never heard of anything quite like frank- in real life, that is. Well, I guess he vaguely resembles some zombie-type beings you've heard of, but only vaguely.[/spoiler]

The policeman turns back to Hertzy. "Were these men trying to rob you? Had you ever seen them before?"

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteThe policeman seems somewhat reasured by Hertzy's words. He galnces at Frank and says, "Uh, your friend doesn't look so good. Should we get him to a hospital?"

"Yes, he is a strange case, but it is my professional opinion that he is fine, as far as I can tell.  I promise I'll give him a thorough examination if necessary.  My practice is nearby anyways."

QuoteThe policeman turns back to Hertzy. "Were these men trying to rob you? Had you ever seen them before?"

"They didn't seem to want anything of mine, they wanted me.  It appeared to be a random grab, using my pulling out this device", he said, showing the outside of the Watch, "and they said they wanted me for something.  They argued about it though.  The one who wanted to take me and tried to force me to go along got excited when when found out that I built the thing.  I'm afraid if they wanted me to build or fix something that I rarely get anything to work how I want it.  I tinker for the fun of it, mostly.  Any of my more serious inventions never work right anyway."

Alaric

Patch, Envoy, Steve:

Bruntman looks at Envoy, then gives a quick nod. "Might as well let 'im have his phone call." One of the cops carefully lets Envoy out of his cell and leads him to a phone.

He turns back to Steve. "Only living relative we know of is his sister, and we haven't been able to track her down. Would you mind telling us what kind of work he was doing for your company?"

Alaric

Lizzie, Ashi:

You have a booth near a window. They don't have sushi (in fact, the waitress has no idea what it is*), but the waitress brings Ashi a plate of scrambled eggs.

As the two of you eat and/or drink, you catch a bit of the conversation from a neighboring booth- some young people, talking in excited voices.

"I'm telling you, it was just a few blocks from here!"

"Oh, like you actually saw the body?"

"Well, no, but I heard..."

Spam

Envoy's Story

Finally, I have a few minutes of relief... Now just who to call...

Envoy just stares at the phone for a good minute or two before the lightbulb clicks.

I know...

Envoy picks up the receiver, and presses a few buttons.

"Yes, operator? I'd like to make a call to Shoe Supply Incorporated. Preferabbly to one of the offices of their supervisors."

Come on, pick up...

Glitch Girl

Lizzie, Ashi:
Quote from: Alaric on May 10, 2007, 07:37:05 PM

You have a booth near a window. They don't have sushi (in fact, the waitress has no idea what it is*), but the waitress brings Ashi a plate of scrambled eggs.

"What do ya' think?" I ask Ashi  "Good?"

QuoteAs the two of you eat and/or drink, you catch a bit of the conversation from a neighboring booth- some young people, talking in excited voices.

I listen over my shoulder.

Body?  That explains all the cops.  Wonder if it was one of Filcher's buddies that got cacked.

kkhohoho

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 10, 2007, 08:32:53 PM
Lizzie, Ashi:
Quote from: Alaric on May 10, 2007, 07:37:05 PM

"What do ya' think?" I ask Ashi  "Good?"

QuoteAs the two of you eat and/or drink, you catch a bit of the conversation from a neighboring booth- some young people, talking in excited voices.

I listen over my shoulder.

Body?  That explains all the cops.  Wonder if it was one of Filcher's buddies that got cacked.

"It was good."

...Sounds like someone's died. If I'm lucky, a demon did it.  It could just be your average thug, but it could also be a demon.  And perhaps the dead body has a clue pertaining to the demon.  I think I'll check out the scene when I get the chance.

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: Alaric on May 10, 2007, 07:23:17 PM
Patch, Envoy, Steve:

Bruntman looks at Envoy, then gives a quick nod. "Might as well let 'im have his phone call." One of the cops carefully lets Envoy out of his cell and leads him to a phone.

He turns back to Steve. "Only living relative we know of is his sister, and we haven't been able to track her down. Would you mind telling us what kind of work he was doing for your company?"

This question gets a bit of a blush.  "Um, well, we don't know for sure really.  Dr. Holland contacted us a few months ago, said he had a great idea that could make us lots of money if we would fund his research.  Of course we jumped at the chance!  But he was very cagey and woudn't tell us what he was working on or show us anything until he was done.  He called IDT a few days ago to say it was ready and I came down to meet him."

I shift nervously before asking, "do you know if the person who did this was after his work?  My boss wondered if that might not be a possibility."

Glitch Girl

Viking

Patch's Story
Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 11, 2007, 04:52:53 AM
This question gets a bit of a blush.  "Um, well, we don't know for sure really.  Dr. Holland contacted us a few months ago, said he had a great idea that could make us lots of money if we would fund his research.  Of course we jumped at the chance!  But he was very cagey and woudn't tell us what he was working on or show us anything until he was done.  He called IDT a few days ago to say it was ready and I came down to meet him."

I shift nervously before asking, "do you know if the person who did this was after his work?  My boss wondered if that might not be a possibility."

Patch grins sardonically.  "Kinda hard to know if the person who did this was after his work, when we don't know what his work was."

He gets more serious as he continues.  "Still - does your boss have any reason to suspect someone in particular?  For that matter, does anyone at your company have any further knowledge about Dr. Holland, or his sister?  If your company had any further communication with Dr. Holland - checking in for status reports, that sort of thing - it might be helpful.  Especially if it gives us a lead on who Dr. Holland might have been associating with."

BlueBard

Frank's Story:

Frank grunts inscrutably

OOC: Can we move along the police interlude?  Frank's not going to be very talkative until the cop is gone, which means I have nothing to respond to.

Alaric

Patch, Envoy, Steve:

Patch- [spoiler]A sudden image flashes in your mind- you see a slightly overweight man with white hair and a beard holding some sort of pocket watch. You have a feeling of danger- you don't know if the man is dangerous, or in danger. It only lasts a fraction of a second.[/spoiler]

Steve- [spoiler]Unfortunately, you weren't directly involved in your company's previous communications with Dr. Holland. You do have the impression that he was being very secretive, and you doubt that your company will have much useful information.[/spoiler]

Envoy- [spoiler]"One moment, sir..." That was the operator.[/spoiler]

(Note that the phone has a dial, not buttons.)

Alaric

Hertzy, Frank, Ray:

The policeman seems a little confused. "I'll be right back," he says. He goes back to his car.

Alaric

Lizzie, Ashi:

(Before continuing with you two)

Ashi- [spoiler]Do you still have your sword out? You were concerend that making it disapear might draw attention, what are you doing with it?[/spoiler]

kkhohoho

Quote from: Alaric on May 11, 2007, 03:18:10 PM
Lizzie, Ashi:

(Before continuing with you two)

Ashi- [spoiler]Do you still have your sword out? You were concerend that making it disapear might draw attention, what are you doing with it?[/spoiler]
GM
[spoiler]It's still out, because if I made it dissapear, I might draw attention.  While eating, I had to put it down beside me.  Ashi isn't worried if someone steps on it because he can just make another sword reappear in case his swords get broken, unless you, the GM, state otherwise.[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Hertzy's Story

Hertzy will just wait for the policeman to return, rather impatiently, as he does not like his routine being further interrupted.

Alaric

Lizzie, Ashi:

As Lizzie attempts to continue listening to the nearby conversation.

"I heard he was some kind of-"

At that moment, a man in a trenchcoat walks up to your booth, his eyes on Ashi's sword.

"Hey, that sword- is that real?"

Spam

OOG: Oh, my bad. Simple mistake about the phone.  :P

IG:

Envoy's Story

"Thank you." Envoy says to the operator before being switched over.

Come on... Pick up...

kkhohoho

Quote from: Alaric on May 11, 2007, 07:28:49 PM
Lizzie, Ashi:

At that moment, a man in a trenchcoat walks up to your booth, his eyes on Ashi's sword.

Not again.  I can't even count the number of times people have asked me this question...

"Yes," I say in a rather unpleasent voice, "yes it is.  You are just one of the many people who have asked me that question.

Glitch Girl

Lizzie, Ashi:
Quote from: kkhohoho on May 11, 2007, 08:05:37 PM
Quote from: Alaric

"Yes," I say in a rather unpleasent voice, "yes it is.  You are just one of the many people who have asked me that question.

"Isn't it nice?" I chime in quickly.  "His father's going to absolutely love it when he gives it to him. I wasn't sure it was going to get here in time for the brithday party, but looks like we got lucky.  It's going to look so perfect in the collection."

GM [spoiler]If I can without the guy in the trenchcoat seeing me, I flash Ashi a black look and then go back to smiling at the guy.[/spoiler]

Panther_Gunn

Ray's Story:

Quote from: Alaric on May 11, 2007, 03:12:33 PMThe policeman seems a little confused. "I'll be right back," he says. He goes back to his car.

*muttering, mostly to himself* "I *knew* we shouldn't have waited for them.  This is going to turn out badly, I just know it.  Never involve the authorities unless absolutely necessary.  They just never understand...."

catwhowalksbyhimself

Hertzy's (reluctant) Story

"My dear boy, it is our duty as citizens to cooperate fully with the authorities.  If we want a peaceful, quiet city, than that is what we must do.  As for whether or not this will lead to trouble, that is easy enough for me to prove or disprove."

With that Hertzy consults the Watch yet again.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 11, 2007, 10:42:22 PMWith that Hertzy consults the Watch yet again.

Curiosity piqued, Ray trys to surrepititiously glance over the Dr.'s shoulder at the watch.

BlueBard

Frank's Story:

Frank says nothing.  His gaze continues to rest on the police officer.

There's something very wrong about this, he thinks.

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: Viking on May 11, 2007, 07:31:48 AM
Patch grins sardonically.  "Kinda hard to know if the person who did this was after his work, when we don't know what his work was."

He gets more serious as he continues.  "Still - does your boss have any reason to suspect someone in particular?  For that matter, does anyone at your company have any further knowledge about Dr. Holland, or his sister?  If your company had any further communication with Dr. Holland - checking in for status reports, that sort of thing - it might be helpful.  Especially if it gives us a lead on who Dr. Holland might have been associating with."

This gets another sheepish grin.  "Um, like I said, he was being real secretive about what he was working on.  If its based on his previous work my division would be the one to work with is device, and we didn't know anything about it.  In fact, he eventually got so irritable about the few times that we called for updates that we kind of wound up leaving him alone.

"And I'm very sorry, but I haven't heard anything about a sister."

|