• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Zulu's art

Started by zuludelta, April 27, 2007, 06:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

zuludelta

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on July 18, 2007, 07:04:24 AM
I thought the inverted flag was a sign of surrender . . .

It might be in other countries I am unfamiliar with, although from what I've read, most countries consider the inverted flag as appropriate as a distress signal (this is where its use in  popular protest originates from... during the 1969s and 1970s, some civil rights groups of various affiliations would display an inverted flag to symbolize their assertion that their particular segment of society was being imperiled). Obviously, you can't do that with some other countries' flag designs (Japan, for instance, would look the same inverted or upright). In my native Philippines, an inverted flag means something else entirely: when inverted (with the red side on top), it is used to indicate that the nation is in a state of war.

Quote from: psychopanda on July 18, 2007, 07:28:10 AM
I like it, the design is very smooth. It would look great on an album cover or something. If I had to nitpick on something, I'd say the left hand looks a little off. The shading is a little too thick on the fingers. That's if I had to nitpick, which I don't feel like I really need to do.

Strangely enough, the more I look at it, the less satisfied I am with the Ladytron pic. I'm actually thinking of re-doing it from the ground-up. I think it's probably because I went with the first pose I came up with in the hopes that with spontaneity would come with it some energy (unlike the Grifter image, where I went through around 3 or 4 poses before settling on one that I liked)... she doesn't look angry enough to me. 

zuludelta

I wasn't too happy with how the final Ladytron image came out so I spent last night re-doing it:

EDIT: Image updated, check below for the new image

I'm a bit more satisfied with how this one turned out but I might make some more changes to it as I round out the rest of the WildCATs team and assemble them into one larger image.

UnkoMan

That first Ladytron, I love. Her right foot is a bit small, it seems. Other than that I don't know what you didn't like. She looks great.

This second one, however, I don't like as much. The head is nice, but the neck ends up looking super thick. Obviously, it would be, but with the thinness of her apendages, it seems odd. Her torso also seems very wide. And then she's just got the spinal collum connector. Very Terminator. Personally I prefer my Ladytron to be more "motorbike," if that makes sense. I think something inbetween (similar to the first image) would just seem a bit more natural.

Grifter looks cool too. I don't even like the WildCATS, mostly (But I knew them from the cartoon. I didn't have time for Image comics, except the Maxx. Except I love Ladytron anyhow.) but I look forward to seeing your interpretations.

zuludelta

Quote from: UnkoMan on July 19, 2007, 01:45:08 PM
This second one, however, I don't like as much. The head is nice, but the neck ends up looking super thick. Obviously, it would be, but with the thinness of her apendages, it seems odd. Her torso also seems very wide. And then she's just got the spinal collum connector. Very Terminator. Personally I prefer my Ladytron to be more "motorbike," if that makes sense. I think something inbetween (similar to the first image) would just seem a bit more natural.

All good points. You're right about the thickness of the neck being a bit of a distraction, and I'll see if I can fill out her torso a bit. As I said, I'm not entirely finished with it, but the second version is probably a good approximation of the final look I'm working towards... the pose and the general "attitude" seems like a better fit with the Grifter image to me.

BTW, I was a huge Maxx fan back in the day, myself.

Tortuga

I like both Ladytrons for different reasons.

Ladytron A's pose has more attitude.  She also looks more sleek.  It's a good balance of tech and humanoid.  Her face, especially the eyes, are a big part of the attitude look.

Ladytron B simply looks more mean.  The tech parts are more detailed, and of course, there's the gun.  She does seem a bit too thick, but that also adds to the meanness of the design.

I'm not familiar with the original character, but I think both pics are well designed.

zuludelta

Here's an updated Ladytron: narrower shoulders and neck, added some wiring to fill out her midsection (they're supposed to represent the various nerve plexi in the human body)

I've started work on Zealot, but I'm just tossing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks, I don't want to go the conventional route and draw her as just another half-naked Amazon type.

zuludelta

Well, here's my take on Zealot:

I really wanted to get away from the original Zealot design by Jim Lee... it's just so dated, not to mention impractical and ridiculous (even by 1990s comic book standards). Zealot is supposed to be a 5 000 year old warrior who's played a part in every major human conflict, so it doesn't make sense that she would go to battle in a lycra/spandex bikini armed with nothing but shoulderpads, a katana and some throwing blades. With the re-design, I gave her an AK-47, perhaps the most reliable firearm in the history of modern warfare (I figure somebody with her experience would prefer practicality over flashier, newer weapons) and I sort of combined the visual elements of the katana and throwing blades and gave her a kukri (Nepalese curved dagger). Her "costume" is just practical, loosefitting garb but I kept the colour-scheme from the original. I also did an "Ultimate Nick Fury" by giving her African/South Asian features. No real motivation behind it, outside of reasons of aesthetic variety (and because it fits in with the theme established by the kukri and the bindi marking on her forehead).

Here's how the composite image is looking so far (I haven't decided on a background as of yet):

Panther_Gunn

Without any real first-hand experience with them, the clip on the AK looks a tad on the longish side.  I don't know if they had really extended clips, but it just looks to be out of proportion with it.  Again, I could be wrong.  ;)

UnkoMan

I really like that Zealot.

I'm going to be honest... I hate Jim Lee's original character designs. I thought his X-Men costumes were weak (especially Cyclops). And, to be honest, I don't even like his art. So really, anything you did I would have thought an improvement.

But this really works. That red sash she's wearing? Is that a sort of poncho deal? Or more like a cloak? If it's too cape like it would obviously be impractical, so I'm assuming it's a sort of lose fitting garb. Possibly she could use it to conceal her weapons, back mounted. She does look like a tough warrior, though.

The composite picture looks great, but I'd reposition Ladytron (who looks just dandy now). Grifter's gun kind of merges into her neck.

zuludelta

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on July 22, 2007, 07:23:19 PM
Without any real first-hand experience with them, the clip on the AK looks a tad on the longish side.  I don't know if they had really extended clips, but it just looks to be out of proportion with it.  Again, I could be wrong.  ;)

I based it on the images over at the online encyclopedia of modern firearms. It did appear long to me too (the only other real reference I had was the AK-47 from the 1985 "Snow Serpent" GI Joe action figure) but I guess that's what it really looks like. And speaking of that firearms site, I see a lot of cover artists using the pics over there as reference, since there's no mistaking the angle that some of them are in (and really some of the more obscure weapons there you can't find pics of anywhere else on the 'net): definitely Tim Bradstreet for some of his Punisher covers, and I think Brian Bolland and a guy whose name I forget who worked on an OniPress book. Also (and I'm not sure who plagiarized who), the text descriptions for some of the firearms are almost the same, line for line, as those seen in the manual for the PC game Rainbow Six 3: Ravenshield.

Quote from: UnkoMan on July 22, 2007, 07:45:39 PM
That red sash she's wearing? Is that a sort of poncho deal?

... The composite picture looks great, but I'd reposition Ladytron (who looks just dandy now). Grifter's gun kind of merges into her neck.

That sash-type thing is a poncho, but moved to the side and back to accommodate her left arm resting on the rifle. I think I got the idea from seeing a picture of some Zapatistas wearing similar poncho-like tops while patrolling Chiapas, Mexico.

Noticed the gun merging into Ladytron's head... I'm thinking of either recolouring Grifter's pistol so it stands out from the background or repositioning Ladytron as you suggested.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! 

zuludelta

Well, here's my take on Spartan:

I never really liked the android Spartan/John Colt/Hadrian until the latter part of the second Wildcats series, when he took over the Jacob Marlowe identity and gave up the costumed superheroics to become the CEO of the HALO corporation. It seems to make so much more sense that a super-intelligent android with access to alien technology would try to bring about real change and world peace by improving the economic situation of the world instead of punching supervillains in pointless battle after pointless battle. My re-design is a nod to that aspect of Spartan, although I added electrodes on his skin to keep the android quality (and the blue turtleneck is supposed to be reminiscent of his old high-collar costume).

And here's Maul:

Instead of designing him as a guy who could increase his size and strength (not exactly my favourite power set) with an accompanying decrease in mental capacity, I went another route by giving him the power to de-evolve himself at will into a stronger, but less intelligent ape-like primal state (talk about "gorilla" warfare!). While I was drawing him, it struck me that it was probably Jim Lee's intent to do Maul as an homage to the Incredible Hulk. Like the Hulk, Maul had an intelligent human alter-ego and a superheroic identity with childlike intelligence. Also, the colour scheme is the same, although Lee reversed the colours with Maul (Hulk = green skin and purple pants; Maul= purple skin and green bodysuit). 

Here's the temporary group shot, I haven't figured out what background I'll make (maybe an outline of the city highlighting the unique shape of the HALO building?):

Also, I had so much fun designing and drawing these guys I might go on ahead and do my versions of my least favourite WildCATs, Warblade and Voodoo, just to fill out the roster.

psychopanda

Nice work, I like reading your thoughts on what you're doing.

Two comments to make.

Zealot. Loose fitting clothes are horrible for combat. The less your opponent has to grab, the better off you are. Also, if running through brush, the less likely you're going to get hung up on a tree. Unfortunately, it seems almost evey urban superhero has learned this by now and therefore wears tight-fitting spy-clothes. So, I'm actually glad to see your Zealot in something different.

Maul. He's not doing it for me. Don't know if you've ever seen the cartoon "Grape Ape", but he's bound to draw comparisons. I think the devolved approach is interesting. His colors don't seem to mesh well with the rest of the team though. Also, with a name like "Maul", I was really hoping to see some sort of close-combat expert. Not sure what melee weapon you would give a big gorilla, nor if it would even be practical on a team like this.

zuludelta

Quote from: psychopanda on July 23, 2007, 07:28:42 AM
Zealot. Loose fitting clothes are horrible for combat. The less your opponent has to grab, the better off you are. Also, if running through brush, the less likely you're going to get hung up on a tree. Unfortunately, it seems almost evey urban superhero has learned this by now and therefore wears tight-fitting spy-clothes. So, I'm actually glad to see your Zealot in something different.

Good points, but as I said earlier, the inspiration for her costume was a picture I saw of Mexican insurgents... so it was ponchos, peasant's trousers, that sort of thing. Another thing I sort of referred to were images of Afghan guerrillas. From a visual and conceptual standpoint, something was appealing to me about the idea of "casual soldiers" with little to no formal training (but with a lifetime of battlefield experience), dressed in loose-fitting traditional garb, and armed with 40 year-old Russian assault rifles going toe-to-toe with and holding off soldiers armed with the best in 21st century weapons tech. 

Quote from: psychopanda on July 23, 2007, 07:28:42 AMMaul. He's not doing it for me. Don't know if you've ever seen the cartoon "Grape Ape", but he's bound to draw comparisons. I think the devolved approach is interesting. His colors don't seem to mesh well with the rest of the team though.

Holy crap! Never saw the cartoon but the image must have filtered through my subconscious somehow. I agree that the colours don't mesh well with the rest of the team, and I was this close to changing him to a more reasonable colour scheme. The more I think about it, the more I feel like maybe he should be coloured a russet-brown (sort of like an orangutan). What do you think?

psychopanda

Quote from: zuludelta on July 23, 2007, 03:06:09 PM
Good points, but as I said earlier, the inspiration for her costume was a picture I saw of Mexican insurgents... so it was ponchos, peasant's trousers, that sort of thing. Another thing I sort of referred to were images of Afghan guerrillas.
The more I think about it, the more I feel like maybe he should be coloured a russet-brown (sort of like an orangutan). What do you think?

Zealot's costume, I see where you're going design-wise. Guerillas don't have a standard military uniform (nor would they want one, as it's a surefire way to get singled out). I think in her description you mentioned her garb as being 'more practical' and 'better than close-fitting spandex', which set off the little bell in my head about close fitting clothes being more functional. I think we both agree that the design works (wonderfully), I just got hung up on the words.  ;)

Colors for Maul...yeah, russet-brown would probably work better. Another thing that bugs me about the colors, is it looks sort of Beast-Boy (Changeling-Teen Titan's) like, which you probably want to stay away from.

Edit to add: A couple background ideas: on the landing deck of an Aircraft carrier, in a Mission Control room (very dark with computer monitors, radar displays, and glass panels in the background), or standing in front of the loading deck of a big carrier plane.

zuludelta

I was gonna recolour Maul reddish-brown to get away from the Grape Ape comparison but then I remembered another Hanna-Barbera character... Magilla Gorilla! Damn you Hanna-Barbera and your multi-coloured apes!

Anyway, I just went ahead and coloured him gray... it's better fit with the rest of the team anyway:

Great suggestion using a mission control room for the background 'panda. It's a good excuse for me to use more red in the image (I'm on a big "red-green" colour scheme kick), what with all the computer dispalys and such that I can use. Thanks!

UnkoMan

About Maul... the devolving idea is great. I could see him being a tactical expert in his human form, and struggling to remember his set plans in his animal state. The longer he stays, the more primal he becomes. Eventually the team may have to comb the jungle looking for him.

Well I have always loved purple gorillas, and think they are awesome, the more standard grey does fit much better with this team. In fact... Ladytron's design being so close to the original is almost starting to look odd next to the rest. Granted, there's nothing wrong with that.

As for background... mission control centre could work, but to me they seem almost like they have just set down some sorta opressive forces in a third world country, and have bursted into the final leader's HQ, Spartan coming down from a helicopter to negotiate "peaceful" surrender.

psychopanda

I think Maul's grey is working a lot better, especially when he's in the group shot. Forgot to mention it before, but I love his cap. The goggles are a nice touch too.

I like Unko's comments. Maul devolving and losing his intelligence is also a nod back to the original Maul (who lost his intelligence as he got bigger). That could lend some humor or be pretty serious, depending on how the writer wants to play it. He's got a nice story to go with his background suggestion too.

zuludelta

Well, here's the final image:

Photobucket's being a real pain so I went to Imageshack to host it. I managed to incorporate both unko's and psychopanda's suggestions for the background by having them teleport into a jungle setting, leaving a "teleport door" to peek through to show their mission control centre (Spartan did gain Void's teleportation powers after absorbing her consciousness).

Panther_Gunn

I like the final pic, but it's too bad that so much of the smaller details get lost at that size (yes, I did look at the full size pic on the link  ;)).  Spartan & Zealot seem to suffer the most.  Is there any way to help that come through better?

zuludelta

Well, the original image is 2048 x 1536 at 300 dpi (which I reduced from 5120 x 3840 ... it was so huge everything in Photoshop just slowed down to a crawl). I suppose I can do the image reduction in increments, using the sharpen tool at every stop, but even then, I'm not sure if the results would be significantly different. Glad you like the final pic!   

EDIT: Photobucket is finally back up, so here's another link to the 1024 x 768-sized image, with none of Imageshack's pesky pop-ups:

and of course, the obligatory wallpaper (you can use the original image as a wallpaper too, I guess, although I personally don't like "busy" wallpapers all that much:

psychopanda

PG's "new" avatar image made me laugh!  :P

Sweet job ZD. They all look wonderful on that backdrop design!

zuludelta

Glad you like the WildCATs piece 'panda!

Here's a non-superhero piece:

original pencils:

final image:

The pencil sketch is taken from my old sketchbooks that I used to document my life as a newly arrived immigrant in Canada (the subject of the above 2-minute thumbnail sketch was some random guy at the fees line-up at Simon Fraser University)... I'd had about 3 years worth of random drawings, sketches, and gag strips by the time my sketchbooks were stolen (they were in my knapsack which got jacked at a bus station), but I fortunately managed to scan this one prior to the theft. I totally forgot about it until today, while I was rooting through some old zip files in one of my back-up CDs, so I decided to fire up Photoshop and do a quick paint job over it (while fixing some of the more glaring anatomy issues).

psychopanda

I like how the intensity of the colors is pretty much consistent throughout. It gives a very calming effect to the piece. Nice job!

zuludelta

Thanks 'panda.

I'm a little burnt out on drawing comic book characters so I figured I'd do a self-portrait:

psychopanda

Nice job ZD, you look just like your picture except older. ;)

My eye tells me you need something on that wall. A little texture or posters.

zuludelta

Quote from: psychopanda on July 26, 2007, 09:46:45 AM
Nice job ZD, you look just like your picture except older. ;)

My eye tells me you need something on that wall. A little texture or posters.

Thanks for taking the time to look and give suggestions:

I didn't want to do any real texture on the wall, as I think it might detract from the "flatness" of the stylized look I'm trying to convey. Didn't apply any "ink outlines" to the additions (the cigarette buts, the poster) either, so that the focus would remain squarely on the figure.

psychopanda

Oh yeah, that picked it up a bit. What do you think about lowering the inensity on the graphiti just a tad? My eye keeps wandering up there. The added background is really helping to tell the rest of the story, now we can tell that you're sitting against a brick wall (most likely outside) and in some hip neighborhood where they have a Live show.

UnkoMan

Yeah, I think that background definately works. Makes it look like a completed picture. I'd probably push the "live!!!" along a bit, to crop off more of the exclamation marks. Right now it looks like you were purposefully trying to fit it into the picture.

I agree about lowering the inesity on the graphiti a bit, too.

No outlines on the background was a good choice. It does just what you intended. In fact, I'd say if you do more backgrounds in this style, keep it non outlined.

The tape holding the poster... I dunno. I like it, but at the same time, it's a bit too almost the same as the shadows. My only suggestion would be to maybe whiten it a bit more, but I also think that would ruin it. However, this is such a minor issue I'd say don't even worry about it and why did I bother to bring it up?

zuludelta

Thanks for the suggestions!

Updated:

Also, working on a "modern" (a.k.a. my version) of a Heroes for Hire team picture much like the previous WildCATs team image I made, I'm still planning out the thing, although I'm sure I'll be doing Luke Cage and Iron Fist from the original Heroes for Hire, Shang-Chi, Misty Knight, and Colleen Wing from the current team, and maybe some totally out of left field choice from the 1996 post-Onslaught Saga book, maybe Black Knight or Hercules, or even She-Hulk.

psychopanda

Hmm, have you ever thought about doing a totally off-the-path team, like the Defenders or Champions? I happen to like the old characters as they were, but it'd also be pretty neat to see some of the older stuff get "Zulu-ized". ;)

|