• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

iPod Questions? Help!?

Started by Mowgli, April 11, 2007, 04:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mowgli

Hey there! I have a Nano and I just got my girlfriend a Nano as well. Here are the questions:

- Can we both use one copy of iTunes on my comp to load songs onto each iPod seperately?
- How do I upload just one playlist to an iPod (instead of synching the whole library each time iTunes starts?

Please, any help would be appreciated, as the iTunes and iPod help don't really "help" at all.  :(

Spring Heeled Jack

As I've recently discovered, if you change your Nano to "manual sync", then you can use a single copy of iTunes for more than one iPod.

As for playlists, I'm not sure.

Mowgli

Cool, but where do I find "manual synch"?

And thanks for the help! =)

Spring Heeled Jack

I found it in the latest version of iTunes (iTunes 7, I think it is). I don't have a Nano, but I'm assuming the software works basically the same. When you plug in the Nano and open iTunes, you'll find a summary of your iPod under "Devices". Under Options you'll see "Manually manage music". Clicking that will prompt you to permit or deny the erasure of everything on your Nano--it's a nuisance to switch from automatic to manual file managing because of this, but it's necessary, and you really only have to do it once. Think of it as a reason to organize your files better (or a reason to spend an hour or two staring at the wall). I always have everything backed up to DVD, so it's not a problem for me to clean out my iPod every few months.

By manually managing your files you can connect to any iTunes, on any computer, without worrying about the computer readjusting everything to reflect the iTunes library on the hard drive. It also prevents music files from being copied into the iTunes library, in case, like me, you keep your MP3s and such elsewhere on the hard drive.

I'm not sure if that's helpful or not, but let me know and I'll try again if not. :D

gdaybloke

As for the playlists, you can build playlists in iTunes, and then set it to upload specific playlists. Me, I spend all my time listening to comic, VS, and other geeky podcasts. Heh.

Mowgli

Thanls guys. That "manual" setting was exactly what I was looking for. That "auto synch" was making life impossible for two ipods.  :blink: