• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

installing sounds

Started by Previsionary, April 07, 2007, 05:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Previsionary

Does anyone remember how to correctly install sound (effects) in ffvttr? I knew at one point, but it's been awhile...so...lend a hand, aye?

catwhowalksbyhimself

I managed to do it recently, but, at least in  :ffvstr: , it isn't easy and it involves a bit of hex editing, due to some serious issues with FFEdit.

If you're still interested, I can tell you what I did.

Previsionary

hex editing? That doesn't sound *too* bad. Go ahead and reveal your secret, cat.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm assuming you're taking about sound effects for cutscenes and missions and stuff, right?

Anyway, go to the sounds tab, add a sound and select it.  I'm sure you've already tried this and discovered that the sound wound play.

No, open sounds.dat in a hex editor and found the entry for your sound.  You should be able to search for the name you've chosen.  Found the directory for the sound and hex everything before the misc (or whatever directory inside the sound directory you've put it, but it must be inside sounds, I think) to 00.  I think that's the right way

If this doesn't work, then start with the begining of the directory and hex the part after the misc, turning all the leftover bits in 00.

I can't remember which is the correct one, but I guarantee one of them works.

Previsionary

Thanks for the help, cat; but I'm afraid that both methods didn't work for me unless I did it wrong. Turning (or deleting) the spaces before "misc" ended up crashing ffedit and the game and erasing anything after misc just removed reference to the wav file.

catwhowalksbyhimself

No, you can't delete them.

You have to be VERY careful to overwrite only.  Adding or deleting any number of characters causes crashing.  Not pleasant.

You have to replace them with 00.  One set for each space.

I did warn that this wouldn't be all that simple.

Anyway, I'll try it again myself and let you know which way it is.  I've done it before, so I know it works.