• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

30 min challenge

Started by Carravaggio, March 26, 2007, 06:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carravaggio

i was talking to a friend of mine over skype last night, when he suggested we try a small exercise, 30 mins to draw, in photoshop a character based off a simple descriptive sentence.
here's mine:

the sentence went something like: a flawed anti hero, betrayed by the world yet its saviour, he is crippled in some way

the result was Raven, Avatar of Night, a vigilante whose desire for justice was so great it called to primeval forces of old. these forced, akin to daemons, offered Raven to judge his fellow man, and dictate their sentence. he did so with relish, feeling he was at last able to save mankind from itself. however the forces would not stop, demanding he judge everyone, for even the most mundane crimes.
when he refused, they judged him, and turned him into their executioner. they replaced his hands with talons that kill the truly evil with a touch. they put out his eyes so he would not be swayed by material concerns, and gave him a trio of crows with which to ferry the sould of the damned back to the spirit world.

we decided to make this challenge a regular weekly thing. i haven't had much drive or time to draw lately, i found skinning has been taking precedence, but it was very rewarding to get back on the wagon so to speak. i'd encourage anyone and everyone so inclined to give something like this a try, its great to keep your hand in practice, and you might find yourself creating a cool character or two.  ^_^

Protomorph

Sword

cool artwork. Easy solution though:
Find a mystical villain or hero who can take you to the plane where these primeval forces are, and execute them for the sins committed.

Carravaggio

well its Wednesday night again, which means its 30 minute challenge time. the first brief was so disastrous we scrapped our images and tried a new topic. we ept it simpler, cosmic level supervillain.
mine was a sea creature of superman's calibre who rules the oceans of the universe...

Sea God! Rocketed from his doomed native ocean to one on a distant planet, he found the high levels of oxygen (?) in the water somehow augmented his strength and power a thousandfold! So naturally he takes command and kills anyone who looks at him cock eyed. His only weakness is the coral chunks from his home world that somehow made their way to his new home in the wake of his journey.

yeah i went with colour this time, something i don't usually try, but i enjoyed it. what i learned tonight: a limited colour palate limits the workload and can give you a freedom to create shapes and tone that a myriad of hues doesn't allow. Plus adding a singular opposing or unique colour element into the limited palate can give an immensely efficient effect (the pink fins for example)

UnkoMan

And I thought the crow guy was cool.

This is what I should have done for Benton grey's avatar. Holy moley. The pink fins really do stand out against the blue hues, and they look cool, although the ones on his hips look a bit tutuish. I'd probably have elongated them even more to something resembling the bottom of a toga... Okay, a skirt, but a manly skirt.

Anyhow, this is sweet. The backstory is laughs too.

Alaric

That picture is absolutely amazing.

I think you should come up with a second, less derivitive, background story, though. As amusing as that one is, that picture's good enough to deserve something more original.

Carravaggio

been a while since i had a chance to do the 30 min challenge, lots of RL stuff with little end in sight.
Still ad a bash at it last week, the premise was to reimagine some superheroes. Not a very challenging one, i admit. This is the American Trinity, three mighty heroes baded together to protect etc. There is the more than mortal shield slinger, known as the Homelander. Next up is a child of the computer age who put his genius towards the fabrication of an advanced robotic combat suit, he is the Technocrat. Finally the twin hammer wielding Stormcaller, a weather deity from a far off realm.
When my scanner is working again (that is when i throw it out and buy a new damn scanner) i'd like to draw and colour this composition properly.
Also i've decided to skin these guys, look for them in my skins thread...uh...soon...ish. Maybe.

Quote from: Alaric on April 04, 2007, 08:36:46 AM
That picture is absolutely amazing.
I think you should come up with a second, less derivitive, background story, though. As amusing as that one is, that picture's good enough to deserve something more original.
Thanks for the encouragement, Alaric, I'll do just that. In fact I'm reworking this pic in my free time up to a more professional standard.

UnfluffyBunny

so ultimate thor met steel, captain america met judge dredd, and iron man met positron? :P

in all seriousnss looks cool :) this thread if fun ^_^

UnkoMan

I've got to say, Homelander's by far my favourite. He looks rad. The other two are a bit too derivative. Of course, it's hard not to be... And that's not to say they aren't cool. Homelander just looks more unique. I love that shield.

zuludelta

The first image is my favourite... sort of reminds me of Ashley Wood's work.

As for the American Trinity... they really look like they were designed around the meshes that they're going to be eventually skinned on (Homelander = a hex of Grenadier's Entwademeila mesh, Technocrat = tommyboy's classic Ironman, Stormcaller = TJ's male_2hammers). Great stuff nonetheless, but the obvious mesh connection can be a bit of a distraction (only because I keep picturing them as skins and meshes... I'm sure people who have no idea what those meshes look like have no such distraction impinging on their perception).

Nymph

They all look of the african heritage.....like brothers almost and it is soo cool! The Man in the suit looks like he could be related to Stormcaller just because they are bulky....and the Homelander along with Stormcaller look like brothers just because they could pass as it.

umm.......when you envisioned the Homelander you were thinking Capt. America right?? Is there an Australian equivalent to him??

Spam

Very nice work, Carravagio. Everything looks really good. My favorite has to be the aquatic Superman thing. That's really cool.  :D

FORIAMSPAM!

detourne_me

Quote from: zuludelta on May 02, 2007, 12:15:04 PM
The first image is my favourite... sort of reminds me of Ashley Wood's work.

That's what I said too :D

Revenant

I love seeing your artwork Carr.. your drawing style has so much movement and power.  Keep posting more!!

Carravaggio

well...
i sure have been busy. I hate the fact that I haven't had time to draw in months. This is my final year of tertiary education (of eight!) and they have decided to pile the work on. the last assignment i handed in a few days ago was over 30 pages in length. i have another due on friday, and two due next month, one of which is required to be about 15 000 words.
all this to get a career in which i'll be paid less than what i am worth. some days i wish i had learned a trade instead.
sigh
anyhoo, i managed to wrangle and hour or two of time for myself, and decided to catch up with my old skype buddy. the theme was 'retro'.
he managed this awesome 50's buck rogers style spaceman/superhero that i wish i could show you, while i went the non-organic route...

i like rusty iron giant look, i might revisit something of this sort later...yeah right, like i have the damn time. Turns out because of a lax lecturer who was less than explicit with what he expects from assignments under his tyrannical reign, i might have to repeat his class. If you are going to deduct marks for paragraphs that run over 5-7 sentences TELL ME THAT BEFORE I HAND MY PAPER IN!
i have a few descriptive words about him but i know FR is a family board...so if i do have to retake that course, it will put my life on hold for six months. on the up side i will have a heap of free time, during which i intend to really push myself artistically. so even that stormy could has some semblance of a silver lining...
I thought bitching about this would give me some sort of carthartic feeling but really, im just damn mad.
the drawing helped tho.

Tortuga

Great style and designs, Carravaggio!

MJB

Love the drawing Carravaggio! So why can't you show us your friends drawing? Invite him to join FR and show it off. The more the merrier. ;)

-MJB

zuludelta

The overwhelming Iron Giant influence is a bit distracting, but that doesn't really detract from a great image. Good job!

MACH 3

Carravaggio, you rock! That is all.