• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Tomato's artwork: An Avatar Christmas (12/25)

Started by Tomato, March 20, 2007, 05:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

Now that I'm finally satified with how my influx skins have turned out, It's about time I started work on a project I've been meaning to get to for awhile... Alternate Avatar designs. I finished Billdamn already, but I've had a few others in mind for awhile that I've wanted to get done and just haven't gotten around to.

The first belongs to someone who, in my opinion, has come a very long way in a short time. He's earned my respect as a person and an artist, and as such I feel he deserves a token of that respect.

Cookie to the first one to guess (shouldn't be too hard, it's kinda obvious :P )

UnkoMan

Horray for alternate avatars! Ugh, I wish I had time to do more of mine. There are so many great ones to play with.

As for this, I'm gonna guess... Pwime. I dig the mask on this. Can't wait to see more.

Tomato

Quote from: UnkoMan on March 20, 2007, 10:48:47 PM
Horray for alternate avatars! Ugh, I wish I had time to do more of mine. There are so many great ones to play with.

As for this, I'm gonna guess... Pwime. I dig the mask on this. Can't wait to see more.

Cookie for you, Unko. My plan is to assemble mesh pieces what I'd like to use for him today, then work on the next design tonight.

Tomato

I've been dreading the task of this redesign, because the style of the artist as well as the avatar are both so far outside my comfort zone that I had a very hard time coming up with a concept that wasn't completely ludicrus. Very intimidating, but also rather fun.

All things considered, it came out rather well. Muck better then the skeleton tatoos idiocy I attempted first

Revenant

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The Pwime

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

dude, those are AWESOME!  I'm really digging the...well, everything about mine!  There's no part in particular that I can say is my favourite...I love the entire design.  The mask, the boots, the belt, the new vest, the gloves...

*joygasm*  :D

Tomato

I take it you like them >P

I think I'm going to take a breather for the moment on the designs... Getting my Pwime hex is starting to become a hassle, and Revenant's (yes, it was revenant) aint gonna be much better >.<

Tomato

I haven't really felt up to finishing the revenant skin recently for some reason, and I've been having problems coming up with Ideas for the next avatar design (I know who I want to do, but putting my spin on it is becoming a pain) So I fell back on coloring an older piece. The design is supposed to be a more... Well "Final Fantasy"-ish version, but alot less chaotic.

BatWing

nice work of art potato! :thumbup:

i mean tomato

Tomato

Doesn't look half as good scanned as it does on paper, but it should give you guys an idea of what I'm working on.

UnkoMan

Looking forward to seeing that skinned up. I like this redesign a lot. There's a lot of design elements from the original, but just enough change to be something unique.

AfghanAnt

Wow, I really love the design. It's very sleek. I really am looking forward to you skinning it if you do.

Tomato

Quote from: AfghanAnt on May 10, 2007, 02:36:34 PM
Wow, I really love the design. It's very sleek. I really am looking forward to you skinning it when you do.

Normally I try not to correct people like this, but somehow I don't think AA will mind much.  :P

The Pwime

awesome stuff!  AA looks very nice on paper, so I can only imagine that he'll look even better in game.  :)

Tomato

This only took me what, 2 weeks? Grah, stupid Finals/Work! (Well, ok, just as much was me being lazy and playing FFXII for several hours every day, but still!)

This is Synthos, Syn/UFB's Avatar Redesign. It has always perplexed me that for a guy who has done so much good for the community (despite the body vampire thing), only has a half-dozen or so avatars, most of which he designed. So, because I respect him for all the aid he's given both the community and me personally, he deserves this.

Oh, and ignore the tatoos on the left arm, they're a placeholder for whatever design I decide to steal off google. I'm not proud, I know I suck at tatoos.

UnkoMan

I really ought to redo this version of his avatar some time, instead of the "guy in hood" version I did before. He has enough of those.

This is an interesting take. I absolutely love that helmet. It's great. And then the rest of him is pretty much just casual wear. I don't know if brown shoes and belt go so well, though. If you asked fashion people they would tell you it's a no no, but I sometimes wear brown a black. Still, if they were redder they'd fit in more and tie it all together, in my opinion.

The casual clothes are a little jarring to me, also, what with the cape/mask looking so delightfully super villain. I am very curious to see what this will look like skinned.

The Pwime

i always assumed that the "guy in the hood" version was what Syn's current host bodies appeared like, and that the robot-y one was the real Synthos himself, in his true body.

Did I get it right?

(i forgot to mention, the design is looking pretty darn sweet.  I agree with Unko on the helmet: it's awesome, and i also really like the cape and torso)

Tomato

Quote from: UnkoMan on May 21, 2007, 08:02:34 AM
I really ought to redo this version of his avatar some time, instead of the "guy in hood" version I did before. He has enough of those.

This is an interesting take. I absolutely love that helmet. It's great. And then the rest of him is pretty much just casual wear. I don't know if brown shoes and belt go so well, though. If you asked fashion people they would tell you it's a no no, but I sometimes wear brown a black. Still, if they were redder they'd fit in more and tie it all together, in my opinion.

The casual clothes are a little jarring to me, also, what with the cape/mask looking so delightfully super villain. I am very curious to see what this will look like skinned.

Yeah, I wasn't happy with how the brown turned out eithor... basically I wanted some of it running around to balance the skin tone of the arm, but it didn't turn out how I planned. What I'm probably going to do is chance the color, probably to a red to match the rest of the outfit. The boots are also going to be redone, I changed my mind on them after I'd inked them (grrreth) so I couldn't really do anything... They're going to go over the pants, with straps or laces on them or something (I'll leave what for when I actually skin it)

I think you're right about the jarring thing, though I do think once it's actually skinned it'll be much less so, since the pants will probably have a more spandex feel when skinned.

UnkoMan

Even if they don't, I think the boots over the pants will probably be enough to cancel it. Actually, if you wanted you could make shorter boots, and have the sort of... army puff where the pants tuck in. Give him a vaugely military feel... I'm not sure how that'd come across.

But the loose pants just seems too casual. I realize that is what bothered me the most. Makes him look like an average street thug from the waist down. I can't wait to see it skinned up, though, and I'm sure any little design quirks'll be fixed up nicely.

Tomato

This was an attempt to color something in a little more of an Anime-esque/Cell-shaded fashion, since a majority of my coloring jobs, whether by hand or digital, tend to be more blended, like I would with a FF skin. The Character is "Darek," though those familiar with my current stuff would know him better as "Ch'nybe"

I've got a few more Influx sketches/redesigns I've been working on recently, so I might be coloring them up in between working on skins again. Do you guys think I'm better off with my older coloring style, or the Ultra-cellshading of this one?

BatWing

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Raijin on September 07, 2007, 10:12:43 PM
dante and cloud look alike

I don't see either, just because he has a trenchcoat and a big sword doesn't make him either of those character look-a-like.

I love the evolution of your art. This is a very nice rendering, I look forward to seeing this as a skin.

Tomato

Quote from: AfghanAnt on September 08, 2007, 03:20:51 PM
I love the evolution of your art. This is a very nice rendering, I look forward to seeing this as a skin.

Meh, it'll be awhile before I get this done as a skin... I'd want to mesh out my own pieces for him, and I have some other stuff I need to work on first...

Oh and Rajin? I can honestly say I really wish this character grew out of a Dante or Cloud ripoff, but he didn't. If you must know, the original design, back when I was 10 or so, came from putting Peter Pan in the clothes of a heartless from KH1.

You think I'm joking. I am not.

Reepicheep

Pikachu ripoff.

Looks awesome. I love the style you've given him!

BatWing

yeah just kidding about the dante and cloud look alike.
cloud doesn't hae a curve sword
dante has a cooler hair lol
yes after playin deil may cry 1 and 3 i got insane with it :wacko:

The Pwime

strongly debate-able.  dante's white, long hair is SO generic, nowadays...

Tomato

What's saddest is that this isn't the first time I've been accused of Dante rippoff, and I've never even seen the character O.o

But anyway, I should have another character sketch started up by eithor tomorrow or this weekend, depending on school. I'm going to use my more normal style, and I plan on reinstalling open canvas, which should make things go by a bit quicker.

Reepicheep

Quote from: The Pwime on September 11, 2007, 06:22:49 PM
strongly debate-able.  dante's white, long hair is SO generic, nowadays...

Generic? We call it 'fasionable'.

Tomato

These aren't as spiffy as the last one, but they aren't bad...

Tomato

Darek-Young (For the Kingdom Hearts Elite RPG)

Sai (Influx Baddie)

I have new Designs for Red Ant and Mahty, but those'll have to wait until next time.

Tomato

THE IMAGE IS 1200x800 56K USERS BEWARE

This was just a little something I put together to adorn my desktop, and I thought you guys might get a kick out of it as well. I plan on adding several more characters (I'm focusing on versions of Carrivagio, Hellscorp, and Edgar Hammond at the moment, because the villains are outnumbered... just a wee bit  :blink:) I'd like to make this sort of an ongoing personal project, and put as many avatars on here as I can (There are something like 23 avatars here, my goal is to top 100. Not realistic possibly, but I'm having fun with it so meh)

I have made a list of where all the skins+meshes come from for those of you who want to track some of them down, or in case something stands out for your work.

If your avatar is on here and you'd like me to eithor take it off or use another variation, or even if you just want me to add your avatar on here, PM me or email my account at tomatoisjp@gmail.com.

Heroes:

Afghan Ant- Afghan_Ant_classic by me, skin by Afghan Ant
Captain Spud- Irrational's male_cape (didn't have the proper mesh on hand when I put this together, but I'll get it, I swear!) Skin is by Courtnall 6
Cardmaster- Hex of Ink's Gambit mesh, skin is by Courtnall 6
Courtnall 6- C6_upgrade by Lord Ehmsidy,skin by Courtnall 6
Detourne Me- Mesh by Ink, skin by Matrix
Figure Fan- Plastic_Man mesh by Texas Jack, skin by Figure Fan
Glitch Girl- Glitch_Girl hex by Interceptor and Aphex, Skin is by Glitch Girl
House Quake- Male_stocky_effects by Valander, Skin is by House Quake
Mike B7- Mesh by Renegade, Skin by Courtnall 6
MJB- Male_basic_effects by Irrational, skin by Courtnall 6
Pwime- Vx_male_nomouth by Vertex, skin by Pwime
Revenant- Male_basic_effects by irrational, skin by Revenant
Super Cracker- Super_cracker_ink by Ink, skin by Courtnall 6
Tomato- Mesh by me, skin by me.
Unkoman- Skope of Ren's E2 Superman, with segments from Tommyboy, Ren, and Texas Jack. Skin by Unkoman

Villains:

Kommando- Hex of the Kommando mesh by Gni, skin by Courtnall 6
Podmark- Deadpool_muscular by Shevek, skin by Courtnall 6
Randy Rippoff- Mesh by Renegade, skin by Paradox
Reepicheep- Reepicheep mesh and skin by Gni
Seraphim- Male_basic_wings2 by Beyonder, skin by Courtnall 6
Sharkmen- Man_Shark by Webrider, Skin by me.
Syn- 'Skope using pieces from me, Ink, and Tommyboy, skin by me