• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

finally finished harry potter

Started by Mr. Cow, March 17, 2007, 11:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Cow

figured i'd announce that i finally finished reading all 6 that are out in time for the 7th when it comes out  :thumbup:

Uncle Yuan

Now all you have to do is wait until June . . .

My 13 year-old son is in the process of re-reading the existing book to be ready for the final installment.  He's done this ofr each of the last three or four books!

Sevenforce

Is this a pandemic? I've done exactly the same thing the last few days...except being as odd as I am, I read them backwards, starting with HBP and ending with PS. It's quite interesting that way actually, as I caught a lot of little details that I didn't before. Still grumbling about HBP, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt until we get this long-awaited last one. ^_^

Mr. Cow

this my just be me losing my mind, but which book is "PS"?

bredon7777

Quote from: Mr. Cow on March 18, 2007, 10:48:07 AM
this my just be me losing my mind, but which book is "PS"?

The British title for the first book was "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone".

Apparently they thought Americans would get confused by that, henche the title change here to "Sorceror's Stone"

Sevenforce

I've never understood why they changed it. The Philosophers Stone is an actual legend/myth, and it has been referenced to in countless literature and even numerous television programs, whereas, to my knowledge, there is no such thing as a Sorcerors Stone. :huh:

kkhohoho

Quote from: Sevenforce on March 18, 2007, 03:06:19 PM
I've never understood why they changed it. The Philosophers Stone is an actual legend/myth, and it has been referenced to in countless literature and even numerous television programs, whereas, to my knowledge, there is no such thing as a Sorcerors Stone. :huh:

Interesting.  Why, I've never understood why they often change the names of characters and attacks in videogames, and I've never understood why gas- in Minnesota- is at low cost in the winter when everyone drives less, and costs more in the summer when everyone drives more.

In short, the powers that be often do things that we don't understand for no apparent reason, unless of course they think we're all morons...Nah!...That's silly!...That's not how things are, are they? :P  (Note the sarcastic tone of voice.)

stumpy

The gas prices are straightforward enough (higher demand generally leads to higher prices), but I was also confused by the change from philosopher's stone to sorcerer's stone. I really don't think it would be that much of an issue to leave the American copies un"translated" from the British ones. But, I'm also not one of the richest authors in the world...

BTW, the publication in several languages has been been the source of some clues to various mysteries in the series, like who R.A.B. might be.