• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Nikskope problem - Lost reflections

Started by apfarmakis, March 13, 2007, 03:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apfarmakis

I 've added a few bits to a mesh but for some reason some of the bits have the reflections intact while others don't. Both the target mesh and the original donar meshes have working reflection layers so I know it's not that. Anyone have any ideas?

FLASH_22798

Unfortunately, that's a common problem that I have with the meshes that I NifSkope. I think it has something to do with the way that you add the pieces to the mesh.   I always just add the new pieces to the "scene_root" as opposed to the individual bip points. For me it's just alot easier to match the pieces from different meshes than having to worry about getting them where they need to be.   I think this is where they lose the reflection at, because the tga files aren't being pointed to the right spot, or something to that effect.

apfarmakis

That's wierd. If they had a problem, why do they still refer to the correct tgas?

Anyway, if I pasted the bits into the scene root, would the reflections work?

JKCarrier

Took me a while to figure out how to fix this:

1. Make sure you have the "Block Details" window open (the one that runs across the bottom of the screen). It's under the "View" menu.
2. Look for a branch on the mesh called "Omni01". Hit the + sign next to it, and the next branch down should be "NiTextureEffect". Make a note of the number next to it.
3. Click on the NiNode of the piece you pasted on (the one that's lost it's glow and refl). Look in the Block Details window for the section called "Effects" (it's all the way at the bottom). Click on the + sign and see another branch called "Effects" open up. That's the one we want. Double-click on the "Value", and change it to the same number that's next to the "NiTextureEffect" you looked at in step 2. Refl and Glow should now work. You'll have to do this for every individual piece you've pasted on.

apfarmakis

JKC shots and... he scores. The fans go wild.

Thanks a million. Now, could I twist your arm to skin a frigid denizen of Tharr?

tommyboy

This is so helpful that it ought to be added to the Big Nifskope Sticky Thing, if one exists. (And if not, Why not?)

Symon

It got lost.
Adding refl and glow was covered in one of the tutorials, though it didn't quite address this specific issue.

detourne_me

Great job figuring that out....
can you help me do the opposite though?
I've nifskoped the FF1 Oconner mesh onto Black Jack,  but he's really glossy,  and i haven't yet figured out how to get rid of all the glossiness.
i'll gladly upload the hex,  if someone can figure out a way to get rid of the gloss.

Symon

Looks like you have a refl effect but have not assigned a texture (which should be pure black).

JKCarrier

Quote from: detourne_me on July 01, 2007, 07:32:10 AM
I've nifskoped the FF1 Oconner mesh onto Black Jack

How did you do that, by the way? I haven't had any luck putting one mesh "on top of" another... it always comes out distorted.

detourne_me

ok  so i think i've narrowed the problem down to skoping a mesh that has a
NiTextureEffect          Omni01
and trying to insert a mesh that does not have one.  since i believe that this texture effect controls the lightmaps.  I'm still trying to find a way around it but im not having much luck.
I've tried with quite a few,  putting mister_mechanical_civ, oconner, and nazi_general into blackjack,  none of them have the Omni01 NiTextureEffect and they all come out shiny!
The odd part is,  this is all trying to skope within Irrational meshes.  if i drop an irrational mesh into a community mesh its fine,  no glossyness, and same with vice versa.
i'm kinda stumped.

JKC - sometimes they are distorted,  i just try to find the closest matching body types,  another thing that might work, i've found some nodes being labelled ForeArm and Forearm for example,   i add both nodes to the Bip01,  and try to adjust the values in the Transform->Edit window to conform with the nodes of the original mesh...

EDIT:
Ok, im dumb, all i needed to do was make a solid black lightmap file.  problem solved.   expect a bunch of irrational skoped meshes coming from me soon :D

doctorchallenger

Zivon23

Quote from: detourne_me on July 02, 2007, 01:54:15 PM

EDIT:
Ok, im dumb, all i needed to do was make a solid black lightmap file.  problem solved.   expect a bunch of irrational skoped meshes coming from me soon :D

I don't know if this would work, but something else you may want to try.....add the glow and reflection textures to the non-omni 1 mesh as per the tutorial 'adding glow and reflection' then try to skope it onto the new mesh as you were doing originally.  in theory, this should work since both meshes would now have the same files( glow, refl, omni, etc.)  This way would mean that you could skin the mesh like normal instead of adjusting the lighmap itself.  If you try this, please let us know the outcome.

~Z23~