• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Sir Justin

Started by BentonGrey, February 13, 2007, 01:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Howdy guys, how do you portray Shinning Knight?  At the moment, I've got him set up where his chainmail blocks most melee and ranged attacks with a passive defense....but I'm wondering if a low invulnerability score might be more accurate.  Thoughts?

Talavar

I give a low level of invulnerability, 5 or 10 pts, because I dislike how passives work to represent toughness.

Xenolith

Small arms fire couldn't penetrate the Golden Age SK's armor, so if you use 10 pts of damage as a base "pistol" then 10 points of invlunerability is a good choice.  I think my base pistol damage is a little higher, so I think I gave SK invulnerable 15.  Anyway, yeah, a few levels on invulnerability is a good choice.

Panther_Gunn

I haven't played with Invulnerability yet, can it be set to different types of damage, or is it universal?  Realistically, the armor should only protect against magic, energy (according to Ben Reilly's site), piercing, and to a lesser degree, crushing.  If the levels of Invuln can be customized for what they protect against, perhaps a lower level one for crushing, a little bit more for piercing, and a bit higher than that for magic & energy.

stumpy

Unfortunately, the game's engine makes it difficult to tell what sort of damage a character has been dealt, so the INVULNERABILITY attributes (and similar attributes like BODY AURA and PHYSICAL RESISTANCE) apply equally to all types of physical damage.

Panther_Gunn

That's what I was afraid of.  I think that one (or more) PD's would be the best bet in this case, since it's only towards a few specific types of damage (I wouldn't think it would be as effective against electrical attacks, unless they were magically generated......*remembers the "Superman vs. Capt. Marvel" thread*..... <_< not goin' there)

BentonGrey

Well, what about some ehanced resistances, a-la solid skeleton, armored, etc, coupled with a very low invulnerability?

Panther_Gunn

(why didn't I think of Armored?  :doh: )

I would think that Armored would be the way to go, along with Unbeliever, and perhaps Strange Visitor.  Since chain mail is typically less useful towards blunt damage, I'd go with a PD towards Crushing.

Going with any level of Invuln. would be saying that his armor is capable of protecting him from *every* form of physical attack, including radiation, acid, cold, heat, electricity, in area and direct forms, as well.  Of course, this could be how you are interpreting how his armor works, and that of course is always the differences we run into.  I wouldn't interpret it that way, and I could only guess at what the (various) writers interpret it as.  In the end, as we all know, it's whatever makes you happiest about character balance and if it adds to your enjoyment when you play the game.

Xenolith

Well, going by Golden Age stories, his armor can/can't protect him from plot devices, so he might be able to stop an atomic cannon in issue 3, but gets knocked out by Joe Lunchpail in issue 4.  This always happened to the Spectre.