• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Nifscoping Dilema

Started by BentonGrey, February 11, 2007, 08:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Okay, Unko suggested that I ask this question to the Nifskope elite, so perhaps y'all can help me.  I'm trying to put together an underwater adventure for Aquaman, and I am trying to find a way to have his rogue's gallery use swimmer keys as well.  It's not a problem for The Shark and Black Manta, but Ocean Master has a trident and The Scavenger has a gun.  Is there a way to transfer keys using nifscope? 

On a simpler (to my ignorance, at least) point, could the female_basic swimmer keys be adjusted to female_longhair?

Thanks for any help guys!

UnkoMan

And here I am, thinking to ask the same question finally. I would love to take keyframes from one character and strap them onto another character, all willy nilly. I had found a tutorial on adding animations from a compatable set of keyframes, but is it possible to get an incompatable set to work with a mesh?

BentonGrey

Yeah, same question here.  I found the same tutorial, I would imagine, but no word on a way to transfer non-compatible frames.

yell0w_lantern

Symon has done it with my Belle of Vichy mesh. Try sending him a PM.

detourne_me

i've successfully transferred a few of aquamans keys to another male_basic set, no problem,  just copy and paste branch.

and on a sidenote, i just used ocvean master with the keys,  when swimming/flying his staff clips a bit with his knee.

edit 2:
about Unko's question,   its totally possible,  how I've done it before was by hiding the mesh of the keyframes i want to use, and building the other mesh into it.  it usually works great as long as the "skeleton" i think is around the same size.   porting a male_heavy into a male_basic mesh squishes it like youd imagine,  not pretty.

BentonGrey

Thanks for the responses guys!  DM, I'm not entirely sure what you mean about adding the other mesh into the first one, could you perhaps be a bit more specific, I'm still fairly new to nifskope.

BentonGrey

Okay guys, here's my issue:  I'm trying to copy a sword from one TV to another hex.  I've been pouring over the tutorials, but I can't for the life of me find anything about copying between meshes, and my own efforts have led to really useless results.  Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial on this, or perhaps offer a simple crash course?

Lunarman

Use this http://frworld.wikispaces.com/Tutorial1

It works in the same way as copying except instead of pasting the horns onto the same mesh you paste them onto a different mesh. If you get a message saying "nif versions differ" then it's not gonna work although ypu may be able to fix this issue with conversion of some kind.

BentonGrey

See, that's what it was, the mesh versions were different.  Thanks for the response Lunarman, I guess I'll just have to try and convert them.

DEATH

Out of curiosity, did you find a way around this?  I'm having a similar problem with something I'm trying to Nifskope, with a message about differing nif versions...

DEATH

Carravaggio

i think the two versions are those made for FF! and those made for FF2. the two can't be mixed, so if you wanna skope something, make sure all the parts are from one game or the other-no mixing.

seraglio

Quoteabout Unko's question,   its totally possible,  how I've done it before was by hiding the mesh of the keyframes i want to use, and building the other mesh into it.  it usually works great as long as the "skeleton" i think is around the same size.   porting a male_heavy into a male_basic mesh squishes it like youd imagine,  not pretty.

thats a pretty tantilizing clue there detourne_me. I'm pretty experienced with NifScope and I cant make any sense of it though.

Are you working with the mesh or the keyframes, my version only lets me work with one or the other? What is "the mesh of the keyframes". When I'm working with a mesh, there is no reference to keyframes. When I work with keyframes, refererences to specific body parts are way numerous and buried deep down in NiStringExtraData.

Animation switching is the holy grail for me, and probably some others. If you know how to move animations between otherwise incompatible meshes, please, please share!

detourne_me

no its pretty impossible to move animations between incompatible meshes,  however if you dig deep enough i'm sure someone may find a way.   i've made concoctions allowing male_cape keyframes on male_basic characters by copying the proper nodes (usually cape top) onto the male_basic meshes.

as for what you quoted...i dont know how to say it any simpler,  just copy the pieces from the mesh you you'd like to have, into the mesh with the keyframes you'd like to have.   the classic example of this would be Renegade's mesh specific keyframes,   many people have copied Sinestro's body into the Hal_GL mesh, so sinestro can have those keyframes.  and other people have copied mesh parts into his owlman, crimson avenger and no-man meshes too, in oreder to use those super sweet keyframes.

seraglio

ahhh gotcha I understand now. I've been doing this too, starting with male_basic or whatever has good keyframes and moving all the pieces I want over to the basic mesh with the right keys.

But are you also saying you can just copy the whole mesh of one into another? For instance lets call them source (the cool looking mesh I want) and destination (the cool looking animations I want). Can I just click on scene root or bip01 of the source, copy branch, go over to the destination and paste the branch onto the highest node (scene root or bip01 again)? Then I guess 0 out the size in Bip01 so the destination mesh is  invisible?

I'll have to experiment with that but it still seems like if there are bones in the source mesh that are not in the destination mesh, the destinations meshes wouldnt know how to animate the keys.

Thanks a ton for replying, gives me lotsa new things to try at least!