• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

I Finally Have a Reason to Watch 'The Batman'

Started by BentonGrey, February 10, 2007, 05:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Check it out here:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0702/08/index.htm

If they go with the classic Aquaman, they may actually get my attention for an episode or two. 

bredon7777

I still cant stand most of their character designs, but the writing and acting has won me over so far.

BentonGrey

I have to say, it has improved a bit since the first season, but there are still GLARING plot holes in most of the episodes I've seen.  Admittedly, I only catch a smattering.  Voice acting is pretty solid though, but this fellow simply is not Batman......Kevin Conroy is Batman, and always will be.

Glitch Girl

I just spotted Alan Burnett's name associated with "The Batman".  Is this a new addition to the production staff?  IIRC, Alan was one of the team that made B:TAS  what is was. I don't think I've seen his name with it before now. 

I agree, Kevin Conroy IS Batman.  :D

As for "The Batman"... It took abotu two seasons to get it's legs, but I really think the writing is on the upswing now.  There are still things that don't quite work, but I'm starting to enjoy it a lot more.   

BentonGrey

It just bothers me that they STILL have episodes that have glaring plot holes.  For example, I was watching an otherwise really compelling episode where Bats thinks Hugo Strange has turned the entire city into zombies.  However:

[spoiler]It turns out, of course, that Strange managed to gas Bats while he was talking to him in Arkham, and Bats is halucinating.  The only problem with this is.....where'd he get the gas INSIDE freaking Arkham.  It would have made more sense if he had been sent somewhere outside and been exposed to it in a trap of some sort.  [/spoiler]

Still, it's not as bad as the Jamacian-Joker's 'playing card gun' from one of the early episodes I watched.

If that's true, about a TAS alum being added to the crew, then that's good news indeed.  That show should have NEVER stopped.....errr....rather, the '4th' season should have never happened, and THEN it should never have stopped.

bredon7777

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 11, 2007, 08:06:01 PM
It just bothers me that they STILL have episodes that have glaring plot holes.  For example, I was watching an otherwise really compelling episode where Bats thinks Hugo Strange has turned the entire city into zombies.  However:

[spoiler]It turns out, of course, that Strange managed to gas Bats while he was talking to him in Arkham, and Bats is halucinating.  The only problem with this is.....where'd he get the gas INSIDE freaking Arkham.  It would have made more sense if he had been sent somewhere outside and been exposed to it in a trap of some sort.  [/spoiler]

[spoiler]
Um, IIRC Hugo explicitly stated that he was able to cobble together an "antidote" to the gas from the cleaning supplies in Arkham.. he then drops the "antidote" and gasses Bats that way.

Given the number of times Joker has made his venom out of ordinary household chemicals I dont see that as too much of a plot hole
[/spoiler]

I will agree that I cannot stand the Jamaican Joker(at least in terms of character design)- or the Marilyn Manson Riddler - or the slovenly Penguin- etc, etc, etc.

Poison Ivy is about the only character redesign I don't absolutley loathe.

BentonGrey

Ehhh, it seems weak to me, but like I said, I do feel like it's gotten better.  At least they made an attempt at explaining that, unlike the playing card gun.

UnkoMan

Ehhh... I've begun to be pretty forgiving to The Batman. I love Catwoman's design. Mr. Freeze looks alright, for what he is. I don't even mind the Joker in the modified purple suit (but the straight jacket one is retarded). He isn't "the Joker" but is still a neat character.

But... okay, it's still lame. Especially compaired to what is probably the best super hero cartoon ever.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I've seen an episode or two, but to me, TAS is THE batman series.  All others must bow down before it.  The very fact that they'd make a separate series after that is nearly sacriledge.  I hope they plead for forgiveness.

BentonGrey

Haha, that's right Unko, just let it out...the show may not be completely worthless, but it really is in the shadow of greatness.

Cat....AMEN!! :D

JeyNyce

I'm surprise all of you guys watch it.  Anyway, villain-wise, the show needs some work.  To me the best episode was "Artifacts".  It was done in the future and was a big nod to Frank Miller's Dark Knight returns.

BentonGrey

Wow........I just saw an episode with the Riddler............I'm not sure even Aquaman can save this show.....

bredon7777

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 16, 2007, 02:50:03 PM
Wow........I just saw an episode with the Riddler............I'm not sure even Aquaman can save this show.....

I know. The voice is good and the writing is generally competent, but the design is just SO bad. . . :(

Protomorph

The only real exposure I've gotten to the show was the Batman Dracula movie. It was decent, and I liked Bats actually being a detective for a change.

Glitch Girl

Interesting tidbit about this weekend's episode which introduced this universe's version of Harley.

Writer: Paul Dini. 

I can't honestly say it was his best work but I kinda enjoyed it.  Some good lines in there, and some moments when the Joker I'd grown to love on B:TAS started to slip in. 

I did rather like Batgirl's line at one point:
"And next, Batman analyzes the freudian implications of Penguin's umbrella."

Spe-Dog

Quote from: JeyNyce on February 16, 2007, 11:24:39 AM
I'm surprise all of you guys watch it.  Anyway, villain-wise, the show needs some work.  To me the best episode was "Artifacts".  It was done in the future and was a big nod to Frank Miller's Dark Knight returns.

That was my favorite episode to date on that show.  It's been kind of down hill ever since they moved from the Edge's opening to the new Hawaii 5-0 opening theme...which sucks.

Glitch Girl

Amen to that.  I loved the moody guitar opener.  The new-wave 60's Bat-theme just doesn't cut it. Bleah.