• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

NBC's _Heroes_

Started by stumpy, February 01, 2007, 11:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Revenant

[spoiler]
Quote from: stumpy on February 13, 2007, 02:50:39 PM
2) After all the thoughts he was picking up from Jessica earlier, it bugs me that he didn't get any indication of how surprised she was that he could "hear" Nikki. More importantly, he didn't seem to have any clue that she was totally lying to him when she said Nikki was probably off killing Malsky at that moment.

Of course, if he called her on it, she probably would have tossed him over the rail...

I am thinking that Matt has gained some control over his telepathy... he turned it up so he could locate Jessica, and ended up hearing her inner monologue... but when he had her cuffed, he wasn't using it to probe her mind, since he was thinking about protecting Malsky.  Also he may have heard thoughts but mistook them for actual voices.  Earlier scenes had him picking up stray thoughts, it seems now that he can focus it, which might not be a good thing.

The stairwell is the first time Jessica/Nikki has appeared without the aid of a reflection.  I hope this happens more, to the point where Nikki and Jessica become two seperate beings (wasn't her power once billed as "being in two places at once"?)

I'm worried about Matt... this doesn't bode well, I could see him being killed off after that crisis of conscience.  The show is called Heroes, after all.

Claire's situation is understandable.. She is really growing to hate HRG after seeing Mrs. Bennet's mind destroyed.  As an outsider she must know, as HRG knows, that the excessive mindwiping is not healthy.  Meeting Peter, aside from being a schoolgirl-crush for her, was a glimpse of the real goodness and selflessness in people.  I loved it when she threw the baseball!  I don't think she got a good look at Nathan, did anybody catch that?  Surely they will be meeting up again at some point.

I think melty-guy's power was disintegration.  It looked as if the molecules of the object lost the binding force that held them together, rather than their temperature rising.  If that were the case, there would have been discoloration, smoke, light or scorching going on.

Just a wild speculation, but perhaps Sylar will take the Nuke Man's powers during his travels with Mohinder, and Peter will absorb them from Sylar?[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

There's one BIG mistake people keep making about this episode:

[spoiler]
QuoteThe stairwell is the first time Jessica/Nikki has appeared without the aid of a reflection.  I hope this happens more, to the point where Nikki and Jessica become two seperate beings (wasn't her power once billed as "being in two places at once"?)

Not true.  This has happened once before.  When Jessica was trying to kill her husband right before she took back control and turned herself in, the two face each other over the desert.  I believe Niki appears first in a pond, but then appears next to Jessica and the rest of the conversation takes place that way.

Jessica's surprise in this episode that Matt could hear Niki, however, seems to indicate that these manifestations are not physical, but solely mental.
[/spoiler]

Revenant

Ah you're right, I had forgotten about that desert scene.

I do believe that the manifestations are mental, but I don't think that they are merely hallucinations.  I'd like to  think there is more to Nikki/Jessica than a split personality disorder.  Unless the images are only hallucinations, and she really is crazy.  I'd rather see something more extraordinary on a show where one guy can stop time and another can fly.

catwhowalksbyhimself

It's quite possible.  Micah seemed to think that's the way it was.  (Anybody else think it strange that he could tell the difference quite easily and over the phone before, but seems to be fooled now?)

Nymph

LOLZORZ!!!!!!!!!

Ugly Betty.....Betty's co-worker Henry was going to fall in love with Betty.

His Ex-Girlfriend comes back to town!
His ex is the same girl who played our "Super Memory Girl" lol!

You know her name on Heroes........on Ugly Betty.....it's Charlie!!!!!!
:P    :thumbup:   :P

catwhowalksbyhimself

Much better.  There was more plot advancement in this episode than in the past 3 combined.

About the death:

[spoiler]Well this proves that the lady who claimed to know who it was and gave several spoilers and hints was dead wrong.  Her hints contradicted several of the creator's hints anyways.  And I don't remember who she is, so don't ask.  She works for one of the big entertainment news programs and wrote some articles on their website.

Anyway, the death made perfect sense and wasn't anyone we'll really miss that much.  It also does do a lot for the plot.  Whether it drives Peter and Issac further apart or back together, we'll see.[/spoiler]

Some things of interest:

[spoiler]Peter is switching between powers pretty well now.  You can really see that in the Isaac vs. Peter scene.

Peter can apparently only use one power at a time, but he can switch between them easily.

HRG no knows that Claire knows.

Matt's taking a step more toward the heroic.  Sort of.

Ando and Hiro part ways.  Don't know if this is permanent or not.

Hiro still has his full powers, especially as he does something he's never done before.   It's apparently all mental, which is what I figured.[/spoiler]

Next weeks' going to be interested.  We'll learn HRG's origin.

NomadX

The show continues to be a joy to watch (at least for me). I keep wanting to see what happens next and hate when 10 p.m. arrives. This latest episode had a lot of cool moments (Stan Lee the bus driver :thumbup:). Hope they keep up with the surprises.

Conduit

This episode was pretty good.  It went by really fast and managed to move the plot along.

[spoiler]
So Simone's dead.  Color me surprised.  Also confused.  The actress is credited as being in the next 2 episodes.  Maybe they did that to keep it secret (if so, VERY smart move, publicity guys), or maybe she'll show up in flashbacks.  I really hope this isn't a fakeout.  Can't say I would be too sad if she's gone.  However, her death will probably have a big impact.  It'll make Isaac and Peter reconcile, if nothing else.

I am however, very sad to have Ando and Claude gone.  At least we got to see Ando realize his mistake and Claude punch Peter again.

On a lighter note, Stan Lee! :D  WOOOOT!!!!!!

I can't wait for next episode.  Finally we get some answers.
[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

For those wondering if the comics are canon, this appeared on the weekly question and answer section with two of the writers.

QuoteShe continues, "Also, will the online comics continue through the 2nd hiatus, as it did with the 1st hiatus?"

Absolutely. We wouldn't leave you guys hanging. We don't want to give too much away – but the break will begin with our friend Hana, as her hunt for vengeance will lead her to discover a story from the past, (which, of course, we'll also learn) and ending with a revelation that will effect the on-screen story for many of our characters.

So if the comics are going to effect the on-screen characters, that would be a yes.

They mentioned a deleted scene in which Mohinder mentioned to HRG that his father found Claire because of a blood sample used in the Genome project.  That combined with the same thing tonight, answers the earlier question on how Suresh came up with the list in the first place.

Talavar

Now that episode made things happen!

[spoiler]
Peter was hardcore when he and Claude got attacked, it was awesome!  Those were some real super-heroics.  Was it time-stopping or TK that protected him from the tazer though?  I wasn't sure.  That the tazer ends dropped rather than continued on afterwards made it seem like TK to me.  

Mohinder is clearly getting suspicious, and Sylar just can't keep up the sane act for long.  Also nice to see Claire standing up to her father.  I don't think he's evil, not really, just going too far to protect his family, even from themselves.  I think next week will be an eye-opener for her.

I'm not too broken up by Simone's apparent death ( I say apparent, because Peter should have Hiro's powers, which clearly include reversing time) as she doesn't add much to the show at this point.  A minor prediction here: if Peter gets really angry and blames Isaac for Simone dying, he's going to be come a villain, if a misguided rather than evil one; if he blames himself, or they both blame themselves and reconcile, he'll stay a hero.

I also figured Hiro's power-loss to be psychological, nice to get confirmation of that, and when and if he gets the sword he's after it will turn out to be the classic "magic feather" syndrome.
[/spoiler]

Conduit

[spoiler]
Quote from: Talavar on February 19, 2007, 08:12:05 PM
( I say apparent, because Peter should have Hiro's powers, which clearly include reversing time.)

Of course, we know from Hiro's attempt to save Charlie that going back in time to save someone isn't as easy as one might think.  Indeed, it might be impossible.
[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Some responses

[spoiler]
QuoteThe actress is credited as being in the next 2 episodes.  Maybe they did that to keep it secret (if so, VERY smart move, publicity guys), or maybe she'll show up in flashbacks.

The shows alway pick up with the last few seconds of the last episodes.  We'll likely see a repeat of the shooting, meaning that the acress will indeed be in the next episode, especially if we see the ambulance take here away.  If her body, a funeral, for example, is seen later on, that could explain the 2nd episode.

QuotePeter was hardcore when he and Claude got attacked, it was awesome!  Those were some real super-heroics.  Was it time-stopping or TK that protected him from the tazer though?  I wasn't sure.  That the tazer ends dropped rather than continued on afterwards made it seem like TK to me. 

Since the agents freeze, it was definitely time freeze.  Notice, though, that they're moving again when it drops.  I took this to mean that he switched from Hiro's powers to Sylar's stolen TK.  However, seeing what Hiro did with the gun, causing the bullet to go backwards without actually rewinding time, it could be Hiro's time control as well.

By the way, the writers revealed today that Peter and Sylar will fight "technically, more than twice" by the end of the season.  Those should be some good superfights, expecially now that we know that Peter can absorb from Sylar anything that he steals from someone else, but it seems that Sylar can use them all at once, while Peter has to switch.  Should be interesting.  It also makes Peter even more dangerous to Sylar, since every time they meet, it makes Peter more powerful.[/spoiler]

Talavar

Peter and Sylar fighting would be awesome at this point, though...
[spoiler]
...time stop is kind of a trump card, don't you think?  All Pete needs to do is stop time, and then he can pretty much do whatever he wants to Sylar.
[/spoiler]

Shogunn2517

You know what I'm really hope happens?

[spoiler]Issac gets some better powers.  PLEASE.  Because honestly, painting has got to be one of the lamest powers in the history of fantasy.  Given he can paint the future, but he seems to be a severely limited character, particularly when compared to the others, many of whom have powers that are much more expansive, like Hiro and Peter of course, but even find another usage of it.  The Hatian's powers deal with some sort of mental dampening ability(can erase memories and block other's abilities, which I assume is of a mental use).  Claude doesn't simply turn invisible, things he touch turn invisible as well.  Even the lady with superhearing has shown to be able to apply her powers in more than one simple way.  But Issac, all he does is paint.  And appearently snitch on others.[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

And why do Isaac's powers have to be any different?  He's just as powerful as the others.  Yeah, he can't fight or do anything involving really cool special effects, but his power is vital to the plot.  Give me a power that matters in the plot but isn't very spectacular over one that is there just for show any time.

bredon7777

Hate to break it to you guys, but this wasn't the death we've been hearing about - that happens on March 5. So, it's even money on whether or not Simone survives this at this point.

[spoiler] The spoilers I've seen were nearly perfectly dead on, once you realize they refer to two different things.

Kristen from E online, who I belive cat was referrring to said " A hero will be shot by another hero and you wont belive who shoots who". While I wouldn't call Simone a Hero per se that's pretty much the only thing she got wrong.

Both she and other sources have confirmed that another Hero bites the dust on March the 5th. And they have also confirmed that a) Its a girl, b) its someone who was featured in the first ten minutes of the pilot, and c) Its not Claire (yay!)

So regardless of whether or not SImone survives, it's not the death the spoilers were about.

[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Actually, it WAS the death some of the spoilers were about, as today's date was specifically given by the creator.  Tonights victim was

[spoiler]a girl who appeared in the first ten minutes[/spoiler]

And the ads for tonight's episode specifically said "someone flies, someone dies," both of which did happen.

That's not to say you aren't right, it makes sense, but this was indeed the death I've been talking about and hearing about, at least.  After all, today's date was flashed around.

Also:

[spoiler]Kristen's spoilers said nothing about a girl who appeared in the first ten minutes.  Those came from the creator, and I'm pretty sure he named today's date, so you're mixing up the two deaths as well.  Those spoilers were fulfulled tonight.  If you accept two different spoilers about two different heroes, it all makes sense.[/spoiler]

bredon7777

if you're talking about [spoiler] super-hearing lady [/spoiler] I hadnt seen any spoilers relating to that death.

Nor to the deaths of [spoiler] Any of Sylar's victims [/spoiler] for that matter.  Generally spoiler sites dont concern themselves with such minor characters.

Still I will grant you that the promo was dead on.

And now it is very late, and I will go to bed.

Edited to add:
[spoiler]
You were right about Kristen.  I got that first ten minutes thing fron Auselio at Tv guide.  My bad - I go to so many spoiler sites, I lose track of who said what. [/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

No of course not.  The death I was talking about was most definitely.

[spoiler]Simone[/spoiler]

She fits all the spoilers except for that one source which you explained.

There were a LOT of spoilers saying basically that:

[spoiler]
A main character would die today.  It would be a female appearing in the first 10 minutes of the show and would be someone we had known since the beginning.
[/spoiler]

This was the death I've been talking about.  Until you popped in here, I had no idea about the other.

stumpy

[spoiler]Has it been confirmed through some other source that Peter can only use one power at a time? I saw no confirmation in tonight's episode, since we can't even say that he wasn't using invisibility and at the same time using TK to throw the paint cans at Isaac. Of course, he also could have thrown the cans the old fashioned way, but that's exactly my point: we don't know. It's possible he can use more than one at once but it takes more concentration, so he doesn't do it unless necessary.

BTW, the other issue aside, it seemed odd to me that he didn't use Hiro's power to get Simone to a hospital, or do some triage on his own (he is a nurse after all). You could do pretty good damage control if you knew your patient wasn't going to bleed to death while you removed the bullets and made some quick stitches...

Just for the record, the idea that Isaac is a snitch doesn't seem that well-justified to me. Sure, we know that HRG isn't on the up-and-up, But Isaac doesn't. In Isaac's mind, HRG is the one who sent Eden to him, the one who helped get him clean, the one who helped him control his powers, and someone who was trying to catch the killer Sylar (who is also planning to kill Isaac, according to what Isaac learned from Hiro). When you have the power to see the future and only know few people who both believe you and might be able to help, was it really so unreasonable for him to contact HRG?

Meanwhile, Peter has to be able to understand that same thing. The only way that Peter knows HRG is a bad guy (or at least an unfriendly good guy) is that HRG attacked him. But he doesn't have any reason to believe Isaac knew that was going to happen when he called HRG. (I'm not really even sure how Peter knew it was Isaac that called HRG, but that's a separate issue.) And, Peter himself was surprised when Claude ran off, so he can't assume Isaac knew that would happen. Not to mention that he can't blame Isaac for taking pretty seriously the fact that Peter might blow up the city. I'm just saying that Peter came on pretty strong against Isaac given how little he had against him. (Also keep in mind that, when Peter last saw Isaac, Isaac didn't have nearly the control he apparently does now over his precog painting. So, the argument that Peter thinks Isaac should have known is weak.)

As an aside, Sylar is sort of a strategic idiot. There was no need to kill Audiophile right then, especially after she basically accused him of hiding something right in front of Mohinder. Mohinder is Sylar's key to finding the rest of the specials, why should he tip his hand so soon? Assuming their story gets some time, we shouldn't get to the end of the next episode without Mohinder figuring out who Sylar is.
[/spoiler]

GhostMachine

One of the best episodes in a while.

[spoiler]Claude has shown that there's a bit more to him than there seems to be, when he was talking scientifically to Peter regarding the birds.

Simone possibly killed off? Whoopie. I don't like the character (do like the actress, though), so I couldn't care less. The trailer tagline `someone will fly, someone will die' was somewhat misleading to me at least, as it was quite obvious that someone would die with Sylar around, but I was sort of expecting a main character with powers to bite it, not someone we've never seen before and a supporting character.

Peter able to control powers he's copied = Sylar's worst nightmare if they come face to face again. Especially with Peter realizing he has TK and where it came from. I can think of a couple ways that Hiro or Peter could stop Sylar using the time controlling power, but I'm not sure if Hiro would have the backbone, or the brains, to figure it out and actually go through with either of them.

Peter is slowly catching up to Hiro as my favorite character, and amazingly it has nothing to do with either of the characters' abilities. (I like Ali Larter, but I don't really care either way about Nikki or Jessica, despite her doing an amazing job playing both parts)

If he doesn't get what's coming to him next week, or Claire doesn't get away from him, what's Claire going to do next time HRG asks the Haitian to wipe her memories? I don't think he'd risk HRG's anger by faking it again.....[/spoiler]

And a question for anyone reading the advance spoilers:

[spoiler]Who's apparently going to get killed off on March 5th?[/spoiler]

stumpy

[spoiler]
Quote from: GhostMachine on February 20, 2007, 02:02:53 AMIf he doesn't get what's coming to him next week, or Claire doesn't get away from him, what's Claire going to do next time HRG asks the Haitian to wipe her memories? I don't think he'd risk HRG's anger by faking it again.....

I'm not so sure. We really don't know what hold HRG has over him and he risked it before. It wasn't a certainty, but anyone who thinks a teenage girl is going to keep that kind of secret is pretty foolish and Lemnos doesn't strike me as a foolish man. He had to have assumed that Claire would eventually blurt it out. Her whole motivation of feeling alone and desperate for someone to accept her isn't the profile of someone who can keep secrets.

Meanwhile, a giant unknown in all this is what powers HRG has. If he has none, what's to stop Lemnos from just wiping HRG's knowledge of Claire's knowledge?

BTW, we have a pretty serious moral benchmark coming up here. Now that HRG knows that the mindwipes have definite medical consequences, will he continue to use them? Of course, mitigating factors are that he only knows there is a problem with repeated use, as with Claire's mom. A single use may not be harmful. Also, the one person who may well be resistant to the cerebral scarring damage would be Claire, so he kind of has an out there.

Random thought: I really doubt this going to happen, but doesn't it seem like Matt could kind of get out of his dilemma vis-a-vis the diamonds by anonymously mailing them back to Linderman? He knows it was Linderman who was after Malsky for stealing the 2 million.
[/spoiler]

bredon7777

actually..

[spoiler]
We might both be right.  Simone was shot tonight, true, but given that next week's episode is going to be mainly flashbacks about HRG she very well might not die until March 5th; so the spoilers might be about the same thing after all.  That would also explain why the actress is contracted for the next two episodes.

It seems a bit premature, given that we went out on her getting shot, to assume that Peter will not use Hiro's powers in order to get her to a hospital- that may happen next week, and may indeed be what keeps her alive to March the 5th.

Very glad that Claude is still alive, and that scene on the rooftop demonstrated what makes me love this show so much.  They are clearly setting up a huge Peter vs Sylar fight (season finale, perhaps?) which should be a blast to watch.  Was it just me, though- or did Peter's voice go a little demonesque while he was yelling at Issac?

As for how Peter knew to go to Issac- Claude made it pretty clear that it was Issac on the rooftop.

Hiro sending Ando off was sad, but Stan Lee!  Also, glad to see that Hiro's powers still work and that it was a psychological thing, like I was thinking.

If Mohinder doesn't figure out whats going on in his next signficant chunk of screen time, he is going to deserve the title of "Dumbest smart person on the show".  I mean : "Gee, <superhearing lady> complained about headaches after the power started shoing up, and I take Zane to see her (Zane has been acting awfully squirrely lately, too!), she gets murdered and now Zane's complaining about  headaches! Why, no - that's not suspicious in the slightest."

As for Matt, while mailing the diamonds back to Linderman may get him off the hook, I think, given the previews for next week, he's going to have much bigger things to worry about.  And speaking of HRG- way to go, Claire for dressing him down like that.  Hayden delivered a great performance- shes becoming my second favorite character on the show.

[/spoiler]

Kitt Basher

Haven't had time to read through all of the responses, so forgive me if this has been said:
[spoiler]As far as Peter only being able to use one power at a time -- he was invisible and using his TK to throw the paint cans.  We know he wasn't picking them up because they didn't turn invisible before being thrown.

Unless we are to assume that he has better control than Calude does at this point.
[/spoiler]

Just my 2 cents.

MJB

Didn't think of that Kitt Basher. Nice theory.

-MJB

Talavar

I think it's good to see that...
[spoiler]
Sylar can't control his compulsion to eat brains, or however he actually steals powers, even though it's tipping his hand.  The man is psycho, and real psychos can't just turn it on and off.  Get them in a situation that plays to their fixation, and it'll come out.  Finding super-powered people and killing them to steal their powers is Sylar's fixation; if he could control it, he probably wouldn't be travelling across the country killing people to get at their brains.
[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Good point Talavar, Sylar is realistic in that way.

Kitt Basher:

[spoiler]I DO think that Peter picked up the paint cans.  Claude picked up some things without them immediately becoming invisible.  It seems he has to make them do so.  Peter doesn't have nearly Claude's control over invisibility, and he'd only be picking them up for a split second.  In fact, the sequence of events on the rooftop pretty much convinced me that he has to use one at a time, otherwise, he could have just flow off with time still frozen, but he didn't.  He had to unfreeze time first.

That doesn't not mean, however, that he might learn to do so in the future, but that would make him almost too powerful.  People are already complaining online about Hiro being too powerful.[/spoiler]

EDIT:  Hmm, there's a new catchphrase on the official website, "No one is safe," with Matt's character featured prominently.

Also, the latest comic has a very strong hint as to who HRG's boss is.

[spoiler]
Hanna follows the electronic messages from him into a casino.  The comic doesn't say which casino, or where, but it does look like Linderman's casino, although it might just be a red herring.  She never finds the source, because she detects a video feed of a little girl getting ready to strip for a camera, so she lets the other signals dissipate, finds the guy behind the camera, beats him up, traces the signal back to every one logging on to watch, and emails the evidence of what they're doing to the local police stations of each and every customer. Probably the most heroic thing in the comics (or show) so far.[/spoiler]

Nymph

Has anyone been on the Primatech Papersite????

Its actually quite Fun!  :thumbup:

[spoiler]The Whole thing is like a put up until you go to the "About Us" page. Then you hit the P in Primatech.......
Username: Bennet
Password: Claire

The Profiles are:
1: Hana (Wireless)                          *Passwords for these can be found on different sites and forums*
2: Matt                                     There is also a Website out there set up to be like it's in Hana's head. 
3. Ted                                           URL: http://www.samantha48616e61.com/   
4. Gabriel (Sylar)[/spoiler]

Hana is the coolest! YAY WIRELESS!  :D

Conduit

[spoiler]
Quote from: GhostMachine on February 20, 2007, 02:02:53 AM
If he doesn't get what's coming to him next week, or Claire doesn't get away from him, what's Claire going to do next time HRG asks the Haitian to wipe her memories? I don't think he'd risk HRG's anger by faking it again.....

Maybe he'll just assume that her healing powers undid the midwipe, meaning that he can't erase her memories.

EDIT: There's also the fact that at this point, erasing Mrs. Bennet's memory again could quite possibly kill her.  So, if she finds out about things (highly likely given what happens the next episode), HRG probably wouldn't want to risk it.
[/spoiler]

lugaru

Loving the show, watching it on the website of course so Im a day behind. Three big things...

[spoiler]
1) Our invisible man is aparently a lot more than a street urchin. Thank god, It was bugging me to see a Bum act all Obi Wan Kenobi... but aparently he is one of the scientists or in some other way involved with the program.

2) I too was shocked to see Simone shot. In retrospect the character has always mildly rubbed me the wrong way (its an odd mix of her being naive and skeptical, maternal and downright mean) but she was pretty central, kind of like a coincidence that brought a lot of characters together. Also her death will mean some silence on the whole supers thing.

3) How is it possible that a super nerd like Hiro is unable to recognize a senile Stan Lee who has hijacked a greyhound bus?  ;)

[/spoiler]

|