• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

NBC's _Heroes_

Started by stumpy, February 01, 2007, 11:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Talavar

Peter so far has come into contact with his brother, the fly-boy, future Hiro, Isaac, Claire, Sylar, Dr. Who and the psychic cop.  Did I miss anyone?

stumpy

Quote from: bredon7777 on February 10, 2007, 09:01:18 PM
Ok, I've got to admit I find complaints about pacing surprising, given that Heroes is rocket propelled compared to most other things on the air *coughLOSTcough*.  I think, as comic book junkies, we are spoiled by the amount of action we get in our comics, and I feel it is highly unrealistic to expect the same amount of action from a televison show.

I certainly can't disagree about Lost. That's been my complaint about that show since midway through the first season.

But my complaint has nothing at all to do with action. Though I have nothing against them, I don't care about 'splosions or fight scenes. That's partly why the Niksica arc is still a disappointment, despite the fact that you can rely on some beatemup in her story. What I want is for the plot to show meaningful development during the episode. That doesn't mean a big rush to catch Sylar or to deal with Peter's impending meltdown; we will get to that, but it's just the end game.  But there is plenty of mystery to both develop and resolve yet.

[spoiler]
Quote from: bredon7777 on February 10, 2007, 09:01:18 PM
Hiro - Actually, stumpster we had a great deal of things we suspected about Hiro confirmed; he's loyal, quick thinking, generous, good-hearted, and has a long history - dating back to childhood - of being a geek like us.  Not much happened in terms of plot, there, true - but they have to walk a very fine line, because there really isn't all that much that Hiro at full power can't handle.  So, they're slightly dragging out him getting to Linderman and getting the sword.

But we know all about his traits, maybe not every single detail, but nothing revealed was a surprise in any way (e.g. we didn't know just how long he was into comics, but the first thing he did when he teleported to New York was buy one...) As much as I like the character, I easily prefer an episode or two where the focus shifts to the other characters so they can "catch up to him" (plot-wise) and we get only short scenes with Hiro and Ando to remind viewers where they are.

Quote from: bredon7777 on February 10, 2007, 09:01:18 PMSpeaking of- Linderman seems to be deliberatley arraning things so he has a great many Heroes in his debt- DL, Niki/Jessica, Nathan, Hiro.  Any one else get the feeling he's trying for an army?.

To early to tell, but he definitely wants to have influence over them. I can't guess if he has a specific mission in mind or if he is biding his time until they become useful to him. To be honest, if the writers don't get too up front with him by beating us over the head with his behind-the-scenes presence, he would be a good character to leave as a mystery for now (until maybe a late-season reveal) and develop into a major player for next season.

Quote from: bredon7777 on February 10, 2007, 09:01:18 PMOh and that scene at the museum?  Total Fake out.  Thanks to Proto, I have the T-Rex painting as my wallpaper, and a) Hiro's clothes are defeinitley being blown by T-Rex breath and b) He actually has the sword, not just the scabbard.

That would be a nice screen-saver. :-)

We already knew that there was more to that picture than a depiction of Hiro at the museum, though. It's clear from the first scene in which it appears (when Isaac paints it in front of Hiro and Ando) that Hiro looks very much to be holding a metallic sword, and not the black scabbard from the museum dinosaur scene. However, I can't tell that his clothes are being blown back; that could easily just be motion from the pose he was in.

Quote from: bredon7777 on February 10, 2007, 09:01:18 PMNikisca- Yes, I'm tired of this storyline too.  I was really hoping that the upcoming Hero death on March 5 was going to be Jessica (it's been confirmed that its a female, and that it was someone we saw in the first 10 minutes of the pilot) - but with the annoucment that its going to be a "good" Hero, I'm pretty sure it's Claire.

Which, since Hiro won't have met Claire, his timeline wont include her death, and he should be able to back and undo it.

I hadn't paid close attention to the rumors, but it could be Claire's biological mom, right? Or any other female regular. (Building a bit on catwhowalksbyhimself's point) in fact not only is Nikki good, but she's also a regular, non-special on the show. Maybe she dies and Jessica lives? There is zero reason to believe killing one necessarily kills the other. Having to deal with an unrestrained Jessica would be an interesting twist...

To be honest, I think that HRG has a habit of getting personally involved with some of the specials and I wouldn't be surprised if Mrs. HRG is one of them. He could have found her early on in his mission and kept her spaced out the same way he, apparently, plans to do with Claire. Maybe she communicates with animals (Hello, Mr. Muggles)  :P

Quote from: bredon7777 on February 10, 2007, 09:01:18 PMBut I digress. Yes, the sole purpose of this arc (well, other than the "Linderman's gathering an army" motif) seems to be to establish that a) Niki has the Super Strength too and b) At least for now, Jessica's got total control of the body.  Yawn.

Agreed. We knew about her strength before and we even knew that Jessica could take over at any moment before.

Quote from: bredon7777 on February 10, 2007, 09:01:18 PMStill, Heroes has a long way to go before losing me as a viewer. I'm willing to put up with the occasional slow arc as long as the payoff is good.

Ditto. As I said, I don't dislike the episode but, for reasons I've mentioned, I think this approach to pacing will mean sacrifices later in the season.

Quote from: bredon7777 on February 10, 2007, 09:01:18 PMClaire- Love, Love, Love Claire's mom.  The scene where the two of them demonstrate their abilities? Kick. Butt.  And I can totally buy Claire not asking about her real dad to the end- lying psycopath or no, she still feels an incredible bond with HRG, considering him in effect her "real" dad.

Her mom being a total space case (and Im sure the interfernce with her brain by the Haitan Sensation doesn't help) the bond is not as strong so she's far more curious about her real mother.

Maybe, but she has also felt betrayed by HRG. He has taken her friend from her, tried to brainwash her, and generally made himself untrustworthy and made it clear he isn't someone with whom she can share her secret (which is a big part of her motivating drama), though I am sure she knows he thinks he is protecting her.

But, she would not forget to ask about her biological father because, all this time since she realized the two actors weren't her parents, he was the only one she thought she might find alive. And, meanwhile, she was kinda put off when she saw that her mom was living in a trailer in some small town. She is not going to forget her little girl fantasy that her real dad is a prince somewhere with a castle she can be swept off to, once he joyously discovers she's still alive.

Quote from: bredon7777 on February 10, 2007, 09:01:18 PMSimone/Issac/Peter/Claude- Um, I'm not gonna shed any tears over Simone if she dies *hint hint NBC*.  I have zero interest in the triangle you are trying to set up.

Ha. Just how I feel. Maybe she takes the hit in the March ep...

Quote from: bredon7777 on February 10, 2007, 09:01:18 PMIssac voluntarily works with HRG now, Hm?  Intersting- and "It means an old friend isn't as dead as we thought"- chilling line, perfectly delivered.

Yes. That was cool. :cool: Of course, we don't know that HRG tried to kill Claude or anything like that, though it would be pretty standard writing to set up some animus between the "secret agent working for the man" type and the "lone wolf, trying to stay hidden" type.

Quote from: bredon7777 on February 10, 2007, 09:01:18 PMClaude - Rapidly becoming my second favorite male character on the show. I've been a fan of Eccelstons since his days as The Doctor and he turns in just as powerful a performance here.

It's interesting to me how many people are taken with Claude when he really hasn't done much so far. Peter was essentially correct when he took a stand against Claude on the rooftop: (as of yet) he doesn't have any answers (beyond the psychobabble), he is a lone parasite running from the world, and he was wrong about how Peter can use the powers. I like Claude, but he's no great shakes at this point. I'm wondering just how much of that is the Doctor Who appreciation creeping over. I never watch DW so I feel nothing extraordinary about Claude yet.

Quote from: bredon7777 on February 10, 2007, 09:01:18 PMThe scene where Peter is about to go nuclear (which, how? He never met Ted) and Calude decks him with a single punch?  Priceless.

Another good scene! But, Peter wasn't going nuclear. He was just re-experiencing the other powers he has been exposed to, including Isaacs (and his own) visions of the disaster to come.
[/spoiler]

(Hopefully that wasn't too disjoint. I got Ninja'd a couple times and finally decided to just post the doggone thing.)

catwhowalksbyhimself

[spoiler]
It has been clearly stated by official sources that the dead character appeared within the first 10 minutes of the pilot.  That rules out Claire's mom.  It does leave Niki in the running, though.  If it's also a female character, that narrows it down to Simone, Niki, and Claire.  Probably one of the last two, since it's supposed to be a major character that fans have come to care for.  I don't think Simone qualifies.

Jessica and Niki share the same body.  There's been no indication that hurting one wouldn't hurt the other, and that makes no sense to me.

Also don't read too much into the dino picture.  One of the producers in his blog has stated that the paintings are done before the scene is filmed, and sometimes before the script is even written for that scene.  Several other scenes intended to be the one shown in the picture have differed from the paintings substantially, something those who do the show aren't entirely happy about but can't always avoid.
[/spoiler]

stumpy

[spoiler]
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on February 10, 2007, 11:04:48 PMJessica and Niki share the same body.  There's been no indication that hurting one wouldn't hurt the other, and that makes no sense to me.

There's been no indication one way or the other so no reason for us to reach any conclusions. Meanwhile, we don't even know that Nikki and Jessica actually even share the same body. They have different brains and Nikki has a non-powered body whereas Jessica has a superpowered body with a tattoo. All we know is that the bodies look similar (as we would expect of twins) and Jessica's body appears in the same place Nikki's was while Nikki takes her place in some nearby reflective surface. Maybe one body is just the portal for the other. I'm not sayig that's for sure what happens, but we don't know any different from what we have been shown.

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on February 10, 2007, 11:04:48 PMAlso don't read too much into the dino picture.  One of the producers in his blog has stated that the paintings are done before the scene is filmed, and sometimes before the script is even written for that scene.  Several other scenes intended to be the one shown in the picture have differed from the paintings substantially, something those who do the show aren't entirely happy about but can't always avoid.

Good point. There are likely to be some false reveals in the show and this is as good a candidate as any. It would certainly be a big detour to have Hiro's storyline jump 65 million years into the past.
[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

[spoiler]
QuoteThey have different brains and Nikki has a non-powered body whereas Jessica has a superpowered body with a tattoo.
Good point with the tattoo, but both characters have superpowers.  Nikki has used superstrength at least once when not controlled by Jessica.  She did so without knowing what she was doing and was shocked when she did.  Plus there's no switching.  We've seen them switch places with no noticable change other than personality.  It's pretty obvious to me that there's only one body here.  That tatoo I dismiss as something done for the show's sake.
[/spoiler]

stumpy

[spoiler]I didn't think Nikki had been shown using any real super strength when we were sure Jessica hadn't popped in, so maybe I am forgetting something. When was that?

But, at least recently, there have been no scenes with a super powered Niksica when we could see an untatooed right shoulder. And, they have been very deliberate about showing it for Jessica on several occasions.

Of course, that still doesn't refute the theory that two of them share the same body and only Jessica knows how to use the powers. I am just saying that, with the writers emphasizing the tattoo switch and the fact that they can only communicate via mirrors (and not just mentally or via some other hallucination), the idea that they are really two separate beings instead of one person with a mental disorder should get some consideration.[/spoiler]

Alaric

[spoiler]
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on February 10, 2007, 11:04:48 PMJessica and Niki share the same body.  There's been no indication that hurting one wouldn't hurt the other, and that makes no sense to me.

Even if they do share the same body, destroying every trace of Niki's personality could theoretically kill her without harming Jessica.[/spoiler]

bredon7777

[spoiler]

When DL and Micah came to visit Niki in prison, it goes bad, and one of the guard goes to whack Niki with his nightstick - she catches it and snaps it cleanly and then stands there stunned with a "What the heck just happened?" look on her face as the other guards dogpile her.

I took that as a pretty clear indication that Niki has the power as well.

As for the tattoo - there have been cases of MPD where one of the personalities has been able to alter eye color (occupational hazard of working in mental health) - so the tattoo is a bit of a stretch, but not impossible (well, not impossible in a show about super powered people)

[/spoiler]

detourne_me

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on February 10, 2007, 11:04:48 PM
[spoiler]
  One of the producers in his blog has stated that the paintings are done before the scene is filmed, and sometimes before the script is even written for that scene.  Several other scenes intended to be the one shown in the picture have differed from the paintings substantially, something those who do the show aren't entirely happy about but can't always avoid.
[/spoiler]

yeah actually its Tim Sale who does all of the paintings,  Jeph Loeb brought him on to do the artwork for the show.  Loeb and Sale have done some of the most memorable graphic novels in recent years in my opinion...  A Superman for All Seasons, Batman : The Long Halloween and many more batman GN's, and they did a series of Marvel GN's all themed on colours, i only remember Daredevil:Yellow off the top of my head though.

stumpy

[spoiler]
Quote from: bredon7777 on February 11, 2007, 07:32:23 AMWhen DL and Micah came to visit Niki in prison, it goes bad, and one of the guard goes to whack Niki with his nightstick - she catches it and snaps it cleanly and then stands there stunned with a "What the heck just happened?" look on her face as the other guards dogpile her.

I took that as a pretty clear indication that Niki has the power as well.

Interesting. When I saw that, it seemed to me that Jessica had popped in to save Nikki, as she always does, and then popped out right away, leaving Nikki confused about what had happened. Of course, on second view, it could have been Nikki unexpectedly using powers, and she was wearing the prison jumpsuit, so we can't see the tattoo.

Recently, it seems as though even when Jessica is in charge, Nikki is more "there" in the sense that she remembers what happened and knows what Jessica has done, even though she was appalled and couldn't stop it.

As to the original question, though: Even if they are literally sharing the same body and the tattoo is just some throwaway gimmick, it is still possible that Nikki dies and Jessica lives. I am not proposing that as the most likely outcome at all, but it Jessica can take more damage than Nikki, so imagine if Nikki took some fatal blow and is laying there dead when suddenly the eyes pop open and she gets up, the camera panning her as she walks by, giving us just a glimpse of a tattooed right shoulder. Would that scene really so shocking to us? I think we could deal with it.

Quote from: bredon7777 on February 11, 2007, 07:32:23 AMAs for the tattoo - there have been cases of MPD where one of the personalities has been able to alter eye color (occupational hazard of working in mental health) - so the tattoo is a bit of a stretch, but not impossible (well, not impossible in a show about super powered people)

For sure, the tattoo could come and go on the same body, either as a side effect of the super powers manifesting or of Jessica's personality becoming dominant. My only issue with that is that the writers have made so much deliberate use of it, that it ought to mean something significant and not just be a red herring. Recall that it is a recurring symbol...

And, I find nothing unbelievable about Nikki just being someone with a psychological problem brought on by child abuse and the death of her sister. Why not? That's the typical story, that's what writers have been taught is "compelling" drama that makes a character "sympathetic" and "accessible". I would be a little disappointed in that because it is such an ordinary thing and this is a show about extraordinary things. But, I readily admit that the standard story template is for someone like that to "experience personal growth" and "deal with her issues" to the point where she gains direct control of her powers. Blah, blah, blah. Save it for the Lifetime network. To me, the more interesting idea is that Jessica really is a different being who is not driven by an urge to "do the right thing" and that Nikki and, eventually, the other specials have to learn to bargain with her in order to get her to help.
[/spoiler]

Conduit

[spoiler]
Quote from: stumpy on February 10, 2007, 10:49:48 PM
I hadn't paid close attention to the rumors, but it could be Claire's biological mom, right? Or any other female regular.

Claire's biomom isn't a regular.  In TV terminology, a regular is someone credited as part of the main cast.  In this show, the female regulars are Claire, Niki, and Simone, all of whom were in the first 10 minutes of the pilot.

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on February 10, 2007, 11:04:48 PM
If it's also a female character, that narrows it down to Simone, Niki, and Claire.  Probably one of the last two, since it's supposed to be a major character that fans have come to care for.  I don't think Simone qualifies.

Huh?  I've never seen it stated that it's someone fans have come to care for.  Even if that was stated somewhere, that's still extremely subjective.[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

I agree with your last statement.  It is all rather objective, but a guy can make educated guesses.

catwhowalksbyhimself

In case you haven't heard, Stan Lee's going to make a cameo appearance in a couple of weeks.

BentonGrey

Haha, AWESOME, Stan the man.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Some thoughts about tonights episode:

[spoiler]
I like the Hiro-Ando role reversal.  In spite of the way things turned out, I still think Ando behaved more like the hero here.

Well, after seeing Mrs. Petrelli tonight, we know where Nathan gets it from.

Am I the only one who thinks that there was no reason for the police not to believe Matt?  I mean you could see that the break in the window was not at ground level, Matt was outside, and the broken handcuffs have got to be around somewhere.  All the evidence back up what he said.  Seems to me that the writers are just starting to be hard on Matt just because.  At least he got the diamonds.

Yet another case of the writers bringing characters together naturally, only to force them apart before they actually meet.  I'm starting to get a wee bit sick of this.

So what exactly is Puddle Boy's power?
[/spoiler]

afterburn

[spoiler]Seems to me that the puddle boys powers are exactly that, to melt objects.  Although it would never happen, I would have like to seen Sylar go into his house, ask him to show him his power, and then say "Man, what am i gonna do with that, this is a complete waste of my time." 

My thoughts about who will be killed, if it's anybody in the cast, it's Isaac, on the sheer value that he has really run out of use the rest of the season except being a lackey of HRG, however, i doubt they'll kill him off.  I feel like it has to be Simone if it's a woman, for the sole reason that her death could push Peter over the edge with his emotions, which we have seen can control his powers.  That's my two cents.

Forgot about something.  I have a feeling one of the powers Sylar possesses is being bulletproof.  He takes the impact, as seen when he smashed into the fridge and dented it, and passes that energy along, which was what dented the fridge.  Thoughts?  [/spoiler]

Talavar

This episode was notable for one long-running thing...
[spoiler]
Demonstrating Sylar using a power other than telekinesis.
[/spoiler]

Nymph

Ugggggggghhhhhhh..........
[spoiler]Personally, I have to say I was very mad when Matt took the diamonds.
I was also very angry that Nikki didn't even try to fight Jessica out of her body.

I mean......Its your body.......do SOMETHING more then whine![/spoiler]

Im happy though because I liked.....

[spoiler]1. Lady with super hearing!
2. Wireless will be in the next episode!
3. If Wireless is in it there is a strong chance that Ted will be there too![/spoiler]

I have also noticed......
[spoiler]There is a trend on technology.
Micah = Able to manipulate the machinery to do anything through touch.
Wireless = Able to commune through technology with her brain. (Possibly more.)
Sylar = Able to see something broken and fix it....not just humans but that watch worked too.[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Just to clarify:

[spoiler]
The lady with superhearing was NOT in this episode, so if you didn't know what Nymph meant, you didn't miss anything.  There was a preview during Deal or No Deal where a scene was shown.
[/spoiler]

captainspud

Hey, at least something actually happened this time around.

*shrugs*

Conduit

This episode was definitely filler.  Very enjoyable filler, but filler nonetheless.  Very dissapointed with the complete lack of Peter and Isaac.

[spoiler]
I want to punch Meredith, Nathan's mother, and HRG.  Poor Claire, poor Mrs. Bennet, poor Mr. Muggles. :(

The Hiro and Ando plot was a little slow (that scene in the bedroom when they were arguing over whether they should leave or not was drawn out way too long).  But it was still enjoyable and Hiro's vulcan salute and "I come in peace" at the end more than made up for any shortcomings it had.  At least it will actually tie into their main plot.

The preview made it really look like Mrs. Bennet is going to die next episode, but that's just a red herring.  The actress is credited as guest starring in the episode after that.
[/spoiler]

Shogunn2517

What I find funny...

[spoiler]I live in Virginia Beach... and that wasn't Virginia Beach.  I know for the interest of money and time the actual set location was probably... some place else, where ever, but it's funny to know it looked as if they were on an elevated spot and the only elevated spot in this city is a mound of trash(formally).  And there are no palm trees at all and there's not a single spot in this city that even remotely resembles what it looked like outside of that house.[/spoiler]

But thanks for the shout out nonetheless.

stumpy

I thought it was generally pretty good. We got a bit of character development, some plot advancement, and most of the segments were pretty sound.

Some random comments/observations:

[spoiler]

Well, so it was wet work that Linderman wanted from Jessica. Apparently, he has an eye for talent and maybe he is testing her for other abilities as well... And, yeesh, there was some temerity in sending the same guy to free Jessica who was to be her first job. I guess it saved the effort of sending her a photo of him.  :o

I was disappointed that Matt took the diamonds. That was unnecessary and a tough thing to cover up. If an out-of-work cop who was a bodyguard during an incident where two million dollars went missing suddenly has money, someone is going to notice. And, by "someone", I mean Linderman (though, the cops are going to at least suspect him, too). Don't forget that Linderman and Jessica are in contact. So Linderman either thinks that the diamonds are still sitting there in the building somewhere (which means they will be found), that Jessica got them (which would be real chutzpah; for her to steal from him while she is trying to work off her debt from having stolen from him), or that Matt knows where they are. Regardless of which option Linderman thinks is most likely, there is no way he isn't going to "make sure" Matt tells all he knows. That bodes ill for Mrs. Parker. Never mind that Jessica probably wants to know how Matt knows about Nikki, though she may be the incurious sort.

Meanwhile it would have been fairly easy to at least make himself look good. He could have just said he heard his client mumbling about four and three before Jessica ambushed him and then he could have made a show of poking around the ceiling tiles and finding the loot, impressing everyone with his powers of observation and deduction. And, in general, a telepath can make himself look good just by having everyone else's grasp of a given situation.

I'm not saying this development isn't good for the plot, but I am disappointed that his self-esteem issue is turning into a serious moral failing.

As another aside, since his issues with his power have already gotten him suspended, never mind that everyone he meets is going to think he's some sort of nut, I wish Matt would realize he needs to show some discretion about the thoughts he's picking up and not blurt them out right away.

At least now we know for sure that Jessica is actually evil and not just someone acting to protect Nikki or Micah or whatever excuse she might use. She enjoyed her work.

Does anyone else think that maybe Nikki and Jessica could be headed for a separate existence? Wild guess, I suppose, but the stairwell scene made it pretty clear that, for the first time as far as I know, Nikki "appeared" to Jessica while not a reflection. It could be that she is becoming more substantial on her own. Or, it could just mean that the hallucinations are getting more free-form...

BTW, we saw that Jessica knows that the tattoo is something that distinguishes her from Nikki. Does Nikki know about it? (T wit, has she seen it?) I would assume so, since it seems she is conscious somewhere, even when Jessica is dominant. Presumably, if she got a chance she would tell DL and Micah to check for that.

Moving on, I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of sense for Linderman to want to have Nathan hit. I mean, he already has Nathan in his pocket (as much as he can) with the money and the pictures with Jessica. Why would he go through the trouble to cultivate that asset and then waste it?

Meanwhile, I agree that we learned something important about Nathan's character tonight. He has a nicer side that his mother works to keep suppressed, either for her own reasons or because she really thinks it's best for his career. Of course, he is an adult now, so if he's a jerk, it's on him. But at least we know he hasn't lost all of his decent inclinations, even if he lets himself be talked out of them.

(And, regarding the whole reason to bend over for the extortion, to be honest, I'm not sure having fathered an out-of-wedlock child when he was probably about twenty would really keep one fro winning elective office in New York City. Especially since he had every reason to believe that the kid and the mother both died years before he got married. However, if it gets out that he was paying hush money to keep the mother silent and that he knew about the child and refused to see her, then there is a real scandal and voter alienation...)

We didn't see Isaac, Peter, or Claude this ep. Oh, well. There was plenty going on and I would rather that some of these stories get a decent wedge of time rather than all of the stories get a tiny sliver.

So, anyway, despite her issues with her dad (the one who raised her), now Claire knows that her bio parents are hardly worth the DNA they donated. I agree with everyone that HRG is harsh on Claire and generally an ends-justify-any-means guy, which is unheroic. We really don't know what his actual goals and motivations are. But, Claire cut loose with the "you're not my real father" line (how predictable was that?  <_<) before she heard the conversation between Nathan and Meredith. Maybe now she will see that the people who have taken care of her for her whole life have earned the title more than the people whose relation is mostly a twist of fate or a broken condom.

BTW, do we have any indication that HRG knew beforehand that Lemnos' (my name for the Haitian) influence would do any permanent damage to Mrs. HRG? If he did, then the wickedness is hard to deny. If not, then at least he might have thought he was keeping her safe somehow, though I don't accept that as a justification.

I liked the Hiro-Ando segments. It is fun to see them try and do something with no powers, especially since Hiro is really the 800 pound gorilla, power-wise (excepting the mimics). And, as much as this particular route (to try and get the sword from Linderman) may turn out to be a dead end, it is realistic that every attempt isn't a bulls-eye. I still hope that they at least learn something about Linderman that is useful.

Also, "Thanks for the help, Sulu." If only she knew.  :rolleyes:

I liked Micah's take on how having powers means they should be heroes or something and they should talk about it. Of course, the ATM heists are a weak start... But I would be curious how Jessica handles that conversation.  :P

BTW, I think Mr. Liquid's powers could be very useful. For one thing, it makes him pretty hard to imprison. Also, in the right/wrong hands, there is no particular reason it shouldn't work on people. Of course, most of the time, writers like to assume that people are "special" somehow, which is fine from a power balance teleology, though that limitation is a little unlikely from a logical perspective (i.e., if you can melt a plastic phone, you can melt bones, etc.).

It looked to me that the puddles looked like they went back to being solid again after a while. I mean, the half-melted phone didn't look like the puddle it was in was still liquid. Did anyone else think that or are we to think that anything he turns to liquid stays liquid indefinitely? Just from a pure thermodynamics perspective (which I know is wasted in this genre), I would love to know if the liquefied items change temperature when liquefied or re-solidified. He may have sort of a source of free energy on his hands. (Which I guess could be said of most of these powers...)

To re-mention a previous aside, what the heck is wrong with these specials? Who wouldn't think having a super power, even an odd one like that, was cool? I mean, I could see if it were uncontrollable and everything he touched went to goo, but that obviously wasn't the case or he'd be naked and have fallen through the floor. I just wish there were more people who discovered their power who thought it was a good thing. Maybe that's one of the things I like about Hiro.

FWIW, the show was probably filmed on the west coast, including the Virginia Beach scenes. It always catches my eye when shows have a beach scene that is supposed to be on the East coast somewhere and it has obviously been filmed in California. There must be a half dozen instances of that in Seinfeld, for example, which otherwise goes out of its way to be a New York City show (even if it's all back lots and sound stages).
[/spoiler]

Conduit

You should probably check out the new graphic novel.

[spoiler]It proves that Sylar has indeed acquired cryokinesis and Charlie's supermemory.  It's good to see other superpowers of his finally coming into play.[/spoiler]

starlock

good episode, but i have a feeling that they are changing things as they go,i think when they got re-newed for a second season they are re-thinking and re-writing the scripts

bredon7777

[spoiler]

Niki/Jessica - I'm a little confused about the timing here.  Jessica calles Linderman and agrees to be a hitter in exchange for freedom.  Linderman sends weasel guy to free her. Weasel guy turns right around and steals 2 million dollars from Linderman causing Linderman to hire Jessica to kill him?  Seems rather implausible, even for this show.

Oh, and Niki on the stairs - I just figured that meant Niki was getting stronger. First only in refelctions, then a free-standing hallucinations- then fighting for the body.  Interesting that Matt can hear her, though.

As for why Linderman would want Nathan hit - I can think of a few reasons, starting with Nathan's blackmailing him for an extra 2 million.  Of course, it might all be some sort of set-up; I keep getting this image of Linderman moving Heroes around on a giant chess board.

Hiro/Ando - Hee.  All the best lines, as usual.  "I come in peace" "Stop saying everything I said to you."  And don't blame Ando - I've read that Hope has an uber sex-appeal power.

Claire/Meredith/Nathan/HRG- Ok, now I don't like Meredith quite so much :( (I've never liked Nathan, so...) I'd be curious how HRG knew about the tickets.  And I thought that repeated brain wipes by the Haitain Sensnation were not helping Claire's mom from being a space case. Nicely played, show.

Sylar/Mohinder - Mohinder is now offically the dumbest smart person I know (unless further episodes reveal that Sylar is using some sort of power on him).  The guy on the phone sounded and acted NOTHING like the guy he met.  But yay for FINALLY showing that Sylar is, indeed acquiring new powers.

Matt - Yay for finally acquiring something requiring a backbone.  Boo for using it to go to the dark side.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the new phrase is "No one is safe."  Though they can keep repeating "Someone dies" every episode, because someone dies on this show a lot :).

[/spoiler]

bredon7777

Quote from: stumpy on February 13, 2007, 12:44:55 AM

To re-mention a previous aside, what the heck is wrong with these specials? Who wouldn't think having a super power, even an odd one like that, was cool? I mean, I could see if it were uncontrollable and everything he touched went to goo, but that obviously wasn't the case or he'd be naked and have fallen through the floor. I just wish there were more people who discovered their power who thought it was a good thing. Maybe that's one of the things I like about Hiro.

THANK YOU!  This is my main problem with 99% of Marvel's output.  I don't care what power you've got, I still think most folks are going to go "COOOOOOOLLLLL!" rather than "Freak! Kill it! Die! Die!"

catwhowalksbyhimself

If you saw the preview before this episode, you would have met another hero who does find her powers to be VERY useful--and uses them to turn the tables on Sylar.

[spoiler]
In the clip, Mohinder and Sylar meet a character with superhearing.  When Mohinder tells her that it must be hard, she replies with "Are you kidding, this is the best thing that ever happened to me!"  She then explains that her power lets her sense minute mood changes in people because she can hear all their body functions in detail, then turns and looks at Sylar and tells him "you're very nervous about something."
[/spoiler]

stumpy

That's very cool and it seems real to me. If I got even a second-tier power like microscopic vision, I would be psyched. Heck, I think, in real life, the Legion of Substitute Heroes all have cool powers.  ;)

[spoiler]
Just another note on the scene where Matt catches Jessica and handcuffs her to the rail:

1) When she drops the gun down the stairwell, it floats around quite a bit while it drops, making me think it's a lightweight plastic prop. No big deal, but it looks funny.

2) After all the thoughts he was picking up from Jessica earlier, it bugs me that he didn't get any indication of how surprised she was that he could "hear" Nikki. More importantly, he didn't seem to have any clue that she was totally lying to him when she said Nikki was probably off killing Malsky at that moment.

Of course, if he called her on it, she probably would have tossed him over the rail...
[/spoiler]

afterburn

[spoiler]Couple things about Mohinder.  I gave him a lot more credit, he definitely suspects something about Sylar, but he's unsure of what it is.  Mohinder called the guy, and the guy called back to Mohinder, which made me think since he was scared, the phone melted a bit.  I mean remember when Sylar took telekinesis from that guy, the guy didn't have great control over his power, but when Sylar took it, he had amazing control over it.  I think the same is for the melting objects stuff.  Zane, I finally remember his name, was scared and half melted the phone, not knowing fully how to use his power, and then when Mohinder saw Sylar completely melt something really easily, and then looked at the half melted phone, something began to stir in his mind about Sylar.  He's not sure what it is, but he wants to understand more about him.  I want to rewatch it to see if Sylar made any slip ups about calling and so forth because they showed Mohinder stare at that half melted phone twice I believe.[/spoiler]

|