• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

New Futurama

Started by stumpy, February 10, 2007, 06:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camma

Quote from: lgmss on August 29, 2007, 02:54:42 AM
Jurassic Bark always brings me down too, cause you always wish that he did bring the dog back. There is another episode like that where Fry keeps saying that his brother's a jerk and you keep seeing flashbacks of when his brother is mean too him, and then your made to think that he stole Fry's name, only to find out in the end that his brother named his son after Fry.

Yes! As i was rereading the thread i was thinking of Luck of the Fryish as the second most emotionally touching episode.  Especially if you were young in the 80s and saw The Breakfast Club 800 times, playing Dont You Forget About Me tugs at the heartstrings.

But that episode has some great funny lines too:

Young Fry: Ahh, the Breakfast Club.  I can't wait until i feels ways about stuff.

Ares_God_of_War

yeah Jurassic Bark always makes me sad. especially the end where you see what happened to the poor dog

stumpy

Well, I have never felt more apropos necroposting.

I bought the Futurama - Bender's Big Score DVD tonight and I just finished watching it. I'll have to say, I enjoyed it. (I was worried that my expectations would be too high, but I kept them under control.) I won't post any spoilers here, but there were plenty of nods to the fans, some decent plot twists, and even the DVD extras were pretty good.

And, for better or worse, it was longer than I expected. I mean, I guess it wasn't longer than a normal movie, but it was longer than the 22 minute episodes I am used. So much so that several times I felt like it must be about over and there was still plenty left. Anyway, it was pretty good all the way through, even if the pacing seemed a little stretched.

So, has anyone else taken the plunge yet? Anyone think the new character, Zylex, stole the show?  ;)

TheMarvell

how long is the film? Is it like the Family Guy direct to dvd movie Stewie Griffin Untold Story? where it's basically 3 episodes stringed together? Or is it more like an actual movie?

I look forward to seeing it, but it probably won't be for a while.

stumpy

The run time is listed as 88 minutes. To me, it seemed like an actual movie. When I watched the Family Guy movie, it was pretty easy to spot the breaks where the movie would be snipped apart to make into television episodes. Obviously, with an 88 minute movie, it isn't tough to imagine that they could grab four 22 minute segments for episodes, but the breaks weren't so obvious to me and I have read that they recorded more material to flesh out what was in the movie for the episode production.

Talavar

I've managed to hold off on buying this because I'm sure to get a copy at Xmas, but I want to see it badly.

BentonGrey

Woo-hoo!  I'll be getting this the very first second I can manage!

Previsionary

It was good, but not great, imo. I wouldnt even put it as classic futurama since it wasn't nearly as funny as the old episodes were and I suspect that's from the 4 years or so of not working on the show. At least all the voices remained the same so that eased the transition...not even family guy had that going for it in season 4. The beginning was kinda over-the-top, but hey, every  fox show takes pot shots at fox entertainment. After that, it did seem to fall into a groove with a pattern of it being good, boring, good, boring for the rest of the movie.

[spoiler]
However, I did like all the references and characters they managed to work in, yet; after Nibbler's initial relevation, no one really cared about him being smart so it felt like that plot was just dropped. The last two times that happened, the characters involved were shocked, eventually accepted it, and were mindwiped at the end. *shrugs*[/spoiler]

Anyway, I'd rate it a good 7.5 out of 10. I'm hoping the next few movies and episodes up the ante a bit. Also...time traveling sucks...even when it explains/answers stuff. :P

P.S. On the splitting into episodes thing:
Quote from: Matt GroeningWe're writing them as movies and then we're going to chop them up, reconfigure them, write new material and try to make them work as separate episodes.

So similar to Family guy's 3 episode movie but with added parts and probably some scene edits.

TheMarvell

what voices were changed from Family Guy's return?

crimsonquill

Quote from: TheMarvell on November 30, 2007, 11:31:15 PM
what voices were changed from Family Guy's return?

Well, "Changed" in the fact that most of the voice cast went on to doing American Dad or other projects if they didn't have a character in the new show.. and because of their long hiatous they had to relearn the exact voices and personality of their old characters all over again. The Futurama team mension this in the commentary of their own movie disc and many classic toons went thru this too (The Flintstones after being put on hold for many years and then returning when their kids were teenagers - thus the original cast was 20 years older and had not kept their vocals in shape during that time off).

- CrimsonQuill

Ares_God_of_War

Bender's Big Score in on Comedy Central tonight  :)

MJB

Sat down and watched this for the first time earlier. Honestly it was entertaining in parts but boring in others.

I can chalk it up to the fact that it's been 2+ years since the series got canned. Can't wait to see new episodes. :)

-MJB

The Hitman

The next movie, "The Beast With a Billion Backs" will be out June 24! At least, I think G4 said June 24...

Ares_God_of_War

I liked it :)

[spoiler]As soon as that whole time travel crap started happening I knew Lars would end up being Fry. The one thing I did like was that Seymour did have a good life except for maybe the last 2 years when Fry was at sea looking for the whale and he was flash fossilized by Bender[/spoiler]

Glitch Girl

Ares
[spoiler]I heard they got so much flack about "Jurrasic Bark" being one of the saddest episodes ever, this was sort of their way of saying  to everyone "it's okay, everything was fine, we're not into animal cruelty".

Though I have to admit, I liked this resolution better.
[/spoiler]

Previsionary

I liked Jurassic Bark, though it was pretty down with the sad tones. It's probably one of my top 15 episodes, but it was nice seeing seymour  again in the movie.

MJB

Personally, I prefer the sad ending. Meh, to each their own.

-MJB

Talavar

Yeah, the sad ending was definitely better.  Sure, it had a bit of a tragic bite, but it really said something about the loyalty and faithfulness of that little dog.

the_ultimate_evil

it didn't really help the first time i saw jurassic bark, i had to take my dog to the vets 3 days before

Ares_God_of_War

Although it was sad to me as well Jurassic Bark is probably one of my fav. and most memorable episodes. An TUE thats sad man :( I hope your dog was o.k.

The Hitman

Jurassic Bark is one of my favorites as well, but for me, it was all the references to Rudy Ray Moore's Dolemite that got me.

Previsionary

SUPER NECRO BUMP OF DOOM!

Just bumping this thread since the next futurama movie comes out in exactly 7 days for US/Canada.

Camma

Yep, tis on the top of my netflix que so hopefully i will actually get to see it next week.

The Hitman

Already reserve ordered my copy. Under the name "Bender B. Rodregez," no less.

stumpy

Ummm. I hate to say it, but I was underwhelmed when I watched it last night. Of course, I was also nearly-nodding-off tired, so maybe it will be better on a second viewing, but the pacing wasn't quite working for me, even though I laughed at some of the gags.

MJB

Just watched "BWABB" and I loved it. Lots of "classic" jokes and many, many cameos. was it as good as the pinnacle of "Futurama"? Perhaps not. Was it cute and interesting? Yes.

-MJB