• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Tomato's artwork: An Avatar Christmas (12/25)

Started by Tomato, March 20, 2007, 05:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Previsionary

That looks pretty cool, sir tomato. Though...for some reason...the church of podmark randomly came to mind. I...I don't know why. One thing i noticed: Where's the greatest villain of all?! Me? :P There's not even a tpe, alaric, or tiobe with there large vocabulary. You totally need one of them spouting off long dialogue that you can easily get lost in...it's the only way! :P

*note: you can effectively ignore everything after the church of podmark comment*

UnkoMan

Frig, that looks awesome Tomato. I did do a skin/hex of Hammond, if you want that.

Hey, you know what would be an obvious and excellent idea? Make this the opening screen for the FR mod thingie. Even though most of those people never added their avatars. *sigh*
Still, it'd be awesome.

Reepicheep

It does look pretty awesome.

Although, my little nit-pick is that the Reepicheep mesh is outdated by a few years now. Carravaggio is making one as we speak (glare in Carra's direction) of the new design.

This does need some previsionary goodness too. :P

Tomato

Quote from: Reepicheep on October 08, 2007, 12:10:25 AM

Although, my little nit-pick is that the Reepicheep mesh is outdated by a few years now. Carravaggio is making one as we speak (glare in Carra's direction) of the new design.

Hey, I'm completely open to new additions, if you can email me actuall skins to these guys I'd appreciate it, and I do look forward to the new Reep!

As for Hammond... I don't have time now Unko, but expect a PM in a few hours about that

Figure Fan

Tomato, this is awesome! I'm using it as my desktop. :cool:

The Pwime

:thumbup: !!!

thanks for tossing me in there  :wub:, by the way, though i really should release my newer avatar skin...the old one is looking more and more horrendous every second.  :mellow:

Tomato

Quote from: Figure Fan on October 09, 2007, 05:32:21 PM
Tomato, this is awesome! I'm using it as my desktop. :cool:

Thanks, I do appreciate it.

Quote from: The Pwime on October 09, 2007, 06:10:43 PM
  :thumbup: !!!

thanks for tossing me in there  :wub:, by the way, though i really should release my newer avatar skin...the old one is looking more and more horrendous every second.  :mellow:

I know the feeling... I get the itch to redo my avatar or one of my older skins every few months or so.

Anybody got any avatars they wanna send me? I've got Ren's and a few others I'd like to add (I'm having some trouble with skopes and credits for a couple, meh) but I'm open to new ones.

Villain avatars would be especially appreciated, and I might even be conned into doing skins for them if that's what it takes. I'm working on a few now though, so I wouldn't be able to get on it immediately.

Tomato

Reposting this from the Freedom Reborn Mod discussion. If you haven't been over there yet, go now. NOW SIMPLETON!

Carravaggio

Quote from: Reepicheep on October 08, 2007, 12:10:25 AM

uh...y'see, the thing is...ahem....RL champ, but its all done save for the main skin, stay tuned.
Tomato, I'll post you my avatar so you can include it. I'm not going to release it til i get the FFX and heo file stuff for him...uh, me...worked out.
Top work on the logo by the way, those colours are incredibly vibbrant and they leap out at me. Very solid, very tight work man.

Tomato

Not a big update or anything yet (I've played with the desktop, but I've only added like three characters sofar, so it's not really worth upgrading... once Unko and I get done with our projects, I might have more, meh) but I just spent about five minutes and finished off my version of the Tomato micro that's been sitting on my hard drive for months now.

-I began this back when the Juanco micros were all the rage for everyone, and I was feeling a little left out, so I decided to make my own :P. But I couldn't ever get that blasted head right, so it's just been wasting space. I came across it today, and decided to finally finish it. But rather then fighting a futile war with that head, I cheated a bit... that's the head from the latest version of the FF skin/mesh stuck on there.

vamp

I would have just plainly cheated and got the whole thing from a skin/mesh.

I know how you feel about the mircros and stuff like that though. I never get nothing, but I don't do nothing either so, meh. You at least skin and mesh. Like your micro though, looks pretty nice.

Though it may just be me (I'm partially color blind) but the black on the outfit looks too monochromatic. But like I said its probably just me.

Tomato

I'm not really resentful at Juanco or anyone else actually(Seeing more of me would be cool, but I have somewhere around 2 new designs of my own to skin, ack. Plus, I'm not COMPLETELY ignored... Unko and Billdamn have both done versions, and Ink was the one who actually designed my old avatar Red Ant), This had more to do with the fact that I'd rather do things myself then beg someone else to, especially when I'm perfectly capable of doing something myself.

Plus, I wanted to try my hand at Juanco's specialized style of micros. Looking at them, I see both classic spriting techniques mixed with the blending and shading we use for skinning. I'm good at both, so as an artist it was an interesting thing to play with.

I don't understand your meaning on the monocromatic though, I'll admit. Looking at it again, I want to go back and enhance the highlights on the blacks, but I don't see much need to add color to those areas.

vamp

Like I said it was probably just me. What I meant was that the highlights needed more contrast. But then again I am partially color blind so it probably is just me.

Oh and I used the wrong word, I didn't mean monochromatic. That made no sense what so ever.

And I'm not resentful of Juanco either. But I guess what I said sounded a tad on the spiteful side. I didn't mean it that way though. I can no longer "speak" anymore without me sounded like a baffon. Oh well, I am one so, whatever. :D

But like I said earlier, your micro is nice, far beyond my talents. Good job  :thumbup:

Tomato

Quote from: vamp on October 30, 2007, 04:33:39 AM
Like I said it was probably just me. What I meant was that the highlights needed more contrast. But then again I am partially color blind so it probably is just me.

Oh and I used the wrong word, I didn't mean monochromatic. That made no sense what so ever.

And I'm not resentful of Juanco either. But I guess what I said sounded a tad on the spiteful side. I didn't mean it that way though. I can no longer "speak" anymore without me sounded like a baffon. Oh well, I am one so, whatever. :D

But like I said earlier, your micro is nice, far beyond my talents. Good job  :thumbup:

No it wasn't just you, the highlights are too dark... I suspect that when I added the texture it made it too strong, so now the highlights are too faded (I was going to come back with a single word just to act smart, but I can't find one, grah)

As for Juanco, I actually was more concerned that I'd come off that way, I tend to blunder into insults without meaning too sometimes.

juancho

guys please relax

1) just for hte fun of it, my name is JuancHo :P
2) as you must have gussedi  have very limited tiem to work on this stuff, and FR is a board full of members, with awsoem avs and such, i just do whatever strieks me first, i dunno, whatever i think is a challenge
3)vamp, you may consider a good idea for people to take interest in your avatar is to actually have some pic of him. I tend to go around FR and whenever i find a display pic i like i digg into the persosn thread to find out mroe about his char

Good job on the micro, I would challenge you to make the head again, but not to copy it from the skin, I know you can do it,
Lets add an extra bit of flavor here, if you do fix the micro, and post it, i will do a Tomato micro for u. :D

Tomato

Quote from: juancho on October 30, 2007, 09:36:42 AM
guys please relax

2) as you must have gussedi  have very limited tiem to work on this stuff, and FR is a board full of members, with awsoem avs and such, i just do whatever strieks me first, i dunno, whatever i think is a challenge
3)vamp, you may consider a good idea for people to take interest in your avatar is to actually have some pic of him. I tend to go around FR and whenever i find a display pic i like i digg into the persosn thread to find out mroe about his char

Good job on the micro, I would challenge you to make the head again, but not to copy it from the skin, I know you can do it,
Lets add an extra bit of flavor here, if you do fix the micro, and post it, i will do a Tomato micro for u. :D

Ack, my bad spelling of names bites me once again... sorry Juancho  :banghead:

Honestly, don't worry about not doing everyone, I understand completely. I did some sprites based on the heads from KH:CoM as avatars for a KH RPG and trying to do everyone's major character was an effort in futility >.<

I'll see what I can do about the head, though I won't make any definate promises... If I changed it I'd need it to top the one from the mesh, and it came out fairly nifty... hmmm... *goes off to try a few things*

Figure Fan

I like the new micro, Tomate (Spanish spelling).

I didn't even notice that it was the head from your skin, either. Looks like it was made like the rest of the micro.

Oh, and JuanCo is a swell guy, eh?  :P

vamp

guys please relax

Sorry about the spelling.

And I have no problem with my lack of things made by other people. In fact, I don't find it a lack. To me anything you or anyone else makes for anyone is a gift. I could be a gift from friend to friend, or praising someone for doing good. I at the moment am nither of those so I honestly could careless. But I get where it may have seemed like i was jealous/discontent with that stuff. I guess my word choice tends to be a little stronger than what I actually mean alot.

Quote from: Figura Ventilador on October 30, 2007, 05:47:03 PM

Yeah, and JuanCo is the english spelling :P

Oh, and look at the name of the quoter

Tomato

Quote from: Figure Fan on October 30, 2007, 05:47:03 PM

I didn't even notice that it was the head from your skin, either. Looks like it was made like the rest of the micro.

Oh, and JuanCo is a swell guy, eh?  :P

Yeah, it was weird... my intent was to stick it on there to get the shape right and then redo the shading and texture, but I looked at it and went "Hey, that looks pretty nice" so I left it.

I do see some things I want to change though... But again, It's all a matter of when I have opportunity. I'm still ploding away at the mod and website plus my own stuff plus R/L and all it's 24/7 insanity.

I haven't got homework tonight, so I suppose I could do this now... but I've got another project that I should have finished weeks ago that I've been putting off. Stay Tuned!

Reepicheep

Aww, thats not fair. Now he doesn't have a choice.

:P

Tomato

For those that haven't seen it on my deviantart page first (If you don't have my favorited, shame on you) the colored version of my Tomato pic is up, but I'll post it here for the rest out you.

The following is copied from the deviantart description:

This is the second in a series more typical cell-shaded drawings, This time the main man, Tomato. I have one more character I definately want to do in this style, and possibly a fourth.

As for the name and text- I hate backgrounds. Most of you all who know me know that. So as I'm considering what sort of new-fangled filters and crud to add to mask the fact that I don't know what I'm doing an idea comes to me to add text instead, do a play on that.

All the text is essentially spoilers for what would be a final arc for one section of the Influx series, except for one which is used months later. All are said by Tomato, but the target of the quote varies, and no more then four to the same person.

Tomato

I probably should move this whole thread over to Alternate Avatars at this point, that's all I seem to be doing in here  :rolleyes:

This is a prime example of how a good color job can make even the most horribly mangled sketch/ink into something salvageable. I put this sketch together one night when I was up really late (I get all artsy and out of my mind crazy in the wee hours of the morning. No, seriously, one night I went so far off the deep end I seriously considered a cheese and Twinkies sandwich.) and I saw someone's then-current avatar and thought "Ha, I'll show you that you aren't good!!!11one"

And thus, this emerged. I really like the design, and I'm moderately pleased with how the overall image looks (the sketch was merely ok, but the color job makes up for/glosses over some of the issues in scale and what have you) so I thought I'd share. No-prize to anyone (sans Prem, Reep, and the one I made it for because I already told them.) who can guess just whose avatar it is supposed to be.

Now... for a Twinkies sandwich. Yum.

juancho

wow really nice job buddy
I am going to guess it is for GGiant, but then again I might be wrong :P

GGiant

Who is that Tomato? He looks familiar...;)
Uhh...thanks! :thumbup:
It looks like 2008 is my lucky year!(I'm not telling why!):P
BTW, here is a pic Tomato showed me, I call it V1.0 ;)

UnkoMan

I like that design, actually. Nice, unique colour scheme, and just the right amount of frill without being overly complicated. I would love to see a giant hex/skin of this.

Tomato

This probably comes as no surprise to anyone now, but yes, it is GGiant. I should have said something after Juanco posted, but I got Super Mario Galaxy for Christmas, and it's been sucking up my life for a few days now.

Quote from: UnkoMan on December 27, 2007, 10:06:51 PM
I like that design, actually. Nice, unique colour scheme, and just the right amount of frill without being overly complicated. I would love to see a giant hex/skin of this.

Well... I am thinking about it. As I said (or I hope I said) I like the design, and as much as I complain I absolutely love doing Avatar skins, so skinning it isn't that much of a stretch for me  :P

Still, it probably won't happen for awhile. I've got Mesh Matters competition to finish up(two skins, grah), and then I want to take a break from Avatars for a bit... finish tweaking three of my old chars that I'd been working on new stuff for(meshes designs, etc), then make up some new ones before I break back into avatars again.