News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Recoloring an FX

Started by Jimaras8, February 12, 2021, 11:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randomdays

Jim,

I take it you can do a screen grab okay?

For pictures, pick a good free site to upload. I looked around and picked "postimages.org" because some other users here had picked it. Its free - you make an account, and then just drag and drop a picture from explorer onto their page and it uploads.

You'll get a few ways below your pic on how to post it. If you select "hotlinks for forums", you can simply copy/paste that into your post and it should show up in preview and when you post.

RD

Jimaras8

Thanks RD. I have my screenshots from feaps but i didnt know how to directly post them here. I will check it out  :thumbup:

oktokels

Quote from: Jimaras8 on April 09, 2021, 10:44:26 AM
Thanks RD. I have my screenshots from feaps but i didnt know how to directly post them here. I will check it out  :thumbup:

I upload my screenshots to imgur (you don't need to make an account) and then i post them here using the following line:

[img width=500]https://imgur.com/YRnd0No.jpg[/img]

Just copy your link and paste it there where it belongs. Remember to write ".jpg" if it doesnt show. The width number regulates the size of the pic.

Jimaras8

Ok, let's see if that works. Here is how Miles recolored Venom Blast looks. I think i did ok for a first ever try. I will upload the silver bullet later. it still has white areas, i dont know what else i need to recolor.

Jimaras8

And here is the phantom_pistol fx that i'm trying to turn silver. I have hidden the Lightning parts, i have recolored the lightning.tga, lightning-glow.tga, spark_silver.tga and muzzleflash_orange_01.tga. As you can see in the pic there are still little white areas in the fx. Does anyone has any tip on what might be amiss?

Jimaras8

Does anyone have any advice on why some fx appear white in game? Should i convert their textures to dds? Will that help?

oktokels

Quote from: Jimaras8 on May 03, 2021, 10:26:51 AM
Does anyone have any advice on why some fx appear white in game? Should i convert their textures to dds? Will that help?
yes, but it also could be something with the alphas, the transparency of the textures. That is something that i don't know much of.

Jimaras8

I mnaged to tinkke a bit with hues and contrast and i'm satisfied with the result so that isue is fixed. Does anyone know ho i can make a beam thinner or thicker. I'm trying to change the electromagnetic pulse beam's ray to be thicker but everytime i go to transform>edit and i increase the Scale in Nifskope the beam becomes longer whreas i want it to onl become thicker. Does anyone know if i can achieve that?

Here is the FX in question. I'm not trying to change the two ightning orbs in the start an end of the core.nif, only the main ray of electricity.
][url=https://postimg.cc/sQnH2Zmt][/url]

Jimaras8

Hey guys, i'm gonna some help after all with the silver bullte fx. I like the color and the metallic hue it has but the shape is a little rough in the edges as you can see in the pic. Is is the contrast? How can i smoothen it out?
][url=https://postimg.cc/grDrP0NF][/url]

oktokels

Sorry for the delay, i've been working and traveling.  :doh:
I see no rough edges on the fx you posted, but if you want to alter the shape of the bullet, you can do that just by modifying the right texture in any image editor software.
Try with the eraser, or the brushes, to get the shape you want.
There's also a smooth tool somewhere on paint.net.

Sorry for the lack of a more specific answer, but i don't see the problem in the image you posted. My best advice is to try and alter the shape of the bullet, by trying different tools in the image editor.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Jimaras8

No worries, i too am busy with my exams. It's a little rough in its shape since i converted it to dds and i beefed up the contrast and brought down the lightness to give it a metallic look. It's jjust in the exterior of the texture.

Jimaras8

Hey Okto, a follow up question. Do you thinkt he sharpness is due to the contrast alterations? I pulled the slider to the left a healthy amount, does that affect the shaprness of the object?

Also do you know the easiet program for someone to alter the shape of a texture. As you know i'm a total newbie in that kind of stuff  :D

BentonGrey

I'm speaking out of my ignorance here, but I use GIMP, the free image editor, for my very clumsy changes to textures.  You have to download a plugin for DDS, but it's easy enough to do, and there are tutorials out there for everything.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

oktokels

Quote from: Jimaras8 on July 03, 2021, 08:11:17 AM
Hey Okto, a follow up question. Do you thinkt he sharpness is due to the contrast alterations? I pulled the slider to the left a healthy amount, does that affect the shaprness of the object?
Yes, that could happen. Adding more contrast to any image, makes the shadow-light relation more visually evident, so that could affect the edges indeed. But nothing as much as using the Sharpness tool (Effects, Photo and then Sharpen). If you want to make the image more blurry you can do it with the blur effects (effects/blur).

QuoteAlso do you know the easiet program for someone to alter the shape of a texture. As you know i'm a total newbie in that kind of stuff  :D

Cannot help you much with that. I only use paint.net, because for me is the perfect combination between the simplicity of microsoft paint and the tools of adobe photoshop

Jimaras8

Benton, is there a smoothing tool in Gimp? I only use it for conversion and i havent looked into the other features.

Okto, does the sharpen tool increase sharpness and the bluring tool decreases it? Sorry if i didnt get it right.

oktokels

Quote from: Jimaras8 on July 04, 2021, 09:22:42 AMOkto, does the sharpen tool increase sharpness and the bluring tool decreases it? Sorry if i didnt get it right.

Yes, sorry my english sometimes gets messed up haha  :doh: :doh:

Jimaras8

No, you were very helpful, i jsut wanted to make sure hahaha. Do you know which of the blur effects is better for the outer exterior of the bullet? Do i have to play with the surface blur, motion, radial blue etc?

oktokels

i'd try first with surface blur, if you are not satisfied, then try the others

Jimaras8

Ok, thanks i will play with those a bit  :thumbup: