List of "Questions" for my total conversion.

Started by naitvalis, April 13, 2020, 10:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

naitvalis

Here i post the questions about the things i need to change for my warhammer 40,000 total conversion of :ff:.
(However i will release the stuff periodically aside from the complete thing so everyone could start play with this toys in the way they like).
First thing first, i need to change the range of the attacks, basically i need a very long range for missiles , lascannons and suchs while the medium range will have the range of the actually long range, aniway to do this my friends?

spydermann93

I'm not sure exactly if you can alter the exact range of the various range values, but perhaps an "Infinite" range will work?

I believe they still require Line of Sight to use (and to be able to see the enemy, but it might work for any artillery.

Unfortunately, I don't recall any way to change the actual distance for ranged values other than power levels (which isn't exactly feasible or doable).

naitvalis

The best will be to double the long range and  accord the line of sight to this to view more distant, also at this point change the medium and short range, however i'm flexible to any kind of solution to have more range. Thanks for your interest in this little project spydey.

BentonGrey

I'm afraid Spyder is probably right.  I've thought about this myself (the shortened ranges in  :ffvstr: are one of those little details that annoy me).  But just selecting 'infinite' for range once you have the powers built-in will allow you to simulate this for artillery and such.

Also, good luck, Nait!  I will be really happy to share my modding experience with you for whatever you need!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

naitvalis

Thanks Ben for sharing your experience in mod, i sure need many information, however  :ff: unfortunately don't have the infinite range as a setting for the power, i must look forward to find where that values are stored.

spydermann93

Curious question: why are you using :ff: instead of :ffvstr:?

Just personal preference or something?

naitvalis

When it comes out i was deluded from  :ffvstr: i expect a game with big improvement like entering the buildings or maybe a good vehicle use, also other things like an editor for items, and of course a more flexible use of them ( i mean you fight a thug with a gun, so you could disarm him and use that gun), however instead :ffvstr: looks like  :ff: except for a tons of bugs ( now in most part solved by the members of this community) and that colors! I really hate the use of colours for the levels in  :ffvstr: , also don't forget the system of knockback was ten point worst of :ff: ( this one solved to as far as i know) and the lack of possibility to modify the intensity of the powers in game.

spydermann93

ah, understandable

I know there are definitely things that I wish came back from :ff:. *sigh*

BentonGrey

Hahaha, yeah.  Would that I had infinite money and could just hire folks to 'fix'  :ffvstr:.

As Spyder says, that's understandable, but you should really give  :ffvstr: another chance these days, as there's a ton of wonderful content out there for it, and EZScript makes modding way easier (so easy even I can manage it) if you don't already know scripting.

Nonetheless, I'm afraid I won't be as much help for  :ff:, as all of my experience is for the second game.  Still, I'll be happy to do what I can!  :)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

naitvalis

Two quick questions:
1- i need to prolong the time of the fx for autoguns and suchs , i mean the spark from the various weapons need to be visualized little longer ( this is cause i don't want the in fly bullet fx wich is cool for a comic book world, but not in a grim dark universe, there no one see a bullet to dodge it... anyhow i need the spark endure at least the time of the animation, any hint?
2- i have found the file where is stored the comic book like  font used , i want to change it with a more ghotic font but when i open it in a image editor it shows only red and black stripes , anyone knows wich program open this things correctly?
Thanks for reading this.

naitvalis

i need some help, i have done a new skirmish type derived from the skirmish buddy match type and called it warzone it works fine and could spawn 60 enemies but i can't add the allies with the ---------- line just the 4 basic i will post the file here if someone have  :ff: and understand more then me, i need 30 allies and 30 enemies for example . ----  https://files.fm/u/ue6cmu8r4

BentonGrey

Howdy Nait, I missed your earlier post.  I don't know how to prolong how an FX plays, but I'm guessing it can be changed in Nifskope.  I've done a little experimenting with stuff, but I haven't tried to affect that.  My only advice would be to poke around in Nifskope and see if you can find something that controls it.

I was actually just recently looking at changing the font.  I replaced the font file with a different one, but it had no effect, so I'm afraid I can't help there.  If you figure this out, let me know!

I've looked at your script, but I'm afraid it's too advanced for me.  Alex might be able to help.
God Bless

naitvalis

well guess i have no luck this time even, but thank you Ben and of course i will tell you if i find a way to change the font.

naitvalis

Probably another hole in the water but i have to try, is there anyway to boost the ranged attacks via attribute?
I mean create an attribute that enhace projecttile attacks for example, i see some similar attributes already exist, anyone could help?

BentonGrey

So, I'm afraid that this is getting into scripting that is too advanced for me, but it makes sense that this could work.  My suggestion would be to find the code for Light Speed and see if you can modify it to work on projectiles.  Alex or Spyderman might be able to offer more specific suggestions.
God Bless

Epimethee

Hi Naitvalis, you *possibly* could, especially for specific characters, instead of as a general-purpose attribute.

IIRC, custom characters, created with the in-game editor, don't tell the scripting engine which power was used when they launch an attack. (The issue is larger, of course; think of the unique powers available in Dr. Mike's Strangers, etc. not present in his FFX.) In addition, there no reliable way to identify whether an attack was successful: this is why FFX uses carrier attacks, as the registered stun, radioactive, etc. effect can be used to validate success.

Could you detail exactly what you want to achieve? It would help to advise you. And maybe Stumpy could then chime in, if he's available. With Dr. Mike and M25, he was our top FF game engine/FFX expert.

FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

naitvalis

First of all thank you guys for try to give an hand,
Spydermann have helped me a lot with some test of a version of this mod solving a big problem, now i plan to share a link to a more complete version soon for all the community so everyone interested could add contents, play and eventually have fun.
Now Epi what i want to achieve is to have a projectile power with more range for characters like snipers or for characters and vehicles with heavy weapons .

Epimethee

Extending the range of a projectile, hmm? could either be easy or near impossible, depending on what you're looking for. The easy way would be to simply set the power's range to "infinite" in FFEdit. However, if you want to set a finite range, it would be tricky. There's only one not-completely-insane way of doing this I can think of at the moment: 

1. You set power's range to "infinite" in FFEdit (or in Python, through Stumpy's DAT Files modules, documented in the FFX manual).

2. In your Python file, you detect the projectile power, using the Event_RegisterPowerUse() function (or its FFX wrapper, RegPowerUse()).

3. Here comes the heuristic "fun": First, we need to identify the projectiles (1 to 3 projectiles, depending on the power's setting) shot by the character using this power, vs other projectiles shot at them or near them. After Event_RegisterPowerUse() has triggered (plus a slight delay depending on firing animation duration; you could use MLOG Reader's animator detection function or, for a specific character, just hard-code the delay), you list the all projectiles within a small radius of the shooting character. For each projectile, you set a short timer with their names, position, and their 2D angle relative to the shooting character's position. You also save the latter.

4. When the timer expires, you check if the projectiles still exist. For each, you check the position and 2D angle relative to the shooter's previous position. If the angle is close enough to the previous angle and the current position of the projectile is farther from the shooter's previous position, it's probable it was the right projectile.

5. Set a new timer to destroy the projectile(s) when it's out of range (if it still exists). You could make the timer recurring every fraction of second and check the distance from the shooting point every time, but it would be rather inefficient (not that it would matter all that much on modern computers, I guess). The alternative is to get the speed of the projectile (either through DAT Files or using hard-coded values) and calculate the time for the desired distance, so you only need to call the timer once. 

Note that grenades, since they bounce, have a longer range. They could in theory be confused for extra-long range projectiles. Projectiles ricocheting/splitting on hit would also add additional complexity.

naitvalis

This is very interesting Epi, the first thing i have tried  long ago now is the infinite range thing infact, that in  :ff: means to
apply ranged turret flag in the editor but when ingame
Whatever power is created with that flag is hidden so there must be some kind of lock to prevent guys like me to do such horrible thing :) .
So that means that i have to try the more
Brain damaging stuff  :) , i will check your python suggest my friend , thanks  for  your support.

naitvalis

ok finally looks like i've got it to work! for use the infinite range a character cannot buy powers via in-game editor, but need to be built in the external editor so  you could use all the powers builted via editor that doesn't show in the ingame editor.
This is not all of course because if you play with that built-in charactrer directly there are other issues in-game, so you have to copy that character from the built in and create a cutom character copy that could have different name but you cannot modify other things of that character ingame because that result in a new save of that character that accord to the "rules" of the ingame editor wich means "no infinite range".
However i cannot understand why the ranged powers created with infinite in the external editor couldn't be applied directly to a character created ingame...any idea for this?
Also if i cannot buy that kind of powers ingame comes another issue... there is anyway to lock a custom character in a way that cannot be modified accidentaly to prevent the lost of the infinite range  power?

Epimethee

The infinite range isn't supposed to be available to custom characters; it would be too easy to abuse. It was really only there for mission-specific stuff, such as D?j? Vu's cannon.

Stumpy's DAT File module (cf. the FFX Manual) can work with custom characters files. You could run a script at the beginning of the mission to set the power's range. This should be done before the character template has first spawned; otherwise, you can try using the native command loadPowers(), documented in FFvsTTR's FF scripting.doc reference manual. IIRC.

Mind you, unless it's important to your concept, I'd suggest avoiding custom characters altogether if you do a mod with custom scripted powers. The scripting behaviour is different (seems like a rush job done in isolation from the built-in character work) and more limited.