my normal method of adding a gun to a mesh not working

Started by seraglio, July 23, 2019, 04:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seraglio

there are many methods of adding a shrinking object to a mesh

In my case, this model already has two shrinking guns in the right and left hands

Without too much detail, the right gun was screwed. So I pasted over the left one.

Heres where I forget how I used to do this. If I recall (probably dont), basically the NODE NUMBER controlled the shrinking. So all you needed to do is hit ctrl up or down to move the NiNode and NiTrishape until they have the same node numbers positions as the piece you are replacing.

It was something like that but I think I'm missing a step.

Anyone know this method I'm talking about?

seraglio

So I ultimately attached the left gun directly to the right gun and hid the right gun. It works now. But I still recall their was another technique.

Cyber Burn

Using Draven's "The_Phantom" Mesh as an example, I found this:

Adding Guns to a Skope by Doctor Challenger

When the weapon is not visible in NifSkope, it means that its normal size is miniature to render it invisible during resting mode, and it "inflates" to "super-size" to be visible during active mode.  "Replacing" the weapon with a different mesh piece is fairly straightforward, however, very similar to the process for a weapons that NifSkope portrays as visible in resiting mode (like Gren's Cable or Taskmaster). I'll use Draven's The Phantom mesh as example.  When you open the character.nif file, all that is shown on the screen is the male_belt (character body) piece and the holster pieces. 

The 2 pistols (one in each hand) and the knife can't be seen.  You will have to scroll through the nodes to the hands to find the guns (gun_right and gun_left).

I'm going to replace the Mesh's standard guns - .45 automatics -   with Tommyboy's gun_t_mauser. 

First, I need to see what I am doing. Right click gun_right->transform->edit.  The gun piece node location information comes up. Go to scale (bottom of edit window).

Enlarge until mesh piece is visible: for this case it means making the piece 1000 (one thousand) times bigger.(for purposes of this example - it will be different on different meshes)   Now the gun is "normal" sized relative to the rest of the mesh.

Copy gun_t_mauser from source and paste it to gun_right.  WARNING: When it first appears as part of the mesh, IT WILL BE HUGE - 1000 TIMES HUGE! Don't panic (Grab your towel).  Right click gun_t_mauser->transform->edit.  The gun piece node location information comes up. Go to scale (bottom of edit window). Reduce size until it is proportional to rest of mesh (0.0010 for this example).

Delete skininstance node under the Editable mesh node of gun_t_mauser. Otherwise that puppy will bounce all around.

Manipulate X,Y,Z postion and Y, P, R axes of gun_t_mauser until it aligned with gun_right piece.

Hide original gun piece using Editable mesh node (Right click gun_right's Editable mesh node->flags-> check hidden->accept)  DO NOT HIDE THE GUN USING THE gun_right NODE!!! THIS WILL HIDE BOTH GUNS!!!

Right click gun_right->transform->edit.  Reduce mesh piece back to 1.0000, rendering it invisible.

Save.  Repeat for gun_left, if so desired. Save.

Now the Phantom is using kewl Mausers, instead of plain jane .45s.

Not sure if it's what you're looking for though.

SickAlice

The name of the node. The keyframes call for that specific name. This sometimes includes any "Dummy" named nodes but not always. So if the node was named "Right_Gun" for example then it has to always be named that. Or you have to go through and change the string names in the keyframes.

Cybertronian

I have a Taskmaster variant mesh "TM_SixthRanger" that I want to enhance by replacing the existing hand-held sword with Shatterstar's double-bladed sword. If I can't get that one enhanced, I wonder if I could get the longsword swapped out on male_basic_zyuranger.
     -- Cybertronian. :ff:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MetroplexBattleNetwork -- The new Freedom Force fight club that you DO talk about!

(STILL offering incentives to new and unpatched players, PLUS some of my own FX experiments!)

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Cybertronian on April 16, 2020, 04:04:33 AM
I have a Taskmaster variant mesh "TM_SixthRanger" that I want to enhance by replacing the existing hand-held sword with Shatterstar's double-bladed sword. If I can't get that one enhanced, I wonder if I could get the longsword swapped out on male_basic_zyuranger.
     -- Cybertronian. :ff:

If you want to send me the "TM_SixthRanger" and the "Shatterstar" Mesh that you are using, I can add them to my list of things to check out. Let me know and I'll PM you an email address.

Cybertronian

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MetroplexBattleNetwork -- The new Freedom Force fight club that you DO talk about!

(STILL offering incentives to new and unpatched players, PLUS some of my own FX experiments!)